SiouxSports.com Forum

Nickname on Ballot at Spirit Lake

82SiouxGuy

OK I know that this is the wrong forum but I have to ask. It is nickname related.

Myles Brand has pancreatic cancer, when he dies is there a remote chance a new NCAA head would go against this policy of Brands and let UND keep the nickname. Sorry for being morbid but I had to ask.

I wish. Myles Brand is responsible for a lot of schools spending money to change their name because of a dumbass list he (not the NCAA) but him without the other schools in the NCAA having a say in it. So rot in hell Myles Brand i do not feel any remorse for you.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish. Myles Brand is responsible for a lot of schools spending money to change their name because of a dumbass list he (not the NCAA) but him without the other schools in the NCAA having a say in it. So rot in hell Myles Brand i do not feel any remorse for you.

Wow...I consider myself an adamant nickname supporter, but don't think I'd go that far as to wish Brand to rot in hell. I am not a fan of his by any stretch of the imagination, but come on...he is a human with pancreatic cancer.

This would be an early Christmas gift for all if this stays true. What they need to do is get everything done including the contract agreement by Oct. 1st. If something can be signed and legalized in Sept or even late this month the school board and Kelly would have to do what the tribe wants even though it sounds like they want this issue to go away.

I think the school board & Kelly would look pretty bad if both tribes had convincing victories for keeping the name. Isn't this exactly what the NCAA is asking for...the minority of the voters would have to accept this, wouldn't they? We are still in the United States of America, aren't we?

I think the school board & Kelly would look pretty bad if both tribes had convincing victories for keeping the name. Isn't this exactly what the NCAA is asking for...the minority of the voters would have to accept this, wouldn't they? We are still in the United States of America, aren't we?

The vote at Spirit Lake and a potential vote at Standing Rock would be meaningless to the NCAA if the tribal councils on both reservations don't agree to allow the use of the name. The tribal councils have the last say on the matter, the votes of the members are non-binding. However, if the tribal councils both agree to allow the use of the Fighting Sioux nickname then neither the administration at UND or the NCAA will stand in the way under the current policy.

Well this may be Ron's last shot at squashing the wishes of his constituents...when he gets voted out in the next couple months, there is potential for a whole lotta movement on this...enjoy it while you can RHHIT...what goes around, comes around... :sad:

Of course the council is going to not put the name up for a vote they know they would lose and the name would be approved by the people. Hopefully Fool Bear will get enough signatures so they can vote on the name, then get RHHIT the hell out of there and kick him off the rez. He is a disgrace to Sioux people everywhere. Don't they see that this tribal system only does what is in the best interest of them and not the tribe. People on the rez wake up and vote these people out.

SR can nix the vote over the voice of their own people. Maybe it will happen down the road, maybe not? But I get back to the fact the reservations in this state, especially the SR res, have become an embarrassment to their own people and this state. I could list the issues on these reservations, but we all know what they are. That fact, to me, that the nickname issue is forefront amid all the other issues of the NAs and their reservations is almost laughable. It getting rid of the Sioux nickname going to lower the skyrocketing suicide rate at SR?

I think that wishing Myles Brand rot in hell is going way overboard, because you seem to think because Myles Brand is the NCAA's sole policy maker. When in fact, he is not. This whole process was created by a comittee made up of college presidents or reps of the institutions of the NCAA. To lay this completely on Myles Brand shows that you are ignorant of how the process works, and the only way to keep the nickname is to truly understand how this process played out, that way we can argue effectively against it.

Why we do the things we do & say --never ceases to amaze me. Just like this year at the WCHA Final 5 when they interviewed some 10 yr old kid at intermission on the jumbo tron, and the host asked him who he thought would win & the kid responded Duluth...thus bringing a chorus of boos from not only a college age fans, but grown adults as well, I know I was sitting right there. As the host said at that time- "for those of you who would boo a 10 yr old kid...have fun in hell". Now wishing someone to hell for an offense like that is probably more appropriate. Get a grip people or at least get an understanding of who were instrumental at formulating this policy.

I think that wishing Myles Brand rot in hell is going way overboard, because you seem to think because Myles Brand is the NCAA's sole policy maker. When in fact, he is not. This whole process was created by a comittee made up of college presidents or reps of the institutions of the NCAA. To lay this completely on Myles Brand shows that you are ignorant of how the process works, and the only way to keep the nickname is to truly understand how this process played out, that way we can argue effectively against it.

Why we do the things we do & say --never ceases to amaze me. Just like this year at the WCHA Final 5 when they interviewed some 10 yr old kid at intermission on the jumbo tron, and the host asked him who he thought would win & the kid responded Duluth...thus bringing a chorus of boos from not only a college age fans, but grown adults as well, I know I was sitting right there. As the host said at that time- "for those of you who would boo a 10 yr old kid...have fun in hell". Now wishing someone to hell for an offense like that is probably more appropriate. Get a grip people or at least get an understanding of who were instrumental at formulating this policy.

even if he was the sole policy maker, it's not like he fire-bombed homeless people, then jerked off on their corpses here. the wish for one to "rot in hell" should be reserved for the most vile among us, unless of course you don't believe in hell, but then again, why would you even use the expression? unless it's just become a figure of speech for you. damn, i'm arguing with myself again.

He's not?? Isn't he the President of the NCAA meaning the buck stops at his desk. The rules state for something like name changing has to go through presidents of ALL NCAA schools not a committee and that dumbass knew that. He was just shocked that a school like Florida State would complain about it and threaten a lawsuit, or else how come Notre Dame wasn't on the list, or San Diego State. I do wish he would rot in hell i have ZERO respect for him and could care less if he dies or not. If you don't like my opinion then skip over my posts.

He's not?? Isn't he the President of the NCAA meaning the buck stops at his desk. The rules state for something like name changing has to go through presidents of ALL NCAA schools not a committee and that dumbass knew that. He was just shocked that a school like Florida State would complain about it and threaten a lawsuit, or else how come Notre Dame wasn't on the list, or San Diego State. I do wish he would rot in hell i have ZERO respect for him and could care less if he dies or not. If you don't like my opinion then skip over my posts.

brutal, but honest.

brutal, but honest.

Brand is the one who dreamed up the "policy" and the board just went along with it. I guess Walter Harrison was an integral part, too. I can appreciate the sentiment, even though I do not agree with it, and the honesty behind it. Such sentiment is not uncommon when tyrannical people who abuse authority are discussed by those whom their policies or actions have oppressed. I do not care for either Brand or his "policy" but I do feel bad for him and do not wish him ill. I am sure that he is realizing how unimportant and inane nickname "controversies" are in light of his present circumstances. I wish him and Patrick Swayze speedy recoveries.

I recently had the opportunity to chat with a member of the Spirit Lake Tribe and he gave me some of the best news I have heard in a very long time!!! ......

I've been out of the loop for a bit here, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought UND already rolled over on the nickname change? Haven't they already agreed to change the name this fall?

I've been out of the loop for a bit here, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought UND already rolled over on the nickname change? Haven't they already agreed to change the name this fall?

The SBOHE decided that UND would start the name change process on October 1 unless a long term (30 year) agreement can be reached with both Spirit Lake and Standing Rock. So there is a small window of time that people are working within to try to save the name. If they are making good progress there is a chance that they could extend that deadline a little bit.

Wow, your profile says you are 99 years old. You've been out of the loop.

The SBOHE decided that UND would start the name change process on October 1 unless a long term (30 year) agreement can be reached with both Spirit Lake and Standing Rock. So there is a small window of time that people are working within to try to save the name. If they are making good progress there is a chance that they could extend that deadline a little bit.

Sounds like a deal could almost be certain on the Spirit Lake but the Standing Rock doesn't want a vote of the people because the outcome will be in favor of the Sioux nickname. Archie Fool Bear wants UND and the Standing Rock Tribal Council to honor a ceremony that took place in the 60's I think that gave the school their blessing for the name...but the Tribe dissmisses this. Its going to be an interesting 41 days.

Sounds like a deal could almost be certain on the Spirit Lake but the Standing Rock doesn't want a vote of the people because the outcome will be in favor of the Sioux nickname. Archie Fool Bear wants UND and the Standing Rock Tribal Council to honor a ceremony that took place in the 60's I think that gave the school their blessing for the name...but the Tribe dissmisses this. Its going to be an interesting 41 days.

I'm not getting my hopes up.