O15 @ Cal Poly*

O22 @ Weber State*

O29 UC Davis*

N5 @ South Dakota*

N12 Dixie State*

N19 Open

• 1 month later...

Defending Big Sky champion Montana State's 2011 schedule is out:

One FBS game, one Division II newby, and one FCS team.

Sept 1 @ University of Utah Salt Lake City, UT

SEPT 10 UC DAVIS BOZEMAN, MT

SEPT 17 MINOT STATE BOZEMAN, MT

Sept 24 *@ Eastern Washington University Cheney, WA

OCT 1 *SACRAMENTO STATE UNIVERSITY BOZEMAN, MT

Oct 8 * @ Portland State University Portland, OR

OCT 15 * * NORTHERN ARIZONA UNIVERSITY BOZEMAN, MT

Oct 23 * @ Northern Colorado University Greeley, CO

OCT 29 * IDAHO STATE UNIVERSITY BOZEMAN, MT

Nov 5 * @ Weber State University Bozeman, MT

NOV 12 OPEN

NOV 19 * UNIVERSITY OF MONTANA BOZEMAN, MT

• 3 weeks later...

2011 Cal Poly Schedule Features Two Bowl Winners, FCS Champ

Sep 3rd, 2011 @ San Diego State TBA San Diego, CA

Sep 10th, 2011 @ Montana 12:05 pm Missoula, MT

Sep 17th, 2011 South Dakota State 4:05 pm San Luis Obispo, CA

Sep 24th, 2011 @ Northern Illinois TBA DeKalb, IL

Oct 1st, 2011 Bye

Oct 8th, 2011 Central Oklahoma 4:05 pm San Luis Obispo, CA

Oct 15th, 2011 Southern Utah* 6:05 pm San Luis Obispo, CA

Oct 22nd, 2011 @ North Dakota* TBA Grand Forks, ND

Oct 29th, 2011 South Dakota* 6:05 pm San Luis Obispo, CA

Nov 5th, 2011 @ UC Davis* 1:05 pm Davis, CA

Nov 12th, 2011 Eastern Washington 6:05 pm San Luis Obispo, CA

Nov 19th, 2011 @ South Alabama 2:00 pm Mobile, AL

Defending Big Sky champion Montana State's 2011 schedule is out:

One FBS game, one Division II newby, and one FCS team.

Sept 1 @ University of Utah Salt Lake City, UT

SEPT 10 UC DAVIS BOZEMAN, MT

SEPT 17 MINOT STATE BOZEMAN, MT

Sept 24 *@ Eastern Washington University Cheney, WA

OCT 1 *SACRAMENTO STATE UNIVERSITY BOZEMAN, MT

Oct 8 * @ Portland State University Portland, OR

OCT 15 * * NORTHERN ARIZONA UNIVERSITY BOZEMAN, MT

Oct 23 * @ Northern Colorado University Greeley, CO

OCT 29 * IDAHO STATE UNIVERSITY BOZEMAN, MT

Nov 5 * @ Weber State University Bozeman, MT

NOV 12 OPEN

NOV 19 * UNIVERSITY OF MONTANA BOZEMAN, MT

:lol::lol::lol: Minot State???? Seriously.

Oct 1st, 2011 Bye

Brain Faison thats how you fill a schedule.

I love how people want to throw Faison under the bus when they look at how other teams filled out their schedules. I don't think it is as easy as it looks. Dates have to match up and be available at the time each school is looking. There also could be many other factors involved like financial. I find it hard to get to mad without knowing all the inside information. I think we just have to have faith that Faison is doing the best he can with what is available. It is going to get a whole lot better after next year.

Oct 1st, 2011 Bye

According to Terry Vandrovec, the Cal Poly-SDSU contract is a 2-for-1, with Cal Poly agreeing to travel to Brookings twice. Apparently Cal Poly is pretty desperate for a home game.

According to Terry Vandrovec, the Cal Poly-SDSU contract is a 2-for-1, with Cal Poly agreeing to travel to Brookings twice. Apparently Cal Poly is pretty desperate for a home game.

That is exactly what I meant. There can be many different circumstances.

I love how people want to throw Faison under the bus when they look at how other teams filled out their schedules. I don't think it is as easy as it looks. Dates have to match up and be available at the time each school is looking. There also could be many other factors involved like financial. I find it hard to get to mad without knowing all the inside information. I think we just have to have faith that Faison is doing the best he can with what is available. It is going to get a whole lot better after next year.

I guess I am in that category. I firmly believe that there is no excuse for the 2011 Sioux Football schedule, yes I know that it will get better and blah blah blah but however was/is responsible for the final product didn't do an exceptable job in my opinion. Every stone was not left unturned...for example everyone talks about how much it costs to bring in an FCS team...approach the FB Letterwinners or alumni with "right now we will have three non DI games on our schedule because we can't afford to pay the needed gaurentee for an FCS home game".

I know its hard...but in my mind someone gave up and gave in and took the easy way out.

I guess you know quite a bit about the situation for the 3 games your questioning. Who are the 3 teams we could of had? I am not saying we don't have grounds for being mad. I am just saying unless we know what really went on behind the scenes you probably shouldn't throw someone under the bus. Maybe we couldn't afford to bring a real good team in. Maybe we didn't want to sacrifice future schedules or finances for a home game in transition. I honestly am saying you could be right but I personally need more information. There just might be some teams who just simply didn't want to come to Grand Forks too.

There are 3 parties I believe are responsible for our schedule-

1) Bunning- a team can bring in a Drake type filler game every year without much problem. Its when you need to get 3-4 filler games. These need to be long term agreements. When Bunning was here we could have started scheduling some of the 2 for 1's early in the transition to get some home games later on, he didn't even try. Everyone knows how he ran the athletic dept. so its no suprise. He didn't make things very easy for-

2) Faison- He could have maybe got a little more agressive right away as well but didn't. I really don't blame him for not doing any form of 2 for 1's this year as next year is going to be more challenging and we don't even know what our conference schedule for next year will look like. We do know that our non-conference schedule for next year is going to look pretty good so he did his job there. Its just not easy filling 6 games a year when you are having a dip in-

3) Fan support- We knew the transition was going to be tough. We have had some games in the past few years where support has been aweful. Students all the way up, that should change but you can't put all the blame on our staff. WE actually have balanced books here and don't spend money we don't have. Our AD's can't spend $100,000-$200,000 for 3 home games a year when the support just isn't there. Not being elgible for the playoffs really turned off the average fan as games where meaningless.

I guess I am in that category. I firmly believe that there is no excuse for the 2011 Sioux Football schedule, yes I know that it will get better and blah blah blah but however was/is responsible for the final product didn't do an exceptable job in my opinion. Every stone was not left unturned...for example everyone talks about how much it costs to bring in an FCS team...approach the FB Letterwinners or alumni with "right now we will have three non DI games on our schedule because we can't afford to pay the needed gaurentee for an FCS home game".

I know its hard...but in my mind someone gave up and gave in and took the easy way out.

Have you done a lot of college football scheduling to know how it should be done? It sounds like you should be offering your services. Realistically, when you made the statement "but in my mind someone gave up and gave in and took the easy way out" you had about 5% of the total information and knowledge UND officials had. I suspect the people who do UND's football scheduling for a living might possibly have a little more information than you. I know that's part of what these forums are about, but statements like the last one are just silly.

Oct 1st, 2011 Bye

Brain Faison thats how you fill a schedule.

San Diego State - playing in 2012

Montana - played in 2010

SDSU - played in 2010

Northern Illinois - played in 2010

Central Oklahoma - D2

SUU, USD & UCD - Great West opponents

Eastern Washington - future Big Sky opponent

South Alabama - New football program similar to Lamar

:huh:

• Upvote 1

For those of you who think that scheduling is so simple, after you tell Faison you may want to let the AD at defending National Champion Eastern Washington know how easy it is, too.

2011 Schedule for National Champs is Challenging

Putting together the 2011 Eastern Washington University football schedule was nearly as difficult as it will be to play it this fall for the national champions.

Saturday, Sept. 3 - at Washington - Seattle, Wash.

Saturday, Sept. 10 - at South Dakota - Vermillion, S.D.

Saturday, Sept. 17 - at *Montana - Missoula, Mont.

Saturday, Sept. 24 - *Montana State - Cheney, Wash.

Saturday, Oct. 1 - *Weber State - Cheney, Wash.

Saturday, Oct. 8 - at *Northern Arizona - Flagstaff, Ariz.

Saturday, Oct. 15 - *Northern Colorado - Cheney, Wash.

Saturday, Oct. 22 - at *Sacramento State - Sacramento, Calif.

Saturday, Oct. 29 - *Portland State - Cheney, Wash.

Saturday, Nov. 5 - Bye

Saturday, Nov. 12 - at Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo, Calif.

Saturday, Nov. 19 - at *Idaho State - Pocatello, Idaho

EWU has four (4) home games, all of which were scheduled conference games.

I guess you know quite a bit about the situation for the 3 games your questioning. Who are the 3 teams we could of had? I am not saying we don't have grounds for being mad. I am just saying unless we know what really went on behind the scenes you probably shouldn't throw someone under the bus. Maybe we couldn't afford to bring a real good team in. Maybe we didn't want to sacrifice future schedules or finances for a home game in transition. I honestly am saying you could be right but I personally need more information. There just might be some teams who just simply didn't want to come to Grand Forks too.

There are 125 other FCS teams and I bet there is a way to get 3 to come up here. If $$$ is a problem then announce it. Just say due to financial problems we have to schedule 3 non-D1 teams, that way people will understand a lot more, until then it looks like Faison was just lazy in scheduling. 2012 should be a breeze in scheduling 8 conference games 1 FBS game, Central Arkansas, 1 FCS team....you have how many BSC teams to choose from, plus South Dakota or NDSU or whoever. Hell I could schedule that. I just think if $$$$ is a problem while scheduling....good luck getting $$$ from a damn near empty AC.

UND's win at Northern Iowa in 2006 was the best and worst thing to happen to the football program. It proved we could compete at the FCS level with only 36 scholarships against a ranked team, but it also hurt in the fact that nobody was jumping at the opportunity to play us, especially at our place. That hurt scheduling opportunities for sure because of the risk teams took in playing down and scheduling UND as a transition team. Nothing to gain and everything to lose for them. Maybe the 3-8 season we had last year will lend itself to less respect in scheduling?

Scheduling typically was done in the past by asst. AD's who are no longer in the athletic problem. Obviously the AD's have to sign off on the game and approve it, but I'm just not sure scheduling was being done by the right people in the past. I know 2011 is rough, but hopefully it changes in the future moving forward. I believe Sean Johnson is now in charge of scheduling.

Have you done a lot of college football scheduling to know how it should be done? It sounds like you should be offering your services. Realistically, when you made the statement "but in my mind someone gave up and gave in and took the easy way out" you had about 5% of the total information and knowledge UND officials had. I suspect the people who do UND's football scheduling for a living might possibly have a little more information than you. I know that's part of what these forums are about, but statements like the last one are just silly.

Well let's put the facts out there-

1) Fasion turned down an every other year series verus NDSU....that still blows my mind. Why would that not be helpful for the fb program, attendence and fan interest?

2) UND has released their 2011 football schedule very early...there are still FCS team looking for games, both home and away (Yes these are advertised)...so to me that tells me that it's taking the easy way out. It's either about the money (we don't want to be for a one game) or its about not being able to secure a contract (home and away; 2 for 1) that fits.

3) I think the majority of fans, myself included, would rather see an away game verus another FCS team than an "extra home game" versus a recent NAIA team. The players deserve to see where they stack up in the FCS, the fans want to see that and I believe it would be much more valuable for fan interest than 3 non DI one teams. I mean we play 6 out of a possilbe 11 games against teams in our own classification, and one of those is a stretch (Drake) to consider a FCS team.

Here is an honest question, how will it be apparent if progress is made with our FB team next season?

UND's win at Northern Iowa in 2006 was the best and worst thing to happen to the football program. It proved we could compete at the FCS level with only 36 scholarships against a ranked team, but it also hurt in the fact that nobody was jumping at the opportunity to play us, especially at our place. That hurt scheduling opportunities for sure because of the risk teams took in playing down and scheduling UND as a transition team. Nothing to gain and everything to lose for them. Maybe the 3-8 season we had last year will lend itself to less respect in scheduling?

Scheduling typically was done in the past by asst. AD's who are no longer in the athletic problem. Obviously the AD's have to sign off on the game and approve it, but I'm just not sure scheduling was being done by the right people in the past. I know 2011 is rough, but hopefully it changes in the future moving forward. I believe Sean Johnson is now in charge of scheduling.

I think you're spot on - teams are just too scared to play you at home.......

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I will go on the record early by saying if WYO is as horseshit as last year, Weber could/should beat them. As I see it there is no reason for Wyoming fans to be optomistic about the 2011 season.

What happened in Laramie? I thought Christiansen was a pretty good coach who was going to turn things around there? Men's bb appears to be in the toliet there too. That too bad....I've always liked the Cowboys and admired their passionate, all-state following.

UC Davis 2011 Football Schedule

09/01/11 at Arizona State

09/10/11 at Montana State

09/17/11 vs. San Diego

09/24/11 at Hawai'i

10/08/11 vs. Humboldt State

10/15/11 vs. Univ. of Texas, San Antonio (Homecoming)

10/22/11 at South Dakota

10/29/11 at Southern Utah

11/05/11 vs. Cal Poly (Parents Weekend)

11/12/11 vs. North Dakota

11/19/11 at Sacramento State (58th annual Causeway Classic)

If they do not beat Minot State by 40 there ought to be an NCAA investigation. Ridiculous!

“The 2011 schedule isn't necessarily indicative of what the future holds,” said MSU Athletic Director Rick Hedberg. “Being an independent is difficult no matter where you are located, but for us in North Dakota, it's really tough. Joining the NSIC in 2012-13 will allow us more consistency in scheduling and guarantee us five or more home dates in football.” The Beavers are tentatively scheduled to begin NSIC play in football in the 2012 season.

Minot State Football

2011 Schedule

Date Team H/A Time

Aug. 25 Bemidji State A 7 p.m.

Sept. 3 Concordia-St. Paul H 1 p.m.

Sept. 10 Texas A&M-Kingsville A 7 p.m.

Sept. 17 Montana State-Bozeman A TBA

Sept. 24 University of Sioux Falls H 1:30 p.m.

Oct. 1 Black Hills State H 5 p.m.

Oct. 8 University of Central Oklahoma A TBA

Oct. 15 South Dakota Mines & Tech. A 1 p.m. (MT)

Oct. 29 University of Sioux Falls A 1:30 p.m.

Nov. 5 Black Hills State A 1:30 p.m. (MT)

Nov. 19 University of Texas-San Antonio A TBA

And your point is...........? Montana State Bozeman is Montana State that just tied for the Big Sky and was defeated by NDSU in the playoffs. If they do not beat Minot State by a large margin it would be a big surprise. Texas at Austin is the University of Texas, not San Antonio. So again, what is your point?

No "point," just showing Minot State is upgrading their schedule all around so MSU-Bozeman type games will be part of their future. If UND plays a D-II team in the future, as do most BSC teams, it's possible Minot will be on our schedule too (although I hope we try to pack our non-leaguers with NDSU, USD, etc....). University of Texas San Antonio begins play in 2011 under former Miami coach Larry Coker. They beome a member of the WAC in 2012. All home games are in the Alamodome.

Roadrunner football schedules

Sept. 3 -- Northeastern (Okla.) State, Alamodome

Sept. 10 -- McMurry, Alamodome

Sept. 17 -- at Southern Utah, Cedar City, Utah

Sept. 24 -- Bacone College, Alamodome

Oct. 1 -- at Sam Houston State, Huntsville, Texas

Oct. 8 -- South Alabama, Alamodome

Oct. 15 -- at UC Davis, Davis, Calif.

Oct. 22 -- at Northwestern State, Natchitoches, La.

Oct. 29 -- Georgia State, Alamodome

Nov. 12 -- at McNeese State, Lake Charles, La.

Nov. 19 -- Minot State, Alamodome

Sept. 1 -- at South Alabama, Mobile, Ala.

Sept. 8 -- Sam Houston State, Alamodome

Sept. 15 -- Southern Utah, Alamodome

Sept. 29 -- at Georgia State, Atlanta, Ga.

Oct. 27 -- UC Davis, Alamodome

Nov. 10 -- McNeese State, Alamodome

Full WAC schedule

Sept. 16 -- Arizona State, Alamodome

Sept. 9 -- at Baylor, Waco, Texas

Sept. 1 -- at Arizona State, Tempe, Ariz.

Sept. 8 ? Baylor, Alamodome

Sept. 7 -- at Baylor, Waco, Texas