SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

per brads twitter

Chicago to send Byfuglien, Sopel, Eager and Aliu to Atl for 24th pick, 54th pick, Marty Reasoner and Jeremy Morin.

hard to pay that many players top dollar so someone had to go. im usre it has to be bitter sweet for dustin going there after just winning the cup

per brads twitter

Chicago to send Byfuglien, Sopel, Eager and Aliu to Atl for 24th pick, 54th pick, Marty Reasoner and Jeremy Morin.

hard to pay that many players top dollar so someone had to go. im usre it has to be bitter sweet for dustin going there after just winning the cup

Eager can be replaced from within. Sopel won't be missed.

Aliu spent the year in the ECHL last year. On a weak Atlanta team, even if he doesn't make the NHL, if Aliu doesn't at least make the AHL, then Atlanta got a garbage prospect.

Byfuglien is the big loss. I don't see anyone to step in for Chicago that is currently signed. They could re-sign Burish if they wanted, but he doesn't have Byfuglien's size to back up the mouth.

I just hope they don't go with someone who's just ineffective like Boogaard or Scott.

Oh and Reasoner? If they can trade him to another team with another contract player and get picks and a prospect, that'd be awesome.

Eager can be replaced from within. Sopel won't be missed.

Aliu spent the year in the ECHL last year. On a weak Atlanta team, even if he doesn't make the NHL, if Aliu doesn't at least make the AHL, then Atlanta got a garbage prospect.

Byfuglien is the big loss. I don't see anyone to step in for Chicago that is currently signed. They could re-sign Burish if they wanted, but he doesn't have Byfuglien's size to back up the mouth.

I just hope they don't go with someone who's just ineffective like Boogaard or Scott.

Oh and Reasoner? If they can trade him to another team with another contract player and get picks and a prospect, that'd be awesome.

Morin has put up some pretty good numbers over the last few years. I think he was a good pickup for Chicago. If he doesn't make the club this year, I would bet he will have a decent year in the AHL. With the right line-mates he will put up good numbers.

Morin has put up some pretty good numbers over the last few years. I think he was a good pickup for Chicago. If he doesn't make the club this year, I would bet he will have a decent year in the AHL. With the right line-mates he will put up good numbers.

Agreed.

Some say he was Atlanta's top forward prospect.

What they see in Reasoner is a minimal salary cap hit of like 1.5 million for just the upcoming year. Stan Bowman has said from the start that they need to get cap room and they are looking for young prospects in return and Jeremy Morin is a great start along with the draft picks they have been acquiring.

Siouxhockey5

What they see in Reasoner is a minimal salary cap hit of like 1.5 million for just the upcoming year. Stan Bowman has said from the start that they need to get cap room and they are looking for young prospects in return and Jeremy Morin is a great start along with the draft picks they have been acquiring.

Siouxhockey5

THis is spot on.

The Hawks didn't need Reasoner. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets traded (I actually was surprised that he wasn't traded already for picks) if they can find the right offer (probably an unsigned prospect or 2011 draft picks now).

This was purely a monetary move. If money wasn't an issue, do you honestly think the Hawks would trade away Byfuglien?

I really think he was the only guy that made me sad to see the trade happen. Nothing against Sopel or Eager, but I think they're far easier to replace than Byfuglien.

Even if Reasoner stays in Chicago, it's not all that bad. He's a decent role player and has been around for a while. He is a far more proven commodity than Colin Fraser. And Chicago did get decent work out of hasbeens (See Boynton).

But yeah, this was purely financial.

And now scuttlebutt has it with the new cap numbers, Chicago may not have to make a trade.

I just hope Bowman can find a way to either convince Huet to take a pay cut or find an interesting way to get rid of Huet while minimizing the cap hit (Mission Impossible).

I love Buff, and he was irreplaceable in the playoffs...however, he did have a knack for disappearing during the regular season. Down the road (I think he has one year left on his contract), he'll be seeking a nice paycheck, and that would have only made it harder to keep him.

Madden will be gone too most likely.

I just hope Bowman can find a way to either convince Huet to take a pay cut or find an interesting way to get rid of Huet while minimizing the cap hit (Mission Impossible).

Buff will be missed. He was a monster reason they won the Cup. For my views on Huet I think Chicago would come out on top if they traded him for a bag of used pucks. My brain short circuits every time I remember he makes more money than Brodeur.

Madden will be gone too most likely.

I think you're right, he will probably deserve a salary that the Hawks can't afford but will get an offer from another club. Madden is one of the best defensive forwards in the game.

Does anyone know what happened to Joe Finley? Last I heard he was ECHL and working as a forward. He's back in town this summer.

he was injured last season

twitter update from brad

- Expect Erik Fabian to be named the new UND women's hockey assistant coach sometime this week.

Does that mean that the Hockey Academy will be shutting down?

No, they said that they are finding other people to run it in GF and Berry is staying involved in the operations as much as he can.

As for Finley, he had surgery in November on his hand....in late May/early June, he was about 2-3 weeks from skating and shooting with everything again...but the surgery went well.

No, they said that they are finding other people to run it in GF and Berry is staying involved in the operations as much as he can.

As for Finley, he had surgery in November on his hand....in late May/early June, he was about 2-3 weeks from skating and shooting with everything again...but the surgery went well.

tough for Big Joe. Not many first rounders in the ECHL right out of school.