SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

I wish you the best, however I do have a bad taste in my mouth if the offer was rescinded for my son, using the twitters as an excuse, when someone else became available. If this was the case, then the character of your program is in doubt to me. This kid didn't 't deserve that. He is workable, coach able, and teachable. You can't play with kids like that. This is their future. I wish you the best and hope the new direction works out.

• Upvote 1

Top 20 in the nation, not state. He played in the Under Armour game after high school. Apples and Oranges with him and Bradley.

Shows what I know.................

Like I said, I'm not much on recruiting......................

Top 20 in the USA is more impressive that top 20 in NC...............

Sorry, Braden Hanson........................................... :sad:

No disrespect to Hanson intended, but is North Carolina a hotbed of football?

It is solid football I think. North Carolina has started to put together a decent program. I imagine like most schools down there, they do it with in-state talent.

It is solid football I think. North Carolina has started to put together a decent program. I imagine like most schools down there, they do it with in-state talent.

Yeah, like I said I don't follow recruiting for any sport all that closely. When I think North Carolina, I think basketball, not football.............

No disrespect to Hanson intended, but is North Carolina a hotbed of football? Top 20 QB in North Carolina doesn't do much for me. I'm sure he has talent, or North Dakota wouldn't have been looking at him.

My concern is that we've had a long line of solid QB's here, that didn't transfer in at the last minute..............

You can't be serious in questioning this when our team is in desolate North Dakota. Given our current situation this is as good as it gets man! Now he can bridge the gap between the two young guys so they can be as close to ready as possible after next season. Time will tell all here but at this point we are in a much better position this year compared to last year at this time.

I wish you the best, however I do have a bad taste in my mouth if the offer was rescinded for my son, using the twitters as an excuse, when someone else became available. If this was the case, then the character of your program is in doubt to me. This kid didn't 't deserve that. He is workable, coach able, and teachable. You can't play with kids like that. This is their future. I wish you the best and hope the new direction works out.

It's all speculation on here about what really went on with your son and UND. My only comment is that if a player isn't truely committed and wanting to be at a school then it rarely works out for the best. Good luck to him in the future, I hope he gets what he wants and lands at school that is more to his liking.

• Upvote 2

I have been following this situation and while I certainly respect your thoughts based on who you are, I must defend the staff on this one. The tweets were certainly enough to rescind the offer on their own merit. His tweets were negative about UND even AFTER he had gotten the offer and accepted verbally. He was questioning whether he really wanted to go to North Dakota, that he may say screw it and not play football at all - just stay out there. In fact, he said prior to the verbal scholarship offer that he did NOT want to go to North Dakota.

These tweets were made available on this website and the overwhelming conclusion was that the kid did not really care about UND football and it showed. One thing to consider: if the tweets were not that bad, why did he delete them?

Once again, I fully respect your opinion and I am disappointed that this did not work out. Your kid has talent and myself and others on here sincerely wish him the best.

We would rip a kid if he verballed and decommitted but this is the reverse...you don't offer a recruit, have the recruit and then pull the plug. Something tells me that we wouldn't have pulled the offer if the transfer QB didn't come to the table. This is something that will hurt us recruiting...other schools will be sure to mention it.

Annette, I'm sorry your son was treated this way. I do believe that (after reading his twitter) he has some growing up to do, but I appreciate the fact that you acknowledge that. UND football should have stuck by it's word and stayed committed to the kid.

What's the saying...what goes around comes around...

We would rip a kid if he verballed and decommitted but this is the reverse...you don't offer a recruit, have the recruit and then pull the plug. Something tells me that we wouldn't have pulled the offer if the transfer QB didn't come to the table. This is something that will hurt us recruiting...other schools will be sure to mention it.

Annette, I'm sorry your son was treated this way. I do believe that (after reading his twitter) he has some growing up to do, but I appreciate the fact that you acknowledge that. UND football should have stuck by it's word and stayed committed to the kid.

If the kid never signed a Letter of Intent there is nothing binding him to the school or vice versa. Kid openly admitted he wasn't 100% sure about the choice. Nothing wrong with heading a different direction and he may find something that suites him better.

Here's an interesting tweet about something that could potentially have a huge impact on FCS:
I wouldn't worry too much. Lots of things get tossed around in committee. Some coaches...cough...cough...Frank...Beamer...cough...cough...attempt to eliminate the cut block every year. If something makes it out to the membership, then there's a problem.

The 85 to 80 is a nice ruse to distract from the other issue: "full cost of attendance" scholarships.

http://www.obsessedwithsports.com/2011/06/07/full-cost-of-attendance-scholarships-could-change-the-college-football-landscape/

Like that story says,

If the NCAA decides to get behind the idea of awarding scholarships based on “full cost of attendance,” the gap between the BCS schools and non-BCS schools will grow even wider.

So on one hand they'll lower the scholarship limit number (which sounds wonderful and more equitable in a press release or news story) but actually raise the total price of an FBS football program. That works to the advantage of the BCS conferences. The gap widens.

If a woman you were going to marry said some of the same things that this kid did, intimating that it is only because they couldn't find something better, would you still get married? In the team concept of sports, you better have someone at the leadership position that isn't going to be a wedge or someone who is constantly complaining. It is kind of like a marriage, you better be able to go through the rough spots, or you are doomed from the start. What would his attitude have been if Bradley played instead of him? Would he have been as good as Bradley was at supporting Goska? Don't know if his offer was pulled because of the North Carolina guy or because of the tweets, or because of a combination therein, but I don't want someone here that isn't sure he wants to be here, because a bad attitude sometimes can become contagious.

Great analogy!

Except that you have no idea, unless you are part of the coaching staff, what the details were in this situation. Nor do I.

Mom's have a duty to stand up for their sons. Way to go Mom - and I mean that. This Mom obviously realized that her son made a mistake and needs to mature a little bit. It's probably best for both sides that this relationship was terminated - he would not have been happy here if he felt he was settling for less than what he wanted.