SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Football Schedules 2011-2015

ShilohSioux

I sent some emails to Wayne Nelson and Pat Sweeney asking about the 2013 UM game. They both replied that Sean Johnson confirmed that the Griz will be here in 2013 as a non-conference opponent. :D

Edit: It's now on Fightingsioux.com too................

WOW! The 2013 schedule is impressive...7 home games....

Valparaiso

SDSU

Montana

Montana State

Eastern Washington

Sacramento State

Northern Colorado

The first 3 games of the season are at home. :D

Sioux football is on the rise.

That is an FBS model, it is based on a 12 game schedule. It isn't that easy in the FCS.

NDSU wants to play an FBS every year, if we play UND ever year that means one year we end up with just five home games. Now that both schools have eight conference games I think Taylor's every other year idea is looking ideal, or at least it should be tried for a few years.

Either every other year or do a Dakota rotation where 1 year you play @ NDSU the next you play host to USD then the following year you have @SDSU, then just complete the circle vs NDSU, at USD, vs SDSU. We only need to fill 3 spots and usually 1 of those is for an FBS team so stick 1 of these Dakota teams for an OOC game and you have 1 team to fill.

I know what I'm about to say won't be popular but I'm not sure I want UND to be associated with NDSU. It's time to move on to bigger and better things and it's hard to do that with your little sister holding onto your coat tails. I realize that at one time NDSU was our biggest rival but it's time to look toward a bisonless future and build rivalries with larger schools from different states. Just my opinion.

I agree 100%.

Looking at these schedules for North Dakota, looking at the ones for NDSU, neither team needs the game at this point. I don't see much benefit for either school. Start playing every year in men's & women's basketball, and every other sport.........................

On another note, I can't believe that anyone is up in arms about South Dakota not being on the schedule through 2015..........

I'm originally from Nashville, but I've lived in Grand Forks for quite a while and intend on making North Dakota my permanent residence (I'm also a UND grad). That said, I realize UND and NDSU have a lengthy rivalry history with one another, but the scheduling reluctancy of each school has cooled that down quite a bit to the point that the only thing we are competing for is funding and resources. All I'm saying is that maybe now is the time to redefine ourselves athletically and choose a nemesis that is not based on radius.

I'm originally from Nashville, but I've lived in Grand Forks for quite a while and intend on making North Dakota my permanent residence (I'm also a UND grad). That said, I realize UND and NDSU have a lengthy rivalry history with one another, but the scheduling reluctancy of each school has cooled that down quite a bit to the point that the only thing we are competing for is funding and resources. All I'm saying is that maybe now is the time to redefine ourselves athletically and choose a nemesis that is not based on radius.

I agree. I grew up with the NDSU rivalry and for 40 years thought it was the greatest thing in college FB. As time goes on and they do not play my interest wanes and especially now that UND has found a home and schedule it may be time to move on and create a new identity. I do think any possible games against USD should take priority however, much like the Mizzou vs KU rivalry or the UW vs U Minn contests. NDSU will always be a nemesis of some sort and I have been an advocate to play again, but obviously they feel they have moved on and so should UND. Too bad, but I think both have solid plans in place for future success. A playoff game down the road? Wow, wouldn't that be an event!

I agree. I grew up with the NDSU rivalry and for 40 years thought it was the greatest thing in college FB. As time goes on and they do not play my interest wanes and especially now that UND has found a home and schedule it may be time to move on and create a new identity. I do think any possible games against USD should take priority however, much like the Mizzou vs KU rivalry or the UW vs U Minn contests. NDSU will always be a nemesis of some sort and I have been an advocate to play again, but obviously they feel they have moved on and so should UND. Too bad, but I think both have solid plans in place for future success. A playoff game down the road? Wow, wouldn't that be an event!

It is too bad South Dakota was unable to join us in the Big Sky :( That would have been awesome. A playoff event pitting UND vs. NDSU would be insane.

I agree with the sentiment that we don't "need" the game nor does NDSU. As a life long resident of ND, life long Sioux fan, and life long Bison hater, I want to see this game resume. I want UND to have a football rival. Sure we can say Montana or some other Big Sky school will become a rival, but in my opinion, that isn't going to happen anytime soon. Montana's rival will always be Montana State. There is a long history of playing the bison in all sports and I'm not ready to let go of that. Sioux/Bison week in football was huge and something the whole state would look forward to and talk about. Do we need the game, no. Do I want the game, heck yea!

Edit: USD is a nice game to have, but in no way does it come close to the rivlary we had with ndsu...imo

Either every other year or do a Dakota rotation where 1 year you play @ NDSU the next you play host to USD then the following year you have @SDSU, then just complete the circle vs NDSU, at USD, vs SDSU. We only need to fill 3 spots and usually 1 of those is for an FBS team so stick 1 of these Dakota teams for an OOC game and you have 1 team to fill.

It's interesting how an attractive conference schedule makes the prospect of playing NDSU on anything but a yearly basis seems to be now, just fine.

I agree with the sentiment that we don't "need" the game nor does NDSU. As a life long resident of ND, life long Sioux fan, and life long Bison hater, I want to see this game resume. I want UND to have a football rival. Sure we can say Montana or some other Big Sky school will become a rival, but in my opinion, that isn't going to happen anytime soon. Montana's rival will always be Montana State. There is a long history of playing the bison in all sports and I'm not ready to let go of that. Sioux/Bison week in football was huge and something the whole state would look forward to and talk about. Do we need the game, no. Do I want the game, heck yea!

Edit: USD is a nice game to have, but in no way does it come close to the rivlary we had with ndsu...imo

Although Montana and Montana State have been long time rivals, I believe that U of Montana fans are looking forward to starting a rivalry with UND. Both UND and Montana are well known for having some of the most passionate and devoted fans in the NCAA, that intensity will translate in sold out games every time we play regardless of the sport. I'm not as concerned about losing NDSU as a rival as I am about Wisconsin and Minnesota, that will actually hurt.

I don't know if the UND/NDSU game will ever resume but a person could really say that after looking at the future Big Sky schedules for UND that neither school needs that game any more than the other now. If the rivalry game starts again it will be because both schools want it to happen and neither school holds any leverage over the other. That in itself is kind of refreshing.

I don't know if anyone else watched WDAZ sports last night but Sweeney said that UND/NDSU have open dates matching up starting in either 2012 or 2013 and that UND has contacted NDSU about playing but haven't heard back from NDSU yet. Anyone else catch this?

According to the piece in the Herald this morning, the 2012 schedule is done and one more game is allowed for 2013, with open dates on 9-21 and 11-23. I agree with Irish, though, from what I see for UND's future schedules, not playing NDSU isn't that big of a deal.

Ok, so it's 2013 that UND has contacted NDSU about. Again, we don't need the game nor does NDSU, but it sure would be fun. The 2013 schedule is already a great schedule, including 7 home games. Add NDSU as an out of conference road game and that schedule would be the best we have had as long as I can remember.

It is too bad South Dakota was unable to join us in the Big Sky :( That would have been awesome.

I disagree.

Here's why:

If USD was in the BSC the rivals would be set out differently and UND probably would have UNC and USD as rivals.

I'm happy with Montana State instead. ;)

Didn't I read somewhere that season ticket holders for the upcoming season will be able to purchase their season tickets for the 2012 season at the same price? All the more reason for those who fell off the wagon to get back on board next year.

Sorry but I have to agree that a game every other year is plenty for me against NDSU, I don't think Iowa/Iowa State play each other every year in football so when they do it becomes even bigger. However I say the nickle trophy gets retired and either stays at UND or goes to the State Museum with the Sioux side facing out ;) and the overall record between the two teams posted prominently nearby.

I disagree.

Here's why:

If USD was in the BSC the rivals would be set out differently and UND probably would have UNC and USD as rivals.

I'm happy with Montana State instead. ;)

I think with 14 members they would have gone to divisions. I'm not sure what the divisions would have looked like, but I believe MSU and UND would have been in the same division.

It's interesting how an attractive conference schedule makes the prospect of playing NDSU on anything but a yearly basis seems to be now, just fine.

Not looking for 7 OOC games makes NDSU look less attractive. I love Sioux/Bison games, and living in Fargo now for 12 years I would love to see the Sioux pound the Herd in the Fargodome but if they don't play I am fine with that since we have other options now with the Big Sky.

... I would love to see the Sioux pound the Herd in the Fargodome but if they don't play I am fine with that since we have other options now with the Big Sky.

And here's where I can finally begin to understand the NDSU "we don't want/need to play UND" mindset after they got into the MVFC.

• Upvote 1

I know what I'm about to say won't be popular but I'm not sure I want UND to be associated with NDSU. It's time to move on to bigger and better things and it's hard to do that with your little sister holding onto your coat tails. I realize that at one time NDSU was our biggest rival but it's time to look toward a bisonless future and build rivalries with larger schools from different states. Just my opinion.

Here are some of the biggest most heated rivalries in all of college football Oklahoma vs Texas, Michigan vs Ohio State,Florida vs Florida State, Auburn vs Alabama, Notre Dame vs USC. They all have become rivalries for different reasons, but the one thing each and every one of these rivalries have in common is history and tradition. Rivalries, as the one UND has with NDSU don't happen over night. Yes I said has with NDSU. Even though UND and NDSU hasn't played in football in seven years its still our most heated rivalry. You can see on the message boards. There is more NDSU people on Siouxsports.com than any other school we're currently playing. Granted I don't think there is as many UND fans on there boards, but if we start playing each other it won't take long for everybody to be back to normal hatred. I remember as a kid going to the games against USD, SDSU, UNC and UNO those four games had a high level of energy. The NDSU games on the other hand had a higher level of energy with massive amount of pent up anger that reached into the stands. That stuff is hard to duplicate.

Here are some of the biggest most heated rivalries in all of college football Oklahoma vs Texas, Michigan vs Ohio State,Florida vs Florida State, Auburn vs Alabama, Notre Dame vs USC. They all have become rivalries for different reasons, but the one thing each and every one of these rivalries have in common is history and tradition. Rivalries, as the one UND has with NDSU don't happen over night. Yes I said has with NDSU. Even though UND and NDSU hasn't played in football in seven years its still our most heated rivalry. You can see on the message boards. There is more NDSU people on Siouxsports.com than any other school we're currently playing. Granted I don't think there is as many UND fans on there boards, but if we start playing each other it won't take long for everybody to be back to normal hatred. I remember as a kid going to the games against USD, SDSU, UNC and UNO those four games had a high level of energy. The NDSU games on the other hand had a higher level of energy with massive amount of pent up anger that reached into the stands. That stuff is hard to duplicate.

I would have thought Minnesota was our most heated rivalry, they hate us as much as we hate them.

Agreed....also, the bolded games are non-conference games. None of those schools need the game against their rival yet the games still happen because of fan interest. Fans from both schools can say they are over this game and ready to move on, but I won't believe that until it's proven. In other words, have the game played and see how ticket sales, media marketing, hype, etc go.

Just look at the basketball game last year as an example. I believe it was the largest crowd to watch a Sioux/Bison basketball game in the history of the series.

EDIT: You could even look at the vb game played at NDSU last fall as another example. NDSU has owned UND in volleyball yet it was a sold out fieldhouse with the NDSU band playing and lots of Sioux fans in attendance...I was one of them.