SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

blackhawks-mural.jpg

The image above (via Assignment Chicago) is a mural visible from the Eisenhower Expressway that depicts Chicago Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews(notes) after escaping from the Island of Dr. Moreau with trace amounts of swine DNA fused with his genetic code ...

Oh, the jokes this pig-nosed image immediately launched. That Toews looks like the mutant nurse from "The Twilight Zone." That he resembles the fabled ManBearPig from "South Park." That he's the only player in the NHL who can smell the top of his own face shield.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,231193

very suprisng he got the deal he did, ast or 2nd round deal and almost a bonus max. good for chris!

per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

In this story, I detail how VandeVelde's decision to return for his senior year was beneficial financially. His contract was in line with what a first- or second-round pick usually gets. VandeVelde was a fourth-round pick.

I believe his contract is worth between $700,000 and $800,000 base salary. He got the maximum signing bonus of $85,000 and the maximum for every possible performance bonus. If he plays in the AHL, he'll get the max $62,500 there. So, it was pretty much the best deal he could possibly get.

VandeVelde was in great negotiating position. Being that he stayed until he was a senior, he would become a free agent if Edmonton didn't sign him by Aug. 15 (or maybe it's Aug. 1, I can't remember off hand). The Oilers made it clear they wanted to sign him. I believe there was some back and forth last week between the parties before agreeing to the deal.

herald

vandevelde first pro point with a assist last night in a loss

NHL Playoff Schedule

FORMER SIOUX IN NHL PLAYOFFS

Jonathan Toews - CHI

Zach Parise - NJD

Travis Zajac - NJD

Matt Greene - LAK

Drew Stafford - BUF

Brian Lee - OTT

Ryan Johnson - VAN

Dave Tippett - Head Coach, Phoenix Coyotes

Steve Peters - Video Coach, Phoenix Coyotes

James Patrick - Assistant Coach, Buffalo Sabres

Parise, Zajac disappointed in Sioux change

Parise believes the nickname will be fondly remembered.

“The people in Grand Forks are so proud of the university and proud of the athletics and proud of the name, that I’m sure they’re all [ticked] off, too,” he said. “I’ve never been to a place that’s more proud of its athletes and its athletics than there. It’s awesome. I think they’re going to be upset about the whole thing, too. They almost felt that they were a part of it, too. It was great.”

That article lost me when it said Huet will make 43 saves in game 7 for the win. :silly::(:silly:

Fun to dream though right?

Another good read:

Toews Earning Comparisons to NHL Legends

I don't find it altogether impossible to see Huet make 43 saves. He'll probably do it on 50 or 53 shots though. And, unless Fleury is equally sieve-esque, that would mean Pittsburgh wins it.

I was being pretty sarcastic as I'm sure you gathered :(. He can make that many saves, just in the situation you described. It looks like Neimi gets the nod for the playoffs anyway. He's hot right now so I'm fine with that. Too bad they have 5.8m wrapped up in Huet, which is more than Brodeur makes. Looks like Vokoun and Turco are free agents now :silly: much better goalies than Huet. The plus is I think the Hawks D will have few troubles shutting down the Pens. It will be fun to watch. Either way you slice it, it's nice seeing so many Sioux and former WCHA'ers in the playoffs.

How about NJ vs. CHI for Lord Stanley's cup, I'm drooling just thinking about it (as far as 3 sioux being in it goes anyway).