SiouxSports.com Forum

"Chapman's Mansion Way Over the Top"

star2city

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marcil's fault.

Try again. Nowhere did I say that Marcil was responsible for the bad decisions made by NDSU officials. In fact, I specifically said that NDSU officials were responsible for their own actions. What I actually said was that I wish Marcil had never donated the money(or donated it for some other purpose) so that the whole string of events(and bad NDSU decisions) wouldn't have happened(at least for the president's house).

Nice try to pigeonhole the debate, though. Why don't you actually address my points next time.

Try again. Nowhere did I say that Marcil was responsible for the bad decisions made by NDSU officials. In fact, I specifically said that NDSU officials were responsible for their own actions. What I actually said was that I wish Marcil had never donated the money(or donated it for some other purpose) so that the whole string of events(and bad NDSU decisions) wouldn't have happened(at least for the president's house).

Nice try to pigeonhole the debate, though. Why don't you actually address my points next time.

Not enough time. I thought the Herald piece did a nice job of describing what happened at UND.

How many people do you need to hear "on the record", some being former NDSU employees, to concince you?? Good grief, short of call Joe a thief, from what I've seen and read ther is plenty of proof.

Pick up the Fargo Forum or turn the radio on 790 am in Fargo and all you'll hear is people going on the record to give "proof" that Joe was corrupt.

I guess what you understand to be commonly true is different based on your bias?

Feel free to list the actual evidence you have to back up your hypothesis. Until then, it's slander.

And that's why this country is in the mess it is. The Joe Chapman/NDSU fiasco is a microcosm of the entitlement and unaccountability attitude that has gripped this country.

Throw in all the PC BS and... :silly::D:(

Right...and thus why regulation/oversight is a necessary evil. :)

I guess what you understand to be commonly true is different based on your bias?

Feel free to list the actual evidence you have to back up your hypothesis. Until then, it's slander.

Bisonette..... YOU are asking people to supply proof and evidence? :D:):(:lol:

If I had a dime for every time you were asked to provide proof/evidence for the crap you spew on here and failed to do so, I could buy you a few patch kits for your Chapped Joe doll. Then perhaps you could start hitting that again, instead of endlessly pounding on your sticky keyboard in futility here. :silly:

Then again, reading this message board you'd think Chapman strangled someone using $100 bills from the public coffers, tied together to form a rope!

I chalk it up to the message board effect: a bunch of people with an agenda, using the anonymity of the internet to vent their frustrations and blow something way out of proportion.

MPLSBISON must of forgot to take those blinders off. He is definitely the politician type. He just can't look at anything honestly. In his eyes there are always 2 sides to an issue. His side and the other side. And the other side is ALWAYS wrong. The facts could be stamped on the middle of his forhead and he still couldn't see the truth.

Mpls does have one tiny little point buried amongst the garbage. The fact that multiple universities in the state were either skirting SBoHE policy, or flat out ignoring it, does suggest that some of the policies might have flaws. Maybe the $250,000 limit for SBoHE approval should be raised, as well as the $350,000 limit for legislative approval. I don't know how often those numbers are updated, so it might be that the inflation of building costs has greatly outpaced the limits. Maybe projects small enough to be handled by university staff shouldn't be required to be bidded out even if they technically exceed the SBoHE limit. Maybe the limits should be tiered so that a project requiring approval at VCSU would not necessarily require approval at NDSU or UND because the maintenance departments at the latter are large enough to handle the project internally.

I believe that the limit for SBoHE approval was raised to $250,000 in the last couple of years. I saw a quote earlier in the week that said the UND office project totaled $233,000. It was done when the limit before approval was $100,000. The limit was changed between the time of the UND project and the NDSU office project. From the Grand Forks Herald:

MPLSBISON must of forgot to take those blinders off. He is definitely the politician type. He just can't look at anything honestly. In his eyes there are always 2 sides to an issue. His side and the other side. And the other side is ALWAYS wrong. The facts could be stamped on the middle of his forhead and he still couldn't see the truth.

That's the same way I feel about everyone in this thread trying to get Chapman's blood!

You won't admit that there is any possibility for a gray area, it's only black and white.

North Dakota University System chancellor directed to look further into NDSU, UND spending practices

Uh-oh, someone is going to get their knuckles rapped with a ruler.....

The state Board of Higher Education has directed Chancellor Bill Goetz to dig deeper into spending practices at North Dakota State University and the University of North Dakota after a recent audit revealed noncompliance with state law and board policy.

Board members, at a meeting today in Bismarck, directed Goetz to work with the board's Budget, Audit and Finance Committee to hire a consultant or investigator to examine the issue further.

From the report, you can see the amount of overspend that occurred at both schools with NDSU being the worse of the two...What becomes of the regular students tuition and fees at NDSU when the capital project money has been spent outside of the budget and now they need to cover their current year budget? Its easy to see how Chapman was able to increase numbers when they gave so many of the tuition waivers and now with the budget crunch how do they continue with this behavior without negatively impacting the rest of the university...

BobIwabuchiFan

About that scathing audit of the university system

As always, Tu-Uyen does a nice job. Yes, UND didn't follow procedures, although it isn't really known why. The procedures that weren't followed were "procedures". They merely had to ask permission, at least on the office renovation and the EERC expansion, and they would have been in compliance. Goetz knows that the SBoHE doesn't look good in this matter either.

Throughout our interview there was never really an admission of fault at the system office level despite the fairly tough criticism that's in the audit. It puzzled me until I realized his indignation was really directed at NDSU. What auditors had to say about that university probably really embarrassed the system office and, in fact, it was NDSU's president's house that triggered the audit in the first place. (By the way, auditors gave the Forum, or rather the "media," kudos for uncovering the overspending.)

I was thinking of UND's situation the whole time and it seemed the indignation was a little overblown for what the university is accused of.

One reason I focused on the missing monitoring function criticized by the audit was the accusation I've heard over the years that the state board, and, by extension, the system office, has been kind of asleep at the wheel. I couldn't say if that's fair or not, though the audit seems to imply that.

Talk about a "race to the bottom", everyone and their brother falling over themselves to blame Chapman for the world's problems.

It's never this black and white...unless it's a "news" (entertainment) media story.

None of us will ever really know the full story unless you were right there with Chapman 24/7. Again, it's never this black and white. That's something that proves out in life, time and time again to those who are actually in the know.

Talk about a "race to the bottom", everyone and their brother falling over themselves to blame Chapman for the world's problems.

It's never this black and white...unless it's a "news" (entertainment) media story.

None of us will ever really know the full story unless you were right there with Chapman 24/7. Again, it's never this black and white. That's something that proves out in life, time and time again to those who are actually in the know.

The fatal flaw here is that the most damaging quotes are coming from those that are "actually in the know." Something else I think is important to remember here, Chapman isn't dead. He resigned. He can choose to bring clarity to those "never this black and white" details at any time.

From the story by Amy Dalrymple: "Attempts to reach Chapman since the audit was released have been unsuccessful."

There's your clarity.

When the final tale is told Chapman might very well go down as the worst president NDSU has ever had. This whole story sure took a complete 180. It is interesting how no one can find this man now. They should give this story to the Dateline television show. I bet they can track him down.

Good god, are you just plain ass stupid? Chapman was so far out of bounds with this that he probably could be charged in criminal court. Former employees could file hostile work environment lawsuits. You truely are the stupidest poster on any message board I have ever read. Give up trying to defend that which is not defensible. The entire higher ed. system in North Dakota will benefit from a little more daylight and honesty. It is after all owned by the people of North Dakota.