SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Mussman

darell1976

I would ask this question? Do you see much difference in this team if Dale L was still coach of this team. I don't, Lennon left because he saw the writing on the wall and that it was going to take about 4/5 years to build the program at the FCS level. Plan and simple it will take time to build the program at the FCS level. You have two basis paths - JUCO and FBS transfers or recruit and build. It is hard to go with option one when you do not have playoffs as an option. So, you have to go with recruit and build and that is a slow process that takes 2 to 3 years to see the any results. Plus, recruiting to this point has been at a disadvantage because of no playoffs. Again, I am not saying that I am happy with the state of the program. But, it going to take time to build the program.

Agreed. We can't recruit top-flite talent when we have no conference, no hope for playoffs, etc.

Starting this spring, we need to be bringing much better talent than we currently have. I am willing to give Mussman and crew that chance. He has earned it.

I would ask this question? Do you see much difference in this team if Dale L was still coach of this team.

Oh my Gosh. That answer is easily yes. It's not just "players, recruiting, transition."

Plain and simple a Dale Lennon team plays to win. Remember that amazing fake punt at the Alerus during the championship run.

There is no way a Dale Lennon teams punts the ball when you have nothing to lose at Montana down by 2 scores, inside their territory and there is only 4:30 left to play!!!

One word comes to mind: INEXCUSABLE!!! and i could go on about numberous other incredible stupid things about this team.

and Lennon left because he got a huge pay raise. Not cause he did not want to lead his alma mater through a transition to a division he urged UND to get to.

• Upvote 1

He saw this team was going to be crappy and let us know about it?

WOW that's impressive!

Does he think next years also going to be a "up and down season" too?

I think it will be up and down next year also... unless one of the QBs in the system comes out firing... spring ball will be interesting.

Oh my Gosh. That answer is easily yes. It's not just "players, recruiting, transition."

Plain and simple a Dale Lennon team plays to win. Remember that amazing fake punt at the Alerus during the championship run.

There is no way a Dale Lennon teams punts the ball when you have nothing to lose at Montana down by 2 scores, inside their territory and there is only 4:30 left to play!!!

One word comes to mind: INEXCUSABLE!!! and i could go on about numberous other incredible stupid things about this team.

and Lennon left because he got a huge pay raise. Not cause he did not want to lead his alma mater through a transition to a division he urged UND to get to.

Seems like a lot of people are fired up about the punt... I am not sure that I agree with the call. I am sure he was going with the fact that special teams and defense had given the team more opportunties to score by making plays - more than the offense had to that point in the game. Let's face it the best QB on this team was playing WR two weeks ago - that does not leave you with many options..

Coming into the season, did the coaches know, or at least strongly suspect that if Landry went down, the passing game would disappear? I'm just trying to understand what the contingency plan was, because clearly neither Goska nor Hendrickson appears capable of effectively running UND's usual offense. I know this is armchair quarterbacking, but it seems to me that either a transfer quarterback should have been brought in before the season to be the backup, and possibly the starter next year, or else some sort of option offense should have been put in for Goska and Hendrickson to compensate for the fact that they don't pass very well.

I would ask this question? Do you see much difference in this team if Dale L was still coach of this team. I don't, Lennon left because he saw the writing on the wall and that it was going to take about 4/5 years to build the program at the FCS level. Plan and simple it will take time to build the program at the FCS level. You have two basis paths - JUCO and FBS transfers or recruit and build. It is hard to go with option one when you do not have playoffs as an option. So, you have to go with recruit and build and that is a slow process that takes 2 to 3 years to see the any results. Plus, recruiting to this point has been at a disadvantage because of no playoffs. Again, I am not saying that I am happy with the state of the program. But, it is going to take time to build the program.

Dale is 3-6 this year at S. Ill. and he was pre-season top 3 in the country. While he was really good, he wasn't God. This year he's proven to be human too.

• Upvote 1

Wasn't Solum the top running back going into fall camp the year Murray had to sit out? Don't know why you couldn't makeshift formations for one game, especially since you only needed a series from that person every once in a while. How many rushing attempts did Miller have in that game and a half?

Possible, but then you are short at FB and he does not have the tailback abilities. Only 3 healthy players for two positions. Might have worked though.

If they are going to get a new coach into the program they need to go with the sooner than later attitude. One more year of transition until they are eligible for postseason play. Let a new guy come in, put his system in place, and have all guns firing for their first year of postseason eligibility. If Mussman is around next year, you may as well keep him around for a couple years longer to see if his system really will ever get working.

I'm still waiting for possible new coaches.....Maybe Nielson from Duluth? Schweigert? COME BACK DALE!!!! :lol:

I think Nielson is also the AD if he suceeded Schweigert and stayed as coach/AD combo. If so the pay may not be enough. I think he was head coach at Eau Claire too and did very well.

you thing that irks me about the "attitude" of this team.

All their shirts are untucked. it makes us look like a bunch of scrubs and leads me to believe this team is undisciplined.

Would this have gone by when lennon was here? I can tell you for a fact since I played for lennon that it WOULD NOT have. We were required to have our shirts tucked in.

it's not always about looking "cool"

Dale is 3-6 this year at S. Ill. and he was pre-season top 3 in the country. While he was really good, he wasn't God. This year he's proven to be human too.

Actually now 4-6, with a good chance to finish at 5-6. Sounds like they've had some injury problems, and this is kind of their version of UND's 2002 season. I would expect them to bounce back in a big way next year. There are too many quality coaches on that staff for them to stay down.

After watching the game I am surprised this thread fired up like it did. UND could have easily beat Montana with even a little passing game, but when your QB's are terribly inaccurate and the WR's drop the rare pass that is thrown well your a pretty much going to suck. The boys were in position to be successful many times offensively and they failed. That is really all a coach can do, he doesn't throw, catch, block, or tackle. The players have to do that and the offense isn't very good at QB or WR right now. I really hope they find a quality transfer QB next season or give the ball to one of the freshman and let them learn on the fly because it would be a waste to start either Goska or Hendrickson next season. This is why I really miss a QB like Freund, he could scramble and was an accurate passer even though he didn't have a cannon arm. After watching Goska and Hendrickson over the last few games I think the coaching staff might need some help with evaluating QB talent because I would think being able to throw with consistency and accuracy should be a top priority.

Agreed. We can't recruit top-flite talent when we have no conference, no hope for playoffs, etc.

Starting this spring, we need to be bringing much better talent than we currently have. I am willing to give Mussman and crew that chance. He has earned it.

While I don't think Mussman should be fired, I am curious as to why you think "he has earned it". I think if he had earned it, the question as to whether or not he should continue as the head coach would be much easier to answer.

I think he should keep his job because I think the odds of getting a good quality coach here at this low point in the transition are small. Mussman is part and parcel of digging the hole the program is now in. Let him keep the shovel until they are playoff eligible. At that point, either he turns it around or the job is now more attractive to someone who can. I do not however, agree that Mussman has earned that opportunity. The lack of quality wins is evidence of that.

W/L record of Sioux football coaches through first three seasons:

Chris Mussman: 15-16 (one game left in season 3)

Dale Lennon: 31-6

Roger Thomas: 15-17

Pat Behrns: 19-11

Gene Murphy: 15-7 (2 seasons)

Jerry Olson: 12-13-1

Marv Helling: 10-12-2

Frank Zazula: 10-12-2

Red Jarrett: 12-10

C.A. West: 24-3-1

Paul Davis: 10-11-2

Sure am glad we didn't cut loose Roger Thomas or Jerry Olson after just three seasons..............................

Sure am glad we didn't cut loose Roger Thomas or Jerry Olson after just three seasons..............................

Bill Belichick was 20-28 in his first 3 years as a head coach in the NFL. He's had a pretty good career since then. Most head coaches nees a few years to learn the job if they don't have previous head coaching experience..

you thing that irks me about the "attitude" of this team.

All their shirts are untucked. it makes us look like a bunch of scrubs and leads me to believe this team is undisciplined.

Would this have gone by when lennon was here? I can tell you for a fact since I played for lennon that it WOULD NOT have. We were required to have our shirts tucked in.

it's not always about looking "cool"

I've noticed things like that as well. The men's basketball team constantly had their jersey's untucked, which looked terrible when Glas was head coach...that's one thing Jones has fixed. But back to the football team, I remember when Lennon and Co. had their congratulations ceremony at the Alerus after winning the title in '01. One of the things he said he told his players every year is that no matter what happens...big play, big win...they are to never hold up their index fingers, symbolizing that they are number 1. The only time they were allowed to do it was after they brought home the NC. In the paper today, there is a picture of Boyle after his interception, and not only is he doing it, but so is the guy in the background. Hair is another thing...Lennon had his guys clean shaven, clean hair cuts (or so I remember) at least during the regular season. It may not be a big deal, but it has something to do with looking professional. And what's with the guys carrying a baseball bat and a pirate flag into the Alerus from the team bus? Maybe these aren't issues to anyone else, but I for one think it's ridiculous. Worry about doing your job on the field, and as stated above, it's not always about looking cool. Lennon just seemed to have some sort of control of his players, which doesn't seem to be the case this year. I don't remember there being a time when personal fouls had been such a problem under Dale. That kind of attitude has to come from somewhere. Just my thoughts.

Seems like a lot of people are fired up about the punt... I am not sure that I agree with the call. I am sure he was going with the fact that special teams and defense had given the team more opportunties to score by making plays - more than the offense had to that point in the game. Let's face it the best QB on this team was playing WR two weeks ago - that does not leave you with many options..

If that is in fact where we are at in our program, that we would rather not have our offense on the field, and hoping and praying for a turnover, then we are not where we should be at in our transition. It seems to me if the defense was playing that well, then you go for it, simply because you are on their side of the field already.

If that is in fact where we are at in our program, that we would rather not have our offense on the field, and hoping and praying for a turnover, then we are not where we should be at in our transition. It seems to me if the defense was playing that well, then you go for it, simply because you are on their side of the field already.

Fully agree!

This is not an isolated incident. If you look back at game after game during his tenure, Mussman continually plays it "safe". You wonder why there is a lack of interest in this team and program? If you continually play to only lose by 7 and claim a moral victory, you lose your fan base. How many time has his teams been in reach of a victory with nothing to lose other than the game itself, only to see him punt the ball away on 4th and 1.

The QB issue aside, his coaching performance vs. the Griz was pathetic. I get the QB situation, but if you are still in the game after Marcus goes 3 for 16 for 18 yards, you have to go back to Goska or stick with Marcus and play to win the game.

Mussman, IMO, has been a disaster. Undisciplined play with continuous poor coaching decisions and execution is a recipe for one lousy season.

I expected the punt at Montana. Why?

Here are the first two drives from the UC-Davis game:

UCD      1st V18  15:00  Kickoff       H00  11:57 *TOUCHDOWN      7-82   3:03
UND 1st V47 11:51 Kickoff V38 10:24 Punt 3-9 1:27[/code]

Davis takes the opening kick on an 82 yard TD drive.

On the Davis kickoff UND gets a long return to the Davis 47, and [i]punts [/i]on 4th and 1 from the Davis 38.

The team was 3-5 and winless in the GWFC at the time.

What do you have to lose? Go for it.

I used to complain about Lennon's hyper-conservative offensive approach.

Now I'm wondering, ... was it really Dale?

This is not an isolated incident. If you look back at game after game during his tenure, Mussman continually plays it "safe". You wonder why there is a lack of interest in this team and program? If you continually play to only lose by 7 and claim a moral victory, you lose your fan base. How many time has his teams been in reach of a victory with nothing to lose other than the game itself, only to see him punt the ball away on 4th and 1.

The QB issue aside, his coaching performance vs. the Griz was pathetic. I get the QB situation, but if you are still in the game after Marcus goes 3 for 16 for 18 yards, you have to go back to Goska or stick with Marcus and play to win the game.

Mussman, IMO, has been a disaster. Undisciplined play with continuous poor coaching decisions and execution is a recipe for one lousy season.

I don't know about claiming moral victories, but he will tell you about a hundred times in the interview or coaches show "our guys battled".

Are we supposed to be happy we don't have to worry about quitting during a game?

UND      1st V47  11:51  Kickoff       V38  10:24  Punt           3-9    1:27

On the Davis kickoff UND gets a long return to the Davis 47, and punts on 4th and 1 from the Davis 38.

Not only did the Sioux punt at the UC-Davis 38, it was punted into the endzone. Davis got the ball on the 20 and promptly completed a pass to the 35. Wow 3 yard difference.

I know, I know, some are screaming hindsight right now. I questioned the call at the time. Like the neutral spectator in front of me at the Davis game said, "what's wrong with your coach"??

Mussman is a nice guy, probably a pretty solid OC, but is not head coach material. A change is needed. A new face with a Division I perspective.

The point about the untucked jerseys didn't escape me either. I'm probably one of the "old geezers" mentioned in the "My Experience in Madison" hockey thread, but untucked doesn't sit right with me.

UND      1st V47  11:51  Kickoff       V38  10:24  Punt           3-9    1:27

On the Davis kickoff UND gets a long return to the Davis 47, and punts on 4th and 1 from the Davis 38.

My point exactly...at some point you have to give your team and your fans a chance!

I can't comment on the Jerry Olson era, as that was before my time. However, with regard to RT, he struggled in his first season with a fairly empty cupboard thanks to Behrns, but came back with 6-4 and 7-4 in seasons two and three. I think almost everybody was happy with the progress being made. Granted, the situations aren't identical, but both coaches stepped into difficult situations. I just feel RT did a much better job through three seasons.