SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

If you have to play them (USF), please knock the snot out of them. A 50 point margin of victory would be nice. The people in Sioux Falls are actually starting to see USF as some sort of "bigtime" program. Not only would a good Sioux trouncing help seperate USD from these schools, you'd be doing Augie and Northern State a favor as well.

Word. I am from Brandon, SD and I get so sick of USF. Sucks UND would put that garbage on their schedule.

The only D-II school that apparently has a matching open date is the University of Incarnate Word (San Antonio, TX) which has a brand new program opening play this fall. Probably not the best option.

I REALLY HOPE WE CAN GET THIS GAME!!!!!!!! I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO SEE UND PLAY THE UNIVERSITY OF INCARNATE WORD!!!!!!!!!

Face facts. With the MOValley schools having more members, they need fewer games. Ditto the Big Sky. Ditto the Southland. With Lamar adding football in the Southland, it's only getting worse. Compared to five years ago, combined, those three conference need 27 less non-conference games annually. In the mean-time, DIA payoffs are going up. D2 conference like the MIAA and the Northern Sun with former NCC schools have like 45 less non-conference dates available. It's a different world than even four years ago. UCDavis and Cal Poly aren't exactly having picnics making their schedules either.

BTW, if USF was a DII in 2011, does it then make it acceptable???

Whatever the reason, this is really bad. Stinkbombs like this could negatively impact season tickets, donations, and recruiting. It's one thing to schedule them in 2009 out of necessity, but there is absolutely no excuse to schedule this team in 2011. A lot can happen in two years and UND should stay optimistic that it won't need games like this by 2011. It makes it look like the administration is throwing in the towel. Yes, there is probably a buy-out clause, but it does more harm than good having this team sitting on the 2011 schedule. This is the first real disappointment of the Faison era.

Whatever the reason, this is really bad. Stinkbombs like this could negatively impact season tickets, donations, and recruiting. It's one thing to schedule them in 2009 out of necessity, but there is absolutely no excuse to schedule this team in 2011. A lot can happen in two years and UND should stay optimistic that it won't need games like this by 2011. It makes it look like the administration is throwing in the towel. Yes, there is probably a buy-out clause, but it does more harm than good having this team sitting on the 2011 schedule. This is the first real disappointment of the Faison era.

Insurance policy.........

Just off the top of my head, here are some recent matchups that were agreed to, but never fulfilled, all within the last 5 years:

Montana St. return game to NDSU

Montana return game to SDSU

McNeese St. return game to USD

UND return game to Mesa St.

Southeastern Louisiana return game to UND

UND game against Cal Poly

UND game against Weber St.

? 2 more games between UND and UNI ?

Likely just covering a few bases in case some more attractive future deals fall through, because they can.

Insurance policy.........

Just off the top of my head, here are some recent matchups that were agreed to, but never fulfilled, all within the last 5 years:

Montana St. return game to NDSU

Montana return game to SDSU

McNeese St. return game to USD

UND return game to Mesa St.

Southeastern Louisiana return game to UND

UND game against Cal Poly

UND game against Weber St.

? 2 more games between UND and UNI ?

Likely just covering a few bases in case some more attractive future deals fall through, because they can.

No matter how this is spun it is still a bad deal as mk said. UND CAN schedule an NAIA team, if need be, after the 2010 season...absolutely no reason to sign them up three years in advance...

EDIT: I would rather schedule an FCS and have it fall through rather then having "insurance" games against lower competion three years out. At least we would know that teams are interested in playing us...scheduling USF for 2011 makes us look desperate...and maybe we are :D

There are 244 other teams in D1 and we are scheduling NAIA teams??? Get the phone book and call these teams and book them plain and simple and when you are done with the 244 teams and no one bites then look at the NAIA. :D

Hey darell, wave your magic wand and make it happen than. I would like to see some one else as much as you but maybe Sioux Falls asked for a game in 2011 in order to play this year. We needed a game this year so we agreed. I'm hoping we buy out of it and fill it with someone else when the time comes but next year is the priority, not 2011. If filling next years schedule was easy it would be done already. They can't help schools backing out and schools dropping programs. And even though it was a few years ago beating Northern Iowa at their place doesn't help with scheduling. This is just a thought but I probably know as much about scheduling as you do, so I don't know much.

Hey, I know the administration and coaches have been calling every Division I possible to schedule games. No one in the athletic department wanted to schedule this game but in order to get another home game next year we didn't have a lot of options. Hopefully we'll buy the 2011 game out but in order to get a game for 2009 we had to agree to the 2011 game as well. We'll see some better opponents overall but quite frankly it's going to be tough to get quality Division I opponents in the Alerus Center without a conference. Facts are facts. Either you can support the team through these difficulties until we find a conference or you can throw a temper tantrum and stop supporting the program and the Division I move is sure to fail. It's your choice but I've always been of the opinion you shouldn't cut off your nose to spite your own face.

There are 244 other teams in D1 and we are scheduling NAIA teams??? Get the phone book and call these teams and book them plain and simple and when you are done with the 244 teams and no one bites then look at the NAIA. :D

ODG. Until you get half of a clue on how scheduling and conference affiliation works, maybe it would be best to say nothing at all. :D

Obviously, not an ideal game to schedule now or in 2011. As has been said by many already, we all knew the transition would be the toughest years. The best thing for LOYAL Sioux fans to do is to support the teams and programs through the tough times when they need it most.

I guess it's ok to complain a little and be disappointed to a certain degree (myself included) and want the best for the University of North Dakota as a whole. Everyone has set their sights high for the athletic department specifically. It will take time. There are/will be growing pains. Stay the course. So many variables need to play themselves out before any definitive judgments can be made.

If you are going to "jump ship" and threaten to stop going to athletic events and supporting UND financially because of scheduling a few games like this during the transition, then please do it for the long haul. When things make a turn for the better in a few years, I would hope those same people won't be "back on board" with their pom poms in the stands.

Obviously, not an ideal game to schedule now or in 2011. As has been said by many already, we all knew the transition would be the toughest years. The best thing for LOYAL Sioux fans to do is to support the teams and programs through the tough times when they need it most.

I guess it's ok to complain a little and be disappointed to a certain degree (myself included) and want the best for the University of North Dakota as a whole. Everyone has set their sights high for the athletic department specifically. It will take time. There are/will be growing pains. Stay the course. So many variables need to play themselves out before any definitive judgments can be made.

If you are going to "jump ship" and threaten to stop going to athletic events and supporting UND financially because of scheduling a few games like this during the transition, then please do it for the long haul. When things make a turn for the better in a few years, I would hope those same people won't be "back on board" with their pom poms in the stands.

Are you only a LOYAL Sioux fan if you don't complain? And dlsiouxfan, is complaining about a bad scheduling decision really throwing a temper tantrum? And who are either of you to say what level of complaining is acceptable?

Wake up football fans. You should want passion from the fans. You should want people complaining. You should want people chiming in even though they don't know what they're talking about. You should want people criticizing the athletic director even if they couldn't do as good of job. This is par for the course amongst Sioux hockey fans and I hope that mentality starts creeping into the football program. It just means people care.

My point about this type of scheduling is that the average fan will lose interest. I'll still go to games. Hard-core fans will still go to games. But the average fan will lose interest in this program and stop going to games unless it can bring in semi-decent teams. And these things snowball. Do you honesetly think other coaches aren't going to bring up the fact that UND has an NAIA team on their schedule in 2011 to potential recruits? If you have to add a game like this, make it a 1-year only deal and get it over with. Don't let it linger on your future schedules list for two years. And yes, scheduling is very difficult in a 5-team conference for a team in transition, but that doesn't mean certain decisions can't be criticized.

To the point, we all know UND was desperate for a game in 2009. Let's assume UND could get no other DI team to come in 2009. Let's assume UND could get no other DII team to come in 2009, at least at a semi-affordable price. And let's assume Sioux Falls said they won't play UND in 2009 unless they get scheduled for 2011 as well. Then don't schedule them! Seriously, is there not another NAIA school out there that would have taken a one-year deal? Seriously?

Are you only a LOYAL Sioux fan if you don't complain? And dlsiouxfan, is complaining about a bad scheduling decision really throwing a temper tantrum? And who are either of you to say what level of complaining is acceptable?

Wake up football fans. You should want passion from the fans. You should want people complaining. You should want people chiming in even though they don't know what they're talking about. You should want people criticizing the athletic director even if they couldn't do as good of job. This is par for the course amongst Sioux hockey fans and I hope that mentality starts creeping into the football program. It just means people care.

My point about this type of scheduling is that the average fan will lose interest. I'll still go to games. Hard-core fans will still go to games. But the average fan will lose interest in this program and stop going to games unless it can bring in semi-decent teams. And these things snowball. Do you honesetly think other coaches aren't going to bring up the fact that UND has an NAIA team on their schedule in 2011 to potential recruits? If you have to add a game like this, make it a 1-year only deal and get it over with. Don't let it linger on your future schedules list for two years. And yes, scheduling is very difficult in a 5-team conference for a team in transition, but that doesn't mean certain decisions can't be criticized.

To the point, we all know UND was desperate for a game in 2009. Let's assume UND could get no other DI team to come in 2009. Let's assume UND could get no other DII team to come in 2009, at least at a semi-affordable price. And let's assume Sioux Falls said they won't play UND in 2009 unless they get scheduled for 2011 as well. Then don't schedule them! Seriously, is there not another NAIA school out there that would have taken a one-year deal? Seriously?

Sounds like you have things all figured out. Have at it and complain away. And also read my post again. Never said my thoughts were the 'end all'.

Thanks for your input though. Another point of view.

Recruiting is the big thing who wants to go to a school who schedules D2 or NAIA teams or they can go to a school 70 miles south of Grand Forks and play against D1 teams like NDSU. Seems like they didn't have much problems getting D1 teams to play them during transistion especially late in their transistion years. 2009 fine play a NAIA or a d2 but after that make it a priority to play ONLY D1 teams. You think a FCS team will want you if you play Sioux Falls?? Whats next Bemidji or Minot?? I just hope in 2012 the Sioux get the required games to compete for a national title.

With Western Washington dropping football, it means that either Central Washington, Humboldt State or Dixie State will have a schedule opening on November 7th. My suggestion to Mr. Faison is to get on the phone immediately. :sad:

With Western Washington dropping football, it means that either Central Washington, Humboldt State or Dixie State will have a schedule opening on November 7th. My suggestion to Mr. Faison is to get on the phone immediately. :)

The unraveling of Western Washington's schedule will create open dates all throughout the West, creating a real mess and opportunity. Wonder if the contract for USF has been signed? :sad:

If true that would be a huge blow. I would have to question our administration as to why we only have a $25,000 buyout while Cal Poly's buyout is $150,000. I think it would be cheaper for them to buyout the contract than travel to Grand Forks. Makes no sense to me.

Idaho State bought out of their return game to SDSU as well so this doesn't surprise me.

That I can remember- only Weber State of the Big Sky has fulfilled the return game part of the schedule with a Dakota school

(Montana bought out of 2-1 with SDSU, ISU bought out of return to SDSU, and Mont St may return game to NDSU but I think it is doubtful)

It looks like Idaho State is going to buy out the return game next year. A 1-win season doesn't help, and the administration has been feeling the heat for only scheduling 5 home games last season (vs. 7 away).

http://www.pocatelloshops.com/new_blogs/sports/?p=4394

Not cool.

Things just keep getting worse for UND this week. :angry:

$25,000 for a buyout? What a joke. That's a fricking steal for Idaho State. I'm sure their AD was trying his best not to laugh when he made that deal.

It'll cost UND more than twice as much to bring an NAIA team that nobody has ever heard of. At this point, they'll have to schedule a couple high school teams just to get to five home games.