SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Football Schedules 2011-2015

ShilohSioux

I just keep looking at the 2013 schedule and how insanely awesome it is. It will be an extremely difficult one as well.

-7 home games

-4 consecutive home games to open the season

-3 extremely high interest home games with UM, MSU, & SDSU........2 more very intriguing home games with EWU & UNC

-No back-to-back road trips-Regular season finale with a November road trip to sunny Davis, CA (I highly recommend anyone who could make this trip do so)

With a good product on the field, attendance could push the Alerus Center's capacity in 2013.

2013 is a 12 game year. I wouldn't be surprised though if UND sticks with just the 11 games. You could potentially squeeze in an FBS game on Sept 21, but I doubt the staff would be much in favor of sandwiching that in between the Griz and Cats. Nice to have a bye week in between those two games. If they did want 12, I wonder if it would be at all feasible to get a cupcake in on the last day of the season. Assuming we'll have first round bye in the playoffs that season ;) , I'd rather do that and have 8 home games than have 2 consecutive weeks off going into the post-season. :)

I have a friend that lives outside Portland, and UND is at Portland State so I will be there on the road. I have only been to 2 road games UND @ NDSU, and UND @ Bemidji State.....I cannot wait!!!

Does anyone know about UND's contract with Fox College Sports. Is it still valid and through what year?? We need that perk for BSC play to put UND over the top!!

I would be shocked if it wasn't renewed or if UND didn't find another network, Fighting SIoux hockey brings in a lot of viewers.

Understood. It's just that he's been pissing and moaning over just the thought of expansion since the subject has come up. I just find it odd that a head coach that's only been in the Big Sky for 3 years is so publicly vocal about the expansion process.

It ain't like he's Eddie Robinson.....................

I think it's funny that Montana won the conference 14 of the last 15 years before this year and now Ash thinks he's the spokesman for the conference with 1 shared title under his belt, that guy is really starting to bug me.

This guy sounds like a real tool..................

He's been whining since last fall when the Big Sky was mulling over expansion at all.

He acts like he was the founder of the Big Sky when in fact just 3 years ago he was coaching non-schollie ball in the Pioneer League. The only reason he has his current job is because Dale Lennon bowed out.

I'm already starting to really dislike the Bob-kittens................

I don't think this is personal against UND or the other new BSC teams and I do understand his disappointment. 13 is a very awkward number for a conference. Right now, the Big Sky has a true champion -- everyone plays everyone and it's clean-cut. With 13 there will be disputes. How can you legitimately crown a conference champion if two teams go 8-0 or 7-1, or what if a team goes 8-0 but doesn't play Montana and another top team, while the 7-1 team plays a much tougher schedule. With USD there would have been 14 and a two-division setup but 13 is an awful number for a football league.

I don't think this is personal against UND or the other new BSC teams and I do understand his disappointment. 13 is a very awkward number for a conference. Right now, the Big Sky has a true champion -- everyone plays everyone and it's clean-cut. With 13 there will be disputes. How can you legitimately crown a conference champion if two teams go 8-0 or 7-1, or what if a team goes 8-0 but doesn't play Montana and another top team, while the 7-1 team plays a soft schedule. With USD there would have been 14 and a two-division setup but 13 is an awful number for a football league.

You're right about the lack of true scheduling, USD put a kink in that plan.

I would just add that 5 is a truly awful number for a football league too. :)

Does anybody know if the BSC is considering adding another member to help balance it out?

I would guess with them just releasing the next 4 years schedules they probably aren't in a big hurry, but nothing would surprise me...one more team would be so good for scheduling.

Rumor has it its NDSU. :lol::lol:

DISCLAIMER: The following comment should in no way be considered an endorsement or recommendation and is simply a neutral observation. It is not intended to cause hate and discontent, and should be taken as such.

They would actually be a better fit than most, not only from the standpoint of their facilities and athletics, but their location would be desireable for the league as far as travel partners go. Having the 2 big North Dakota schools and the 2 big Montana schools in the same league would be exciting.

But they're happy where they're at and we're happy where we're at, so we'll do our thing and they'll do theirs and it'll all work out.

Maybe we could host a fundraiser to help South Dakota pay their way out of the Summit/MVFC and into the BSC. :lol: Seriously though, I wonder who they would select if they were to expand by one.

I'm sure they would still like to have one from the midwest to travel partner with UND, who that could be I'm not sure. USD would have been the perfect fit, now that they have slipped out the BSC might not rush to replace them and work on recruiting someone else long-term.

DISCLAIMER: The following comment should in no way be considered an endorsement or recommendation and is simply a neutral observation. It is not intended to cause hate and discontent, and should be taken as such.

They would actually be a better fit than most, not only from the standpoint of their facilities and athletics, but their location would be desireable for the league as far as travel partners go. Having the 2 big North Dakota schools and the 2 big Montana schools in the same league would be exciting.

But they're happy where they're at and we're happy where we're at, so we'll do our thing and they'll do theirs and it'll all work out.

Agree. Not a fan of NDSU or some of their fans either, but by and large they would be the best fit for the BSC and for UND. An eastern/northern division of 7 with UND, NDSU, UM, MSU, UNC, and perhaps ISU and EWU and an southern/western division of CP, PSU, Weber, NAU, SUU, UCD, and Sac State seems like a nice conference too me with an oppty for a championship game if two teams would not be likely for the FCS playoffs. Also might be conducive to move up to FBS later. Am I repeating something some else has proposed earlier. If so, sorry.

The other possibility is that the BSC is waiting to see if Sacramento, Portland or someone else goes to the WAC. If Sac went Wac-y, that would leave the BSC with 10/12. Unlikely, however, since Sac & Cal Davis probably embrace being conference foes and the WAC being in the unstable position it presently is...

I just keep looking at the 2013 schedule and how insanely awesome it is. It will be an extremely difficult one as well.

-7 home games

-4 consecutive home games to open the season

-3 extremely high interest home games with UM, MSU, & SDSU........2 more very intriguing home games with EWU & UNC

-No back-to-back road trips

-Regular season finale with a November road trip to sunny Davis, CA (I highly recommend anyone who could make this trip do so)

With a good product on the field, attendance could push the Alerus Center's capacity in 2013.

2013 is a 12 game year. I wouldn't be surprised though if UND sticks with just the 11 games. You could potentially squeeze in an FBS game on Sept 21, but I doubt the staff would be much in favor of sandwiching that in between the Griz and Cats. Nice to have a bye week in between those two games. If they did want 12, I wonder if it would be at all feasible to get a cupcake in on the last day of the season. Assuming we'll have first round bye in the playoffs that season ;) , I'd rather do that and have 8 home games than have 2 consecutive weeks off going into the post-season. :)

Excellent post Bin. That 2013 home schedule is right now, on paper, the best home schedule that any 4 of the Dakota teams has put together and it isn't even close. 3 of the teams are from neighboring states/playoff contenders and one is the 2010 National Champion. I am skeptical that the Montana game is still on because of the league mandated 2012-2014 games but I have read on here where Sean Johnson said they are so lets go with it.

My question: I can guarantee UND wants to keep the bye week on October 26, the middle of October is a perfect time for one. Do the Sioux need to play an FBS game on Sept 21st if they already have 7 home games and the gate that will come from them? Debatable. One team we did hear about was New Mexico State. Don't know if it was for 2013 but that would be an alright team to play because they are a lower end FBS team and the Sioux shouldn't get beat up playing them.

Which leads me to a new point. UND needs to start scheduling winnable FBS games (MAC or run-first teams). It is quite apparent that was Gene Taylor's model in scheduling if you look at the records of the teams they have played and it has worked (if UND could only know which ones are going to fire their coaches the year before too like Gene :huh: ) . SDSU has had a fairly tough FBS schedule as it turned out mainly due to Neb. For UND, the combined records of the 3 FBS teams they have played is 26-14 and 2 of the 3 won their bowl game. Wyoming will be a nice fit if UND can improve.

Excellent post Bin. That 2013 home schedule is right now, on paper, the best home schedule that any 4 of the Dakota teams has put together and it isn't even close. 3 of the teams are from neighboring states/playoff contenders and one is the 2010 National Champion. I am skeptical that the Montana game is still on because of the league mandated 2012-2014 games but I have read on here where Sean Johnson said they are so lets go with it.

My question: I can guarantee UND wants to keep the bye week on October 26, the middle of October is a perfect time for one. Do the Sioux need to play an FBS game on Sept 21st if they already have 7 home games and the gate that will come from them? Debatable. One team we did hear about was New Mexico State. Don't know if it was for 2013 but that would be an alright team to play because they are a lower end FBS team and the Sioux shouldn't get beat up playing them.

Which leads me to a new point. UND needs to start scheduling winnable FBS games (MAC or run-first teams). It is quite apparent that was Gene Taylor's model in scheduling if you look at the records of the teams they have played and it has worked (if UND could only know which ones are going to fire their coaches the year before too like Gene :huh: ) . SDSU has had a fairly tough FBS schedule as it turned out mainly due to Neb. For UND, the combined records of the 3 FBS teams they have played is 26-14 and 2 of the 3 won their bowl game. Wyoming will be a nice fit if UND can improve.

UND did play MAC N. Illinois and almost won, maybe Kent State or E. Michigan could get us a win in the FBS, but look at Texas Tech...UND down by only 11 with the ball late. That would be as big as upset as the Michigan/App State game, because TT was a national title race contender the previous season.

I like the idea of forgoing the FBS game that year. With 7 home games, and doubling up on FBS games in '10 & '11, hopefully they'll have built up enough coin that they won't feel they need the money game that year. With 2014 also being a 12 game season, I wouldn't be surprised to see them book two FBS opponents that year, and they'd still be able to do 6 home games.

And it looks to me like Fightingsioux.com has the dates posted incorrectly in the schedule section of football page for the 2013 schedule. The official release from the Big Sky and the original release from UND shows us with no bye week once conference play begins, with Sac St. on October 26. Just a typo by whoever transferred the schedules into the schedule section of the football page, which shows us playing UC Davis on November 23. We actually play UC Davis on Nov 16. UC Davis and Sac St. will always be played on the final day of the regular season along with Weber vs. Idaho St., Eastern Washington vs. Portland St., and Montana vs. Montana St.

I like the idea of forgoing the FBS game that year. With 7 home games, and doubling up on FBS games in '10 & '11, hopefully they'll have built up enough coin that they won't feel they need the money game that year. With 2014 also being a 12 game season, I wouldn't be surprised to see them book two FBS opponents that year, and they'd still be able to do 6 home games.

And it looks to me like Fightingsioux.com has the dates posted incorrectly in the schedule section of football page for the 2013 schedule. The official release from the Big Sky and the original release from UND shows us with no bye week once conference play begins, with Sac St. on October 26. Just a typo by whoever transferred the schedules into the schedule section of the football page, which shows us playing UC Davis on November 23. We actually play UC Davis on Nov 16. UC Davis and Sac St. will always be played on the final day of the regular season along with Weber vs. Idaho St., Eastern Washington vs. Portland St., and Montana vs. Montana St.

Good catch. Now that the unscheduled date is the last week of the year it makes me wonder if UND will pull a Cal-Poly (Wisconsin) and schedule their FBS game that last week. That would give them 12 games total, 7 home games, and an FBS game. Doesn't get much better than that.

Looked on eGriz today to see if they were saying anything about the 2013 game (like if they were still coming) but as usual the football board had broken down into a Cat-Griz vulgarity, insult, and intelligence questioning filled argument. So needless to say there was no real information to be had, at least on this day.

It gets chippy on here with Gopher hockey fans and Bison fans once in a while but these guys are brutal, they flat hate each other and are allowed to let it be known.

Makes you appreciate the way this site is run.

Does anyone know about UND's contract with Fox College Sports. Is it still valid and through what year?? We need that perk for BSC play to put UND over the top!!

The FCS contract expires after this year. With Sioux hockey as a drawing card as well as Big Sky action available in 2012-13, betting on a contract with Fox on multiple networks (FSN, FCS).

That would be awesome if U of San Diego joined the BSC...anyone checked out their boards to see what anyone is saying....Any new news on Idaho, SJSU, and USU? I did check out Egriz.com and yes that is some violent stuff over there.... I'm sure Fullerton is waiting by the phone to see which three schools (not you south dakota) wanna to be part of the future of the BSC conference (two eight team divisions and then hopefully cal-davis and cal-poly would be REQUIRED to join 100% into the BSC). Hopefully Faison can get out toof the Mines game and bring in some school from FCS to come here in place...if not its only one more year of crap and then its on...

Taylor said the earliest they will schedule UND is 2014. Both UND and NDSU have a common open date in 2013. Taylor said they have already scheduled 11 games for that year but that they might schedule 12 games. If they did schedule 12 games in 2013 they wouldn't play UND though. Let's face it. NDSU administration just doesn't want to play UND. Taylor continually makes up excuses why they won't play UND. UND doesn't need the game so it is just fine if NDSU doesn't want to play.

WOW - do you just selectively filter out things you don't understand? Gene gave Mr. Faison an every other year contract last year which was rejected by both Mr. Faison and Mussman (in the gf herald). That's the second time.

WOW - do you just selectively filter out things you don't understand? Gene gave Mr. Faison an every other year contract last year which was rejected by both Mr. Faison and Mussman (in the gf herald). That's the second time.

Because every other year is assinine (name one other setup like that in the country?). Now that we see the upcoming schedules for 2012-2015 we know why Faison turned it down. UND's home schedules are dynamite and we all know they can get a road game anytime they want from pretty much anyone in the country.

Although they will vehemently deny it in public, many Bison fans are secretly wishing this is true. The will not admit it, since the Sioux got there first and they are in the MVFC, which fits their needs, but they envy the Sioux's position as members of the Big Sky. They would be great travel partners for basketball, volleyball, soccer, tennis, etc, however, but in my humble no-insights opinion, its ok that the schools have gone their separate ways. If NDSU ever came to their senses and admitted out loud what they are thinking but afraid to admit, it would be great to rekindle the Sioux-Bison rivalry within the Big Sky.