SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Mussman

darell1976

I think Muss deserves at least another year and if they are as inconsistent and mistake prone next season he has to go, but I really don't think that will be the case. I do think some position coaching changes are needed for next season but I really doubt that is going to happen (just a guess though).

I agree with this^^^^

I started really following UND sports in 1993 when I was a freshman on campus. It's occurred to me that I don't think we've had a coach of the 4 major sports (Hockey, FB, MBB & WBB) get fired in that time period. I guess Women's Hockey could be added to the major sports list now, but that came around after I graduated so I haven't really followed it too much. Anyways, Hockey has had Gino, Blais & Hak (Maybe Gino was fired, I can't remember if he was or he just bowed out gracefully, either way it was his time to go). WBB Roebuck, MBB Glas & Jones, Football Thomas, Lennon & Muss. Granted all the programs had a tremendous amount of success over most of those years, so a firing wouldn't have been deserved, but it just seems like UND hasn't been a school that was quick to terminate coaches. Gino, Roebuck & Glas had been around forever, even Thomas started in the mid 80's. So for the last 25 to 30-some years UND has only had 9 coaches in it's 4 major sports. That's a pretty good run. Maybe it's a "North Dakota nice" thing or the D2 mentality for many of those years. Maybe those attitudes will change with new leadership at AD & a D1 mentality. If Brian Jones is still employed at the University of North Dakota there is no reason that Mussman shouldn't be.

With that said, I do believe Mussman deserves at least one more year. He came into an unenviable situation, being Lennon left late, bad conference & scheduling situation & the team was just starting the D1 transition.

Now, Mussman finally has better pieces in place... a solid conference affiliation, playoff eligible in 2012, and most importantly, a few years worth of D1 recruits in his program. Let's see what he can do with it.

Is Mussman the right coach to lead UND football into the Big Sky & playoff-eligibility? That remains to be seen. But he is definitely deserving of the opportunity to prove that he is.

One concern I have is that Mussman said a few weeks back that he was going to see how things played out over the last part of the season before he decides whether he needs to go the Junior College route for a quarterback. Does this mean that he would do this for depth reasons, or is he just not that confident in what he sees in the redshirts and beyond? I guess I assumed from the glowing comments about Demler that he might be the quarterback we needed. If none of the quarterbacks we have appear to be standing out with what appears to be average quarterbacks left in the stable, have we just not recruited well enough, or is our system that tough to get accustomed to? Just curious, because I was hoping to be hearing that we'll be upgraded next year with Demler or Comes, but the JC talk has me wondering if we have the talent in place to take our program to the next level.

Another thing that is a concern is undisciplined penalties. Maybe somebody has stats that could bear this out or not, but it just seems that we have taken more than our fair share of undisciplined penalties this year -- especially personal fouls. Is this what we can expect from here on out in Division 1 because of getting players from all over the country, or should this still be something that should be held in control? It just seems to me that it always seemed that we benefited from the personal fouls in the past, and now we are becoming a victim of it, if you can consider being a victim when it is self-inflicted. Anybody have thoughts on this?

One concern I have is that Mussman said a few weeks back that he was going to see how things played out over the last part of the season before he decides whether he needs to go the Junior College route for a quarterback. Does this mean that he would do this for depth reasons, or is he just not that confident in what he sees in the redshirts and beyond? I guess I assumed from the glowing comments about Demler that he might be the quarterback we needed. If none of the quarterbacks we have appear to be standing out with what appears to be average quarterbacks left in the stable, have we just not recruited well enough, or is our system that tough to get accustomed to? Just curious, because I was hoping to be hearing that we'll be upgraded next year with Demler or Comes, but the JC talk has me wondering if we have the talent in place to take our program to the next level.

Cue the Cam Newton fiasco. Not that UND could recruit any where near that kind of talent nor does UND have $150-200K to get a stud like that! ;)

To me, the JC route is nothing more than a band-aid on a gaping wound.

My take was that he may want someone to hold the position for a year or 2 until either Demler or Comes was ready. A lot of coaches don't like to put a freshman, even a redshirt freshman, in as a starter right away. One of the 2 guys playing quarterback this year is probably the starter at the beginning of next year. Either Demler or Comes could take over that position during the year, or during the following offseason, if they are ready. A JC QB would be in the mix for next year with the current 2 guys.

Cue the Cam Newton fiasco. Not that UND could recruit any where near that kind of talent nor does UND have $150-200K to get a stud like that! ;)

To me, the JC route is nothing more than a band-aid on a gaping wound.

Some programs have had some good luck filling in some gaps with JUCO players (not too much at NDSU). I think if you find the right people it can help fill holes that develop as recruiting classes mature.

I'm curious, is there anything we have seen that has shown us that Mussman is the guy to lead this football program into FCS and the Big Sky?

At any point have you said to yourself, man are we lucky to have him?

Can you believe only 4 completed passes in one FB game to the WR's? 9 for 30 overall! That has to be a record going all the way back to Knute Rockne for a college FB game low. I think the refs missed a few calls today, but you have to play thru that and have some way to move the ball. I am still pretty proud of this team for hanging in there in several games where the offense was just overmatched. Moral victories need to turn in to real ones soon though.

The following is a quote from Texas head coach Mack Brown. I hope Chris Mussman feels the same way.

"If you're coaching a position, and your position's not playing well every week, I can't trust that you're doing a good job of coaching," Brown said. "If one of your guys is playing bad, I can change him. If three of your guys are playing bad, I've got to change you."

Can you believe only 4 completed passes in one FB game to the WR's? 9 for 30 overall! That has to be a record going all the way back to Knute Rockne for a college FB game low. I think the refs missed a few calls today, but you have to play thru that and have some way to move the ball. I am still pretty proud of this team for hanging in there in several games where the offense was just overmatched. Moral victories need to turn in to real ones soon though.

Not even close to a record. A lot of option teams over the years had less completions in a game. At all levels of football from what is now BCS down to Division III and NAIA. And a week ago you had this stat line.

PASSING Cmp-Att-Int Yds TD Long Sack

Klein, Collin 2-4-0 9 0 5 2

Totals... 2-4-0 9 0 5 2

You're probably wondering where that came from. It was the entire passing attack for Kansas State when they played Texas on November 6, 2010. Oh yeah, Kansas State won by a score of 39-14.

Edit: Texas managed 2 sacks for 11 yards in this game. So the K State passing offense resulted in -2 yards.

I disagree with most of you - I think the Coach Muss is doing fine. Last year during spring practice he talked about how this was going to be an up and down season. In fact, I believe that he noted that this team will have a rough couple of years because it was going to be young. In addition, he noted how important it was last year to get QBs and skill players into the system. He seemed very happy to have the two QB recruits last year. I think we saw this year what he saw coming. Unfortunately, it take time to turn things around. So, I do not look for drastic improvements until 2012.

I disagree with most of you - I think the Coach Muss is doing fine. Last year during spring practice he talked about how this was going to be an up and down season. In fact, I believe that he noted that this team will have a rough couple of years because it was going to be young. In addition, he noted how important it was last year to get QBs and skill players into the system. He seemed very happy to have the two QB recruits last year. I think we saw this year what he saw coming. Unfortunately, it take time to turn things around. So, I do not look for drastic improvements until 2012.

He saw this team was going to be crappy and let us know about it?

WOW that's impressive!

Does he think next years also going to be a "up and down season" too?

When was this team up? When we crushed a D2 team? That is the calibur of this team. We would be lucky to compete in the NSIC. This season is garbage and it started by the @ss whooping we got in Idaho. I will chalk up this team for being so young but if we start 2011 0-3 or 0-4 Mussman must go then and there.

• Upvote 1

I too thought the team would have troubles this year being so young, which makes it all the more odd that he chose to pull the redshirt off of Jake Miller for spot duty in a few games. Knowing how Weston Dressler wasn't utilized much until his sophomore season and how great it would have been to have him one more year after the learning curve, why would you waste a year of eligibility for Jake Miller when you know a couple of years down the road is what you are building for. I don't particularly like responding with a negative comment, especially when I don't agree with the premise of this thread. Every coach makes mistakes, and he should have the opportunity to correct those, especially when most people understood that there would be growing pains.

When was this team up? When we crushed a D2 team? That is the calibur of this team. We would be lucky to compete in the NSIC. This season is garbage and it started by the @ss whooping we got in Idaho. I will chalk up this team for being so young but if we start 2011 0-3 or 0-4 Mussman must go then and there.

And yet others on this board see a perfect opportunity next year to season a RF quarterback and wonder why Mussman would talk about a JUCO QB. Love to hear the frustration after the Sioux -- in their 3rd year of transition, without their starting QB -- lose by 10 to a premier FCS program at one of the most intimidating venues in the country. High expectations are an important part of a foundation for success. But can anyone blame the coach if he goes for the quick fix (JUCO QB) instead of buildling "the right way" for the future by living and dying with the inconsistent play of a frosh QB when half the fan base is calling for his head if next year doesn't bring instant success?

Agree that taking Jake Miller's red shirt was a waste. Can't remember any true freshman -- not Jim Kleinsasser nor Weston Dressler -- who contributed significantly at UND. Miller doesn't appear to have blazing speed or dazzling moves but seems to consistently find open running lanes and positive yardage. It would've been good to see him for four more years, after a year in the weightroom.

AND FWIW, USD lost yesterday to Lamar, who the Sioux defeated handily a few weeks ago. Apparently in transition, there's nothing as consistent as inconsistency.

I too thought the team would have troubles this year being so young, which makes it all the more odd that he chose to pull the redshirt off of Jake Miller for spot duty in a few games. Knowing how Weston Dressler wasn't utilized much until his sophomore season and how great it would have been to have him one more year after the learning curve, why would you waste a year of eligibility for Jake Miller when you know a couple of years down the road is what you are building for. I don't particularly like responding with a negative comment, especially when I don't agree with the premise of this thread. Every coach makes mistakes, and he should have the opportunity to correct those, especially when most people understood that there would be growing pains.

I don't think Muss had a choice, he had to pull the redshirt on one RB just to have 2 in the lineup for a couple of games. In hindsight, perhaps he should have moved Goska to RB because he sure as hell is not a QB and pulled the RS off one of the freshman QB's. Move Miller to a WR position and maybe Hendrickson also next year and give the QB job to one of the new kids. They cannot do any worse than what we witnessed this last few weeks. That said Landry was not an effective QB in several games either. Tough year, not enough numbers or talent at the skill positions. Hope next year is better with the kids already on campus plus some outstanding recruits if we can get them.

If they are going to get a new coach into the program they need to go with the sooner than later attitude. One more year of transition until they are eligible for postseason play. Let a new guy come in, put his system in place, and have all guns firing for their first year of postseason eligibility. If Mussman is around next year, you may as well keep him around for a couple years longer to see if his system really will ever get working.

I'm still waiting for possible new coaches.....Maybe Nielson from Duluth? Schweigert? COME BACK DALE!!!! :lol:

I don't think Muss had a choice, he had to pull the redshirt on one RB just to have 2 in the lineup for a couple of games. In hindsight, perhaps he should have moved Goska to RB because he sure as hell is not a QB and pulled the RS off one of the freshman QB's. Move Miller to a WR position and maybe Hendrickson also next year and give the QB job to one of the new kids. They cannot do any worse than what we witnessed this last few weeks. That said Landry was not an effective QB in several games either. Tough year, not enough numbers or talent at the skill positions. Hope next year is better with the kids already on campus plus some outstanding recruits if we can get them.

Wasn't Solum the top running back going into fall camp the year Murray had to sit out? Don't know why you couldn't makeshift formations for one game, especially since you only needed a series from that person every once in a while. How many rushing attempts did Miller have in that game and a half?

He saw this team was going to be crappy and let us know about it?

WOW that's impressive!

Does he think next years also going to be a "up and down season" too?

I would ask this question? Do you see much difference in this team if Dale L was still coach of this team. I don't, Lennon left because he saw the writing on the wall and that it was going to take about 4/5 years to build the program at the FCS level. Plan and simple it will take time to build the program at the FCS level. You have two basis paths - JUCO and FBS transfers or recruit and build. It is hard to go with option one when you do not have playoffs as an option. So, you have to go with recruit and build and that is a slow process that takes 2 to 3 years to see the any results. Plus, recruiting to this point has been at a disadvantage because of no playoffs. Again, I am not saying that I am happy with the state of the program. But, it is going to take time to build the program.

If Davis, Townsend and the other recievers had not gone down early and Bamba leaving the team - he would have red shirted. I think it came down to body counts at the position. This years team was paper thin at WR/RB/OL and QB. I think that will be changing as things start to balance out going forward.

I would ask this question? Do you see much difference in this team if Dale L was still coach of this team. I don't, Lennon left because he saw the writing on the wall and that it was going to take about 4/5 years to build the program at the FCS level. Plan and simple it will take time to build the program at the FCS level. You have two basis paths - JUCO and FBS transfers or recruit and build. It is hard to go with option one when you do not have playoffs as an option. So, you have to go with recruit and build and that is a slow process that takes 2 to 3 years to see the any results. Plus, recruiting to this point has been at a disadvantage because of no playoffs. Again, I am not saying that I am happy with the state of the program. But, it going to take time to build the program.

I actually think the program would have suffered at the D2 level with the junior and senior recruiting class if we had stayed on that course . What's helping now is the So, and RFr classes. Former AD Buning reduced Lennon's recruiting budget his final two years - so recruiting outside the region was basically impossible because of the costs of flights. In the meantime, NDSU and SDSU were scarfing up many of the recruits that Lennon used to be competitive for when there weren't FCS team recruiting Minnesota and Wisconsin.