SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Tourney Field

AZSIOUX

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched the video highlights against Brown. There is no way the Sioux give them that much room in our D zone.

No doubt. Those Brown Dmen were just standing still in the zone. Although Yale may be a good team I think the Sioux will have no problem with them.

The last month and a half have been a big turn around for the sioux and I have a really good feeling this team could get it done this year. I know there are other good teams but UND has as good a chance as anybody. I have no problems with trying to get to the Frozen Four by going through BC. It is our time for some revenge on BC. Again, not looking past Yale but I am ok with having to play BC if need be.

I hope the team doesn't see those clips because it would be easy to get overconfident. Even so, appearances can be deceiving.

My concerns are:

Despite those appearances, Yale can play. They were 2-0 against Cornell, and I respect Cornell. They also outshot Wisconsin 42-22, which is hard for me to fathom. I'm having trouble imagining anyone outshooting this Wisconsin team that badly.

They're rested. I should check facts before posting them, but didn't three of last year's final four teams have the weekend preceding the regionals off? It could be that they have tons of jump and by the third the Sioux are still feeling the six-game burst they just experienced. Afterward, it may seem obvious that their legs would be shot.

My biggest concern: The Sioux spend too much time in the box for hitting hard. A few years ago the Sioux tried to check BC into submission, went to the box and had to dial it back. Two nights later, Michigan State did the same thing, they let them play, and by the end BC showed the effects of being hit all game long. If the Sioux are allowed to check Yale as they checked St. Cloud for the first 30 minutes last Saturday, I think Yale will go quietly. If they get sent to the box and Yale pops in a few PP goals, not only will they be ahead on the scoreboard but the Sioux will be forced to pull back the physical play.

I know there are answers to all these concerns, but these are at the front of my mind.

I like what you type.

I think the key really is to play our game within the allowances of the officiating crew. That means the first period is going to be important. CCHA officials aren't perfect, but imo, they are better than the WCHA officials. They both enjoy giving the benefit of the doubt to CCHA teams over non conference rivals, but that's the same for WCHA officials. CCHA officials call the rulebook better, imo. They also have called diving penalties. WCHA officials have not. The question is: Will they be the same as WCHA officials with regards to hard hitting? WCHA officials have been known to call roughing/cross checking on a good clean hard hit. WCHA officials are known for situational officiating. It will be interesting to see the stance of these officials.

It's too bad Yale is an ECACHL team because the officiating tandem I watched in the Union/Cornell (I think) game...Realto might've been on of their names? Feola? Something like that. ECACHL people on USCHO don't seem to like him, but Feola and his counterpart have olympic hockey officiating experience.

In any case....

I think UND will be rested enough for fatigue not to be a factor against Yale. Should Yale play them hard and all and UND ends up winning.... I'd not like another 3rd period repeat of the SCSU game with BC on the ice.

The three keys to Yale:

1. Solid Fundamental hockey. Don't try to do too much, keep it simple, and get to the net.

2. Control the speed of the game

3. Special teams. Yeah, or PK is pretty special, but let's not have to use it that much, ok?

Yale is a beatable team. I watched that movie of their scoring. The media's take on Yale's "big fanbase" might be a bit overstated. They couldn't fill the stands for that playoff game shown. By the way, the player with the mohawk.... nice. :D

All of their goals came off of mistakes by Brown on that clip anyways. I don't think our DCorps plays that soft.

Conspiracy Theory: UND fans are known for it so here's mine: The NCAA wants to see UND face BC so expect UND to get some home cookin' with the refs, even if the refs are CCHA or AHA or HEA or CHA. I'd expect the same in the Alaska/BC matchup.

Love this!! :D

Re: Tsiouxnami commenting favorably on the following:

Yale University:

Founded: 1701

Losted: 2010

Thanks. That's an update to one of the signs I made in 2003 when Yale visited the Ralph. Boy, that seems like a long time ago.

There is absolutely no chance Alaska beats Boston College. ZERO PERCENT. I doubt Alaska can put up a goal while almost certainly giving up 6 or 7 to BC at the same time. Prediction after all that? BC 6, Alaska 0.

I am thinking 8-1 game. :D

Re: Tsiouxnami commenting favorably on the following:

Yale University:

Founded: 1701

Losted: 2010

Thanks. That's an update to one of the signs I made in 2003 when Yale visited the Ralph. Boy, that seems like a long time ago.

I remember holding the sign and making it onto the jumbotron because of it!

From Brad:

We had our last Grand Forks media day session prior to the start of the NCAA tournament.

There, UND coach Dave Hakstol said that it's too early to tell whether Joe Gleason will be available for the Yale game on Saturday. He said that Gleason has improved from last week, but the team will take things day by day.

Hakstol also said that time is running short, but the team isn't ready to rule out a return for captain Chay Genoway just yet. It's not looking great, but UND hopes there are still a couple of weeks left in the year.

Speaking of Genoway, look for a story on him in tomorrow's Herald. There are some pretty interesting notes in the story. I think it also explains some of this late-season charge. I talked to his teammates and coach Hakstol about the situation.

I also talked to Brent Davidson about his move back to defense and he was very interesting. He said he talked to four people right before he played his first game back there against Michigan Tech. Who gave him the best advice? Brad Miller. There should be more on Davidson on Friday or Saturday.

The other story this week is about Evan Trupp, who continues to amaze with his dazzling moves. Everyone says Trupp tries these moves during Can-Am Games.

Photographer Eric Hylden and I are scheduled to be in Worcester in time for practice and the press conferences on Friday. There's not a whole lot more to ask the guys, but we'll be there to report the happenings, barring any travel problems.

Should be an interesting article on Genoway.

I wonder if they would really consider bringing him back for just the F4 should the Sioux make it. You would think he would be out of game shape pretty well at that point. Not to mention he would be throwing away almost his entire SR season for 1 or 2 games.

media day - coach hakstol

media day - sioux players

yale daily news

3rd line the key for yale - ydn

yale notes

SERIES

The Fighting Sioux have taken all five meetings with Yale dating to the first game in 1960. Here are the five contests:

Date Score Site

Jan. 1, 1960 15-0 at RPI Tournament

Nov. 30, 1986 6-4 at Grand Forks

Nov. 2, 2002 7-3 at New Haven

Oct. 31, 2003 8-4 at Grand Forks

Nov. 1, 2003 10-0 at Grand Forks

COMMON FOE

UND and Yale share two opponents from 2009-10, Cornell and Wisconsin. The Sioux split a weekend series at Lynah Rink in late January, while the Blue took both meetings with the Big Red. Yale tied Wisconsin in the finale of the Badger Showdown in early January. In early December, the Sioux tied and lost to the Badgers at Grand Forks.

STATS LINE

Here are the game averages for the Bulldogs and Fighting Sioux and where they rank in Division I.

YALE UND

Offense 4.09 (1st) 3.29 (13th)

Defense 2.94 (32nd) 2.10 (4th)

PIM 12.9 (38th) 18.4 (5th)

Power Play 23.5 (2nd) 21.0 (9th)

Penalty Kill 81.8 (29th) 86.9 (6th)

Conspiracy Theory: UND fans are known for it so here's mine: The NCAA wants to see UND face BC so expect UND to get some home cookin' with the refs, even if the refs are CCHA or AHA or HEA or CHA. I'd expect the same in the Alaska/BC matchup.

A conspiracy theory FOR us?:D :D I don't even know how to process that!

Awesome write-up.

One concern I have is that, now that Chay has been out for so long, and if he is able to come back, would it hinder the team if he came back with only a couple games (assuming he's not playing this weekend, which is a pretty safe assumption)? I know that sounds blasphymous, but I think the team has gelled so well and rallied around him, I wonder if he came back if some of that chemistry would be lossed on the ice (I know it wouldn't hurt it off at all).

Just some questions to ponder...not saying it would have any ill-effects for him to come back.

Awesome write-up.

One concern I have is that, now that Chay has been out for so long, and if he is able to come back, would it hinder the team if he came back with only a couple games (assuming he's not playing this weekend, which is a pretty safe assumption)? I know that sounds blasphymous, but I think the team has gelled so well and rallied around him, I wonder if he came back if some of that chemistry would be lossed on the ice (I know it wouldn't hurt it off at all).

Just some questions to ponder...not saying it would have any ill-effects for him to come back.

valid concern, no doubt. i think it would be a huge boost to the blueline offensively if he is fortunate enough to play again this season.

Awesome write-up.

That crossed my mind too, as much as I'd like to see him out there, tinkering with a team that's gone 12-1 down the stretch and is arguably the hottest going into the tournament is a dangerous thing, especially when that involves adding someone who has been out for months. It would surely provide an emotional lift, but really they've been rallying around him more and more so maybe it wouldn't be as much as I think.

Tough call with no easy answer.

I see on INCH's wish draft list they say that Sioux fans' biggest concern is goaltending. I would think it would be healthy defensemen. I think the worry of any team is that their goalie will have a bad game at the wrong time, which has happened to the Sioux in the NCAA tournament a few times in their last game. That said, I don't think the goaltending was a worry beforehand, bad games just happen to even the best goaltenders, and in a one and done tourney, it's game over. I don't know of a goalie that isn't susceptible to a bad game every now and then, as indicated by Marc Cheverie last weekend against Wisconsin. Oh, and by the way, they have the Sioux logo in the place where Bemidji States logo is supposed to be. They must like the logo too.

Anyone hearing any rumblings about a suspension coming down from the league office? I just had someone comment that they are hearing something along those lines. I don't recall any Sioux incident at all, except for maybe the hit on Lasch but that wasn't even a penalty at the time.

i'm going to go out on a pretty sturdy limb here and say genoway will not play the rest of the season. i also think it is in his best interest to, as someone quoted steve miller earlier, take the money and run. if he has offers available, which i am sure he has a few, then he should pick the best situation for him and go, and i would guarantee that hak and the coaching staff have had this very candid talk with him also. don't mistake my reasoning for where my heart lies, i like all sioux fans would love to see chay come back and wear the "c" one more year, but an athlete has a finite number of productive years, and he is already a senior. i think chay is one of the best to put on the sioux sweater, he is a lot like duncan was, unassuming, a dynamo on the ice, and a great leader... but there seems to be alot of optimism he will come back next season. i'll say this, i would consider it an early christmas gift for the sioux if chay comes back, but don't be dissapointed or surprised if he signs a pro contract after the season. whatever happens, chay is one of the greats and wish him the best. and keep pushing your teammates, go sioux, skate for 8 starts saturday!!!