SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

He's on the fall roster and was introduced as a preferred walk on. I don't think either can happen unless there's a signed Letter of Intent.

Walk-ons sign "commitment papers" but they are in no way binding like a Letter of Intent. Walk-ons are announced as part of recruiting classes on Signing Day, just like scholarship players. I believe the stipulation allowing a college to comment on a walk-on is that the athlete is admitted to the school.

Regarding being on the fall roster, it doesn't mean anything in terms of being able to go elsewhere. Players aren't considered part of the team and therefore under transfer rules until (from NCAA site):

-- enrolled full time at a two-year or four-year school in a regular academic term? (Summer does

not count.)

-- reported for practice with the regular squad

-- practiced or played while enrolled part time

Walk-ons sign "commitment papers" but they are in no way binding like a Letter of Intent. Walk-ons are announced as part of recruiting classes on Signing Day, just like scholarship players. I believe the stipulation allowing a college to comment on a walk-on is that the athlete is admitted to the school.

Regarding being on the fall roster, it doesn't mean anything in terms of being able to go elsewhere. Players aren't considered part of the team and therefore under transfer rules until (from NCAA site):

-- enrolled full time at a two-year or four-year school in a regular academic term? (Summer does

not count.)

-- reported for practice with the regular squad

-- practiced or played while enrolled part time

Any info on who is trying to get him late?

Hopefully he will honor his committment to UND. A week or two before fall camp would be kind of late notice. If he does back out maybe we wouldn't have wanted hinm anyway.

I couldn't fault him for taking a scholarship offer somewhere, you don't say no to someone paying for your education, not in this economy.

Now, if he leaves for just another preferred walk-on...

• Upvote 2

I couldn't fault him for taking a scholarship offer somewhere, you don't say no to someone paying for your education, not in this economy.

Now, if he leaves for just another preferred walk-on...

I suppose you are right but none the less it is still late notice. There are a lot of people that wouldn't back out though. I am sure he will end up with money here before long if he stays.

Even if Schobert slips through our fingers, I still love our LB corps of the future. Labat, Jared Tuilagi, J.D. Allen, Taj Rich -- all appear to be the real deal and underrated recruits, at least on the national scene. Now throw Schobert in there and LOOK OUT!

Even if Schobert slips through our fingers, I still love our LB corps of the future. Labat, Jared Tuilagi, J.D. Allen, Taj Rich -- all appear to be the real deal and underrated recruits, at least on the national scene. Now throw Schobert in there and LOOK OUT!

I'm curious to see if they would try him out at safety.

What I like is that we are pitted against Wisconsin for a recruit. Tells me we are getting after the right players.

Also, for him to be debating a possible walk-on from Wisconsin vs. a walk-on from UND is pretty impressive. Plus him turning down a late, bush league scholarship offer from NDSU to steal him is even better.

• Upvote 1

When you're desperate you're desperate

NDSU is not desperate I imagine. I presume NDSU saw the guy had potential and showed it in some All-Star game, correct? He wasn't signed to anything. Threw an offer out. Worth a try if they wanted him. Nothing wrong with doing that. If it isn't against any NCAA rules that is.