SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I bet this was just a bad timing issue. Donovan most likely wanted to come in next year, but there wouldn't be room. This is a loss, yes, but for the '20 class, not the '19. I would have had Donovan as the #5 forward for next years class. My guess is they are going to figure out a way to bring in 4 (which is a necessity). We know 3 that have signed already and Blaisdell would / should come in before Donovan as the fourth. I don't see any way to get to that #5 forward spot.

Good luck to him, he's a great prospect. Out of potential '19 class, he might have had the most potential (given his size), but would have also been the biggest risk. Given that he wouldn't have been in next years class (which is already stacked) and there's still a year out from the '20 class (headlined by Halliday / Bowen), this isn't as big of a loss as it might be made out to be. 

This isn't a timing issue Donovan should be coming in next fall and if the coaching staff is trying to push him back then they are just stupid. He is one of the recruits I am most excited about he is gonna be a good one. I'd have him right up at the top of the list with Halliday and Rizzo as far as our forward prospects go. If you need to make room off the current roster then you figure out a way to make room. 

• Upvote 2

Donovan could very well be taken in the late first or early second round of next summer's draft. No one drafted that early wants to wait a year before college. The problem is we have five great forward recruits ready for next fall  and this is the first year in a long time we won't have one or two forwards leaving early. I sure hope we don't lose him, but as has already been discussed, Rizzo, Caulfield, Pinto and Blaisdell next fall plus Halliday and Bowen locked in for the following year makes for a very loaded group of highly skilled scoring forwards coming in soon.

22 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Whose all coming in next year? 

Randklev (?), Pinto, Caulfield, Blaisdell and Donovan for forwards?
To replace Jones, JJ, and Gardner plus any surprise/unexpected.  That creates a logjam unless something unexpected happens.

Doesn't Stratton start playing next Jan (2020) as well?

With a recruit with as much potential as Donovan, I don't think they'd want to push him back (if he doesn't want) and risk losing him.  Not many players have great success coming straight from HS...is he a player that would be able to do well as a true freshman?

I would think with some of the JR class that haven't produced, you'd want to bring in a talented player that could potentially produce.

4 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Randklev (?), Pinto, Caulfield, Blaisdell and Donovan for forwards?
To replace Jones, JJ, and Gardner plus any surprise/unexpected.

Doesn't Stratton start playing next Jan (2020) as well?

With a recruit with as much potential as Donovan, I don't think they'd want to push him back (if he doesn't want) and risk losing him.  Not many players have great success coming straight from HS...is he a player that would be able to do well as a true freshman?

I would think with some of the JR class that haven't produced, you'd want to bring in a talented player that could potentially produce.

Stratton will sit out all of next season and the first 10 games of the 2020-21 season before he can play. He can just practice. 

38 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Whose all coming in next year? 

Forwards that have signed NLI - Rizzo, Pinto, Caulfield. Blaisdell has to be next in line, I would be shocked if he didn’t come. That’d be my guess, those four. They lose 3 Seniors and they’ll make room for Blaisdell.

For those keeping score at home:

3 senior forwards leaving: Gardner, Jones, Janatuinen

3 incoming forwards to take their spots that have signed NLI's: Rizzo, Caulfield, Pinto

1 incoming forward who sits out next year and does not count against scholarship: Stratton

4 eligible forward recruits who are not ready yet: Randklev, Costello, Mancinelli, Schmaltz

2 highly skilled forward recruits who are ready but need a spot: Donovan, Blaisdell

? forwards who may leave early for the pros: Don't see any as of now.  First time in years this has been the case.

? forwards who may transfer out: Don't see any as of now.  Usually these are sophomores who leave to find more playing time elsewhere.

1 possible forward roster spot opens if Johnson moves back to defense for next year.

Please add any corrections or thoughts you may have.

I sure hope we keep Donovan.  He's gonna be a good one.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tradition said:

Donovan could very well be taken in the late first or early second round of next summer's draft. No one drafted that early wants to wait a year before college. The problem is we have five great forward recruits ready for next fall  and this is the first year in a long time we won't have one or two forwards leaving early. I sure hope we don't lose him, but as has already been discussed, Rizzo, Caulfield, Pinto and Blaisdell next fall plus Halliday and Bowen locked in for the following year makes for a very loaded group of highly skilled scoring forwards coming in soon.

Ironic.  The UND Jr. class that just keeps on killing this team.....whether it be on the ice or by clogging up the pipeline.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, brianvf said:

Every single forward they are going to bring in next year is talented, will be a true freshman, will be drafted and will have at least played one full year of juniors (Pinto 1, rest 2). They will either be close to a PPG (Caulfield) or over (rest). Others have laid it out, but the problem right now with trying to "make room" is the talent of each individual class. There's only 3 Seniors and realistically I don't see anyone leaving early. Usually when you have someone look for other opportunities (Non-NHL contract) it's after their Sophomore year. There's 3 Sophomores and we wouldn't want any of those three to look elsewhere. It's this bottleneck with the Junior class that's absolutely killing this team. This isn't hindsight is 20/20, Berry should have picked 2 names out of 5 person now Junior Forward hat and encouraged them to look elsewhere after last year. They need to and I'm sure they will make room for Blaisdell which will bring the freshman class to four. Unfortunately, that'll leave Donovan on the outside looking in. What's so frustrating is this was a problem last year that was so clear. He knew the horses he had in the pipeline. Yes, Pinto has definitely been a pleasant surprise, but if not him Mancinelli (or Randklev) looked like a guy after last year that should be coming in as well in '19. 

The good news, is the '19 class is going to be amazing. The bad news, obviously, is it could have been that much better if Berry would have made the tough decisions last year. It's ultimately going to hurt this team. I'm sure nobody knows this more than Berry, so hopefully it's not a mistake he makes in the future. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Goon said:

So, when he comes to campus he's going to be sophomore. 

I'm not sure how that'll work out, I was just commenting that the him sitting out 7 games isn't for next year (where he will be on campus, but can't play), but the year after.

Just now, tnt said:

Everyone talks like it is a one for one deal. You might be surprised how much each individual scholarship guy receives.  They could move around scholarship dollars if they need to. 

This is correct. I doubt many have 100% scholarship. My experience was there is quite a few 90% scholarships, very few completely full rides given.