SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Football Schedules 2011-2015

ShilohSioux

Taylor said the earliest they will schedule UND is 2014. Both UND and NDSU have a common open date in 2013. Taylor said they have already scheduled 11 games for that year but that they might schedule 12 games. If they did schedule 12 games in 2013 they wouldn't play UND though. Let's face it. NDSU administration just doesn't want to play UND. Taylor continually makes up excuses why they won't play UND. UND doesn't need the game so it is just fine if NDSU doesn't want to play.

Funny according to gobison.com NDSU has 10 games for 2013. Montana St, and 9 MVFC teams (I am guessing 1 of them is a non-conference game??). No FBS team in 2013?

Gene Taylor was "amazed" at the atmosphere of the UND-NDSU volleyball game last year and expressed that to Faison. Even he didn't expect it to be that big.

Maybe......but the atmosphere at the BB game was as stale as could be. UNI is the team generating most of the contempt from Bison fans now days.

Funny according to gobison.com NDSU has 10 games for 2013. Montana St, and 9 MVFC teams (I am guessing 1 of them is a non-conference game??). No FBS team in 2013?

NDSU will play an FBS team in 2013, who it is hasn't been announced yet though. NDSU only plays 8 MVFC conference games so there is also still another FCS game yet to be announced. The game with South Dakota was originally scheduled as a non-conference game, so that schedule still needs to be updated.

Taylor and Bohl are probably mulling over whether to schedule 12 games in 2013, they passed on doing so in 2008 because they thought the extra bye would have been more useful. Not sure if their thinking is still the same.

Maybe......but the atmosphere at the BB game was as stale as could be. UNI is the team generating most of the contempt from Bison fans now days.

Did that have anything to do with the results from your teams football game that day? Regardless of atmosphere, a record amount of tickets were sold. Personally I am more excited to see the two schools play in football than I am in Basketball.

The handful of Bison fans I went to the game with where already well into drinking their sorrows away from that afternoon. Thank EWU for that atmosphere. The 10,000 tickets sold shows that before the football game results there was a lot more interest. Think they would get that for UNI?

That stale atmosphere can be chalked up to Gene whoring out the game for money. He wanted the gate that only UND could bring so he put it in the Fargodome, which is awful for basketball. Plus, like other posters stated the EWU loss earlier in the day dampened spirits.

What years can we play 12 games?

2012 Schedule (Completed)

8/30 South Dakota Mines

9/8 Central Arkansas

9/15 at San Diego State

9/22 at Sacramento State*

9/29 Cal Poly*

10/6 at Eastern Washington*

10/13 Northern Arizona*

10/20 Montana*

10/27 at Montana State*

11/3 Southern Utah*

11/10 Open

11/17 at Northern Colorado*

2013 Schedule (10 of 11) -- I think they mean 11 of 11 or 11 of 12

8/29 Valparaiso

9/7 South Dakota State

9/14 Montana (non-league)

9/21 Open

9/28 Montana State*

10/5 at Idaho State*

10/12 Eastern Washington*

10/19 at Portland State*

10/26 Sacramento State*

11/2 at Northern Arizona*

11/9 Northern Colorado*

11/16 at UC Davis*

11/23 Open

2014 Schedule (9 of 11) -- of 12?

8/30 Open

9/6 Robert Morris

9/13 Open

9/20 Open

9/27 at Montana State*

10/4 Montana*

10/11 Portland State*

10/18 Open

10/25 at Southern Utah*

11/1 at Eastern Washington*

11/8 Weber State*

11/15 Northern Arizona*

11/22 at Northern Colorado*

2015 Schedule (9 of 11)

9/5 at Wyoming

9/12 Open

9/19 Open

9/26 UC Davis*

10/3 at Portland State*

10/10 Idaho State*

10/17 at Weber State*

10/24 at Montana*

10/31 Montana State*

11/7 Open

11/14 Northern Colorado*

11/21 at Cal Poly*

Home games in bold

* Big Sky Games

Cry me a f-in river Ash. What would have happened to "your" rival teams if you and Montana went to the WAC? :glare:

Told ya the Bobcats were a bunch of jackasses, not good guys like the Grizzlies. :hypocrite:

(Now watch them weasel out of the non-conference game and make me look bad)

They would have had to take both or none, the state said they wouldn't allow one to go without the other.

Actually, that's not true. The state did not say this nor is there any provision written anywhere. However, along with citing the cost of moving up, Montana expressly stated they wanted to maintain the Cat-Griz rivalry and stay in the same conference as MSU.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/article_65c1336c-edbf-11df-9a9d-001cc4c002e0.html.

Maintaining the rivalry with Montana State University is "essential to the state's cultural fabric," Engstrom said during a news conference in Main Hall on a day when campus was quiet - as classes were canceled in observance of Veterans Day. WAC rules prevent its members from playing Football Championship Subdivision schools. The WAC made an exception for UM, indicating that it could allow Montana's long-standing cross-state rivalry with MSU to continue even if the schools played in separate conferences. Even so, Engstrom said, if MSU and UM weren't competing for the same conference championship, that rivalry wouldn't "exist in the same way." "We're proud of that great rivalry," he said. "It's part of who we are."

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/article_4316d652-ee2b-11df-ba32-001cc4c002e0.html

In the end Montana's relationship with Montana State, the Big Sky's own expansion and costs kept the Griz rooted in the conference it helped form in 1963.

Actually, that's not true. The state did not say this nor is there any provision written anywhere. However, along with citing the cost of moving up, Montana expressly stated they wanted to maintain the Cat-Griz rivalry and stay in the same conference as MSU.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/article_65c1336c-edbf-11df-9a9d-001cc4c002e0.html.

Maintaining the rivalry with Montana State University is "essential to the state's cultural fabric," Engstrom said during a news conference in Main Hall on a day when campus was quiet - as classes were canceled in observance of Veterans Day. WAC rules prevent its members from playing Football Championship Subdivision schools. The WAC made an exception for UM, indicating that it could allow Montana's long-standing cross-state rivalry with MSU to continue even if the schools played in separate conferences. Even so, Engstrom said, if MSU and UM weren't competing for the same conference championship, that rivalry wouldn't "exist in the same way." "We're proud of that great rivalry," he said. "It's part of who we are."

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/article_4316d652-ee2b-11df-ba32-001cc4c002e0.html

In the end Montana's relationship with Montana State, the Big Sky's own expansion and costs kept the Griz rooted in the conference it helped form in 1963.

I should have stated this better. The rumbling here was that the Board of Regents did not want to let Montana go to another conference without Montana State. Nobody here with the exception of a few dilusional fans ever thought the Grizzlies were going to go to the WAC...they couldn't afford it, they've got it made as a leader in the Big Sky, and they weren't going to leave the Bobcats (who really couldn't afford it) behind anyway. The Board of Regents never really had to worry about it, so it became a moot point. If push would have came to shove, they would have had to take a stand and pony up big dollars to get them both up to WAC standards, or would have "encouraged" Montana to stay in the Big Sky.

Did that have anything to do with the results from your teams football game that day? Regardless of atmosphere, a record amount of tickets were sold. Personally I am more excited to see the two schools play in football than I am in Basketball.

Hard to say. One would have thought (I sure did) that playing UND in a major sport for the first time in several years would have been a big deal no matter what......but it really was a fizzle. Hell, I drove all the way from Wyoming to see it ( and visit family enroute) and it was pretty dull.

The handful of Bison fans I went to the game with where already well into drinking their sorrows away from that afternoon. Thank EWU for that atmosphere. The 10,000 tickets sold shows that before the football game results there was a lot more interest. Think they would get that for UNI?

After the trash talking from Coach Farley about NDSU stealing their DC........yup.

I disagree.

Here's why:

If USD was in the BSC the rivals would be set out differently and UND probably would have UNC and USD as rivals.

I'm happy with Montana State instead. ;)

In my opinion, if USD had joined the Big Sky. They would have split into divisions with: UND, USD, UM, MSU, EWU, PSU and ISU as one division playing every year, plus a mix of games from the other division - what could have been.

This guy sounds like a real tool..................

He's been whining since last fall when the Big Sky was mulling over expansion at all.

He acts like he was the founder of the Big Sky when in fact just 3 years ago he was coaching non-schollie ball in the Pioneer League. The only reason he has his current job is because Dale Lennon bowed out.

I'm already starting to really dislike the Bob-kittens................

He's been whining since last fall when the Big Sky was mulling over expansion at all.

He acts like he was the founder of the Big Sky when in fact just 3 years ago he was coaching non-schollie ball in the Pioneer League. The only reason he has his current job is because Dale Lennon bowed out.

It will be interesting to see what model evolves as to who will get the auto bid. And.....no matter what they come up with....someone will cry foul when they don't make the playoffs. Ash ought to be happy to have two flagship schools as rivals rather than playing Weber or EWU every year. Weber is not on the radar of anyone in Utah and barely gets a mention on the local SLC TV stations. I would suspect EWU is in the same boat. Both are second tier institutions. All the interest in Utah is focused on the U of U and BYU.

yep. Idaho too - this year. That's what I meant - what's wrong with these games? Even if UND ends up staying off the sanctions list, what's the big deal about playing Minnesota & Wisconsin when you are only going to have 1 FBS/BCS game a year anyway?

The difference is getting paid barely enough to cover expenses ($150,000) to play Idaho and Wyoming or getting a $350 to $400 thousand payday to bus to Minneasota or Wisconsin and pocketing a bunch of money. Also, much more exposure playing a Big Ten team, and even more if you can beat one of the Big Ten teams.

Until UND proves something in the conference, don't be surprised the opponents disrespect.

Respect is earned.

Until UND proves something in the conference, don't be surprised the opponents disrespect.

Respect is earned.

Understood. It's just that he's been pissing and moaning over just the thought of expansion since the subject has come up. I just find it odd that a head coach that's only been in the Big Sky for 3 years is so publicly vocal about the expansion process.

It ain't like he's Eddie Robinson.....................

I just keep looking at the 2013 schedule and how insanely awesome it is. It will be an extremely difficult one as well.

-7 home games

-4 consecutive home games to open the season

-3 extremely high interest home games with UM, MSU, & SDSU........2 more very intriguing home games with EWU & UNC

-No back-to-back road trips

-Regular season finale with a November road trip to sunny Davis, CA (I highly recommend anyone who could make this trip do so)

With a good product on the field, attendance could push the Alerus Center's capacity in 2013.

2013 is a 12 game year. I wouldn't be surprised though if UND sticks with just the 11 games. You could potentially squeeze in an FBS game on Sept 21, but I doubt the staff would be much in favor of sandwiching that in between the Griz and Cats. Nice to have a bye week in between those two games. If they did want 12, I wonder if it would be at all feasible to get a cupcake in on the last day of the season. Assuming we'll have first round bye in the playoffs that season ;) , I'd rather do that and have 8 home games than have 2 consecutive weeks off going into the post-season. :)

Hard to say. One would have thought (I sure did) that playing UND in a major sport for the first time in several years would have been a big deal no matter what......but it really was a fizzle. Hell, I drove all the way from Wyoming to see it ( and visit family enroute) and it was pretty dull.

Not to mention a lot of fans that weren't real fans just went cause they got a free ticket from BWW, Bison fb loss, and playing it in a football stadium. Pretty easy to see where there wouldn't be much atmosphere. (and the bison domination after halftime).

If the games close, there will be a good atmosphere at the Palace in the Grand City.

I just keep looking at the 2013 schedule and how insanely awesome it is. It will be an extremely difficult one as well.

-7 home games

-4 consecutive home games to open the season

-3 extremely high interest home games with UM, MSU, & SDSU........2 more very intriguing home games with EWU & UNC

-No back-to-back road trips

-Regular season finale with a November road trip to sunny Davis, CA (I highly recommend anyone who could make this trip do so)

With a good product on the field, attendance could push the Alerus Center's capacity in 2013.

2013 is a 12 game year. I wouldn't be surprised though if UND sticks with just the 11 games. You could potentially squeeze in an FBS game on Sept 21, but I doubt the staff would be much in favor of sandwiching that in between the Griz and Cats. Nice to have a bye week in between those two games. If they did want 12, I wonder if it would be at all feasible to get a cupcake in on the last day of the season. Assuming we'll have first round bye in the playoffs that season ;) , I'd rather do that and have 8 home games than have 2 consecutive weeks off going into the post-season. :)

I look at a schedule like this and it makes me think "recruiting tool", will be a lot easier to sell a kid (and his parents) on putting on the green jersey with this schedule in your back pocket.