SiouxSports.com Forum

(PWR) PairWise Rankings - 2009

jimdahl

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep UND is up to #7 and if the season ended today I'd guess the brackets would go like this. Of course, luckily it doesn't and UND can continue to move up with victories.

Bridgeport

2 Notre Dame

15 Air Force

7 UND

9 Yale

Minneapolis

4 Denver

14 Ohio State

5 Northeastern

12 Princeton

Manchester

1 BU

16 Bemidji

8 New Hampshire

10 Cornell

Grand Rapids

3 Michigan

13 Minnesota Duluth

6 Vermont

11 Miami

I just checked USCHO and they have us tied for 7.

On collegehockeynews.com they have us in sole possesion of 7th place in the pairwise. A couple of more good weekends and we might even be able to snag a number 1 seed, but thats a ways off yet, but we can all cross our fingers.

I wish the season ended today.

I like our bracket. ND is the only team in that bracket that really would give us trouble.

Yale can't keep up with our speed. Air Force will be a non-factor (though I'd LOVE for them to knock off ND).

Not sure which bracket would be considered the easiest path to the FF. Perhaps MN. DU could beat anyone in that bracket. Northeastern would give them the most trouble, but that's about it.

Boy, sweeping and dropping a spot wouldn't be very fun.

I know, this is the most bizarre forecast I've seen -- if these numbers hold up, a sweep has a high 20's% chance of us dropping 1, a high 10's% chance of us dropping 2.

That's a big part of why I posted it as a sneak preview: 1) I thought it was fascinating enough that I wanted to share, but 2) I'm suspicious enough that I'm doing some extra investigation to make sure I believe those numbers before posting them on the front page. I haven't made any changes that I think could be causing problems, but I'll do some confirmation of specific scenarios in the next day or two.

I know, this is the most bizarre forecast I've seen -- if these numbers hold up, a sweep has a high 20's% chance of us dropping 1, a high 10's% chance of us dropping 2.

That's a big part of why I posted it as a sneak preview: 1) I thought it was fascinating enough that I wanted to share, but 2) I'm suspicious enough that I'm doing some extra investigation to make sure I believe those numbers before posting them on the front page. I haven't made any changes that I think could be causing problems, but I'll do some confirmation of specific scenarios in the next day or two.

Hopefully it's your computer! What happened to the win out and have these great odds at a #1 seed?!? :( I know we tied yesterday, but that shouldn't drop our odds terribly.

Hopefully it's your computer! What happened to the win out and have these great odds at a #1 seed?!? :( I know we tied yesterday, but that shouldn't drop our odds terribly.

but the tie probably affected it it someway. we are on track for a nice 2 seed if this team keeps it up which i think they will with a friday night game that could clinch the cup no matter what DU does saturday!!

Ok, looking at the 5 teams that we are currently losing the comparison with, I see the following:

BU - Can't flip, not going to happen, don't bother trying to figure out how it could.

Michigan - Only by catching them in RPI will we flip this one. Not likely. They are .0177 ahead of us.

Notre Dame - Only by catching them in RPI will we flip this one. Less likely than Michigan. They are .0287 ahead of us.

Vermont - Only by catching them in RPI will we flip this one. Very possible, they are only .0094 ahead of us.

Denver - We can flip this by catching them in RPI(they are .0054 ahead of us). We could also catch them by flipping the TUC/COp comparison with a Sioux sweep over Sconnie and a DU loss or tie vs CC(this would also flip the RPI, just solidifying our position versus them).

Another thing that I think is important is that if teams currently above us lose comparisons against other teams(not necessarily just us) they are currently winning improves our standing as well. I took a look at Vermont's comparisons. If New Hampshire takes 3+ pts from them this weekend, Vermont will lose the comparisons with St. Lawrence, Minnesota and Minnesota-Duluth. We would leapfrog over them in the PWR based on those outcomes alone.

Of course, we need to take care of what we can control first and foremost. Let's not need the help from others, but be graciously willing to accept it. :(