SiouxSports.com Forum

"Chapman's Mansion Way Over the Top"

star2city

To the "Cleopatras", the end justifies the means. The goal was to have a bigger enrollment than UND at any cost (The end). Budgets be damned (The means).

NDSU is now paying for the means.

Oh now you play dumb after you were the one who brought the red herring up in the first place. :D

Your claim was that Chapman put NDSU into a deficit in order to get NDSU's enrollment above UND's enrollment.

I exactly refuted that by noting that a regional, undergrad school has enrollment that blows away both NDSU and UND.

Enrollment is a non-issue.

Nice try though.

How do you get so off track sometimes in your thoughts? The goal of NDSU, IMO, was to have the largest enrollment in North Dakota.

They accomplished that for now, but at what costs?

Comparing SCSU's enrollment to either school is dumb. They are not competing for money from the State of North Dakota.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you get so off track sometimes in your thoughts? The goal of NDSU, IMO, was to have the largest enrollment in North Dakota.

They accomplished that for now, but at what costs?

Comparing SCSU's enrollment to either school is dumb. They are not competing for money from the State of North Dakota.

"Oh s**t! He got us logically!

Quick! Change the scope of the argument to be just in North Dakota!"

BS....you know exactly what I'm saying and that I'm correct.

Enrollment is a red herring...at best.

if no tax dollars were used to build the home, why is this anybody's business? i'm not asking the rhetorically, i really want to know because likely there is a reason for some to be pissed about this, but i'm just not understanding what that reason might be.

the only thing i can think of is that all state schools are partially funded through tax dollars. therefore, if a school can afford a $1.8 million dollar home for their president, then maybe they can cover a larger portion of the costs that the taxpayers help cover for various university related costs.

aside from that stance, i don't see how this should matter to anybody. i mean, are we going to get bent out of shape if another institution, such as a company with it's corporate office in north dakota or a professional sports team based in north dakota, were to use it's own private funds to purchase a lavish home for it's president?

after all, a university is a business and if they want to use their capital to build a home for the university president rather than investing in those areas that would make the university more appealing to potential students, well...i think that's an un-wise decision, but that's their choice to make.

Put your money where your mouth is.

I want to know of all the things Chapman did that you claim are so bad.

Geez...do you ever just punch yourself in the face just to start a fight? How many times in this thread have people pointed out factual "things" and the same "things" over and over. Pull your head out of your...

if no tax dollars were used to build the home, why is this anybody's business? i'm not asking the rhetorically, i really want to know because likely there is a reason for some to be pissed about this, but i'm just not understanding what that reason might be.

the only thing i can think of is that all state schools are partially funded through tax dollars. therefore, if a school can afford a $1.8 million dollar home for their president, then maybe they can cover a larger portion of the costs that the taxpayers help cover for various university related costs.

aside from that stance, i don't see how this should matter to anybody. i mean, are we going to get bent out of shape if another institution, such as a company with it's corporate office in north dakota or a professional sports team based in north dakota, were to use it's own private funds to purchase a lavish home for it's president?

after all, a university is a business and if they want to use their capital to build a home for the university president rather than investing in those areas that would make the university more appealing to potential students, well...i think that's an un-wise decision, but that's their choice to make.

That's a legitimate question.

First off: if a corporate official purposely grossly overspends on a project without notifying his bosses (in this case, the NDUS system) they are almost always fired.

Second, prior to authorizing buildings, the NDUS wants to know the cost and scope, as it will be perpetually responsible for heating, cooling, upkeep etc. If someone had donated $10 million to build an NDSU president's home, that donation would still take huge amounts of future public expenses, and likely would have been rejected for that purpose.

Third, Chapman was receiving deferred compensation payments early - through the NDSU alumni board and in direct violation of NDUS policy- without paying the appropriate tax. The IRS takes interest in such matters.

Finally, there are budget mismanagment issues internally - unrelated to the house or Chapman's boondoggle trip - within NDSU that can directly affect taxpayers.

Nice try though.

this line is one of those used in a debate to make a third party reader side with the individual using the line. it's unlikely a conscious action, but lines such as this plant the idea in a thrid party reader's head that the individual the line is directed towards is either ignorant, stretching for an argument that doesn't exist, or detracting from the topic of the debate.

other such lines i've seen include:

you're still not getting it

you're not too bright, are you?

i'm obviously dealing with a slow witted person here

this is over your head

oh for the love of God!...i give up

when it comes to debate, these lines offer nothing to the debate, but merely attempt to sway outsiders looking in on the debate by subtly demeening the other party or parties with whom one is engaged in debate.

such lines are tyically used by somebody who is frustrated with the direction the debate is going and who is attempting to make themselves feel better by seemingly discrediting those who are offering arguments contrary to their own.

this strategy is generally ineffective as it normally causes the other party or parties involved to either assume the individual using the line is encouragable or simply get frustrated themselves, while offering no real argument to defend one's point of view.

trust me, i'm a master debater

That's a legitimate question.

First off: if a corporate official purposely overspends on a project without notifying his bosses (in this case, the NDUS system) they are normally fired.

Second, prior to authorizing buildings, the NDUS wants to know the cost and scope, as it will be perpetually responsible for heating, cooling, upkeep etc. If someone had donated $10 million to build an NDSU president's home, that donation would still take huge amounts of future public expenses, and likely would have been rejected for that purpose.

Finally, there are budget mismanagment issues internally within NDSU that directly affect taxpayers.

look at the big brain on star2city!

thanks, man; that makes sense.

Still classy - I see you post a lot at 1:40am or so it must be the time you get home from sweeping up at McDonalds everynight.

AND you're posting at 7:18AM?? BETTER Get that FARGO FOOL'UM out faster boy or your newspaper subscriber OVERLORDS are going to complain about you...AGAIN!!

(The POINT is wtf does it matter what TIME you post? NO- I don't have a normal 9-5 job - does that make me a bad person? Try sticking to the point and stop trying to weasel out on a technicality you !@#!$! MORON*!!!)

* - SORRY - working late makes me cranky BUT....UNDefensive!:-) Which is a good thing for this board but a bad thing for Dnozzles' like you Dan!

SEEYA!

• 2 weeks later...
AND you're posting at 7:18AM?? BETTER Get that FARGO FOOL'UM out faster boy or your newspaper subscriber OVERLORDS are going to complain about you...AGAIN!!

(The POINT is wtf does it matter what TIME you post? NO- I don't have a normal 9-5 job - does that make me a bad person? Try sticking to the point and stop trying to weasel out on a technicality you !@#!$! MORON*!!!)

* - SORRY - working late makes me cranky BUT....UNDefensive!:-) Which is a good thing for this board but a bad thing for Dnozzles' like you Dan!

SEEYA!

NOTE TO BisonDan aka "The Time/Posting Critic!" -- Could you please post the times and channels where we can catch our favorite local Fargo/and/or/Future NDSU athletes in the Olympics??? NOTHING coming back....

(losers)

Pretty telling when the diety being worshipped is a thief. Oh wait, I forget, misappropriating millions of dollars in funds in not considered stealing in NDSU-speak.

You have to be kidding me right? Good god if what the City of Grand Forks and UND did to get the Alerus center built only to get caught later isn't stealing from the taxpayer please tell me what is? Not to mention the continual yearly siphoning of tax payer dollars to fund that travesty is a joke. Don't tell me it's not UND"s building either it was built with the express purpose of getting UND football indoors and trying to keep up with NDSU and the Fargodome. You know the old saying about people in glass houses, you should go back and check it out and live by that creed.

You have to be kidding me right? Good god if what the City of Grand Forks and UND did to get the Alerus center built only to get caught later isn't stealing from the taxpayer please tell me what is? Not to mention the continual yearly siphoning of tax payer dollars to fund that travesty is a joke. Don't tell me it's not UND"s building either it was built with the express purpose of getting UND football indoors and trying to keep up with NDSU and the Fargodome. You know the old saying about people in glass houses, you should go back and check it out and live by that creed.

AD HOMINEN! But, I'll bite. Please post the proof you have that UND owns the Alerus and is funded by UND money.

The proof of Slick Joe stealing misappropriating abusing living beyond his means and taking NDSU money that should have been used for the school/students and not for his and his families self interests to do it is well documented.

Well...we can't argue with this logic!!!!! I'm all GF and always have been compared to Fargo but this is one subject we can't touch. The AL is a worse money pit than the NDSU house.

Well...we can't argue with this logic!!!!! I'm all GF and always have been compared to Fargo but this is one subject we can't touch. The AL is a worse money pit than the NDSU house.

No it's not but there's an appropriate thread about that elsewhere on this board - go there is you want to bitch about that. Let's keep this thread about the house THE MUMMY built!

Williston Herald: Moving forward NDSU interim president visits Williston to address university issues and concerns

"To me, my perception is we've sustained some serious issues of credibility," said Hanson. He said currently the university is in the process of clearing out the areas damaged by the collapse of the northwest corner of Minard Hall's roof in December. Hanson also said they are having a series of audits on various projects, including the construction of the former president's home.

He said this will be released in March or early April.

"Which is not going to be positive. I think it's incumbent to take the criticism and move forward," said Hanson.

So far, I like this interim President. It appears that he's facing the issues head on and not sweeping anything under the carpet.

On a side note, does anyone know why they gave him a kiddie chair to sit on? :D

So far, I like this interim President. It appears that he's facing the issues head on and not sweeping anything under the carpet.

On a side note, does anyone know why they gave him a kiddie chair to sit on? :lol:

It's SOOOOO High School! They want to make him look "FAT" (so the skinny girls at ndsu likes Lakes can make fun of him!)

ON A SIMILIAR NOTE: all I know is Chapmans THRONE from his mansion (which he called the BEST SEAT in North Dakota :D ) is currently for sale on Ebay...(I guess Gail needed the money to supplement loss of her loss of "income" :angry::) )

bite_me_toilet_300-735161.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure Adams (NDSU's top finance offical) had planned on resigning this summer also. :sad:

North Dakota State University President Richard Hanson says the university's top finance official has resigned.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/270902/

On a surely totally unrelated subject, I wonder how the audits after the house issues and such are going ...