SiouxSports.com Forum

Nickname on Ballot at Spirit Lake

82SiouxGuy

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this passes by a convincing margin it will certainly increase the pressure on Standing Rock to put it to a vote. Should they continue to resist putting it to a vote and the nickname goes, there will be one person that is solely responsible. Ron His Horse is Thunder can take all the credit for the name going away...he should be fine with this as that is what he has wanted for a long time.

Does anyone trust a ballot? Who's going to count it? I wouldn't be surprised if out of 100 votes, 85 were for the nickname, but all we hear about is some false numbers given to the public. A big "I told you so" scam from the leaders. We'll see how it goes I guess...

If this passes by a convincing margin it will certainly increase the pressure on Standing Rock to put it to a vote. Should they continue to resist putting it to a vote and the nickname goes, there will be one person that is solely responsible. Ron His Horse is Thunder can take all the credit for the name going away...he should be fine with this as that is what he has wanted for a long time.

He wasn't an anti-Sioux guy until Gipp "educated" him. . . so I'd put Gipp (he President of UTTC) up there on your list too.

Does anyone trust a ballot? Who's going to count it? I wouldn't be surprised if out of 100 votes, 85 were for the nickname, but all we hear about is some false numbers given to the public. A big "I told you so" scam from the leaders. We'll see how it goes I guess...

I am sure this will pass but make Ron His Horse Is Thunder(with people overlooking him) read every yes vote on the nickname then lets here him say native americans are against the nickname.

I am sure this will pass but make Ron His Horse Is Thunder(with people overlooking him) read every yes vote on the nickname then lets here him say native americans are against the nickname.

Wrong Sioux tribe that is the Standing Rock tribe and they aren't going to be allowed to vote.

If this passes by a convincing margin it will certainly increase the pressure on Standing Rock to put it to a vote.

Agreed. I think if it passes at all it will pressure the other tribe to either approve the nickname at the ruling committee level or put it to a popular vote of all tribal members.

But if it does just squeak by the interesting thing will be seeing if there is a call for a recount; and what the tribal election history is on close elections and recounts.

We will see-but if there is shenanigans about an election on merely a nickname, one has to wonder what lengths people will go to influence a real tribal election with real consequences.

BTW, Big A HG: I saw a homemade Toews chair (with say the height of a barstool or something like that) the other day: the back legs/backrest was made from two hockey sticks. I wish I would have had time to take a picture.

I think that letting the Sioux nation vote on it is the right thing to do. I get so frustrated when Native Americans of other tribes chip in their thoughts, to me it is about the Sioux people not the Chippewa Cheyanne or anyone else. Let them vote and then let it rest period.

The thing I don't get is many proponents say that it the nickname promotes racism. I say that racism is going to be there whether you keep the name or not, and at least by keeping the name the people that are ignorant have a chance to be educated, and maybe change their perspective on other cultures. My second point, whether we are the Fighting Sioux or just The Sioux. Our nickname represents our alma mater, an institution of higher learning!!! How in the world could that ever be percieved as racist, or a put down.

I will be satisfied with the outcome of the vote no matter how close it is or which way it leans too. I will be sad if the Sioux nickname and logo are crated and sent to the history books, but at least we can say that it was voted on by those that it is supposed to represent. I just wish their leadership the very few on the board would be as passionate about issues that truly affect their culture and hopefully restore their culture to where it once was, the one that we honor with loyalty. My two cents

• 3 weeks later...

This could be a nasty fight. The anti-logo people do not want a recorded vote on the issue.

That is why RHT is against it as well. If they lose a vote they have no leg to stand on.

I have always said how do you quantify who gets to vote there are a lof people that are

Sioux that do not live on reservation but are connected to both tribes/reservations.

This could be a nasty fight. The anti-logo people do not want a recorded vote on the issue.

That is why RHT is against it as well. If they lose a vote they have no leg to stand on.

I have always said how do you quantify who gets to vote there are a lof people that are

Sioux that do not live on reservation but are connected to both tribes/reservations.

I just saw the news report on the news and can't believe that the anti-nickname people are so scared they are trying to fight this even though its on the ballot. Is it because for once on the rez majority may actually rule. I actually don't like the looks of this. I see the voting process disruptive, and fixed, and violence breaking out. This could get very ugly. Thank you NCAA!

I think it will be anticlimactic.

The NA tribal councils have had a history of corrupt practices. Why not ballot fixing? Who's going to stop them? Their own tibal government? Those are the people wanting to fix the ballot!

I think the ballots don't matter. The only way it will be published is if the anti nicknamers win. If they lose, they'll declare a misvote or a ballot violation in some way and nullify the ballot.... or they'll pull a Florida in 2000 and "lose" certain boxes of ballots.

I just saw the news report on the news and can't believe that the anti-nickname people are so scared they are trying to fight this even though its on the ballot. Is it because for once on the rez majority may actually rule. I actually don't like the looks of this. I see the voting process disruptive, and fixed, and violence breaking out. This could get very ugly.

I'm not sure I see violence on election day. But it's absolutely ridiculous to think that such a small minority of people (a minority among both the NA's as well as the NCAA) could cause such a large disruption in the daily workings of a governmental entity.

And as noted before, if (and that remains a big
if
) someone is willing to cheat, lie and steal-or at the very least expend political capital-over an issue that has no actual, direct economic result; imagine what would happen to an election where there was real money at stake?
:lol:

Thank you NCAA!

Even at this point-well before a vote- just try to imagine the time and money that have been expended over something that polls and surveys have consistently shown to be a non-issue for the vast majority of NA's! There's the real "thank you".

All style, no substance:
that's
your NCAA at work!
:)

Who's going to stop them?

As noted, this is all speculation and conjecture right now: but the only thing that stops political scandal and outright fixes is
publicity

This is an issue for the Sioux people to decide.

It should be decided by Sioux people.

That's what we've heard.

Yet I find ...

The tribal judge who will rule on the referendum Friday is coming from the Three Affiliated Tribes of North Dakota, Morgan said.

So a Mandan, Hidatsa, or Arikara judge will be making the decision for the Sioux. :)

Pardon me while I sit here smirking.

This is an issue for the Sioux people to decide.

It should be decided by Sioux people.

That's what we've heard.

Yet I find ...

So a Mandan, Hidatsa, or Arikara judge will be making the decision for the Sioux. :)

Pardon me while I sit here smirking.

Yeah, so let me get this straight. We are going to have a judge that isn't from the Spirt Lake Tribe vote on an issue involving wether or not people on the ballet are really from the Spirit Lake Tribe. This stinks to the high heavens. I smell Bravo Sierra here.

Not surprisingly, the anti-nickname people are doing some campaigning on Spirit Lake: link

Let's face it--these tactics worked in the past when lobbying all the various tribal councils. Of course, the difference may be that the other side actually has a chance to be heard this time.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Ultimately, the issue here is the
fairness
of the judgement.

What if retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor were to listen to the arguments? Would her judgement automatically be less valid?

And of course, what if a
Sioux
judge were to be in charge and issue a ruling opposite of the way many of us here feel the case "should" go?

One last thing from the article:

A tribal election commission, which vetted the signatures earlier, had not found irregularities.

:lol: