SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post, admin feel free to move it.

The good news keeps coming in Vermillion...

Minnesota schedules University of South Dakota in football

Congratulations Coyotes!

Strange, that i've seen conflicting reports on the USD game. Gobison.com posted a game against SDSU in 2010 and the startribune posted USD.

Gobison.com's post is just a reprint of a UofM release.

Any idea on when the 2009 UND football schedule will be coming out and if they've heard of any games (when and where) lined up?

This was in Wayne Nelson's blog yesterday:

UND's 2009 football schedule isn't complete, but it appears the Sioux are close to having 10 games locked up. UND athletic director Brian Faison said he expects the Sioux will play an 11-game schedule, with five games at home. Nine games are officially scheduled as of now, six on the road. Two home date have yet to be filled. The more difficult of the two home dates to fill, it appears, is Sept. 12. UND had Idaho State booked for that date but the Bengals exercised the $25,000 buyout clause in the home-and-home contract with UND - leaving the Sioux searching for another Potato Bowl opponent.

Don't know where else to put this but since you talk a little about USD's schedule here I think this is the right place. This is being reported on USD's message board.

2009 Coyote Schedule

Home vs William Penn

@UNI

Home vs U-W Stout

Home vs SE Louis

@UND

Home vs Cal-Davis (HC Game)

@Montana State

@Akron

@UNC

Home VS S. Utah

@Cal Poly

Bring on the Akron Zips!!!

Two non D-1's. We had a couple of backouts (WTAMU and McNeese St, we know who you are) or wouldn't have Stout on the schedule and might have had 6 home games.

Wondering now if Mont St. is a 2 for 1, and when they'll back out of the return game. They'll probably give us notice right after we whip their butts up there.

Don't have the date on the trip to GF but am planning a roadie!

Could we accept it in their stead? 900k in the budget and a trip to the Big House would be awesome.

Please, Brian Faison, PLEASE!!!!!!

Michigan is looking for a game on October 17th...we have a home game scheduled against Sioux Falls on October 15th. Home games have been tough to come by this year...doubt we would schedule this game unless we were able to schedule another home game to replace it.

Michigan is looking for a game on October 17th...we have a home game scheduled against Sioux Falls on October 15th. Home games have been tough to come by this year...doubt we would schedule this game unless we were able to schedule another home game to replace it.

With 900 G's, buyout the Sioux Falls game as well as the Sept 5th Texas Tech game (was that only a 250 k? guarantee), as there are a number of D2 openings on that date. Rather play Michigan than Texas Tech anyway.

With 900 G's, buyout the Sioux Falls game as well as the Sept 5th Texas Tech game (was that only a 250 k? guarantee), as there are a number of D2 openings on that date. Rather play Michigan than Texas Tech anyway.

We're not an FBS counter in 09. That may not matter to Texas Tech, but I bet it matters to Michigan.

Why wouldn't you be? USD is (playing Akron).

NDSU played Minesota in 2006 (3rd year).

FBS schools can only count the game toward bowl eligibility if the FCS team meets some scholarship requirement.

I'm by no means an expert in this area, but my understanding is that you need to average 60 scholarships over the previous two seasons to be an FBS counter for bowl eligibility purposes. That means transitioning teams can't be an FBS counter until their third year (2010 for UND). I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.... Obviously Texas Tech is comfortable that they will get bowl eligibility without needing to count their win against UND. Michigan, on the other hand, will probably need every win they can get.

I'm by no means an expert in this area, but my understanding is that you need to average 60 scholarships over the previous two seasons to be an FBS counter for bowl eligibility purposes. That means transitioning teams can't be an FBS counter until their third year (2010 for UND). I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.... Obviously Texas Tech is comfortable that they will get bowl eligibility without needing to count their win against UND. Michigan, on the other hand, will probably need every win they can get.

I believe the magic number is 57.

90% of 63 = 56.7

Prior to 2005, the wording of the rule included the phrase "three preceding academic years". When the rule was changed for the 2005 season, they eliminated that phrase and changed it to "a rolling two-year period". I believe the change came too late to help NDSU for the 2005 season(schedules had already been set), but it allows UND to be an FBS counter for the 2009 season, rather than 2010.

90% of 63 = 56.7

Prior to 2005, the wording of the rule included the phrase "three preceding academic years". When the rule was changed for the 2005 season, they eliminated that phrase and changed it to "a rolling two-year period". I believe the change came too late to help NDSU for the 2005 season(schedules had already been set), but it allows UND to be an FBS counter for the 2009 season, rather than 2010.

I stand corrected then.

Posts over at AnyGivenSaturday and at UCAFANS.COM indicate that we will be playing at Central Arkansas on November 28.

That would seem unlikely since that is the day of the opening round of the playoffs, but UCA is in its last year of transition and also ineligible for the playoffs. Perhaps they worked something out for that late of date. I don't know if even the NCAA will allow that though.

From quickly glancing at the posts, it sounds like their coach mentioned at their signing day press conference.

Posts over at AnyGivenSaturday and at UCAFANS.COM indicate that we will be playing at Central Arkansas on November 28.

That would seem unlikely since that is the day of the opening round of the playoffs, but UCA is in its last year of transition and also ineligible for the playoffs. Perhaps they worked something out for that late of date. I don't know if even the NCAA will allow that though.

From quickly glancing at the posts, it sounds like their coach mentioned at their signing day press conference.

It's not unheard of. In 2007 University of San Diego played UC Davis on the first week of the playoffs. San Diego actually had a pretty legitimate shot at the playoffs as I think they were undefeated going into that game but were snubbed by the committee since they play in the non-scholarship Pioneer league. The game had a contingency where they could cancelled it had San Diego qualified for the tournament. Turned out to be moot point as I believe UC Davis handled San Diego fairly easily.

So, is that away game number 6 for the year? Or am I missing one? For away games I have:

SUU

UC Davis

Texas Tech

Stephan F Austin

Northwestern State

Central Arkansas

Wonder how we're going to fill out the home schedule. I'm hoping for one FCS at least. And maybe Central Washington would be good if possible. Please not Incarnate Word.

I can confirm the Central Arkansas game as it was first reported.

That's a really good game to get. UCA was 10-2 overall last year, 6-1 in the Southland, and finished the season ranked #12 in the nation. They would have been crowned conference champs if they were eligible for the playoffs. They will be entering thier last year of transition this upcoming season.

I've updated the Schedule Wiki.

According to the link from earlier in this thread regarding schedule openings, Maine still apparently has September 12 open. Even if it means "overpaying" in terms of a guarantee, that would seem to be the best option in terms of getting a recognizable name for a Potato Bowl opponent.

According to the link from earlier in this thread regarding schedule openings, Maine still apparently has September 12 open. Even if it means "overpaying" in terms of a guarantee, that would seem to be the best option in terms of getting a recognizable name for a Potato Bowl opponent.

If your referring to the http://www.footballscoop.com/?page_id=61 site...it seems to be rather out of date as many of UND's confirmed games are not listed.

This site http://cfbpalace.net/maine.html shows that Maine has 4 home games and six road games scheduled. If this schedule is correct, then I doubt they would be looking for another road game...unless they were able to buy a different game out.

EDIT: This second site also has a few errors as it lists UND traveling to Cal Poly this year...