SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

So coaches moving up to higher division fb jobs is a sign of disarray. Good one.. Linebacker coach wanted the DC job and Bohl told him he had to apply - he didn't like so HE decided to look else where. I think you can tell by our recruiting class that nothing was in disarray (we didn't lose a single recruit) and to say different is wishful thinking on your part. :D???

Wishful thinking about what? I never said you guys didn't have a good class. I was responding to the fact that you said we went head to head on a few recruits and of course you guys got them all. I was saying was making a joke about this being how it always works according to Bison fans. We hear the same stuff every year. I could give a sh*t less about your coaching staff, but I'm sure during recruiting losing three coaches no matter where they go isn't ideal. Coach Bohl did a good job with this. And I have heard that Nystrom was told to leave, he was Pearle's boy and when Pearles left on bad terms with Bohl, he was gone. This is just what I heard from someone that I would call in the know but it could be wrong. I'm sure you know more than I do and I'm not gonna change your mind so I am not going to argue that with you. Also, the players loved Nystrom. He was definately a players coach but you guys did a great job filling the DC with the hiring of Mike Breske. I have known him for a long time and he is a great guy and will be a solid coach. Now, lets get back to scheduling.

^&%!&$@^!%

This nickname issue is killing us in so many ways. USD schedules 2 teams from the Big 10 that won't schedule us because of the nickname. Not to mention the Summit League deal.:D

That leaves 9 other teams in the Big 10 including Illinois, so lets schedule them.

That's nothing more than regular recruiting. Nothing that would give either school a significant advantage.

Why are you emotionally invested in this? You hate me that bad?

I do hate you at all. I do get annoyed that you always take over a thread and destroy it and the fact that you can never say that you are wrong no matter what fact is presented to you. Other than that, I have no problem with you.

As far as scheduling, I would like to see UND hook up with Portland State to fill the last spot on your schedule.

^&%!&$@^!%

This nickname issue is killing us in so many ways. USD schedules 2 teams from the Big 10 that won't schedule us because of the nickname. Not to mention the Summit League deal.:D

The nickname can't go fast enough. And what happened to leveraging the hockey relationships?

^&%!&$@^!%

IIRC, Wisconsin dropped the scheduling ban once UND reached a settlement with the NCAA. I don't think the nickname was the reason we lost out on this game. I agree though, terrible blow. I was very much looking forward to a game against Wisconsin.

We have a game with Texas Tech from the Big 12. I would rather see us play Big 12 teams anyway, like Nebraska, Kansas, etc. if you are going to step up and play D1 teams you might as well play them against a good conference.

I agree, we don't need the Big 10 or the Mac which NDSU likes to play. We have the Big 12. Lets see if we can schedule the SEC or the ACC too. UND vs Florida St. Wouldn't that be a fun matchup for native americans everywhere. :D

I agree, we don't need the Big 10 or the Mac which NDSU likes to play. We have the Big 12. Lets see if we can schedule the SEC or the ACC too. UND vs Florida St. Wouldn't that be a fun matchup for native americans everywhere. :D

Totally disagree. Look at the player roster. How many from Big 10 country vs Big 12? A stronger presence in those markets is a higher priority. Don't misunderstand, I think it's great to get TT on the schedule, but scheduling Big 10/MAC fits in with the bulk of the recruiting footprint. Or am I off in that analysis?

We have a game with Texas Tech from the Big 12. I would rather see us play Big 12 teams anyway, like Nebraska, Kansas, etc. if you are going to step up and play D1 teams you might as well play them against a good conference.

Not saying I am right and you are wrong, but I disagree with this sentiment. These games are played for paydays and recruiting, IMO. Regional recruiting in the upper midwest is your bread & butter. For this reason, I think playing the closest schools to your recruiting base makes the most sense. That's not to say though that playing teams from Texas and California might not help picking up a kid or two along the way from those respective regions.

I do like the idea of Nebraska because we are moving more towards recruiting that area harder.

Adding a thought: Scheduling Big Ten/MAC schools results in easier trips for your fans. That can raise interest in your program which leads to higher attendance, better season ticket sales, and more donations. Money games in far off locations give you money once, money games close to home can give you money twice. Choose winnable FBS games(Minnesota/Wyoming/Iowa State/Ball State/Central Michigan) and you've got a chance for the Daily Double. I'm pretty sure this is NDSU's FBS scheduling philosophy. I like it, but what works for us may or may not work best for you.

I do agree as far as recruiting and travel and all that....just couldn't resist taking a shot at the Big 10 as some people still regard them as a power conference in football when they are the 6th best of the 6 power conferences. Just get sick of the Big 10 hype in this part of the country whether it's football or basketball, it's terrible when compared to the ACC, Big East, SEC, pac 10, and Big 12.

I do agree as far as recruiting and travel and all that....just couldn't resist taking a shot at the Big 10 as some people still regard them as a power conference in football when they are the 6th best of the 6 power conferences. Just get sick of the Big 10 hype in this part of the country whether it's football or basketball, it's terrible when compared to the ACC, Big East, SEC, pac 10, and Big 12.

I kinda doubt most people would put the BE above the B10, but the B10 could legitmately be the 5th best of the 5 traditional power conferences.

Playing in Texas and California makes sense, that's where the players are and they can't all go to Texas and USC. Focusing west makes a lot of sense, especially as teams continue to drop like flies in those areas. That's one concern about the Great West. I think both UC-Davis and Cal Poly will likely move to FBS to rationalize the expense of football in California's economic climate. Sac. St. just seems like a program that will eventually be dropped. That will essentially eliminate small college football in the state.

Several Big Sky schools also have football programs that may be in precarious positions positions. You could see a potential domino effect of

UC-Davis and Cal Poly to the WAC

Sac. St., Portland State and Northern Arizona to the Big West (dropping football for financial reasons)

Denver, Southern Utah, UND, USD to Big Sky

Big Sky would then have the enviable 10-9 format allowing for four home and away games in football each year.

Travel partners would be

Weber - SUU

UND-USD

UNC-Denver

EWU-Idaho St

Montana-Montana St.

There's certainly not a high likelihood of all that going down, but for the most part it is pretty reasonable. And for now looking west makes sense because we are playing in a western league. Also just as important, we are marketing the school and there are a ton of students to be hooked out west, and with North Dakota's stagnant to declining youth population that is another concern.

Playing in Texas and California makes sense, that's where the players are and they can't all go to Texas and USC. Focusing west makes a lot of sense, especially as teams continue to drop like flies in those areas. That's one concern about the Great West. I think both UC-Davis and Cal Poly will likely move to FBS to rationalize the expense of football in California's economic climate. Sac. St. just seems like a program that will eventually be dropped. That will essentially eliminate small college football in the state.

Several Big Sky schools also have football programs that may be in precarious positions positions. You could see a potential domino effect of

UC-Davis and Cal Poly to the WAC

Sac. St., Portland State and Northern Arizona to the Big West (dropping football for financial reasons)

Denver, Southern Utah, UND, USD to Big Sky

Big Sky would then have the enviable 10-9 format allowing for four home and away games in football each year.

Travel partners would be

Weber - SUU

UND-USD

UNC-Denver

EWU-Idaho St

Montana-Montana St.

There's certainly not a high likelihood of all that going down, but for the most part it is pretty reasonable. And for now looking west makes sense because we are playing in a western league. Also just as important, we are marketing the school and there are a ton of students to be hooked out west, and with North Dakota's stagnant to declining youth population that is another concern.

I bet that both Montana and Montana State move up shortly after the NCCA ban on moving is lifted.

Where does this idea that conferences are just going to accept new teams because they're in the same geographical region come from?

You've got the WAC accepting Poly and Davis and you've got the Big West accepting Sac St, Portland St and Northern Ariz.

The WAC might consider Davis because of their fantastic academics and the Sacramento market, but Fresno is about the only school in the WAC that would vote for adding the remote Cal Poly.

The Big West will not add a school outside of California, plain and simple. Sac St would probably get in but certainly not Portland and NAU. No way.

And lastly, there is no possible configuration of the Big Sky where any Dakota school gets voted in. Aint happening.

The concept is only perpetuated by those who hate NDSU and want to see UND in a separate conference.

Where does this idea that conferences are just going to accept new teams because they're in the same geographical region come from?

You've got the WAC accepting Poly and Davis and you've got the Big West accepting Sac St, Portland St and Northern Ariz.

The WAC might consider Davis because of their fantastic academics and the Sacramento market, but Fresno is about the only school in the WAC that would vote for adding the remote Cal Poly.

The Big West will not add a school outside of California, plain and simple. Sac St would probably get in but certainly not Portland and NAU. No way.

And lastly, there is no possible configuration of the Big Sky where any Dakota school gets voted in. Aint happening.

The concept is only perpetuated by those who hate NDSU and want to see UND in a separate conference.

Mpls why do you have to always state things as fact when in fact they are just your opinion. The above is your opinion which is fine, but that is all it is.

I never stated it was fact, you can choose to take it any way you want, that's your problem.

I've been on a lot of boards and you are truly the most desparate! Go back to bisonville................but ................you're not even welcome there????? Com on man.........

Already been said, but scheduling FBA teams like Minnesota and Wisconsin are more important than most Big 12 teams because UND recruits heavily in Minnesota and Wisconsin and because they are within driving distance of a very large number of UND fans. Minnesota will be a given once the nickname is dropped, but I thought UND could schedule Wisconsin sooner. Oh well....

As for the Big 12, I'd like to see an Iowa State game. It's a close driving distance for all the Sioux fans in the Twin Cities and it might be a little more competitive than playing some of the Big 12 South teams.