SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

I agree i am not happy with usf on the schedule but if i remember right sdsu played wisconsin lacross a couple years back and there program is well on its way to the top of Div 1AA and i think und will do the same. I'm not sure if lacross is NAIA but they are not real good. Ps sdsu lost.

Wisconsin-La Crosse is a DIII school and SDSU played them last in 2006. Neither SDSU nor NDSU played a non-DI the year before they were playoff eligible(though SDSU played the transitioning Central Arkansas).

*Wisconsin-La Cross is a good DIII school that makes the playoffs almost every year(they usually are eliminated in the second round). Wisconsin is strange in that they have no FCS or DII football programs, so the DIII schools often get good DII talent.

The University of Sioux Falls? :D

Who's next, Mayville State? They can always use the money, right? :D

Or how about Jamestown State? They've had some decent NAIA programs in the past.

This is ridiculous! :D We're supposed to be a DI FCS program and this makes us look like a total joke. And I don't want to hear about how "We are in transition, we are really still a D-II program, blah, blah, blah." We have to start looking, talking and acting like a DI FCS program or we can kiss top recruits, quality opponents and a conference home goodbye. At this rate, we'll be better off becoming a non-scholarship FCS program. Then it won't matter if we play the likes of UW-LaCrosse and USF.

My 2 cents (for whatever it's worth).

My problem isn't playing them in 2009 but why agree to 2011 too, I hope that we aren't having the same scheduling issues in 2011 that we are having now.

USF likely has plans for D2 - this game wratchets up those plans - and a DIAA game can only help them with regional recruiting. By announcing the games now, USF gets to advertise to recruits about the 2011 game. For UND, with no playoffs, a 2011 game doesn't harm it like 2012 would. Because of the circumstances, USF was probably a cheaper game than a D2, and USF actually has a fan base that would buy some Alerus tickets. Better than an Upper Iowa option.

The University of Sioux Falls? :D

Who's next, Mayville State? They can always use the money, right? :D

Or how about Jamestown State? They've had some decent NAIA programs in the past.

This is ridiculous! :D We're supposed to be a DI FCS program and this makes us look like a total joke. And I don't want to hear about how "We are in transition, we are really still a D-II program, blah, blah, blah." We have to start looking, talking and acting like a DI FCS program or we can kiss top recruits, quality opponents and a conference home goodbye. At this rate, we'll be better off becoming a non-scholarship FCS program. Then it won't matter if we play the likes of UW-LaCrosse and USF.

My 2 cents (for whatever it's worth).

Does no one remember the NDSU - Montana Tech game? That was a bigger joke than this game will be.

USD, SDSU, and NDSU (at least during their transitions), all made a practice of not playing lower-lever in state schools. They all have played lower level out-of-state schools, as fans are less insulted (see the schools noted in your post), and the potential of an embarrassing loss isn't as consequential in the media.

If they still need games I would still like to see the Sioux play SCSU in St. Cloud. It's an easy drive from GF and gives all the alum from the Twin Cities and here a chance to see the Sioux again in the fall. Or how about D2 national champion UMD in Duluth? These would be a step up from NAIA schools.

If they still need games I would still like to see the Sioux play SCSU in St. Cloud. It's an easy drive from GF and gives all the alum from the Twin Cities and here a chance to see the Sioux again in the fall. Or how about D2 national champion UMD in Duluth? These would be a step up from NAIA schools.

If UND agrees to play a DII school, it won't be an away game, for PR and scheduling reasons. A neutral site game might be possible (MetroDome), but even that's unlikely, as, from a public relations standpoint, a DI school doesn't want to be perceived as an equal of a DII.

Ok, that makes sense. I just like to have the Sioux come to town and beat up on the Huskies and not have to drive four hours to see it! :D

Mussman said last fall after the St. Cloud game that none of the Minnesota schools will play UND in the future because of the nickname issue. I believe that's now a system-wide policy.

Does no one remember the NDSU - Montana Tech game? That was a bigger joke than this game will be.

USD, SDSU, and NDSU (at least during their transitions), all made a practice of not playing lower-lever in state schools. They all have played lower level out-of-state schools, as fans are less insulted (see the schools noted in your post), and the potential of an embarrassing loss isn't as consequential in the media.

You can try to spin this all you want but it is what it is...a huge red flag. It's one thing to schedule an NAIA next year, but why on earth do we need to be scheduling them for a game three years from now? If we are having trouble filling out a schedule for the upcoming season, go ahead and schedule who you can...but three years out...makes no sense. :D

You can try to spin this all you want but it is what it is...a huge red flag. It's one thing to schedule an NAIA next year, but why on earth do we need to be scheduling them for a game three years from now? If we are having trouble filling out a schedule for the upcoming season, go ahead and schedule who you can...but three years out...makes no sense. :D

Agreed... what a foolish move. Couldn't some other NAIA opponent be scheduled (if necessary) two years from now for a game in 2011?

If you have to play them (USF), please knock the snot out of them. A 50 point margin of victory would be nice. The people in Sioux Falls are actually starting to see USF as some sort of "bigtime" program. Not only would a good Sioux trouncing help seperate USD from these schools, you'd be doing Augie and Northern State a favor as well.

Just in the last few days UND has added itself to the open dates on D2football.com:

The University of North Dakota is looking to fill its final home date on the 2009 schedule. UND has an opening on November 7 and is willing to pay a cash guarantee.

The only D-II school that apparently has a matching open date is the University of Incarnate Word (San Antonio, TX) which has a brand new program opening play this fall. Probably not the best option.

If you have to play them (USF), please knock the snot out of them. A 50 point margin of victory would be nice. The people in Sioux Falls are actually starting to see USF as some sort of "bigtime" program. Not only would a good Sioux trouncing help seperate USD from these schools, you'd be doing Augie and Northern State a favor as well.

Instate jealousy brings out the worst in people. All you have to do is bring up UND on Bisonville and it turns people

into the nite of the living dead. And I'm sure most of the people on Bisonville are decent people.

UND is in transition and after beating USF it would be yesterdays news. Like other posters have said about SDSU getting beat by LaCrosse, SDSU recovered.

UND is looking for games or maybe UND is doing another school a favor. Things like that do happen in college

athletics. UND is proably looking for some favors to.

I guess I don't really have a problem with this. True scheduling must be going a bit tougher than expected to likely have to schedule 2 teams of D2 or lower quality for next year. However, things of this nature were not (or should not) have been unexpected at this stage in transition. USF is a team playing in a division where they shouldn't be (kinda like if we would have stayed D2). I agree that if we actually go through with the 2nd game then something is wrong but I fully expect us to buy it out. Maybe the reason they got next years game scheduled was a guarantee of 2 games? I don't think UNI is looking to redeem the other 2 games that were potentially offered in that deal. Things change over time. I have total faith that the new administration will see us through this mess that was created by the old administration's poor vision and petty differences. The best thing we as fans can do is to support the team during this time knowing that there will be a payoff in the future.

Face facts. With the MOValley schools having more members, they need fewer games. Ditto the Big Sky. Ditto the Southland. With Lamar adding football in the Southland, it's only getting worse. Compared to five years ago, combined, those three conference need 27 less non-conference games annually. In the mean-time, DIA payoffs are going up. D2 conference like the MIAA and the Northern Sun with former NCC schools have like 45 less non-conference dates available. It's a different world than even four years ago. UCDavis and Cal Poly aren't exactly having picnics making their schedules either.

BTW, if USF was a DII in 2011, does it then make it acceptable???

Face facts. With the MOValley schools having more members, they need fewer games. Ditto the Big Sky. Ditto the Southland. With Lamar adding football in the Southland, it's only getting worse. Compared to five years ago, combined, those three conference need 27 less non-conference games annually. In the mean-time, DIA payoffs are going up. D2 conference like the MIAA and the Northern Sun with former NCC schools have like 45 less non-conference dates available. It's a different world than even four years ago. UCDavis and Cal Poly aren't exactly having picnics making their schedules either.

All excellent points. One just has to look at all of the Southland teams that used to schedule often against Great West teams to see what an impact their league growing over the last few years has on us now. All 5 Great West schools including the 3 former members played southland teams alot. I think they only had 6 members when the GWC was formed, and will be up to 8 or 9 by 2010.

Think of the teams that we had heard were verbally committed to play UND last year, and then either backed out or were forced to back out: McNeese St., San Diego, Cal Poly.

Then think of just this offseason's droppings: Weber St., Iona (dropped football)

Who knows, perhaps UND does have every intention of playing both games with USF. But with the way scheduling works in college athletics, at the very least, it could be viewed as taking out an insurance policy.

Really - bigger joke?? Montana Tech was in our first year of transition not the second or 4th year. Our second year we had 11 game schedule with 1 - DII school and the rest were DI-AA - with Montana State, Southern ILL, NW State, Weber State, Nicholls State & the rest Great West teams. 6 home games and 5 away. You can spin it anyway you want but Faison scheduled it and I'm sure it will be crowd pleaser!!

Mussman said last fall after the St. Cloud game that none of the Minnesota schools will play UND in the future because of the nickname issue. I believe that's now a system-wide policy.

I think he was just saying that specifically about St. Cloud. I believe he jokingly referred to it as a "Minnesota rule", eluding to UM and St. Cloud only, who have both had problems with nickname for some time. UND has played UM-Crookston, Bemidji St., and Southwest St. in basketball and volleyball already this season. They've even competed with U of M at a swimming & diving meet........and finished ahead of them.

BTW, if USF was a DII in 2011, does it then make it acceptable???

No...It wouldn't make it acceptable to me if USF was DII. If UND is having trouble filling it's 2011 schedule after the 2010 season, or at the very least after the 2009 season, then go looking for NAIA/DII schools. I would have to think that a game against a DII or NAIA or even a DIII school wouldn't be that hard to come by that we need to schedule them three years out. As far as doing them a favor, fine we schedule them this year as an NAIA...I believe that's more than enough to be a favor. Going DI, I knew there would be scheduling difficulties and I accept that. I just can't understand making agreements with NAIA/DII? schools three years out. I would much rather schedule a "Central Connecticut State" or other lower FCS schools from elsewhere around the country.

Just in the last few days UND has added itself to the open dates on D2football.com:

The only D-II school that apparently has a matching open date is the University of Incarnate Word (San Antonio, TX) which has a brand new program opening play this fall. Probably not the best option.

This would seem to point to another 10-game schedule--this time with just four home games. Although I suppose we can hope that by "final" home game, it could be referring to a sixth?

This would seem to point to another 10-game schedule--this time with just four home games. Although I suppose we can hope that by "final" home game, it could be referring to a sixth?

We have 4 home games confirmed now, including USF. 5 away. I assume the "final home game" means for a DII to give us 5 home games. Hopefully they get that one, and maybe a sixth away game.

Still, I too think we may be lining up for yet another 10 game season.

Schedule Wiki