SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

If true, I'm quite disappointed that we'd accept a one-game, road-only contract with an FCS team. I could understand doing it for this season, but now that we'll be a counter, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I'm also disappointed. We need to start getting home-and-homes with teams like Stephen F. Austin. Other than Idaho State, has UND been able to get any home-and-homes with any FCS scholarship teams? I can't think of any.

I might be wrong here, but I am thinking there is a pretty decent chance that UND may only get 1 Great West home game next season, and 3 away games.

I pulled these quotes from the Future Schedules thread over at AGS:

Unofficial Cal Poly schedule:

Home: North Dakota, South Dakota, Northwestern and South Dakota State

Away: San Jose State, Montana, UC Davis and Southern Utah

Home: UC Davis, Southern Utah and McNeese State

Away: Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota

I would bet anything ND and SD will not both be at home for you in 2009... I seriously doubt the Great West will make you guys travel to the Dakotas twice a year every other year. I know you got UC Davis and Southern Utah at home this year but once the full scheduling of the teams in 2009 starts they will revamp the schedule so either Davis or Utah will be visiting you guys for back to back years.

We shall see. USD had a release that said that they would be @ Cal Poly again 2009. Southern Utah is actually a tougher road trip than going to the Dakotas. Southern Utah is a 14 hour two day bus ride, the Dakotas are chartered flights.

I sure hope that they get the conference schedule evened out so each team gets 2 home and 2 away. South Dakota's schedule next year is set up that way. I hope they all are. There is no reason they shouldn't be since we will be over 2 years removed from the UxD's joining the conference, and with only five members in the conference, there should be alot of flexibility as to when we can get the games in, even if a couple conference games have to be played earlier in the season.

Our radio guy said during the UC Davis game that "we will be back here next year". I'm assuming he meant Davis, and not just CA in general. So if slostang is right that Cal Poly gets both the Dakota schools at home that would tell me that North Dakota would have just 1 home GWC game and 3 on the road. SUU was set up that way this season, so using the same rotation the T-Birds will get 3 at home and 1 away. This is how the GW has been set up since UNC left for the Big Sky. It was Poly and SDSU that rotated the unbalanced 3-1 conference schedule. Now it looks like it might be UND and SUU that do that.

This needs to be fixed ASAP, and it will require someone else to travel to an opponent on consecutive years, like USD is doing with Poly, and apparently UND with UC Davis. It looks to me like SUU should be travelling back to SLO in 2009, and Poly should come to Grand Forks.

I hope I am wrong and this is corrected. So far, South Dakota is the only GWC team to reveal its opponents for 2009.

I might be wrong here, but I am thinking there is a pretty decent chance that UND may only get 1 Great West home game next season, and 3 away games.

I pulled these quotes from the Future Schedules thread over at AGS:

I sure hope that they get the conference schedule evened out so each team gets 2 home and 2 away. South Dakota's schedule next year is set up that way. I hope they all are. There is no reason they shouldn't be since we will be over 2 years removed from the UxD's joining the conference, and with only five members in the conference, there should be alot of flexibility as to when we can get the games in, even if a couple conference games have to be played earlier in the season.

Our radio guy said during the UC Davis game that "we will be back here next year". I'm assuming he meant Davis, and not just CA in general. So if slostang is right that Cal Poly gets both the Dakota schools at home that would tell me that North Dakota would have just 1 home GWC game and 3 on the road. SUU was set up that way this season, so using the same rotation the T-Birds will get 3 at home and 1 away. This is how the GW has been set up since UNC left for the Big Sky. It was Poly and SDSU that rotated the unbalanced 3-1 conference schedule. Now it looks like it might be UND and SUU that do that.

This needs to be fixed ASAP, and it will require someone else to travel to an opponent on consecutive years, like USD is doing with Poly, and apparently UND with UC Davis. It looks to me like SUU should be travelling back to SLO in 2009, and Poly should come to Grand Forks.

I hope I am wrong and this is corrected. So far, South Dakota is the only GWC team to reveal its opponents for 2009.

UND has Poly and USD at home and is going out to UC-Davis and SUU. That is the latest I heard and makes sense.

Last I heard McNeese has pulled out of their 2009 game in Vermillion. I guess this is what life is going to be like as a newbie to this division. Schools are going to treat us this way scheduling wise for a while. They know we are desperate and the only thing that is going to save us from having to go through this every year is either an expanded GWFC or a new conference home (MVC Superconference??)

As far as scheduling goes, I would hope each GWFC school would get 2 home and 2 away games every year. That only makes sense. From what I have heard, the trip to SUU is actually the toughest of all because it involves a 14 hour bus trip, according to the Cali schools the Dakota trips are much easier.

If true, I'm quite disappointed that we'd accept a one-game, road-only contract with an FCS team. I could understand doing it for this season, but now that we'll be a counter, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Get used to it. And if you do get a home/home, make sure they come to your place first. Off the top of my head, I can think of only Mississippi Valley State who we've completed a home/home with. I can't remember if Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston, Nicholls State, and Northwestern St. were home/homes or guarantee games. From the standpoint of getting good teams to come to your place, it's not much different than DII. This year's NDSU schedule looked a lot like the DII days (with the exception of Wyo of course); two easy guarantee games with a tough non-conference schedule.

Get used to it. And if you do get a home/home, make sure they come to your place first. Off the top of my head, I can think of only Mississippi Valley State who we've completed a home/home with. I can't remember if Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston, Nicholls State, and Northwestern St. were home/homes or guarantee games. From the standpoint of getting good teams to come to your place, it's not much different than DII. This year's NDSU schedule looked a lot like the DII days (with the exception of Wyo of course); two easy guarantee games with a tough non-conference schedule.

Completed home/homes (Il St/WIU in 07 were home/homes started before NDSU joined MVFC)

NW St

SFA

Nicholls St

MVSU

Weber St

Home and homes to be completed.. NDSU owes SHSU a game, Georgia Southern owes NDSU a game... and it is still not clear whether Montana St will return their game

road guarantee games SIU

home guarantee games (FCS only) Peay, CCSU, N'easter

Completed home/homes (Il St/WIU in 07 were home/homes started before NDSU joined MVFC)

NW St

SFA

Nicholls St

MVSU

Weber St

Home and homes to be completed.. NDSU owes SHSU a game, Georgia Southern owes NDSU a game... and it is still not clear whether Montana St will return their game

road guarantee games SIU

home guarantee games (FCS only) Peay, CCSU, N'easter

I guess a rule to live by is if you're going to schedule a home/home do it with a Southland team. Although with their expansion in recent years they'll be looking for fewer out-of-conference games.

Stephen F. Austin is apparently improved over recent years, but they haven't had a winning record since 2004, and they average around 8700 per game. I'm going to reserve judgment until we know for certain this isn't a home-and-home, but I'd certainly like to think we shouldn't have to resort to this type of scheduling. During our entire run as a dII power from 1993 to 2007, I don't believe we EVER agreed to a road-only contract against a program in our own division (in other words, Northern Iowa was the sole road-only contract to my knowledge).

Idaho is 2010 and 2011. Fresno St. also already has Cal Poly on the slate for 2010, so if we play them they'd have 2 FCS teams that season. According to Mussman (and Shawn-O :sad: ), the Hawaii game is not a done deal.

Would be interesting game-day experience. For California schools, Fresno has got to have the most fanatical college fans.

bulldog-stadium-1.jpg

UND leaves on a high note

Sure would be nice to know if that rumored Iona game was one of the home games. If so, that knocks us back to 3 home games at this point. Hopefully they take some that $350,000 from Tech and get a decent DI team for a home game. I have to assume that at least one home game next year will be a DII. I hope just one.

Yes, Iona was a home game.

Here are conference schedules for 2009:

SUU

@ Cal Poly

vs. UC Davis

@ South Dakota

vs. North Dakota

Cal Poly

@ North Dakota

vs. Southern Utah

@ UC Davis

vs. South Dakota

UC Davis

@ South Dakota

vs. Cal Poly

@ Southern Utah

vs. North Dakota

North Dakota

@ Southern Utah

vs. Cal Poly

@ UC Davis

vs. South Dakota

South Dakota

@ Cal Poly

vs. Southern Utah

@ North Dakota

vs. UC Davis

I got this info from the athletic departments of SUU, UC Davis, and Cal Poly. No dates yet.

Glad to see it will be 2 home and 2 away for every team.

North Dakota

@ Southern Utah

vs. Cal Poly

@ UC Davis

vs. South Dakota

These 2 games at the bare minimum had better be TOTAL sellouts next year. The Grand Forks community should plan on being at those two games for sure. Also, the athletic department better have a better marketing plan than what they had for the 1st home game this year against SUU. I am already so pumped for those two games, I have shivers. Can't wait.

SUU

@ Cal Poly

vs. UC Davis

@ South Dakota

vs. North Dakota

Cal Poly

@ North Dakota

vs. Southern Utah

@ UC Davis

vs. South Dakota

UC Davis

@ South Dakota

vs. Cal Poly

@ Southern Utah

vs. North Dakota

North Dakota

@ Southern Utah

vs. Cal Poly

@ UC Davis

vs. South Dakota

South Dakota

@ Cal Poly

vs. Southern Utah

@ North Dakota

vs. UC Davis

I got this info from the athletic departments of SUU, UC Davis, and Cal Poly. No dates yet.

Glad to see it will be 2 home and 2 away for every team.

I am also glad to see a 2 home and 2 away for each team, but do not understang why UND is going back to Davis and USD is goin back to SLO next season. It seems the logical choice would have been UND @ CP, UCD @ UND, CP @ USD and USD @ UCD.

This site lists 2009 Open Dates and shows UND with six, which can't be right. Some of the Great West dates may be flexible, which may be why six potential dates are listed.

Seems the schools with the most common dates for UND are Liberty, Old Dominion, Northern Colorado, and IA New Mexico State. Old Dominion would be a first year program, so they'd be a real young team. Would hope we could get UNC, Liberty and or ODU in a home/home. Two IA games wouldn't be unreasonable, especially if the second one is NMSU. Still doubt NMSU would schedule us.

November 7 is Weber State's only open date according to the Big Sky's conference schedule that matches up with UND. However I have heard that the Weber St. game is apparently not a done deal :glare: . The date of the Stephen F. Austin game is September 26.

I've been playing around with the schedule Wiki. Actually, Jim started it a few weeks ago, and I totally deleted all of his work and replaced it with my own! :huh: I'm just guessing on the dates of the Weber and USD games. I'd imagine all of the GWC games are pretty flexible to accomodate each teams ability to find games. The dates and locations of the first four games are firm. With opening the season with 3 of 4 on the road, I'll speculate that we will have a home game, probably against a DII opponent, on October 3rd.

I am kind of worried about how this schedule, which was shaping up nicely, is going to look when it is done. We've already lost Iona, which was to be a home game, and the Weber St. game may have fallen through. Could end up with a 4th consecutive season with just a 10 game schedule. ;)

According to some posts on AGS, the following schools may be looking for another game as they also had Iona on their schedules:

Old Dominion

Liberty

Columbia

Bryant

Wagner

Sacred Heart

North Dakota will not be playing Weber St. next season ??? .

To make matters worse, I have good reason to believe that Weber initially agreed to come to GF in 2009.

That drops us to 8 confirmed games at this point, 3 at home and 5 away. It is somewhat late in the season for scheduling for next year. We will almost assuredly have a home game against a DII (it is probably already scheduled, but not known who it will be), but at this point, I worry that it may possible that we may end up with just 4 home games next season, unless we bring in more than just one sub-DI opponent.

Hopefully, they throw some of that Texas Tech money at a DI school to bring in for a 5th home game.

Also, I can confirm that the game with Stephen F. Austin is a one-game deal only.

I've been playing around with the schedule Wiki. Actually, Jim started it a few weeks ago, and I totally deleted all of his work and replaced it with my own!

Great! I find it really handy to be able to just go to the page and not have to dig through the discussion to see the current status.

North Dakota will not be playing Weber St. next season sad.gif .

To make matters worse, I have good reason to believe that Weber initially agreed to come to GF in 2009.

Not great ???