SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Mussman

darell1976

When was this team up? When we crushed a D2 team? That is the calibur of this team. We would be lucky to compete in the NSIC. This season is garbage and it started by the @ss whooping we got in Idaho. I will chalk up this team for being so young but if we start 2011 0-3 or 0-4 Mussman must go then and there.

I think the team was "up" when playing at Northern Illinois. It's entirely possible Sioux got jobbed on goal line TD call that was reversed if I'm not mistaken, which likely would have turned a 23-17 defeat into a 24-23 victory. Northern Illinois is 8-2 currently, if I'm not mistaken, with losses coming to Iowa State and Illinois. I'd say that was an "up" game for us. Plus, I saw some good things happening in the Montana game in spite of the loss.

Was anyone else bothered when he threw our long snapper under the bus after the Davis game re the "fake punt"?

He did it in post game and on Sioux Sports Extra.

Have you ever heard him publically take responsibility for any isssues following a game? He throws players under the bus and officials basically after every game. And let's not forget the "We went toe to toe with them" comment following the 45-0 drubbing at Idaho.

Is this the "leadership" this FB programs needs and wants heading into the Big Sky???

• Upvote 2

The Dutch farmer lurks out there.

He made a move a year ago to ensure his resume would have the correct credentials when the time comes.

It's coming ...

If the Dutch farmer is who I think it is I'd rather keep Mussman around.

Is Kalen the first name of the guy you are thinking of?

No. I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Could you guys please enlighten those of us (me) that aren't sure who the Dutch farmer would be?

While I don't think Mussman should be fired, I am curious as to why you think "he has earned it". I think if he had earned it, the question as to whether or not he should continue as the head coach would be much easier to answer.

I think he should keep his job because I think the odds of getting a good quality coach here at this low point in the transition are small. Mussman is part and parcel of digging the hole the program is now in. Let him keep the shovel until they are playoff eligible. At that point, either he turns it around or the job is now more attractive to someone who can. I do not however, agree that Mussman has earned that opportunity. The lack of quality wins is evidence of that.

I guess my point in believing he's "earned" the right to see this through to the Big Sky is the body of work he's done over 10 or more years with the program. He was a very good O.C., winning a National Championship. We always had excellent DII football players on offense and he gets a lot of credit for recognizing talent at that level and bringing them to UND. Now that we have a conference affiliation, lets let him have the chance to go get players for this level too. Other than QB, I believe our skill people are pretty good right now. We all knew that this period of football wasn't going to be very good. Kids aren't lining up to play here when there is no playoff aspirations or conference affiliation attached to who we are. Now, that's behind us and lets see what he can do. I believe he'll be fine.

• Upvote 1

I guess my point in believing he's "earned" the right to see this through to the Big Sky is the body of work he's done over 10 or more years with the program. He was a very good O.C., winning a National Championship. We always had excellent DII football players on offense and he gets a lot of credit for recognizing talent at that level and bringing them to UND. Now that we have a conference affiliation, lets let him have the chance to go get players for this level too. Other than QB, I believe our skill people are pretty good right now. We all knew that this period of football wasn't going to be very good. Kids aren't lining up to play here when there is no playoff aspirations or conference affiliation attached to who we are. Now, that's behind us and lets see what he can do. I believe he'll be fine.

Dont think he was the OC on the National Title team. O-Line coach?

Agree. He's only had two recruiting classes that are solely his own and both classes seem to be above average (won't know for sure for another year or two). If he gets 3 more years, his first recruiting class will then be seniors (those that redshirted their freshman year) and his work will stand on it's own, one way or the other. I agree with some of the posts that discipline needs to be improved with respect to uniforms being tucked in, etc., etc., etc.

Illinois just lost to minnesota right?? toe-to-toe moral victory I guess...

UND lost to Northern Illinois 23-17 at Northern Illinois. Minnesota lost to Northern Illinois 34-23 in Minneapolis. Minnesota beat the University of Illinois 38-34 at Illinois. Not sure where there's a moral victory anywhere in there.

Disappointing game today, especially since I drove down from Fargo and sat in the cold to watch that debacle. Overall, with the exception of some poor pass defense, the D looked pretty good. On the offensive side of the ball, the Sioux looked like a junior high squad. I continue to be amazed that a college quarterback at ANY level can be as inaccurate as our dynamic duo is. Sadly, we also couldn't run the ball, as any defense facing the Sioux can stack 10 in the box when they don't have any respect for that pathetic passing game.

Mussman has to bring in a junior college QB before next year if they keep him around. Personally, I think he needs to go and UND needs to bring someone in with no ties to UND, that has recruiting ties outside of ND and MN. Until that happens, look for more of the same.

Disappointing game today, especially since I drove down from Fargo and sat in the cold to watch that debacle. Overall, with the exception of some poor pass defense, the D looked pretty good. On the offensive side of the ball, the Sioux looked like a junior high squad. I continue to be amazed that a college quarterback at ANY level can be as inaccurate as our dynamic duo is. Sadly, we also couldn't run the ball, as any defense facing the Sioux can stack 10 in the box when they don't have any respect for that pathetic passing game.

Mussman has to bring in a junior college QB before next year if they keep him around. Personally, I think he needs to go and UND needs to bring someone in with no ties to UND, that has recruiting ties outside of ND and MN. Until that happens, look for more of the same.

He's been saying all week that they are bringing in a JUCO and I believe today he even said it needs to be at semester time which makes sense for spring ball. The real question is if we can get one by then.

I think if you look at our roster now, we are recruiting plenty outside the area. Not many ND kids on that roster. I'd never not want to recruit Minn. The metro area is loaded with players.

He's been saying all week that they are bringing in a JUCO and I believe today he even said it needs to be at semester time which makes sense for spring ball. The real question is if we can get one by then.

Would Mussman say this continuously, unless he already had a couple kids targeted and interested? I would hope not.

Would Mussman say this continuously, unless he already had a couple kids targeted and interested? I would hope not.

Same here, but the way he's been phrasing it just has made it seem like they are still looking. Saying it like we "need" to bring one instead of "are" bringing one in.