SiouxSports.com Forum

(PWR) PairWise Rankings - 2009

jimdahl

the gophs better beat scsu or their season is over as most know. if they get by scsu and lose in play in game its going to be very close and all depends if anyone else on the bubble makes a mini run. the gophers are tissue soft and we all know it. lets not forget they friken gave up 6 to tech friday then shut them out saturday to save their season for 1 more weekend. i have them losing to scsu in 3 games but can go either way as we all know. its gona be a high flying no defense, whoevers goalie can make that final big save weekend. fun hockey to watch for sure. neither one of those teams are a threat imo any further. cant wait for wcha playoff hockey. my favorite time of the year

go sioux

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My money would be on Weslowski vs Kangas or Patterson.

I also think that SCSU is going to come to play. They will look at it as giant killing.

Biggest thing now is not to limp in, but build momentum. CC limped in last year with a poor showing at the F5 and they were one and done.

Just where does that come into pairwise, speaking of no mind.

I never said it did. I was just pointing out that it was a big win. And I give zero credibility to someone who puts them in the same sentence as Brown.

My money would be on Weslowski vs Kangas or Patterson.

I also think that SCSU is going to come to play. They will look at it as giant killing.

Biggest thing now is not to limp in, but build momentum. CC limped in last year with a poor showing at the F5 and they were one and done.

I'd like to be the guy who you are putting that money down with. Maybe there is some lucky college hockey bookie out there that you could donate to.

SCSU will think about coming to play, and then come out and realize that they are scared of the mighty Gophers and Mariucci. Like I've said countless number of times, we have their number. This is basically their National Championship...which is the only reason they have any type of chance

GOPHER SWEEP with Kangas allowing no more than 5 goals in 2 games. He is BACK.

the gophs better beat scsu or their season is over as most know. if they get by scsu and lose in play in game its going to be very close and all depends if anyone else on the bubble makes a mini run. the gophers are tissue soft and we all know it. lets not forget they friken gave up 6 to tech friday then shut them out saturday to save their season for 1 more weekend. i have them losing to scsu in 3 games but can go either way as we all know. its gona be a high flying no defense, whoevers goalie can make that final big save weekend. fun hockey to watch for sure. neither one of those teams are a threat imo any further. cant wait for wcha playoff hockey. my favorite time of the year

go sioux

If the Gophers get in they are a threat because of home ice in the regional. Once a team gets in anything can happen. Kangas is as capable of getting hot as any goalie in the country. I'm sure nobody thought Notre Dame was a threat last yeat as a 4 seed but they beat the #1 seed on their home ice and then took out the defending champions on their way to the title game. They made it to the FF without home ice, an advantage the Gophers would have if they make it. Not predicting a big run but I wouldn't count out the Gophers yet.

I never said it did. I was just pointing out that it was a big win. And I give zero credibility to someone who puts them in the same sentence as Brown.

I'd like to be the guy who you are putting that money down with. Maybe there is some lucky college hockey bookie out there that you could donate to.

SCSU will think about coming to play, and then come out and realize that they are scared of the mighty Gophers and Mariucci. Like I've said countless number of times, we have their number. This is basically their National Championship...which is the only reason they have any type of chance

he is back :sad: you must have forgotten about the last 2 1/2 months and friday when he got yanked AGAIN - sorry gopherz.........the gophs could win this for sure. 2 medicore teams in the wcha battling but scsu will be ready to play so the gophers better be ready as well. this will be a high flying no defense series. will be fun to watch

If the Gophers get in they are a threat because of home ice in the regional. Once a team gets in anything can happen. Kangas is as capable of getting hot as any goalie in the country. I'm sure nobody thought Notre Dame was a threat last yeat as a 4 seed but they beat the #1 seed on their home ice and then took out the defending champions. They made it to the FF without home ice, an advantage the Gophers would have if they make it. Not prdicting a big run but I wouldn't count out the Gophers yet.

ive always said if you can simply get in the top 13-14 if thats what gets you in then anyone is a threat as proven by teams over the years. im just going by what ive seen with my eyes and that is the gophers are below average on the defensive side and then the goalie situation being what it is as well. you are right and any goalie can get hot and carry a team. all 5 series are going to be fun to follow

ive always said if you can simply get in the top 13-14 if thats what gets you in then anyone is a threat as proven by teams over the years. im just going by what ive seen with my eyes and that is the gophers are below average on the defensive side and then the goalie situation being what it is as well. you are right and any goalie can get hot and carry a team. all 5 series are going to be fun to follow

I agree, based on how the Gophers have played there's no reason to think they'll make a run. But playoffs are a strange animal. Sometimes a team sleepwalks through a season and the playoffs begin and all of a sudden they look like a different team. There's three reasons I give the Gophers any chance at all if they make it. Home ice in the regional, a goalie who has a history of getting hot in the playoffs(not just last year but both years in the USHL), and a top line that is as good as any in the country.

he is back :sad: you must have forgotten about the last 2 1/2 months and friday when he got yanked AGAIN - sorry gopherz.........the gophs could win this for sure. 2 medicore teams in the wcha battling but scsu will be ready to play so the gophers better be ready as well. this will be a high flying no defense series. will be fun to watch

I have not forgot, just being optimistic :sad: Although it was MTU, he looked like a changed man on Saturday. If Kangas plays like he did early in the season, the Gophers are far from mediocre. That being said, he might continue his 2nd half landslide and we could get rocked, I just don't see it.

I don't see a high flying no defense series. We'll see.

I have not forgot, just being optimistic :sad: Although it was MTU, he looked like a changed man on Saturday. If Kangas plays like he did early in the season, the Gophers are far from mediocre. That being said, he might continue his 2nd half landslide and we could get rocked, I just don't see it.

well since he hasnt since the sioux series i wouldnt count on it but i hear you on being optimistic. you have to considering your own team. i see 2 teams with below average defenses and goalies that have been just decent themselves

I only saw the last 5 min but when FSN played a highlight reel of his "great saves" Sat night, they were mainly Tech shots from out that hit him in the M.

Maybe he was having trouble with those saves lately.

Maybe his a changed man. Now he is playing like a bantam instead of a squirt.

Good luck this weekend.

Haha, he's back? I hope so because 6 goals against MTech is quite a low. Actually, I think that's rock bottom.

You have no idea what you're talking about if you're putting Northeastern in that same group. They are 5th in the Pairwise, get your facts straight before you post that garbage. Much much bigger win than both UMD and SCSU, especially since we beat Northeastern without Schroeder, Hoeffel, and Fairchild.

Historically speaking, they're patsies, gopherz. I'm assuming you know that, though, because that's why they were slated to play in the Mariucci "Classic". You don't exactly get invited to play into that tournament if you're a noteworthy opponent.

I agree, based on how the Gophers have played there's no reason to think they'll make a run. But playoffs are a strange animal. Sometimes a team sleepwalks through a season and the playoffs begin and all of a sudden they look like a different team. There's three reasons I give the Gophers any chance at all if they make it. Home ice in the regional, a goalie who has a history of getting hot in the playoffs(not just last year but both years in the USHL), and a top line that is as good as any in the country.

the gophers definitely have home-ice on their side. with so many teams falling apart the last weekend of wcha play, the gophers were able to sneak out of the weekend with a 5th place conference finish, giving them home-ice next weekend. if they make it past next weekend, they essentially get home-ice at the final five since it's played in st paul. then, to top it off, if they make the ncaa tourney, they have home-ice all the way to the frozen four.

as much as i hate to say it, if there was ever a year for a poor team to make a run, it's this year for the gophers.

i love the xcel. it's the greatest hockey venue i've ever been in, but the fact they host the final five every year does give a clear advantage to the gophers. however, the sioux do always make a good showing (probably second best just about every year). the difference, though, is that the gopher showing is primarily students, whereas the sioux showing tends to be alumni who live in the twin cities.

the gophers gettting eliminated by st cloud, as unlikely as i believe that is, would make for a less lop-sided atmosphere at the xcel the following weekend. so go huskies!!

Northeastern 2007-08: 16-18-3

Northeastern 2006-07: 13-18-5

Northeastern 2005-06: 3-24-7

Northeastern 2004-05: 15-18-5

Northeastern 2003-04: 11-16-7

Northeastern 2002-03: 10-21-3

Yea, gopherz, I'm sure you predicted the 23-9-4 record of the Huskies this year. :sad: I'm guessing that the 2005-06 season is when your UM athletic director would have been licking his chops thinking "hey...I'm thinking Mariucci Classic for this team!".

so giving up 6 goals to a tech squad means your back?

Historically speaking, they're patsies, gopherz. I'm assuming you know that, though, because that's why they were slated to play in the Mariucci "Classic". You don't exactly get invited to play into that tournament if you're a noteworthy opponent.

Northeastern 2007-08: 16-18-3

Northeastern 2006-07: 13-18-5

Northeastern 2005-06: 3-24-7

Northeastern 2004-05: 15-18-5

Northeastern 2003-04: 11-16-7

Northeastern 2002-03: 10-21-3

Yea, gopherz, I'm sure you predicted the 23-9-4 record of the Huskies this year. :sad: I'm guessing that the 2005-06 season is when your UM athletic director would have been licking his chops thinking "hey...I'm thinking Mariucci Classic for this team!".

You are a fool. There is nothing that has to do with how they were in the past or how I predicted them to do this year. They are a better team than almost everyone in the WCHA, and we beat them. You're just trying to cover your a$$ for saying something so incredibly stupid and clueless.

You are a fool. There is nothing that has to do with how they were in the past or how I predicted them to do this year. They are a better team than almost everyone in the WCHA, and we beat them. You're just trying to cover your a$$ for saying something so incredibly stupid and clueless.

I see that fishing is good today there MafiaMan . . . .

Good fishermen are no fools. It takes a real presentation to get a fish to bite.

Gopherz, it is a good thing that you are still young and essentially inconsequential. Otherwise the MafiaMan would have you for lunch. Instead, he'll just toss you back so that you can nibble and bite again.

sagard, what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be over on www.twincities.com posting with the rest of your 'fans' who are calling for the heads of Lucia and Hill? :sad:

I'm pretty sure those are the same whiners that call for Hak's head every fall. :sad:

Settle down there, little fella...I think someone's mommy needs to step in and put him down for some nappy time.

Another keyboard tough guy, huh? Tell you what, come WCHA Final Five time, I'll be sure to let you know my section and seat number so you can stop by and call me 'stupid' and 'clueless' to my face. That'll give you a chance to enlighten me on your keen insight of college hockey. Sound good, Obi-won?

I find it laughable that you assume they are a better team than almost everyone in the WCHA when i'm pretty sure Minny is the only WCHA team that has played them (I haven't double-checked stats or anything but I haven't heard of another WCHA team to play them), so there's really no way to determine that. On paper, maybe, but we all know paper means nothing when you take to the ice. That's all, thanks.