SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Mussman

darell1976

After last nights loss I would definately be in favor of firing Mussman...but the only thing that stops me from saying it is how did Roger Thomas do when he took over UND from Pat Behrns in 1986 he did nothing but build the team from the cellar to the top even beating the all mighty Bison in 1993. Maybe with Landry gone and as this team matures we will also grow. But this team needs help in the offseason and we need to put this season behind us.

• Upvote 1

After last nights loss I would definately be in favor of firing Mussman...but the only thing that stops me from saying it is how did Roger Thomas do when he took over UND from Pat Behrns in 1986 he did nothing but build the team from the cellar to the top even beating the all mighty Bison in 1993. Maybe with Landry gone and as this team matures we will also grow. But this team needs help in the offseason and we need to put this season behind us.

Let's see, UND played a game on the road against their toughest FCS opponent so far this year. The opponent is currently ranked anywhere from 20-23 in different polls. They were at 13 a week ago before they lost to SUU at SUU. An opponent that beat perennial FCS football power Montana already this year. UND loses by 1 point. They missed a field goal with less than 5 minutes to play and had the ball driving in the last minute of the game. And this is the game that makes you think the coach nees to be fired. There isn't an athletic director in the country that would fire a coach because of last night's loss.

Well, as of right now if I count correctly he is 14 - 14 as a head coach. He was touted as an offensive genius when he got the head coaching job. Well, the offense has not been very good this year and there have been no signature wins and only a few moral victories. I think the jury is still out and you have to give him at least one more year. I can handle losing, I can't handle getting embarassed or not being competitive. There have been several games and halves this year where I think the team just missed the game bus. Maybe some staff changes are in order. I have cancelled trips to both home and away games due to their weak performances. I would like to say next year that I will be there, but not if this continues.

Right on. While we're at it, the Coyotes lost to Southern Utah yesterday by more than we did and have lost 3 in a row, so fire Meierkort!! Fire the OC!! Panic, panic! Fire the DC!! Fire the quarterback!! Panic, panic!! Fire the equpment manager!! Actually, good job, Sioux, against a top-notch team yesterday, even though your defense has been decimated by injuries and you've got an extremely young team. You showed great character the way you came back after being badly outplayed the first quarter and a half. Shows that the coaching staff made some good adjustments as the game went on. You're right on track for two years from now when you'll be playoff eligible. Looking forward to seeing you in person against UC Davis. Go, SIOUX!!

Well, as of right now if I count correctly he is 14 - 14 as a head coach. He was touted as an offensive genius when he got the head coaching job. Well, the offense has not been very good this year and there have been no signature wins and only a few moral victories. I think the jury is still out and you have to give him at least one more year. I can handle losing, I can't handle getting embarassed or not being competitive. There have been several games and halves this year where I think the team just missed the game bus. Maybe some staff changes are in order. I have cancelled trips to both home and away games due to their weak performances. I would like to say next year that I will be there, but not if this continues.

To break down the 14-14 record a bit further:

6-1 vs. dII/III/NAIA

8-10 vs. FCS

0-3 vs. FBS

I have said it before, and I'll say it again: Mussman deserves another year, and I believe he will get that. However, some things absolutely need to change in order for him to have a long career as a head coach at UND:

-Fix the pass defense. Yesterday showed that the current version of the 3-4 still works pretty well against running teams. The problem is, most teams aren't running teams, and our pass defense has mostly been terrible over the past four years or so. How to fix it? I can think of a start, but whether Mussman is willing to take the necessary action remains to be seen...

-Upgrade the offensive line talent, and find a few more legit receivers, as we currently only have one. I think Townsend will help next year, and hopefully at least one out of McGill, Ivery and Carrasco can step up. As for the line, retention of recruits has been a problem for several years. It's frustrating because offensive line should be one area where there's sufficient talent in ND/NW MN/WI to put together a decent group year after year. The line does not appear to be as good now as it was in the 1990's/first half of the 2000's.

Let's see, UND played a game on the road against their toughest FCS opponent so far this year. The opponent is currently ranked anywhere from 20-23 in different polls. They were at 13 a week ago before they lost to SUU at SUU. An opponent that beat perennial FCS football power Montana already this year. UND loses by 1 point. They missed a field goal with less than 5 minutes to play and had the ball driving in the last minute of the game. And this is the game that makes you think the coach nees to be fired. There isn't an athletic director in the country that would fire a coach because of last night's loss.

This topic is based more on the total body of work from Mussman, not on last night's game. I think Mussman deserves a couple of more years, but after that, "transition" can't be used as an all-purpose excuse for losing and having to settle for moral victories. I don't want to hear anyone in the media, on this forum and especially on the coaching staff use the word "transition" from August 2012 and thereafter. If I hear anyone in 2012 say "well, we are still kind of, sort of a transition team", I think I will be sick. If we don't have the athletes and talent to compete in FCS by that time, then we might need to make a change at the top. Right now, I would be satisfied with a shake-up in the coaching staff.

The first order of business is for UND to pay assistant coaches the going salary for FCS. If we don't do that, any coaching change we could possibly make would never work out because few decent assistants would accept what we pay.

I don't disagree that the pay needs to be whatever the going rate is. However, I believe UND pays better than USD, and they managed to bring in a pretty good DC in the off-season from USF.

I don't disagree that the pay needs to be whatever the going rate is. However, I believe UND pays better than USD, and they managed to bring in a pretty good DC in the off-season from USF.

But I think that is the exception rather than the rule. Sioux Falls is pretty close to Vermillion and the coach in question probably didn't have a problem accepting a lower salary at an FCS school if he didn't have to move in the process. In order to compete for the best FCS coach talent, we will have to raise salaries.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again: Mussman deserves another year, and I believe he will get that. However, some things absolutely need to change in order for him to have a long career as a head coach at UND:

Not saying there might not be some changes that need making, but Muss will be here for the next few years unless he loses control of the team.

We need to get (1) an autobid conference and (2) the practice facility announced before Christmas. I bet we have no clue how much that would help recruiting.

Until we have those things, Muss hasn't really had a fair chance, and it would limit who would be interested in the job.

• Downvote 1

But I think that is the exception rather than the rule. Sioux Falls is pretty close to Vermillion and the coach in question probably didn't have a problem accepting a lower salary at an FCS school if he didn't have to move in the process. In order to compete for the best FCS coach talent, we will have to raise salaries.

I think it goes back to what has been said before about Mussman's pay--while he may not be highly paid relative to other FCS head coaches, he's getting paid fairly well given his lack of experience and track record as a head coach. I suspect the same can be said of our coordinators. But yes, I agree that IF a change were made, at least in any of the coordinator positions, the pay should go up so as to attract quality candidates.

Right on. While we're at it, the Coyotes lost to Southern Utah yesterday by more than we did and have lost 3 in a row, so fire Meierkort!! Fire the OC!! Panic, panic! Fire the DC!! Fire the quarterback!! Panic, panic!! Fire the equpment manager!! Actually, good job, Sioux, against a top-notch team yesterday, even though your defense has been decimated by injuries and you've got an extremely young team. You showed great character the way you came back after being badly outplayed the first quarter and a half. Shows that the coaching staff made some good adjustments as the game went on. You're right on track for two years from now when you'll be playoff eligible. Looking forward to seeing you in person against UC Davis. Go, SIOUX!!

As I look at this season, and Muss' overall record, it's VERY difficult to describe the situation as being "right on track". I don't see this team as "right on track" to winning a Great West title, let alone having an overall record good enough to get an at large bid to the playoffs. What am I missing?

There will be NO moral victories or signature wins until we are in a conference, playing for playoff berths, and possibly national title berths again. You will NOT find a coach when you have those strikes currently against you. Coach has been here long enough to run this thing out and see where we are in a couple years. He was the O-Coordinator on the National Title team so he must know a little about football. Change just to change doesn't work so let him alone and lets pull for the Big Sky to come up with an invitation this week.

Not saying there might not be some changes that need making, but Muss will be here for the next few years unless he loses control of the team.

We need to get (1) an autobid conference and (2) the practice facility announced before Christmas. I bet we have no clue how much that would help recruiting.

Until we have those things, Muss hasn't really had a fair chance, and it would limit who would be interested in the job.

Totally agree: those two would be huge.

I also wonder how much Big Sky membership would mean to all recruits, not just football. Would they rather travel to San Luis Obispo or Terre Haute? Flagstaff or Fort Wayne? Detroit or Portland? Missoula or Macomb, Ill?

My guess, We score 2 more points we are not even having these discussions.....

but then again wining according to every message board in the Country is easy.....?

Agree. The idea that Mussman is in any danger is ridiculous. He has two more years unless there is a Best Buy meltdown situation. Assistants and coordinators however may be open for change.

My thoughts:

UND is going through three transitions: 1) Division I 2) Coaching and 3) Scheme. This is going to take a min of two years to run its course. Mussman said earlier this year that this year and next are going to be a challenges and they are building for 2012. UND is build via recruiting and using the red shirt process as much as possible. So, I had my expectations at 500 ball for the next couple of years. If we had to win now, I am sure we would see lots of shirts pulled and numerous JUCO and FBS transfer players. But, I see UND as trying to build a solid base through the transition. It is going to take some patience and for me the final grades will come out at the end of 2012.

And you guys keep thinking our football program is in the toilet, look in the mirror. Thank god you bought out Sioux Falls so you didn't have to play them again, WHEW!

This is the same old stuff we always see on here. Remember, it is how we come out of the transition that counts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And you guys keep thinking our football program is in the toilet, look in the mirror. Thank god you bought out Sioux Falls so you didn't have to play them again, WHEW!

Will you even be back here when the Bison lose their next two to miss the playoffs yet again? Your squad is currently an also-ran in a mediocre FCS conference so I'm not sure you have that much to brag about.

• Downvote 3

Will you even be back here when the Bison lose their next two to miss the playoffs yet again? Your squad is currently an also-ran in a mediocre FCS conference so I'm not sure you have that much to brag about.

Mediocre conference that has your ex-und coach with one of its teams? So, you think Lennon is in a bad conference? Funny

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1