SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Tourney Field

AZSIOUX

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly like playing Yale instead of UNH or Michigan.

That said, Yale has the highest GPG in the nation I read somewhere, so they won't be slouches by any means.

Looking at their schedule/results on USCHO, it appears that they definitely pepper the opposing goalie. Most games they get twice as many shots as their opponent (including their game against UW during the WJC when UW was without three of their players).

Does anyone know if Backman is out for the season, or will he be back for UND?

It also looks like they rotate three different goalies and none of them have the best of stats.

They have lost 3 of their last 4 games. Take it to 'em Sioux!

I certainly like playing Yale instead of UNH or Michigan.

That said, Yale has the highest GPG in the nation I read somewhere, so they won't be slouches by any means.

Looking at their schedule/results on USCHO, it appears that they definitely pepper the opposing goalie. Most games they get twice as many shots as their opponent (including their game against UW during the WJC when UW was without three of their players).

I would much rather play yale over those other two as well, but I wouldn't have minded another shot at UNH. as far as yale goes and their shots per game, I don't think they have played a team like us that IF we come out like we have the last month with energy we will dominate play. We dominated the majority of each of the last two games against what many would consider far superior teams who weren't missing their best player.

All he needs is respectable goaltending and you guys will beat BC. Same as most of the other years.

I like UW, DU, UND and Miami. I true battle of the heavy weights. Similar to 2005.

UW and DU got good draws, Miami and UND will have to battle it out, but should prevail.

Don't join the bracket contest.

I want my picks to be winners. I don't want to share the spoils. :p

Michigan is playing extremely well. Which means they could steamroll BSU...if they didn't "Shoot their stuff" at the CCHA tourney.

Unfortunately, I picked Miami over Michigan to advance to the Frozen Four.

I think NMU and Michigan are the most likely to upset.

Yale was a better draw for us than Michigan basically because Michigan is playing so well and Yale has hit a bump in the road against...Brown or Union (can't remember off hand).

Can't overlook Yale, but I think we can beat them easier than if we would have faced off against Michigan.

:p Mr. Donald, you wont have to worry about the Sioux overlooking you, that wont happen

Can I take them lightly? At least I'd rather play these guys than Michigan.

They did play Wisconsin to a tie in a holiday tournament and they beat Cornell once, but other than that who did they play?

http://www.uscho.com/schedules/team.php/ya...u/gender,m.html

What ever happened to him anyway? I thought he was pretty good. :lol:

I think some Euro league gave him a shot for a couple seasons, but he couldn't hack it, so he left do to janitorial work at a shoddy rink out in Wyoming or something. Probably makes minimum wage.

:p

I hope Mr. Donald thinks that UND is looking past Yale.

They would then not know what hit them and we'll win easily.

Seriously, though, this is all media banter.

Yale hockey players wouldn't be worthy of the school if they thought UND wasn't going to play them hard and focus on them. They have to play like we are: Win and move on. Lose and season is over.

They hold two advantages (sorta) over us.

First, good or bad, they've played less games than we have, including the tourney time. The only thing I can think of that makes this an advantage is that, if they have any banged up players, they've had 2 weeks to heal. UND has only had 1. 7 days makes a difference.

Second, the expectations. I doubt the expectations behind Yale Hockey match ours. I wouldn't be surprised if, should, they beat UND and then lose to BC, the Yale fanbase would be happy. If we win to Yale and lose to BC, would our fanbase be equally happy? I can't go as far as to say that this is bonus hockey for Yale, I can say that they will be playing with far less expectations (and the stresses therein) on them than we will be. And that can make the game fun for them.

UND has two major advantages:

First, cohesion. They're a really tight, hard working team that can play together far better than most teams would like to admit. Minnesota has more top tier talent than we do. So does Michigan, Wisconsin, and DU. Michigan only started playing well as of late. UW and DU had pretty solid seasons up until the one and dones and I still feel like UW is a super solid team (with a D that can cover up for somewhat questionable goaltending). However, facing adversity is something UND has done to the max and has overcome with only a slight burp in January/February. This team has been described as the hardest working team in recent memory. That counts for something.

Second, balance. Adversity has caused many who would normally not be asked to step up, to step up. Andrew MacWilliam may have been good from the onset, but he's been lights out. LaPoint has just come back from an awful injury and he came back with some issues still (speed mainly) but has stepped up as well. Corbin Knight has played REALLY well. Danny Kristo... I'm not going to say anything. If you can't figure out why, you've not seen him play. And who can not forget Davidson. True, he's a walk on, but switching from Forward to D midseason? WOW, that's a tough transition. We may not have the star power, but we have the fire power.

Yale is beatable if we play our game. We won't be looking past them. We can't afford to. They're not going to roll over.