SiouxSports.com Forum

"Chapman's Mansion Way Over the Top"

star2city

Where does "Whiskey Joe" come from?

There's a colloquial usage of the disparaging phrase on this board, but I've never read anything about Chapman having any alcohol related problems. Maybe he does and I just didn't read those articles.

But if not, then the continued usage of it is very childish and discredits anyone who is pretending to be an unbiased, factual source of information about Chapman's unethical actions.

"Whiskey Joe - drunk on his own power." And that pales in comparison to what 'SU supporters called Dr. Kupchella.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two wrongs make a right is grown up? :)

It's entirely different situation. You hold Chapman so high in status, it's basically idol worship.

Desecration of Chapman's name among bison fans is practically analagous to making a cartoon joke about Mohammed among Muslims. Both are revered as some sort of deity.

Roger Thomas and Kupchella never had cult status among Sioux fans.

Where does "Whiskey Joe" come from?

There's a colloquial usage of the disparaging phrase on this board, but I've never read anything about Chapman having any alcohol related problems. Maybe he does and I just didn't read those articles.

But if not, then the continued usage of it is very childish and discredits anyone who is pretending to be an unbiased, factual source of information about Chapman's unethical actions.

Can't remember who coined the phrase but it has nothing to do with booze. I have never heard he had an alcohol problem. I don't think Joe had any alcohol problems especially when it came time to pay as his $260,000 expense account was ample enough to cover most booze expenses. If I wanted to be disparaging I might comment on the size of his ears compared to the size of his ego or the brown polyester suit he often wore that reminded me of a turd. I won't do that because I don't wish to be childish. Especially, I don't want to lose credibility from someone who defended this clown. He was a disgrace to NDSU, the state and the Fargo community. (Actually, I do want to be childish but at my age it isn't becoming and my wife will make fun of me).

Was "Pistol Pete" Maravich really armed? ;)

Was "Shoeless Joe" Jackson really without any shoes? ???

And did Karl Malone stop by my house and drop off bills again today? :)

Finally, a Stanley Cup captain, Olympic gold medalist, is just a "Kid"? :lol:

Sometimes a tag that fits is given and sticks for whatever reasons. DamStrait summed it up for this case.

Heck, I've heard some refer to him as "Smokey Joe" but that was more about "smoke and mirrors" tactics, not sucking the butt end of a Marlboro (which I don't believe he smokes).

Bison fans made a living out of making fun of Glas, Roebuck, Thomas, Bunning and especially Kupchella over the last few years. The shoe is on the other foot right now. It's funny how it always seems to come around.

Was "Pistol Pete" Maravich really armed? :silly:

Was "Shoeless Joe" Jackson really without any shoes? :huh:

And did Karl Malone stop by my house and drop off bills again today? :silly:

Finally, a Stanley Cup captain, Olympic gold medalist, is just a "Kid"? :D

Sometimes a tag that fits is given and sticks for whatever reasons. DamStrait summed it up for this case.

Heck, I've heard some refer to him as "Smokey Joe" but that was more about "smoke and mirrors" tactics, not sucking the butt end of a Marlboro (which I don't believe he smokes).

:)

Classic!

I personally don't hold Chapman in that high of status anymore, but I assume 'you' refers to NDSU fans.

But it's not nearly like you say.

Even still....I repeat, two wrongs make a right?

Why can't UND fans take the high road? Show us the way?

Anymore? Hmmm.... By the sound of most of your posts, I'm pretty sure that you are still sporting a "Whiskey-Joe-in-a-Speedo" screen saver on your computer. That, along with the Bison BB flood promo video (and kleenex), must keep you very busy :silly:

Anymore? Hmmm.... By the sound of most of your posts, I'm pretty sure that you are still sporting a "Whiskey-Joe-in-a-Speedo" screen saver on your computer. That, along with the Bison BB flood promo video (and kleenex), must keep you very busy :silly:

Now I need to bleach my mental image database. Thanks.

Do I sense the coming of a new era? Minot State wellness center expansion trimmed

The panel approved raising the maximum to $10.9 million to allow construction of a basement for the project. The rest of the proposed additions were denied.

Bismarck Rep. Mark Dosch said Minot State should have its deferred building maintenance taken care of before the school does building expansions.

so is everyone seeing chapman for what he is now... or are there still those toeing the company line that the ends justified the means? i'm not anti-ndsu, i'm pro-nd, and i hate to say that it could be many years before ndsu is back on track.

What about if I have no comment?

Like I said very early on, the Chapmans were very nice to the Jewish Community in Fargo. Legit or not, we've struggled for years.

I don't like what he did to NDSU and perhaps, by extension, the state of ND, but I'm not ready to go any further than that.

What about if I have no comment?

Like I said very early on, the Chapmans were very nice to the Jewish Community in Fargo. Legit or not, we've struggled for years.

I don't like what he did to NDSU and perhaps, by extension, the state of ND, but I'm not ready to go any further than that.

you are entitled to your opinion, or lack there of, i am just honestly interested in how this will transpire. i have NO info on this topic other than what i get here and in the news. if he did some good while he was here, like you stated helping the jewish community, then i am glad that he hopefully left a positive impact somewhere, because i don't think after this all shakes out, that even the most avid ndsu supporter will be looking at joe's years with much positive light. the real question is how far will his discresions trickle down, and how long until ndsu can get back on track financially?