SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Mussman

darell1976

what has anyone seen from a leadership standpoint, X's and O's coaching standpoint, communication standpoint, or overall gut feeling standpoint that this is OUR guy to lead us into the Big Sky??

Things I like:

-He's a great offensive mind

-It looks as though we have recruited well overall under his watch: Hardin, Sutton, Mackey, Goodman, Andrews, Bennett, Z. Miller

-He seems to expect alot from his players off the field: Murray was rewarded for correcting his problems, Bamba was booted for not despite being the best player on the team.

-If we were 9-2 this year, we'd all love how he pisses and moans about officiating.

Things I don't like:

-Apparently wasn't aware that Jake Landry was graduating this year

-Inconsistent play from his squad

-Too emotional on the sideline

I don't know if Mussman is the guy to lead us long term or not. But I don't think he should be fired for having one losing season in which his starting QB was lost for a good part of the year. Also, programs that change coaches often don't tend to do all that well. I don't like the prospects of turning to a new coach with a bad team that is filled with players that probably wouldn't fit his system. Then we have to sit and wait three years for him to get his players in to judge him.

Things I like:

-He's a great offensive mind

-It looks as though we have recruited well overall under his watch: Hardin, Sutton, Mackey, Goodman, Andrews, Bennett, Z. Miller

-He seems to expect alot from his players off the field: Murray was rewarded for correcting his problems, Bamba was booted for not despite being the best player on the team.

-If we were 9-2 this year, we'd all love how he pisses and moans about officiating.

Things I don't like:

-Apparently wasn't aware that Jake Landry was graduating this year

-Inconsistent play from his squad

-Too emotional on the sideline

:lol::ohmy::(

I can't get past the your 1st point...if you honestly believe that...wow!

Great offensive minds don't punt on 4th and 1 at your opponents 40 with the game on the line.

Great offensive minds, with a 2nd or 3rd string QB, don't contiually run on 1st and 2nd down so that your inexperienced QBs have to throw the ball on 3rd and long.

I could go on just on this 1st point alone...

• Upvote 1

Part of the problem for Muss is the history he is working against. When the program has wins vs SUU, Davis, and UNI; they used to beat the Jacks on a regular basis; then you INCREASE the number of scholarship athletes available to him, you do have expectations that you can beat those type of teams. There were more exciting FBS wins for this program when it was D2. A signature win that everyone can get excited about is desperately needed.

I think the Jacks have gotten a lot tougher in FB. They used to be a bit of a patsy, but not anymore. The competition is just a heck of a lot tougher in FCS because most the programs you play are fully funded scholly wise. That was not the case in D2, so schools like UND and NDSU that did fully fund had an easier time being dominant. The step up in Basketball is especially noticable also. Wins are earned at the DI level. Much, much tougher than the days of D2.

They made the playoffs last year and have been regularly ranked the last several seasons, including in this seasons preseason polls. They haven't had any signature wins like NDSU did, but overall have played much tougher FCS competition throughout their transition, and had success doing it. Their transition on the football field was really quite remarkable considering their mediocre history in DII.

And the fact that it actually took them several years to reach 63 scholarships.

The things I like:

-Obviously Muss has an offensive system he wants to run and seems to be recruiting the players to fit it. So far we have recruited a little bit smaller O-linemen, small, quick WR's, and quick RB's. I would not mind giving him time to let him get the players to fit his system to see what he can do. He has proven in the past that when he has the talent to run what he would like he runs a good offense. In the past Muss has changed his offensive system to fit his players, this year he seems to be sticking with this system even though the players weren't there and I don't mind that.

- Anyone who has been around Muss can't deny that he relates to players pretty well.

- We finally are in a conference. Nothing to do with Muss but can only help in recruiting which in turn will put more talent on the field.

- Muss truely has the schedule anyone, anytime mentality. He has that arrogance as a coach and he's not afraid of a challenge. He doesn't just say it and than turn around and not believe it. He's an arrogant man and this is times where thats a good thing.

Things I don't like:

- Team record.

- At times I wonder about some players effort and if they truely care about what Muss and the coaching staff think. I know with our previous two coaches you didn't dare take a play off because you didn't want a coach to see that on film. Didn't want to let them down. I'm not in the locker room so I don't know this about Muss.

- Enough about going toe to toe and moral victories. I know its lip service and he's trying to keep the fans interested when we are having a down year but I'm tired of hearing it.

They made the playoffs last year and have been regularly ranked the last several seasons, including in this seasons preseason polls. They haven't had any signature wins like NDSU did, but overall have played much tougher FCS competition throughout their transition, and had success doing it. Their transition on the football field was really quite remarkable considering their mediocre history in DII.

I agree their transition has been impressive given their DII history -- yet another testimonial to the advantage they enjoyed by being in the first wave of Dakota schools to make the jump to FCS.

Overall, though, I don't think their early transition was all that different from ours. (Yes, you've FORCED me to actually look it up :) )

In their last year of DII, SDSU was 7-4. In 2004-05, their first transitional year, they were 6-5 including wins against at least 3 division II schools. In year 2, they again posted a 6-5 record, including wins over non-scholly Valporaiso and Wisconsin-La Crosse and then-hapless S. Utah. UND's record in years 1 & 2? 6-5 and 6-5.

Year 3 is where you can see a contrast: SDSU improved to 7-4, despite a home loss to La Crosse. As we all know the wheels fell off for UND in year 3 with a miserable 3-8 record. SDSU went on to post a 7-4 record in '07 (For point of comparison, they beat S. Utah at home by 25 points; the Sioux, in their last year of DII, beat them by 27 points on the road). They followed with records of 6-5 and an impressive 8-3 last year before falling back to earth this year with a 5-6 record against a tough schedule.

We'll see which way UND is headed next year. If anything, comparing records show just how irratic inexperienced and thin transition teams can be. Pretty early, I think, to make a final judgment on UND's transition.

Great offensive minds don't punt on 4th and 1 at your opponents 40 with the game on the line.

Great offensive minds, with a 2nd or 3rd string QB, don't contiually run on 1st and 2nd down so that your inexperienced QBs have to throw the ball on 3rd and long.

Mussman isn't the offensive coordinator anymore, he doesn't call the plays. When he did call the plays, from 2001-2007, UND broke pretty much every offensive record of significance in school history.

Mussman isn't the offensive coordinator anymore, he doesn't call the plays. When he did call the plays, from 2001-2007, UND broke pretty much every offensive record of significance in school history.

True to an extent...he still is the main rutter on this sinking ship though. You don't think he made the call at Poly to punt it away on 4th and 1? :huh: You don't think he has input during a game to say let's diversify our play calling so we aren't constantly 3rd and 8 with a 3rd string QB because we ran it off tackle on 1st and 2nd down? :huh:

Not disagreeing with your point when he was OC from '01-'07, but don't enable him for what happend this year offensively. He is ultimately in charge.

If I were a head coach (scary, huh) and saw that on weekly basis my offense was under performing and I had years of experience as an OC, I would want to take over the reigns. The performance of this team and it's coaches is ultimately Mussman's responsibility.

I use the New Orleans Saints as an example of a head coach who has an offense driven mind. Payton defers all of the responsibilities of the defense to Gregg Williams, but Payton runs the offense. He has an OC who assists him, but Payton calls the shots. Here is an article from last year in regards to the relationship the Saints OC has in the overall scheme.

Ultimately the success or failure of Sioux football rests on Mussman.

Maybe Muss will have to step in this year and take over the play calling duties. As a head coach though you have to have trust in your coordinators, if not why have them around. Like I said in my post, I think the coaching staff has a system they would like to run but didn't have the players with experience to fit that system yet. In years past we would have tweaked it a little to fit our personel, this year it looks like they stuck with it. I don't have a problem with that as it gives our young guys experience running a system and it shows exactly what you need to recruit and what type of player you need to find.

You mean like the exact same run play four times in a row at Montana? :silly:

You mean like the exact same run play four times in a row at Montana? :silly:

It all comes down to execution. How many times did Lennon run a bubble screen time after time? If the plays work, they work. If they don't, try something different. Looks like he's staying, but that leash must be awfully tight. :blink:

It all comes down to execution. How many times did Lennon run a bubble screen time after time? If the plays work, they work. If they don't, try something different. Looks like he's staying, but that leash must be awfully tight. :blink:

Your right UNDershirt. Welcome to the Board.

But I wouldn't expect them to run the bubble screen four times in a row. I was tired of watching it back then, but found myself wishing they used it a lot more this year especially with our seemingly inaccurate passers.

For what its worth, one of the plays was the "long run of the day." He gets a little more leeway. ;)

As much as I may be unhappy with Mussman, I wouldn't fire him this year. He is learning and had a lot of things going against him.

• Upvote 1

Your right UNDershirt. Welcome to the Board.

But I wouldn't expect them to run the bubble screen four times in a row. I was tired of watching it back then, but found myself wishing they used it a lot more this year especially with our seemingly inaccurate passers.

For what its worth, one of the plays was the "long run of the day." He gets a little more leeway. ;)

As much as I may be unhappy with Mussman, I wouldn't fire him this year. He is learning and had a lot of things going against him.

Little known fact....the bubble screen is an audible called at the line by the qb based on the alignment of the defense. Have we gotten away from it...YES! did it work before? Yes. Do we have the playmakers to work it again? Yes, look at hardin/mcgill. Not the coaches call, but the QB reading the defense and putting the offense in the best stuation to win.

While the coaches put us in difficult situations many times this year you can't put ALL the blame ont he coaches. The QB's know they have this option ANY time they want it, they just don't use it enough.

This simple bubble screen spreads the defense out which in turn opens up our run game for Murray/Sutton/Miller....

Little known fact....the bubble screen is an audible called at the line by the qb based on the alignment of the defense. Have we gotten away from it...YES! did it work before? Yes. Do we have the playmakers to work it again? Yes, look at hardin/mcgill. Not the coaches call, but the QB reading the defense and putting the offense in the best stuation to win.

While the coaches put us in difficult situations many times this year you can't put ALL the blame ont he coaches. The QB's know they have this option ANY time they want it, they just don't use it enough.

This simple bubble screen spreads the defense out which in turn opens up our run game for Murray/Sutton/Miller....

As for qb's who can't complete passes downfield, these are simple passes that will prevent defense from putting 7 or 8 people in the box to stop the run.

I am not convinced a coaching change does anything for th eprogram right now. There is clearly an improvement in the atheltic ability of the DB's and LB's The last two classes are pretty good. Coach Belmore works very hard at engaging the Alumni and does a good job recruiting Mannasau (sp) had a great relationship with Mn. HS coaches.

We were at a big disadvantage when we announced the move to FCS but this years recruiting class should be the measuring stick. I stated before I was disappointed in some of the play selection esp punting inside the opponents 50 when we had nothing to lose. Sometimes you need to punt there but not this year and not when we need to let the guys know this is how we play Sioux FB. you go out and make those plays.

Can't see change will be made and I don't think it does anything for the program right now. Next year is the decision year.

Consensus seems to be that Muss gets another year and I tend to agree. However, my issues with his job so far run deep. At the center seems to be not playing to win. His gutless 4th down calls and his willingness to give up 10 yard passes at will (as long as we don't look bad and get beat deep) really irritate me. He seems content to play not to get beat real bad (not that it is working). Give me a young team that takes its lumps but gets after teams any day. Couple this with an unawareness from our staff that going with Landry, then nobody, is not a strategy that will lead to a good season. The failure to have a QB to speak of falls squarely on the coaches. We have seen a glimpse into a possible future in our last two home games. If we don't pick it up, try to win, and get up in someone's grill soon, our future is a 5000 crowd with 30 students and no atmosphere. One more year to turn the attitude around, then bye bye.

I would give Mussman two more years. If there isn't dramatic improvement with the won-loss record and the on-field performance of the team by 2012, it will be time for a change. I do not want to end up like Northern Colorado.

I am not a Mussman fan, but I think he deserves one more year. Most great/good coaches have had their losing years. BUT, after this last year, he is only 3-8 in the GW conf and 15-17 overall. That is not acceptable long term for UND. I do think he should get one more year, not 2, to show what kind of coach he is. The 2011 season may turn out to be a tough or easy season depending on the TBD schedule. Obviously Fresno and Idaho will be tough games to win. So count two losses out of the gate. If he can finish at .500 or above against the GWC foes and win all the cupcakes on the schedule he should hang around. If the team looks as embarassing as this year, even in losing, he should be gone, gone, gone.

As for qb's who can't complete passes downfield, these are simple passes that will prevent defense from putting 7 or 8 people in the box to stop the run.

So who is to blame for the QBs having gotten away from it if its still there? The QBs themselves or the coaches for not emphasizing it enough?

So who is to blame for the QBs having gotten away from it if its still there? The QBs themselves or the coaches for not emphasizing it enough?

While most have been quick to throw Mussman under the bus compared to me, the situation of QB succession is really the only point that raises my concerns about the head coach. I saw nothing in the last three games that would lead me to believe that either Goska or Hendrickson is the guy to lead this team post-Landry. In fact, I'm quite surprised that Hendrickson seemed to have vaulted ahead of Goska on the depth chart the last two games. I think North Dakota would have been better off with Goska at the helm, but Hendrickson took the majority of snaps to end the season.

While most have been quick to throw Mussman under the bus compared to me, the situation of QB succession is really the only point that raises my concerns about the head coach. I saw nothing in the last three games that would lead me to believe that either Goska or Hendrickson is the guy to lead this team post-Landry. In fact, I'm quite surprised that Hendrickson seemed to have vaulted ahead of Goska on the depth chart the last two games. I think North Dakota would have been better off with Goska at the helm, but Hendrickson took the majority of snaps to end the season.

Hendrickson was, I believe at one point during the Griz game, 2 for 15 for 18 yards! Those are ND 9-man FB stats! :( After watching that game, for Muss to continue to play him was jaw-dropping!

I have a couple of friends, both hard core, long time Bison football fans who spent the last 2 regular seasons telling me why Craig Bohl should be fired......over and over. Now they seem to think pretty highly of him. I think what has been a big plus for 'SU is the continuity of staff and the long time strength of it's D2 program. The move into FCS prominence has been a fairly methodical, ongoing process. But, I think it was a result of a good football school patiently standing by a good football man and letting him continue to build the program through the transition years and beyond. The same thing will pay similar benefits for the Sioux over the next few years. I see the Sioux sticking with Mussman and building through recruiting and conference affiliation, into as strong an FCS program as we were a dominant D2 program. I'm willing to believe it will happen under Mussman, just like what we're seeing in Fargo right now.

• Upvote 2

I have a couple of friends, both hard core, long time Bison football fans who spent the last 2 regular seasons telling me why Craig Bohl should be fired......over and over. Now they seem to think pretty highly of him. I think what has been a big plus for 'SU is the continuity of staff and the long time strength of it's D2 program. The move into FCS prominence has been a fairly methodical, ongoing process. But, I think it was a result of a good football school patiently standing by a good football man and letting him continue to build the program through the transition years and beyond. The same thing will pay similar benefits for the Sioux over the next few years. I see the Sioux sticking with Mussman and building through recruiting and conference affiliation, into as strong an FCS program as we were a dominant D2 program. I'm willing to believe it will happen under Mussman, just like what we're seeing in Fargo right now.

Continuity of staff? They have lost many key assistants. One one the more prominent reasons I have read regarding ndsu's lackluster performance in the mvfc post transition is the program's inability to keep key assistants from moving to FBS. Vigen has been the mainstay and he has been a small step above Brewster over at bville. What continuity are you referring to?

How quickly winning makes them forget Best Buy - which was going on under Bohl's nose almost all last season. Bohl is without a doubt a very good tactical coach. He's also had tremendous assistants that soon move on to greener pastures. But Bohl is just a walking time bomb with regard to personal judgement issues. Him taking on the safe driving spokesperson for the Fargo police just goes to show how his ego trumps personal judgement. He caused major national embarassment to Fargo and NDSU just two weeks ago - now it's all forgotten.

There was a story somewhere that the defensive coordinator was actually the coach who suggested the change to NDSU's offensive strategy against Mont St - based on what Robert Morris did to NDSU's defense. That's rather indicative that the NDSU's defensive coaches are what's driving that ship.

UND's problem isn't continuity - it's keeping assistant coaches that have to learn on the job just to become passable FCS assistant coaches.