SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

I thought that National Signing Day was in Feb?

It was. Point is that coaches recruit verbal commitments to other schools right up until they no longer can (NSD). As a preferred walk-on, Joe is essentially just a verbal commitment, there is nothing binding him to UND until he attends a practice or class. As such, like verbal commitments elsewhere, he is continuing to be recruited by other schools.

Nothing new on Schobert, but stumbled across a couple of posts over on BadgerNation, one of them from someone who watched Joe play in H.S. and seems to vouch for his athleticism. The poster wonders if Bucky game him any PWO consideration or if that still might be in the offing.

http://mbd.scout.com...=2561&t=9151372

Wisconsin really didn't show much interest at all, even as a preferred walk-on, during the season. Their interest has come mainly from around the time of the All-Star game and its practices.

Wisconsin really didn't show much interest at all, even as a preferred walk-on, during the season. Their interest has come mainly from around the time of the All-Star game and its practices.

What do you think the chances are he ends up at UND? Also what schools are trying to get him?

I think he can play running back. On defense, I think outside linebacker may be his best position actually (and that's what the coaches felt too but didn't want to put their star running back in that position to take additional pounding) but he could play safety as well and do quite well at it.

BTW, Schobert high jumped 6-6 this year.

I think he can play running back. On defense, I think outside linebacker may be his best position actually (and that's what the coaches felt too but didn't want to put their star running back in that position to take additional pounding) but he could play safety as well and do quite well at it.

BTW, Schobert high jumped 6-6 this year.

Travis - During and after Schobert's junior year, he was reported to be one of the top recruits coming of Wisconsin in the 2012 graduation class. What happened - why did everyone back off on him?

I'm not sure. I said many times during the year that he was the most underrecruited kid in the state. I think Schobert was just below the top kids on most teams boards at running back. Some schools looked at him at defensive back or linebacker, but it wasn't until a bit later in the process, and many spots were filled. Personally, I think he could play running back, receiver, defensive back or linebacker at the next level, and should have had multiple DI-FCS and non-BCS offers. I could have seen him squeezing a BCS offer or two even. But, for whatever reason, it didn't work out that way and people missed out.

The obvious question seems to be, if he is going to be such a great player for UND, why is he not being offered a scholarship at UND?

I have never seen so much hoopla over a preferred walk on in my life. If he is really that good, why didn't UND see him as a priority?

The obvious question seems to be, if he is going to be such a great player for UND, why is he not being offered a scholarship at UND?

I have never seen so much hoopla over a preferred walk on in my life. If he is really that good, why didn't UND see him as a priority?

Simple answer: they didn't have to offer him a scholarship to get him, so why would they?

• Upvote 1

He accepted a preferred walk on so there was no reason to offer him a scholarship until there was word of other schools trying to swoop in. At that point there were no more scholarships available to give. Although I'm guessing Muss is looking at ways to get him some money if that's what it takes to keep him.

They identified him before everyone else and got him as a walk-on. He then blew up and schools came in late and the situation changed.

He must be pretty good for NDSU to try to steal UND's walk on by giving him a scholarship.

They identified him before everyone else and got him as a walk-on. He then blew up and schools came in late and the situation changed.

He must be pretty good for NDSU to try to steal UND's walk on by giving him a scholarship.

NDSU really didn't want him anyway. Just like Molberg!! :D

Simple answer: they didn't have to offer him a scholarship to get him, so why would they?

I understand, but when they were recruiting him they didn't know that he wouldn't pick up other offers later. Not offering him a scholarship shows he wasn't very high on the priority list. So why is everyone acting like he is the next Digger Anderson?

So all of a sudden he has a good all-star game and he is a different kind of player? I don't buy it.

If 3 years of high school tape doesn't convince a team that a kid needs to be a priority and will likely be a star, I don't understand how one game can change someone's mind.

He accepted a preferred walk on so there was no reason to offer him a scholarship until there was word of other schools trying to swoop in. At that point there were no more scholarships available to give. Although I'm guessing Muss is looking at ways to get him some money if that's what it takes to keep him.

That's not the way it works and you guys know it.

You offer a player what they are worth, not what you hope to get them for.

If what you are saying were true, every player would be offered a preferred walk-on offer first and if they turned it down they would up the offer and if they didn't accept that they would up the offer again etc.

That's not the way it works and you guys know it.

You offer a player what they are worth, not what you hope to get them for.

If what you are saying were true, every player would be offered a preferred walk-on offer first and if they turned it down they would up the offer and if they didn't accept that they would up the offer again etc.

You're looking at it wrong, the only reason he didn't get a scholarship offer is because of his relative demand. If other schools weren't going to offer him and UND knew it than they can get two good players by using the scholarship on someone else and still get Schobert as a walk on especially since it's FCS and there are lower scholarship amounts