SiouxSports.com Forum

(PWR) PairWise Rankings - 2009

jimdahl

We currently sit #12 in the pairwise.

To show how crucial the non-conference games are, our pairwise would be significantly better if we could have won the UMass and/or Mich. State games.

Win over UMass only, pairwise would be #8.

Win over MSU only, pairwise would be #7.

Win both, pairwise we would be #5.

With the switch of just two games we would be discussing the chances of a #1 seed instead of fighting to get off the bubble.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We currently sit #12 in the pairwise.

To show how crucial the non-conference games are, our pairwise would be significantly better if we could have won the UMass and/or Mich. State games.

Win over UMass only, pairwise would be #8.

Win over MSU only, pairwise would be #7.

Win both, pairwise we would be #5.

With the switch of just two games we would be discussing the chances of a #1 seed instead of fighting to get off the bubble.

I didnt think that one or two games would make such a difference. I have no idea how the ranking system works but that is ridiculous. one win or loss should not make such a difference.

I didnt think that one or two games would make such a difference. I have no idea how the ranking system works but that is ridiculous. one win or loss should not make such a difference.

With those weak teams, they are effective in two categories....RPI and COp.

i think it should and especially the mich state loss as they are one of the worst teams out there and at that time they really were. its a body of work system and the sioux have 1 very very bad weekend that has hampered them and that was the crappy weekend in detroit

doesnt matter now though. go sweep the seawolves and keep up this solid 2nd half

Good thing there are plenty of other games for us to watch at "normal" times to get the ball rolling.

LOL, depends though how many one has if one will be able to stay up.

It works out well EDC tonight tap the goofs game and then watch the Sioux. :huh:

Sounds like a hockey day weekend.

LOL, depends though how many one has if one will be able to stay up.

It works out well EDC tonight tap the goofs game and then watch the Sioux. :huh:

Sounds like a hockey day weekend.

Fri:

Denver @ Wisconsin (NHL Network)

Notre Dame @ Nebraska-Omaha (CBS College Sports)

Minnesota @ Colorado College (FSN or FCSC)

Michigan @ Ohio State (Big Ten Network)

North Dakota @ UAA (FSSN)

Sat:

Unannounced teams (CBS College Sports)

Minnesota @ Colorado College (FSN FCSP)

Denver @ Wisconsin (FCSC)

Plenty of college hockey :D

Fri:

Sat:

Plenty of college hockey :huh:

Holy Cow just think if you have the NHL Center Ice. Hockey over dose. :D

I asked this before and am sorry in advance for being a fat head.

Will the FSSN broadcast beam out to the FTA satellite systems made famous by Satellite Pete

and Iceberg? Or is that signal only beamed when the games are originating from the Ralph.

Long question short. Will the satellite hook pick up the AA games this weekend?

I asked this before and am sorry in advance for being a fat head.

Will the FSSN broadcast beam out to the FTA satellite systems made famous by Satellite Pete

and Iceberg? Or is that signal only beamed when the games are originating from the Ralph.

Long question short. Will the satellite hook pick up the AA games this weekend?

Oops. Looks like I found my answer over at Post 154 on the AA thread.

If Cheesemover can't do it, I suspect that it cannot be done.

Fri:

Sat:

Plenty of college hockey :)

Inside College Hockey also lists Boston College at New Hampshire for tonight and Michigan at Ohio State for Saturday's CBS College Sports game and also Michigan State at Bowling Green on FSN Detroit. So an updated list would look like this:

Fri:

Minnesota @ Colorado College (FSN North or FCSC)

Boston College @ New Hampshire (NESN)

Sat:

Michigan @ Ohio State (CBS College Sports)

Minnesota @ Colorado College (FSN North or FCSP)

Denver @ Wisconsin (FSN Wisonsin)

Michigan State @ Bowling Green (FSN Detrot)

Fri:

Sat:

Plenty of college hockey :)

Can someone tell me when Midcontinent started carrying the Big Ten Network on channel 70 in GF? I stumbled across the Ohio St vs. Michigan St. hockey game last Friday.

Can someone tell me when Midcontinent started carrying the Big Ten Network on channel 70 in GF? I stumbled across the Ohio St vs. Michigan St. hockey game last Friday.

I don't have a channel 70 listed when I go through my guide. I have it as 318 on Midco in GF.

Time for my yearly complaint against the pairwise rankings :silly:

This system needs to be scrapped or at least modified to fix some of the problems:

1. It is possible that you would be better off losing a game than winning it. Has to do with the TUC cliff.

This was Wisconsin's situation a few years ago in the first round of the WCHA playoffs against AA.

It should never be beneficial to lose a game. Why should one team get to keep a 4-0 record against team #25

while another team would lose a 4-0 record against team #26. Needs to be some kind of weighting system.

2. TUC criteria. If one team in the comparison has not played 10 games against TUC then there is no point awarded.

Look at the UND vs Alaska comparision right now.

UND is 9-6-2 against TUC while Alaska is 3-5-1. Since Alaska has only 9 games than there is no point awarded.

If Alaska played one more game against a TUC than UND would win the point...doesn't even matter if Alaska wins or loses.

They need to modify this. If one team has 10 or more games against TUCs then go ahead and award the other team wins

in every game they are short of ten. If the team with 10 or more games still has a better record than they get the point,

otherwise there is no point awarded.

3. COP. There needs to be some minimum number of games.

Look at UND vs Miami. UND is 0-1-0 while Miami is 3-1-0.

Since UND lost the one game then Miami only had to win or tie one out of their four games to get the point.

Conversely, if UND had won the game then Miami would have had to win all four games to avoid losing the point.

Should be a minimum of two or three games in COP to award anyone a point.

Time for my yearly complaint against the pairwise rankings :silly:

This system needs to be scrapped or at least modified to fix some of the problems:

1. It is possible that you would be better off losing a game than winning it. Has to do with the TUC cliff.

This was Wisconsin's situation a few years ago in the first round of the WCHA playoffs against AA.

It should never be beneficial to lose a game. Why should one team get to keep a 4-0 record against team #25

while another team would lose a 4-0 record against team #26. Needs to be some kind of weighting system.

2. TUC criteria. If one team in the comparison has not played 10 games against TUC then there is no point awarded.

Look at the UND vs Alaska comparision right now.

UND is 9-6-2 against TUC while Alaska is 3-5-1. Since Alaska has only 9 games than there is no point awarded.

If Alaska played one more game against a TUC than UND would win the point...doesn't even matter if Alaska wins or loses.

They need to modify this. If one team has 10 or more games against TUCs then go ahead and award the other team wins

in every game they are short of ten. If the team with 10 or more games still has a better record than they get the point,

otherwise there is no point awarded.

3. COP. There needs to be some minimum number of games.

Look at UND vs Miami. UND is 0-1-0 while Miami is 3-1-0.

Since UND lost the one game then Miami only had to win or tie one out of their four games to get the point.

Conversely, if UND had won the game then Miami would have had to win all four games to avoid losing the point.

Should be a minimum of two or three games in COP to award anyone a point.

Damned straight rochsioux. Thanks for the explanation. I have slowly come to understand the Pairwise, but always appreciate

the wise sages like you who can shed some reasonable light on the calculations, considerations, and machinations.

It is beyond me how Yale, Princeton, and probably even Cornell can be ranked ahead of us in the current Pairwise. Maybe we ought

to start scheduling our out-of-conference games starting over the Holiday Season and continuing thereafter. All leagues could do it.

Take a few weeks off from league play in February and play some games against each other then.