SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Tourney Field

AZSIOUX

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the team doesn't see those clips because it would be easy to get overconfident. Even so, appearances can be deceiving.

My concerns are:

Despite those appearances, Yale can play. They were 2-0 against Cornell, and I respect Cornell. They also outshot Wisconsin 42-22, which is hard for me to fathom. I'm having trouble imagining anyone outshooting this Wisconsin team that badly.

They're rested. I should check facts before posting them, but didn't three of last year's final four teams have the weekend preceding the regionals off? It could be that they have tons of jump and by the third the Sioux are still feeling the six-game burst they just experienced. Afterward, it may seem obvious that their legs would be shot.

My biggest concern: The Sioux spend too much time in the box for hitting hard. A few years ago the Sioux tried to check BC into submission, went to the box and had to dial it back. Two nights later, Michigan State did the same thing, they let them play, and by the end BC showed the effects of being hit all game long. If the Sioux are allowed to check Yale as they checked St. Cloud for the first 30 minutes last Saturday, I think Yale will go quietly. If they get sent to the box and Yale pops in a few PP goals, not only will they be ahead on the scoreboard but the Sioux will be forced to pull back the physical play.

I know there are answers to all these concerns, but these are at the front of my mind.

I hope the team doesn't see those clips because it would be easy to get overconfident. Even so, appearances can be deceiving.

My concerns are:

Despite those appearances, Yale can play. They were 2-0 against Cornell, and I respect Cornell. They also outshot Wisconsin 42-22, which is hard for me to fathom. I'm having trouble imagining anyone outshooting this Wisconsin team that badly.

They're rested. I should check facts before posting them, but didn't three of last year's final four teams have the weekend preceding the regionals off? It could be that they have tons of jump and by the third the Sioux are still feeling the six-game burst they just experienced. Afterward, it may seem obvious that their legs would be shot.

My biggest concern: The Sioux spend too much time in the box for hitting hard. A few years ago the Sioux tried to check BC into submission, went to the box and had to dial it back. Two nights later, Michigan State did the same thing, they let them play, and by the end BC showed the effects of being hit all game long. If the Sioux are allowed to check Yale as they checked St. Cloud for the first 30 minutes last Saturday, I think Yale will go quietly. If they get sent to the box and Yale pops in a few PP goals, not only will they be ahead on the scoreboard but the Sioux will be forced to pull back the physical play.

I know there are answers to all these concerns, but these are at the front of my mind.

There's a lot to be said about everything you wrote. I think that whether they're that good or not we want to come out flying Saturday and keeping up the pressure so we have our "A" game polished for Sunday against Alaska.

There's a lot to be said about everything you wrote. I think that whether they're that good or not we want to come out flying Saturday and keeping up the pressure so we have our "A" game polished for Sunday against Alaska.

Beautiful!

We beat Alaska in my bracket. :D

They are an easy team to overlook, and BC may be just too focused on another shot at the Sioux. I think the Alaskans will come to play and give BC a game.

We beat Alaska in my bracket. :D

They are an easy team to overlook, and BC may be just too focused on another shot at the Sioux. I think the Alaskans will come to play and give BC a game.

I think BC has a tougher draw than we do and I know we won't overlook Yale.

Anderson and Brad Shpherd will be making the trip to Boston.

Any chance of them reffing the Sioux game(s)?

I would almost rather have a WCHA reffing crew in the NCAA's, just because the Sioux would know what to expect out of them with what they allow.

Anderson and Brad Shpherd will be making the trip to Boston.

Is that a fact? While I'm not a huge fan of the dynamic duo you mention, WCHA refs should help the Sioux.

Yale will watch film that shows how to be successful against the Sioux:

Pressure the dmen to force turnovers and prevent transition goals.

Play slow down hockey. Don't let the Sioux get pucks deep and work their systems using big strong forwards and timing passing plays.

Wait to counter punch. Let the Sioux be aggressive and make mistakes or draw penalties; then capitalize.

That is how you beat us.

We showed last weekend that we can beat a very good team who tries that style. UMD

We showed last weekend that we can skate with anyone including the then #1 team in the country and keep a lead.

DU

We showed last weekend that we have heart, are tough to rattle, and trust in our systems to allow us to come back from behind against a very good team. SCSU

We've beaten two solid teams, huge rivals as a matter of fact, with their season on the line. All games from this point on are with the season on the line.

As for Cornell, yeah those wins are respectable and Yale had a 21 goal scorer on the ice at the time.

As for Wisconsin, I think they were short three or maybe even four super stars at the time due to the WJC.

We need sound positional play in our own end. We need to capitalize on aggressive forechecking by reversing the puck and breaking out effectively with heavy forward support down low.

We need BE to be at his best. We need all of our players to elevate their game; Hexy did it when he came back, Frattin and Gregoire did it vs Minny and CC, Trupper did it last weekend, VV's been doing it lately, as has Malone. All these guys have stepped up for a game or two and lead the way. We need them ALL to do it this weekend.

All that said, our dcorps and their ability to play sound in our end, reverse the puck to initiate transition and step up into the play (Blood has been doing this) in order to win.

I'd like to see Knight get into the zone like he did the weekend he got hurt a couple months back.

He could really make his line do some damage if he got in his zone. He did start to make some nice plays in the game against Cloud.

Also in that WCHA championship game Bruneteau showed a little bit of zip and playmaking. I think we should give him some props..

That was funny! No way we lose to those clowns. The goal off the turnover was ridiculous! If the defenseman was weary our sweater he would have been drilled before he got past the face-off dot..... Yale?, c'mon...

YEAH!

Now we are starting to talk some Fighting Sioux hockey!

I know the team isn't supposed to overlook Yale; "they're a quality program, that worked hard all year to get here" yadda yadda yadda.

I've already read enough from the Yale fans over on USCHO: they're like "ooh, we're fast. Ooh, we scored lots of goals. Our d is really tough!"

But us fans can tell it like it is, can't we?

The Sioux are going to smoke the Elis!

They are going to limp back to New Haven like walking wounded.

This is going to look like Warroad vs. Worthington in MN high school hockey.

Who's kiddin' who here?

:D

That was funny! No way we lose to those clowns. The goal off the turnover was ridiculous! If the defenseman was weary our sweater he would have been drilled before he got past the face-off dot..... Yale?, c'mon...

I don't think those little Yale guys will get to the scoring areas very often. Also, if the Sioux keep playing a punishing brand of hockey, the smart kids won't want to hang onto the puck very long, causing bad passes and turnovers for GOOOOALS!

oh yeah, btw...STAY OUT OF THE BOX!

I wouldn't count on B.C. losing to Alaska. I like the way you're thinking though.

my picks

West

1.Wisconsin vs. 4. Vermont --------- sconnie gets by 4-2 semi easily

2. St. Cloud vs. 3. N. Michigan --------- prove everyone wrong and win a ncaa game then ill pick you, until then....

Midwest

1. Miami vs. 4. Ala.-Huntsville ------------- miami by a few goals

2. Bemidji St. 3. Michigan ------------ bemidji gets another ncaa win vs a hot michigan team. i do feel this could go the other way but stickin with bsu for game 1

East

1. Denver vs. 4. RIT ------------- denver layed an egg sunday after getting beat by the sioux saturday, they still roll 4-1

2. Cornell 3. New Hampshire -------------- cornell pulls out a tight one vs the wildcats

Northeast

1. Boston College vs. 4. Alaska ---------------- takes care of business vs fairbanks by a few goals

2. North Dakota 3. Yale ------------- sioux hit everything in blue and white and score a few pp goals, 5-2 win

North Dakota vs BC ----- the game everyone is anticipating with the history between the 2 teams, und flips the script with a 4-2 win (eng)

Miami vs Bemidji St ------- slides past bemidji again in the tourney. close game, ill go with my first overtime game here

Denver vs Cornell -------- denver gets tripped up in ovetime battle but will outshoot cornell 35-20

Wisconsin vs No. Michigan ----------- uw gets through no michigan 2-1 and gets back to the frozen 4

North Dakota vs Miami ----------- sioux and miami is a hell of a match-up or i should say rematch....sioux slide by 4-3 in overtime

Cornell vs Wisconsin ----------- stepan and those high powered offensive d men carry the badgers into saturday night in detroit

North Dakota vs Wisconsin -------------- sioux win 3-2 in a national title game :D hoist title #8