SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Mussman

darell1976

Why does Mussman keep specifically referring to juco transfers? I would think the chances of finding a competent FBS transfer is at least as good as finding a juco who not only can play, but who doesn't have any NCAA clearinghouse issues.

He may already be talking with a JUCO player. While an FBS transfer is possible, talking about even an unnamed one could be considered tampering.

He may already be talking with a JUCO player. While an FBS transfer is possible, talking about even an unnamed one could be considered tampering.

I know he can't specifically talk about a potential FBS transfer, but I just think he could say that UND will be looking at bringing in a transfer. Period. No need to specify juco. Personally, I don't think the odds of finding a juco quarterback who can actually play, who isn't wanted by FBS programs, and who doesn't have eligibility issues, are very good.

Fire Mussman ASAP! I'm tired of his moral victories. After driving nearly 1000 miles and seeing us down 2 scores with 4 minutes to play in enemy territory, and him deciding to punt I'm done supporting this clown. its time to move on with someone new for our future in the Big Sky. If I hear how hard we battled again I'm gonna puke.

I know he can't specifically talk about a potential FBS transfer, but I just think he could say that UND will be looking at bringing in a transfer. Period. No need to specify juco. Personally, I don't think the odds of finding a juco quarterback who can actually play, who isn't wanted by FBS programs, and who doesn't have eligibility issues, are very good.

The QB situation for the next 2 seasons definitely worries me. A Juco or even FBS transfer is always a crapshoot. Some are successful, some are not. Many times they don't work out. Are we better off taking our lumps w/ Demler or Comes starting next year to get one of them ready for Big Sky play in 2012? Or is Mussman coaching to keep his job next year & thus going the transfer route? If the staff feels one of Demler or Comes is the real deal, then I'm fine with one of them getting experience next year rather than a 2 year band-aid. That might be the best option for the program in the long run, but I guess it's not my job at stake.

From Wayne's Blog- UND coach Chris Mussman on his team’s play in the second half: "We could have come out and laid an egg in the second half and get beat by 50. But our kids battled."

So relieved to read that when presented with the 50-0 option, and the battling option, they chose the latter once again. ;)

The Sioux did lay an egg. A goose egg.

I don't want to come out of transition with this same mentality. A change is needed.

I will support UND regardless and appreciate the effort put forth by the players.

The QB situation for the next 2 seasons definitely worries me. A Juco or even FBS transfer is always a crapshoot. Some are successful, some are not. Many times they don't work out. Are we better off taking our lumps w/ Demler or Comes starting next year to get one of them ready for Big Sky play in 2012? Or is Mussman coaching to keep his job next year & thus going the transfer route? If the staff feels one of Demler or Comes is the real deal, then I'm fine with one of them getting experience next year rather than a 2 year band-aid. That might be the best option for the program in the long run, but I guess it's not my job at stake.

I agree with this. I'd rather have a redshirt freshman with potential take his lumps in 2011 and learn the job for 2012 rather than a juco transfer band aid. The question is whether Mussman is choosing the juco transfer route because he is trying to save his job, or is it because Demler and Comes aren't showing any potential?

The Sioux did lay an egg. A goose egg.

I don't want to come out of transition with this same mentality. A change is needed.

I will support UND regardless and appreciate the effort put forth by the players.

I'm with you on all accounts, but at least we did get the "we went toe to toe with them" like after the Idaho game.

We are going into one of the premire FCS FB conferences in the nation with a coach that gives the moral victory quotes whenever he isn't throwing players or officials under the bus. :(

I'm with you on all accounts, but at least we did get the "we went toe to toe with them" like after the Idaho game.

We are going into one of the premire FCS FB conferences in the nation with a coach that gives the moral victory quotes whenever he isn't throwing players or officials under the bus. :(

Totally agree.....sorry but we need a change in football and mens' B-ball.

I thought Faison was the man for the job, but if he can't see this then I have to question him as well.

Totally agree.....sorry but we need a change in football and mens' B-ball.

I thought Faison was the man for the job, but if he can't see this then I have to question him as well.

I remember when the AC bolted from the NCC and BB coach Rich Glass wished his SU counterparts "good luck"in the jump to D1 ( thus inviting the endless wrath of Bison zealots for this "insult"). He noted that a lot of coaches don't survive that kind of transition.

The football record sucked this year and the end-of-year performance was abysmal -- largely because we lost our QB. But the last two recruiting classes -- particularly last year' -- are encouraging. Basketball has been down for years, but the performance so far this year already seems to exceed the predictions on this forum, and we've got some freshmen who appear to know how to play the game. Both Mussman and Jones finally have something to offer recruits -- a strong conference and a chance for playoffs. After struggling through the lean years, don't they deserve at least a little time to show what they can do with a level playing field?

I remember when the AC bolted from the NCC and BB coach Rich Glass wished his SU counterparts "good luck"in the jump to D1 ( thus inviting the endless wrath of Bison zealots for this "insult"). He noted that a lot of coaches don't survive that kind of transition.

The football record sucked this year and the end-of-year performance was abysmal -- largely because we lost our QB. But the last two recruiting classes -- particularly last year' -- are encouraging. Basketball has been down for years, but the performance so far this year already seems to exceed the predictions on this forum, and we've got some freshmen who appear to know how to play the game. Both Mussman and Jones finally have something to offer recruits -- a strong conference and a chance for playoffs. After struggling through the lean years, don't they deserve at least a little time to show what they can do with a level playing field?

I'm rather inclined to agree with the above assessment. Nobody said the transition was going to be easy. Football team on defense really showed some bright spots. Loss of Landry at QB really hurt. Let's not be hasty.

There was a lame-duck president and lame-duck AD at the time that keys were handed to Mussman as I recall. His hire was a matter of expediency. I was never sure he earned the promotion...I guess out of the Lennon's staff he was the obvious choice. If there would have been time to look outside for candidates, I'm not so sure it would have turned out the same way. Just my $0.02.

Part of the problem for Muss is the history he is working against. When the program has wins vs SUU, Davis, and UNI; they used to beat the Jacks on a regular basis; then you INCREASE the number of scholarship athletes available to him, you do have expectations that you can beat those type of teams. There were more exciting FBS wins for this program when it was D2. A signature win that everyone can get excited about is desperately needed.

When Mussman was asked what his goals were against South Dakota State was "hanging around in the fourth quarter with an opportunity to win." Talk about keeping those standards high. :sad:

He's saying they wanna not be totally blown out and then maybe in the fourth quarter they can get lucky and win.

At halftime of the Montana game and at the end of the South Dakota State game Mussman keeps stating "We need(ed) to establish the run game"......really? You have Zero passing game and the opponents know it and your trying to get the running game going?

• Upvote 1

When Mussman was asked what his goals were against South Dakota State was "hanging around in the fourth quarter with an opportunity to win." Talk about keeping those standards high. :sad:

He's saying they wanna not be totally blown out and then maybe in the fourth quarter they can get lucky and win.

At halftime of the Montana game and at the end of the South Dakota State game Mussman keeps stating "We need(ed) to establish the run game"......really? You have Zero passing game and the opponents know it and your trying to get the running game going?

I'm not an apologist for Mussman as I'm still on the fence, but given the fact that we have had zero passing game leads me to believe that establishing the run would be a priority. If North Dakota's offense has had any "strength" (I use the term loosely) it would have to be in the run game. That was both before and after Landry's injury.

As far as when he was asked about his goals for South Dakota State, his first was to win the game. Watch the tape. They wanted an opportunity to win. Doesn't every team want that?

I've felt for the past several seasons that if there is coaching problem at North Dakota, that I think it is moreso with the assistants that it is with the HC. I've stated many times that I have not been a fan of the Co-Defensive Coordinator situation. There was a flop in play-calling roles between Mannasau and Kelling this season, but the pass defense continues to be a glaring problem. Run defense was still suspect at times as well, but there was a far better pass rush from the Sioux on opposing quarterbacks this season than in Mussman's first two seasons. Lennon started the Co-Defensive Coordinator experiment, but I think Mussman needs to end it.

Offensively, Mussman needs to take over the play calling.

I'm not ready for Mussman to be dismissed because the deck has certainly been stacked against him during his HC tenure here, but I think he needs to man up and make some tough decisions regarding his staff. The biggest concern to me about Mussman leading North Dakota football is not that he probably doesn't handle the media all that well following an ass-kicking, or that he tries to find the good things in 45-point drubbing of a season opener...................but what has me the most worried is that he apparently thought that Jake Landry would be quarterbacking the team in 2011, because there was obviously no plan for replacing him......................

I've felt for the past several seasons that if there is coaching problem at North Dakota, that I think it is moreso with the assistants that it is with the HC. I've stated many times that I have not been a fan of the Co-Defensive Coordinator situation. There was a flop in play-calling roles between Mannasau and Kelling this season, but the pass defense continues to be a glaring problem. Run defense was still suspect at times as well, but there was a far better pass rush from the Sioux on opposing quarterbacks this season than in Mussman's first two seasons. Lennon started the Co-Defensive Coordinator experiment, but I think Mussman needs to end it.

Offensively, Mussman needs to take over the play calling.

I'm not ready for Mussman to be dismissed because the deck has certainly been stacked against him during his HC tenure here, but I think he needs to man up and make some tough decisions regarding his staff. The biggest concern to me about Mussman leading North Dakota football is not that he probably doesn't handle the media all that well following an ass-kicking, or that he tries to find the good things in 45-point drubbing of a season opener...................but what has me the most worried is that he apparently thought that Jake Landry would be quarterbacking the team in 2011, because there was obviously no plan for replacing him......................

Do you think the deck has been stacked against Muss in ways that were not for Bohl or Stieg? What advantages did they have that Muss does not and how did that affect on field?

Do you think the deck has been stacked against Muss in ways that were not for Bohl or Stieg? What advantages did they have that Muss does not and how did that affect on field?

They didn't have advantages per say, but I think Mussman was hurt by the fact that his first head coaching job was for a first year transitional DI team. Stiegelmeier has been at SDSU forever, and Bohl took over at NDSU a year before the first transition year. Mussman took over the program when the athletic department was in a state of flux with no A.D. and the football program's staff and incoming freshman class was largely gutted by the outgoing head coach.

NDSU and SDSU had a clear advantage in the transition because they were first. Yes, they were playoff ineligible, but at least they had scholarship advantages over UND and USD during that time and they could sell their programs as being the only DI programs in the region. By the time UND and USD finally went DI, the scholarships were equal and NDSU and SDSU were in established conferences and were playoff eligible.

In short, yes.

NDSU and SDSU had the advantage of being first into the transition. They didn't have a real conference or playoffs, either. But they could tout their programs as "Division 1" and were recruiting regionally almost exclusively against program that remained D II or worse, like UND, were uncertain about their future direction. I can't count the number of post recruiting interviews I read with players saying they liked both UND and NDSU but made a choice based on the Division 1 move by the ag schools. More than 1 player who had some UND roots or leanings ended up in green and yellow because of this. UND and USD, during transition, have recruited against established FSC programs right next door.

No doubt NDSU's transition went phenomenally well in most sports. But before you give Bohl too much credit, remember that most of his early success was accomplished with "D2" recruits who had NO DIVISION 1 OFFERS and were signed by the previous coaching staff, one of whose members now is an NFL defensive coordinator. SDSU? Haven't reviewed their record but I don't recall great success. I DO remember a home loss to a division III team.

Let's cut to the chase...having seen Mussman as a head coach now for a couple years, what has anyone seen from a leadership standpoint, X's and O's coaching standpoint, communication standpoint, or overall gut feeling standpoint that this is OUR guy to lead us into the Big Sky??

UND's transitional situation is what it is, but we need a leader and coach that can help the program overcome whatever disadvantages some of you perceive and get this FB program going in the right direction.

SDSU? Haven't reviewed their record but I don't recall great success. I DO remember a home loss to a division III team.

They made the playoffs last year and have been regularly ranked the last several seasons, including in this seasons preseason polls. They haven't had any signature wins like NDSU did, but overall have played much tougher FCS competition throughout their transition, and had success doing it. Their transition on the football field was really quite remarkable considering their mediocre history in DII.

Everybody needs to keep in mind that we are in the middle of transition. The main goal is to come out of transition a decent team. Time will tell. We do not want to come out of transition as bad as NDSU was when they completed their transition. NDSU was terrible when they became playoff elgible.