SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Football Schedules 2011-2015

ShilohSioux

Although they will vehemently deny it in public, many Bison fans are secretly wishing this is true. The will not admit it, since the Sioux got there first and they are in the MVFC, which fits their needs, but they envy the Sioux's position as members of the Big Sky. They would be great travel partners for basketball, volleyball, soccer, tennis, etc, however, but in my humble no-insights opinion, its ok that the schools have gone their separate ways. If NDSU ever came to their senses and admitted out loud what they are thinking but afraid to admit, it would be great to rekindle the Sioux-Bison rivalry within the Big Sky.

Its funny how the MVFC fits their needs (recruiting, travel) but when they were in the GWFC the Big Sky was on their radar and they hated the idea of going to the Gateway(MVFC), then UNC went to the BSC and they got even more pissed. But I guess they can slam the Big Sky all they want, hurts my feelings none. I love our new conference. :D

Although they will vehemently deny it in public, many Bison fans are secretly wishing this is true. The will not admit it, since the Sioux got there first and they are in the MVFC, which fits their needs, but they envy the Sioux's position as members of the Big Sky. They would be great travel partners for basketball, volleyball, soccer, tennis, etc, however, but in my humble no-insights opinion, its ok that the schools have gone their separate ways. If NDSU ever came to their senses and admitted out loud what they are thinking but afraid to admit, it would be great to rekindle the Sioux-Bison rivalry within the Big Sky.

NDSU just cannot afford to leave, as they would owe both the Summit and the MVFC $1 mill each to leave (and then pay the Big Sky entry fee). Considering that the SHAC still doesn't have full funding, > $2 mill is just not affordable. Paying out that kind of money would delay the SHAC another 10 years. :lol: They'd also lose their conference home for baseball and would need to add tennis teams. With Newman Field, it probably would be unacceptable and embarrassing to drop baseball, but since they don't really fund baseball anyway, what's the diff? ;):lol:

NDSU just cannot afford to leave, as they would owe both the Summit and the MVFC $1 mill each to leave (and then pay the Big Sky entry fee). Considering that the SHAC still doesn't have full funding, > $2 mill is just not affordable. Paying out that kind of money would delay the SHAC another 10 years. :lol: They'd also lose their conference home for baseball and would need to add tennis teams. With Newman Field, it probably would be unacceptable and embarrassing to drop baseball, but since they don't really fund baseball anyway, what's the diff? ;):lol:

What's your baseball teams record? You're both delusional to think the Bison want to change conferences. But keep telling yourselves that - does it really make you feel better?

What's your baseball teams record? You're both delusional to think the Bison want to change conferences. But keep telling yourselves that - does it really make you feel better?

I don't know, does it make you feel better to come on here and tell us what is best for UND?

Snow in May? College baseball just doesn't make sense at either school unless they changed they changed the season to summer.

You are rewriting history if you don't think bison fans lusted after the Big Sky. Sour grapes alone have changed your view. And beyond that, your now married to the fat chick (Summit League), and the divorce settlement would delay the SHAC. Sucks not to marry for love! ;)

• Downvote 1

Snow in May? College baseball just doesn't make sense at either school unless they changed they changed the season to summer.

You are rewriting history if you don't think bison fans lusted after the Big Sky. Sour grapes alone have changed your view. And beyond that, your now married to the fat chick (Summit League), and the divorce settlement would delay the SHAC. Sucks not to marry for love! ;)

We were like you lusting after ANY conference when you don't have one. Not sour grapes that's your opinion - NDSU is very happy where were at conference wise. The only "fat chick" is what your future conference members think about you as a new member. After a year or two the bitching will really start. ;)

• Downvote 1

NDSU wan't to get into any conference but really wanted to get into the Big Sky. UND wanted to get into any conference too but really wanted to get into the Big Sky. Big Sky members voted no on NDSU. Big Sky members voted yes on UND. UND is very happened to be where they are. NDSU didn't get what they wanted but I guess they are settling for what was left and are still happy because they at least got in a conference. Both schools are happy for different reasons.

NDSU wan't to get into any conference but really wanted to get into the Big Sky. UND wanted to get into any conference too but really wanted to get into the Big Sky. Big Sky members voted no on NDSU. Big Sky members voted yes on UND. UND is very happened to be where they are. NDSU didn't get what they wanted but I guess they are settling for what was left and are still happy because they at least got in a conference. Both schools are happy for different reasons.

Sober up!

Its funny how the MVFC fits their needs (recruiting, travel) but when they were in the GWFC the Big Sky was on their radar and they hated the idea of going to the Gateway(MVFC), then UNC went to the BSC and they got even more pissed. But I guess they can slam the Big Sky all they want, hurts my feelings none. I love our new conference. :D

Pretty sure NDSU fans never hated the idea of joining of the MVFC/Gateway, most fans loved the idea. The only reason nobody was enthusiastic about it was because the Gateway didn't show any interest in adding NDSU until three or four years into our transition. The Big Sky showed immediate interest.

As for NDSU joining the Big Sky, most coaches would revolt. Nobody wants to deal with that extra travel burden for a conference that is just as good as the one we are in.

Pretty sure NDSU fans never hated the idea of joining of the MVFC/Gateway, most fans loved the idea. The only reason nobody was enthusiastic about it was because the Gateway didn't show any interest in adding NDSU until three or four years into our transition. The Big Sky showed immediate interest.

As for NDSU joining the Big Sky, most coaches would revolt. Nobody wants to deal with that extra travel burden for a conference that is just as good as the one we are in.

I'll agree with you on the point about the MVFC/Gateway for football. Always been a nice league, but wasn't really on the radar when UNC, NDSU, and SDSU moved up................when the opportunity presented itself for the XDSU's, I'm sure they were not only pleasantly surprised, but ecstatic.

I'll disagree with you on the point of "most coaches would revolt" the Big Sky scenario. Pretty much every school in the Summit League wishes that they were in a different league. That includes NDSU, SDSU, ORU, and even USD who all wish they were in the Missouri Valley Conference. Oakland, IPFW, and IUPUI would cut off their noses to be in the Horizon Leauge. You can't say the same about Big Sky members.

Across the board competetively, the Summit and Big Sky are certainly on par with one another. The difference, IMO, is that the Summit is a friendly entry level conference, while the Big Sky is a destination conference for schools that sponser FCS football.

I thought that the only reason that NDSU got into the MVFC is because SDSU held out until NDSU was included. The MVFC did not want NDSU. But, if you want to think that the MVFC wanted you guys thats cool.

I thought that the only reason that NDSU got into the MVFC is because SDSU held out until NDSU was included. The MVFC did not want NDSU. But, if you want to think that the MVFC wanted you guys thats cool.

Every member but two(SIU and Indiana State) was in favor of adding NDSU. When SDSU said it is both or none, SIU and Indiana State came on board, initially they had issues with the travel of making multiple trips to the Dakotas. Those same schools complained when USD was added.

Every member but two(SIU and Indiana State) was in favor of adding NDSU. When SDSU said it is both or none, SIU and Indiana State came on board, initially they had issues with the travel of making multiple trips to the Dakotas. Those same schools complained when USD was added.

I thought that Youngstown was again it also. Again, I was simply trying to remind a fan base that tends to rip on UND about the Big Sky that they were very close to being in the Great West Football Conference with USD and UND and that the Gateway/MVFC was no slam dunk for NDSU. It is another reason why I am really excited about the Big Sky and in my opinion UND was very close to indy football.

I'll agree with you on the point about the MVFC/Gateway for football. Always been a nice league, but wasn't really on the radar when UNC, NDSU, and SDSU moved up................when the opportunity presented itself for the XDSU's, I'm sure they were not only pleasantly surprised, but ecstatic.

I'll disagree with you on the point of "most coaches would revolt" the Big Sky scenario. Pretty much every school in the Summit League wishes that they were in a different league. That includes NDSU, SDSU, ORU, and even USD who all wish they were in the Missouri Valley Conference. Oakland, IPFW, and IUPUI would cut off their noses to be in the Horizon Leauge. You can't say the same about Big Sky members.

Across the board competetively, the Summit and Big Sky are certainly on par with one another. The difference, IMO, is that the Summit is a friendly entry level conference, while the Big Sky is a destination conference for schools that sponser FCS football.

did you mean MVFC?

The only apples to apples comparison for having full invites into the Big Sky or the Summit/MVFC was USD. No one else had invites to across the board to both. NDSU and SDSU did not get Big Sky invites, and UND did not get an MVFC invite.

Would UND have gone to the Big Sky if they had a Summit/MVFC invite on the table? All we know is what USD did when both were fully offered. I will say, the Summit matches up better with the sports offered at NDSU. Baseball/Softball is important to be in-conf as far as I am concerned.

That's kind of ironic, since most schools in the Big Sky would cut off their noses to get UND out of their conference. That is sad but true. UND needs the "Fat Chick" form 75 miles south of them to join their league to keep the other schools from revolting. Even the school that rules the Big Sky (U of Mont) and is supposedly a supporter of UND (perhaps their only one) apparently didn't want to make UND one of its rivals in football.

Truth be told, when NDSU was seeking membership in the Big Sky, there wasn't a MVFC or Gateway/Summit or Mid Con option. If there were that option they may very well have picked the Mid Con/Gateway.

If UND had the choice between the Big Sky or MVFC/Summit, I think they would have chosen the MVFC/Summit. So in fact, they settled for what was their only option and probably thier second choice.

• Downvote 2

I am just amazed at how many people know the inner workings of the Summit, the MVFC, the MVC, the Big Sky, and the president's offices at NDSU, UND, Montana, and a host of other schools.

My these places must have mammoth board rooms to hold all the people who attend all of these "inner workings" meetings so they are able to come here ... and report so much completely contradictory information from being in the same places. :silly:

That's kind of ironic, since most schools in the Big Sky would cut off their noses to get UND out of their conference. That is sad but true. UND needs the "Fat Chick" form 75 miles south of them to join their league to keep the other schools from revolting. Even the school that rules the Big Sky (U of Mont) and is supposedly a supporter of UND (perhaps their only one) apparently didn't want to make UND one of its rivals in football.

Really?

1) Which school has said they don't want UND in the Big Sky? Are you going to say Montana State? Ash-hole is unhappy because Montana got Eastern Washington and they didn't. It didn't matter which new teams joined the league, Montana is the money game and they will get the best rivalry game, not Montana State. If Montana State wouldn't have got UND they would have got UNC and Ash would have cried about that too.

2) UND doesn't need NDSU for anything. Ever. They could use a travel partner from the midwest, if they don't get one they will stick with UNC and it will be fine.

3) See #1. Montana is the draw and gets the 2 best rivalry games, Montana State and EWU, end of story. UND and the rest of the conference had no chance of getting Montana from those 2 schools, it has nothing to do with how Montana views UND, it has everything to do with the Big Sky wanting to showcase their best teams in the biggest rivalries.

• Upvote 1

Truth be told, when NDSU was seeking membership in the Big Sky, there wasn't a MVFC or Gateway/Summit or Mid Con option. If there were that option they may very well have picked the Mid Con/Gateway.

If UND had the choice between the Big Sky or MVFC/Summit, I think they would have chosen the MVFC/Summit. So in fact, they settled for what was their only option and probably thier second choice.

Envy

1. : painful or resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with a desire to possess the same advantage

I think being rejected twice by the Big Sky has left the bison fans a little envious.

I was ecstatic when the Summit visit was canceled, signaling entrance to the Big Sky.

The rivals were set up geographic proximity.

And for the most part it worked out well, Northern Colorado doesn't have their 2 closest teams as rivals but them being right next to the Denver airport and an easy hop to anywhere probably factored in somewhat.

You could make an argument for having the 3 California schools in one pod...Montana, Montana State, and UND in another...EWU, Portland State, and Idaho State in a third...which would leave Southern Utah, Weber, Northern Arizona, and Northern Colorado to make a 4th between the 4 of them...that would make sense too but then you wouldn't have Montana/EWU or Idaho State/Weber as rivals which wasn't going to happen. Overall they did the best they could all factors considered.

Amazining how bison fans know about the feelings of the Big Sky conference when they aren't even a member. We are very fortunate that your fanbase cares so much about a conference they didn't want to be in or a school they don't care about anymore to keep tabs on what every school in the conference thinks about UND's membership. Thank you for sharing since everything that has been made public about how Big Sky schools feel about UND's addition has been positive, except for one person. There was more complaining years back when ndsu was added to the MVFC but according to your fanbase that was a happy marriage. Funny how jealousy makes a fanbase think.