SiouxSports.com Forum

(PWR) PairWise Rankings - 2009

jimdahl

Settle down there, little fella...I think someone's mommy needs to step in and put him down for some nappy time.

Another keyboard tough guy, huh? Tell you what, come WCHA Final Five time, I'll be sure to let you know my section and seat number so you can stop by and call me 'stupid' and 'clueless' to my face. That'll give you a chance to enlighten me on your keen insight of college hockey. Sound good, Obi-won?

no need to resort to possible violence.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Settle down there, little fella...I think someone's mommy needs to step in and put him down for some nappy time.

Another keyboard tough guy, huh? Tell you what, come WCHA Final Five time, I'll be sure to let you know my section and seat number so you can stop by and call me 'stupid' and 'clueless' to my face. That'll give you a chance to enlighten me on your keen insight of college hockey. Sound good, Obi-won?

Little fella? Haha :sad:

If I go to the F5 I'll definitely stop by and say hi, but I have tickets for the NCAA basketball regional so I'm not sure how conflicting that will be.

no need to resort to possible violence.

I wouldn't resort to that at all. I'd just like to give yet another Gopher fan the opportunity to show how classy he is by stopping over and saying something interesting.

Considering that my Gopher buddy and I make bets at every Final Five when the Sioux and Gophers play each other that results in one of us wearing a jersey that he hates to the next year's Final Five and the fact that I wasn't afraid to have a not-so-friendly chat with some drunk morons disguised as Sioux fans at last year's Final Five, I'd like to think that I'm not the idiot that gopherz seems to think I am.

Little fella? Haha :sad:

If I go to the F5 I'll definitely stop by and say hi, but I have tickets for the NCAA basketball regional so I'm not sure how conflicting that will be.

The Gophers won't be in that tournament either.

C'mon out to the Hoggsbreath for breakfast.

The Gophers won't be in that tournament either.

C'mon out to the Hoggsbreath for breakfast.

Yes they will be, especially with a win Thursday. Beat Northwestern and I'll bet you any amount of money that they are in, no doubt about it. Even a loss and we could still squeak in. Not like I'm going to watch the Gophers anyway, because the rule is that the host team can not play in their own regional.

If you buy me some hashbrowns I'm there in a heartbeat :sad:

Yes they will be, especially with a win Thursday. Beat Northwestern and I'll bet you any amount of money that they are in, no doubt about it. Even a loss and we could still squeak in. Not like I'm going to watch the Gophers anyway, because the rule is that the host team can not play in their own regional.

If you buy me some hashbrowns I'm there in a heartbeat :sad:

I was aware of the host-regional rule, but honestly, I lost interest in bouncy-ball years ago when it became far cooler to dunk on someone and woof in their face even if you're losing by 30 points as opposed to actually winning the game. Oh, that and the fact that I wish basketball players had more tattoos, too, because they're far cooler than hockey players that way. :sad:

O how i love a little Sioux vs Gopher rivalry in the morning, reading the last few pages has been great, lol

Anyway, what does the future PWR ranking look like for the Sioux, is there any possibility to move up a few places, maybe even get a #1 seed for regionals (knock on wood).

I was aware of the host-regional rule, but honestly, I lost interest in bouncy-ball years ago when it became far cooler to dunk on someone and woof in their face even if you're losing by 30 points as opposed to actually winning the game. Oh, that and the fact that I wish basketball players had more tattoos, too, because they're far cooler than hockey players that way. :sad:

I stopped being interested in the bball toruney about 10 years ago. for some of the same reasons. How big of a college hockey fan mustr gopherz be if he will skip the final five and go to a bball toruney.

O how i love a little Sioux vs Gopher rivalry in the morning, reading the last few pages has been great, lol

Anyway, what does the future PWR ranking look like for the Sioux, is there any possibility to move up a few places, maybe even get a #1 seed for regionals (knock on wood).

to get a one seed we would need to win both this weekend and win the final five five and hope a few other things go our way and even that is questionable. realistically a 5-6 seed will be about as high as we'll probably finish.

I stopped being interested in the bball toruney about 10 years ago. for some of the same reasons. How big of a college hockey fan mustr gopherz be if he will skip the final five and go to a bball toruney.

Played basketball my whole life. Who says you can't be a fan of both? I know many aren't, but also plenty who are. Besides, the F5 is on Thursday Friday Saturday, whereas the regional is Friday/Sunday. If anything, I'd skip Friday of basketball if there was Sioux/Gophers at the X. I'll be back from spring break anyways, might as well go to both.

Who's that CC player with the neck tats?

I believe the Gophers are one trick pony. They have one exceptional, one very good, and one slightly above average player on their top line. After that they drop off significantly. That being said, I do not care to face them; especially on their home ice. It's a rivalry series and anyone can win anytime. I bet we win 7 outta 10 this year, but I don't like those odds with all the marbles on the table. We've ended their season way too many times of late...I am fearing that the favor will be returned before too long. Such is the rivalry between two exceptional programs.

Next point: It would be a travesty in my opinion if UMN or UMD get into the tournament ahead of CC. CC is a much better squad and is a dangerous team in one and done.

I believe the Gophers are one trick pony. They have one exceptional, one very good, and one slightly above average player on their top line. After that they drop off significantly.

And one of the legs on the poney has come up lame. :sad: :sad: It was number 2 from C.C.

Historically speaking, they're patsies, gopherz. I'm assuming you know that, though, because that's why they were slated to play in the Mariucci "Classic". You don't exactly get invited to play into that tournament if you're a noteworthy opponent.

Mafia - we have plenty of content to trash Gopherz (Alex is back, etc.) - we don't need to trash NE. They had a good year (tied BU twice).

The larger point is to ask why the Gophs schedule a good NC road trip once/twice a decade.

Is this why they seem to have a problem handling adversity over the past few years? Especially at the end of the season?

Mafia - we have plenty of content to trash Gopherz (Alex is back, etc.) - we don't need to trash NE. They had a good year (tied BU twice).

The larger point is to ask why the Gophs schedule a good NC road trip once/twice a decade.

Is this why they seem to have a problem handling adversity over the past few years? Especially at the end of the season?

I wasn't 'trashing' Northeastern, just pointing out a fact. They've had a great season and I'm glad to see a non-traditional hockey team emerge, much like Notre Dame did last year. I'm simply pointing out that Minnesota doesn't tend to invite any real talent to their own tournament and it was a matter of sheer luck that Northeastern all of a sudden threw together a decent team this year.

I believe the Gophers are one trick pony. They have one exceptional, one very good, and one slightly above average player on their top line. After that they drop off significantly. That being said, I do not care to face them; especially on their home ice. It's a rivalry series and anyone can win anytime. I bet we win 7 outta 10 this year, but I don't like those odds with all the marbles on the table. We've ended their season way too many times of late...I am fearing that the favor will be returned before too long. Such is the rivalry between two exceptional programs.

Next point: It would be a travesty in my opinion if UMN or UMD get into the tournament ahead of CC. CC is a much better squad and is a dangerous team in one and done.

I think your right on about the Gophers, but are giving CC far too much credit. I'm sure they had a nice weekend at GF, but they have been pretty bad at times this year as well. Their series with UMD will knock someone out. UW is the team I fear may reach out and steal the WCHA autobid. They can play well at times and are only two wins from the NCAA if they make the Final Five. I'm really hoping to relive the '04 WCHA Finals. Have CC and UW get rolled in the 1st round. Gophers sneak by SCSU and DU setting up another classic with the Sioux in the Final. Yeah I'm still drinking the maroon kool-aid.

I think your right on about the Gophers, but are giving CC far too much credit. I'm sure they had a nice weekend at GF, but they have been pretty bad at times this year as well. Their series with UMD will knock someone out. UW is the team I fear may reach out and steal the WCHA autobid. They can play well at times and are only two wins from the NCAA if they make the Final Five. I'm really hoping to relive the '04 WCHA Finals. Have CC and UW get rolled in the 1st round. Gophers sneak by SCSU and DU setting up another classic with the Sioux in the Final. Yeah I'm still drinking the maroon kool-aid.

Watching Saturday's game I thought Bucky looked VERY good. Eaves has been happy with his team's play lately even if they weren't winning and Hakstol was similarly impressed. If they play like they did on Saturday I think they will give any team all they want. This is why I think they will beat Mankato who will not be an easy opponent.

UW is the team I fear may reach out and steal the WCHA autobid. They can play well at times and are only two wins from the NCAA if they make the Final Five. I'm really hoping to relive the '04 WCHA Finals. Have CC and UW get rolled in the 1st round. Gophers sneak by SCSU and DU setting up another classic with the Sioux in the Final. Yeah I'm still drinking the maroon kool-aid.

I agree about Bucky, but you understand that wanting the Gophers to lose early is obligatory for fans everywhere. Still, when the Badgers are playing their best, only their own fans could want to watch that stifling brand of hockey. I'd much rather see a UND/Gopher barnburner, as long as there are no toothy grins afterward.

maybe cc just matches up with us well and plays a similar style. It was the best hockey I've seem played all year when cc was in nodak. Old time hockey, Eddie Shore. It actually reminded me of the 2004 Final 5 championship featuring Parise and Vanek and the boys. About seven or eight players from that game went onto the Nhl.

MN's top line can play with anyone, and their second line can hold their own. Heck even the Toni Lucia Patrick White line does some good things. Minnesota has horrible defensive defensemen. You can't have nothing but offensive dmen and one defensive dman who is a pylon and expect to win. The goalie problems have made that problem at the blueline more obvious

Still, I am respectful of the rodents. Schroeder is in that special class of player. He actually reminds me a bit of Patrick Kane. He is going to have a very short NCAA career, and a very nice NHL career.

Schroeder is in that special class of player. He actually reminds me a bit of Patrick Kane. He is going to have a very short NCAA career, and a very nice NHL career.

I have watched him in about half a dozen games and I wasn't as impressed. He had great games against the weaker teams at the World Juniors but in the big games against the better teams and in the games against the Sioux he wasn't much of a factor. Sorry but he is no Kane

I thought he looked great at the wjc, and I've seen him do things away from the puck that only the very special do. I was trying to think of a smallerish player with big time playmaking ability. He is different than Parise, Toews, Vanek, Oshie, Stafford, Wheeler, Kessel, Zajac or any of the other Nhlers by way of WCHA that I've seen of late. Kane was the best comparison I could cone up with. If Schroeder played with a true sniper, his assist numbers would be sick. IMO Schroeder has made Stoa this year.

I have watched him in about half a dozen games and I wasn't as impressed. He had great games against the weaker teams at the World Juniors but in the big games against the better teams and in the games against the Sioux he wasn't much of a factor. Sorry but he is no Kane

I don't think he is in Kane's class either. But he really shouldn't be compared to a #1 overall pick initially when he will be lucky to be a top 10 pick. I think he is a PMB clone with hopefully a little more willingness to shoot.