SiouxSports.com Forum

"Chapman's Mansion Way Over the Top"

star2city

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fatal flaw here is that the most damaging quotes are coming from those that are "actually in the know." Something else I think is important to remember here, Chapman isn't dead. He resigned. He can choose to bring clarity to those "never this black and white" details at any time.

I'll give you that. It'd be nice to hear his side of the story.

Daylight? Yes.

But I fear this will put all the campuses in the NDUS under an old-school "bare bulb interogation" every time they attempt any construction.

Thanks for the gift that'll keep on giving Joe. :silly:

You obviously wouldn't care if NDSU alone burned for this, right? :D

What's good for NDSU is good for UND. Same system, same oversight.

When the final tale is told Chapman might very well go down as the worst president NDSU has ever had. This whole story sure took a complete 180. It is interesting how no one can find this man now. They should give this story to the Dateline television show. I bet they can track him down.

Chapman's too busy building his retirement house in Colorado to comment. :silly:

There's much more to come, if the SBoHE ever releases NDSU's magical operations budget. So NDSU fans better hang on tight: they haven't seen anything yet.

The legislature will surely recall NDSU's purposeful disgressions and let them wallow in their own dung for a biennial.

You obviously wouldn't care if NDSU alone burned for this, right? :silly:

What's good for NDSU is good for UND. Same system, same oversight.

But a return to the pre- "Roundtable on Higher Education" days is bad for everyone.

This fiasco gives the legislators that want to return there plenty of political ammunition.

When the final tale is told Chapman might very well go down as the worst president NDSU has ever had. This whole story sure took a complete 180. It is interesting how no one can find this man now. They should give this story to the Dateline television show. I bet they can track him down.

I heard a report late today that he was spotted by a Drone when he poked his head out of a cave in Afghanistan. The report went on to say that UND Aerospace students are assisting in the search for Chapman by supplying the UAV and a specially designed UND AgCam similar to this one - http://www.umac.org/sensors/agcam/eng.html - that was used in a recent Space Shuttle mission to the Internation Space Station.

In addition to the vision capabilities of the Shuttle AgCam, this particular AgCam is also equipped with extraordinary olfaction capabilities and can pick up Chapman's stench from many miles away. At first there was some disagreement whether or not it was really Chapman who stuck his head out because he now has a beard and is wearing a huge Turban that covers his ears. But when the olfaction sensor was activated there was no doubt they had the right guy. :silly:

I thought it was one of your gags after the first post. :D Nice job on your blog, also. :( I'm a light shade of blue after laughing hysterically at your book cover. :)

With Lakesie and the Ag College, you really don't need to make anything up. You've been in fine form on B-ville lately, also :silly:

After one post, Shawn-O called it "That train-wreck of a blog".

If you don't care to visit his blog, here's what you need to know:

Minnesota fishing opener is this weekend.

Twins are going to play the Yankees.

And as this blog title states: he rocks, and you suck.

• 2 weeks later...

Former federal prosecutor will investigate NDSU, UND projects

The investigation will look into four projects at NDSU and one project at UND.

- NDSU Old Main renovation, which includes the president’s office.

- NDSU president’s home.

- NDSU’s Richard H. Barry Hall.

- NDSU’s Bison Sports Arena.

- UND’s Twamley Hall renovation, which includes the president’s office.

The scope of the work includes identifying people who knowingly circumvented laws and policies or were instrumental in the decision to violate laws and policies.

The State Board is paying this consultant $225 an hour. We have trouble getting funding for required services and this board wants to spend $225 dollars an hour to tell us that NDSU and to some extent UND were skirting some policies.

I wonder how many hours this consultant will bill the SBoHE.

The State Board is paying this consultant $225 an hour. We have trouble getting funding for required services and this board wants to spend $225 dollars an hour to tell us that NDSU and to some extent UND were skirting some policies.

I wonder how many hours this consultant will bill the SBoHE.

The Attorney General's office may end up footing the bill. Criminal investigation is their responsibility. Wonder if Bisonville will be contributing to the Chapman Defense Fund?

The Attorney General's office may end up footing the bill. Criminal investigation is their responsibility. Wonder if Bisonville will be contributing to the Chapman Defense Fund?

You keep posting like UND has no culpability in this matter. True arrogance.... I wouldn't be to worried about the money spend I didn't see anyone complaining about all the time and state monies being spend on the nickname.

You keep posting like UND has no culpability in this matter. True arrogance.... I wouldn't be to worried about the money spend I didn't see anyone complaining about all the time and state monies being spend on the nickname.

The true example of arrogance was Chapman - spent every dime he could get a hold on any project that would boost his ego.

It would be entertaining to see a Chapman trial, but that would be expensive too. :silly:

At least justice would prevail this one time.

Nothing criminal happened.

Lack of SBoHE oversight is not a crime.

"Judge, I am not guilty of robbing that bank. It's not my fault that the state didn't provide me with a cop to constantly remind me that bank robbery is illegal. He could have warned me and stopped me from robbing it. I am not taking the blame for your lack of oversight."

That isn't necessarily true. There is ample evidence that University funds were misappropriated illegally. The question is whether or not anyone in the States Attorneys office in Cass County is willing to do a thorough criminal investigation. I would hope you might try visiting with Dick Hanson the interim President who was stuck with this mess. He is trying to get the school back on track without criminal trials but even if he can do that, to say nothing criminal happened is the type of attitude that allowed Chapman to get away with what he did. "He is our guy, he is moving us forward better than anyone in the history of the school. Laws, rules, ethics, honesty and the students be damned (he moved some student funds too)." Anyone who understands anything about higher ed finding and procedures would think your attitude ridiculous. He took personal credit for all good that happened. The research dollars probably had more to do with the N.Dak. Congressional delegation and the growing economy of the Fargo area than Chapman. The increase in students was accelerated when he opened the doors to anyone with a pulse. (It would have happened anyway baesed on the demograhics of N. Dak.).

I don't agree with those who think you have no right to post because you don't agree with the prevailing opinions and you certainly bring the opposite bias to some discussions, but your opinion and attitude that Chapman was a great president and a victim of circumtance and maybe guilty of being over zealous loses credibility on this issue. He was dishonest, arrogant, self-serving and unethical at best. He was guilty of criminal conduct at worst. Maybe the truth is somewhere in between but I can't understand how anyone can defend this bum.

The SBoHE is guilty of the fomer board chair enabling Chapman and covering for him when his superiors tried to get him to get in line. Hoeven is also guilty of enabling him when he sent a message to the board to "do whatever it takes to keep Chapman". That cost the state a couple of good Chancellers (Potts and Izaak). A good investigative reporter should be able to uncover the criminal behavior but then they and their employer will likely face the wrath of a lot of NDSU supporters and Fargo politicians who also had a hand in this.

Don't be so sure. Presuming every cost overrun was approved by someone without authority, there were real uses of funds that may not have been allocated for the projects. So you may have a foundation for fraud based on those change orders or other approvals. If there were transfers of funds between accounts to faciliate the construction, you have have wire and/or mail fraud issues if funds were misallocated. If you have more than one person involved in these projects who were parties to these transactions you may have a "criminal enterprise", and with predicates of fraud you may have a RICO case. The biggest issue may be showing any intent to break the law, since most felonies have an intent element built into them.

That said, I do agree that there were/are serious oversight issues involved, even if there are no criminal charges or indictments.

That isn't necessarily true. There is ample evidence that University funds were misappropriated illegally. The question is whether or not anyone in the States Attorneys office in Cass County is willing to do a thorough criminal investigation. I would hope you might try visiting with Dick Hanson the interim President who was stuck with this mess. He is trying to get the school back on track without criminal trials but even if he can do that, to say nothing criminal happened is the type of attitude that allowed Chapman to get away with what he did. ... The research dollars probably had more to do with the N.Dak. Congressional delegation and the growing economy of the Fargo area than Chapman. The increase in students was accelerated when he opened the doors to anyone with a pulse. (It would have happened anyway baesed on the demograhics of N. Dak.). ...

He was dishonest, arrogant, self-serving and unethical at best. He was guilty of criminal conduct at worst. Maybe the truth is somewhere in between but I can't understand how anyone can defend this bum.

The SBoHE is guilty of the fomer board chair enabling Chapman and covering for him when his superiors tried to get him to get in line. Hoeven is also guilty of enabling him when he sent a message to the board to "do whatever it takes to keep Chapman". That cost the state a couple of good Chancellers (Potts and Izaak). A good investigative reporter should be able to uncover the criminal behavior but then they and their employer will likely face the wrath of a lot of NDSU supporters and Fargo politicians who also had a hand in this.

Excellent, spot-on summary of this mess. NDSU and Fargo boosters would like noting better than to paper this over, exploit any local benefits and move on like nothing ever happened. Who knows, they may get their wish.

That isn't necessarily true. There is ample evidence that University funds were misappropriated illegally. The question is whether or not anyone in the States Attorneys office in Cass County is willing to do a thorough criminal investigation. I would hope you might try visiting with Dick Hanson the interim President who was stuck with this mess. He is trying to get the school back on track without criminal trials but even if he can do that, to say nothing criminal happened is the type of attitude that allowed Chapman to get away with what he did. "He is our guy, he is moving us forward better than anyone in the history of the school. Laws, rules, ethics, honesty and the students be damned (he moved some student funds too)." Anyone who understands anything about higher ed finding and procedures would think your attitude ridiculous. He took personal credit for all good that happened. The research dollars probably had more to do with the N.Dak. Congressional delegation and the growing economy of the Fargo area than Chapman. The increase in students was accelerated when he opened the doors to anyone with a pulse. (It would have happened anyway baesed on the demograhics of N. Dak.).

I don't agree with those who think you have no right to post because you don't agree with the prevailing opinions and you certainly bring the opposite bias to some discussions, but your opinion and attitude that Chapman was a great president and a victim of circumtance and maybe guilty of being over zealous loses credibility on this issue. He was dishonest, arrogant, self-serving and unethical at best. He was guilty of criminal conduct at worst. Maybe the truth is somewhere in between but I can't understand how anyone can defend this bum.

I'm not a member of the "Chapman was the best NDSU president because the University grew the most under his watch" club. I don't believe in growth as the end all, be all. Well planned, well controlled growth is good. Not free, unregulated growth.

That said, there are a lot in the state that don't care personally for Chapman and I think their personal emotions are clouding their judgment when it comes to all this "criminal" talk. I don't see any crimes that happened, unless some significant new information comes to light. I think Chapman pushed the envelope, sure, and maybe too far but not criminally.

I'm not a member of the "Chapman was the best NDSU president because the University grew the most under his watch" club. I don't believe in growth as the end all, be all. Well planned, well controlled growth is good. Not free, unregulated growth.

That said, there are a lot in the state that don't care personally for Chapman and I think their personal emotions are clouding their judgment when it comes to all this "criminal" talk. I don't see any crimes that happened, unless some significant new information comes to light. I think Chapman pushed the envelope, sure, and maybe too far but not criminally.

The Barry Hall financial maneuverings are the one thing that look to be at least unethical and quite possibly illegal. I leave that to the legal sorts around here to debate.

The Barry Hall financial maneuverings are the one thing that look to be at least unethical and quite possibly illegal. I leave that to the legal sorts around here to debate.

In what sense does it become "criminal" vs. just unethical or maybe just pushing the envelope?

In what sense does it become "criminal" vs. just unethical or maybe just pushing the envelope?

Like I said, I'll let those with the legal minds and experience determine the criminal vs. unethical. Like ScottM said, the "intent" component is what is required. From the audit....

NDSU is using public funds to make lease payments which are paying financing costs of a project which was to use

Why don't they just ask Chapman or other ndsu officials about what their intent was or if they knowingly committed actions they knew where wrong. Oh wait, those responsible have all either tucked their tails and resigned and won't answer questions or they where fired.