Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cberkas

2018-19 Non-UND College Hockey

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

How binding is a national letter of intent?

Once you've signed it, you can't go to another college unless you are released from it and the school can put conditions on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Once you've signed it, you can't go to another college unless you are released from it and the school can put conditions on it. 

JT Miller?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2018 at 8:33 AM, petey23 said:

He didn't go to another college?

Yeah I realized that after I posted.  But if National Letter of Intent is a binding contract, did he not break the contract?  but to get away from the JT Miller avenue, how iron clad is a National Letter of Intent?  Let's say the next boy wonder is persuade for reasons unknown to sign a National Letter of Intent to the Gophers, said boy wonder for reasons undisclosed wants to play for UND, can a legal team make this happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't call an NLI a "contract" else the player would be ... < wait for it > ... under contract. <-- PROFESSIONAL! 

It is merely a "binding agreement" ... :blink: :silly:

Quote

When you sign an NLI, you agree to attend the institution listed on the NLI for one academic year in exchange for that institution awarding athletics financial aid for one academic year.

"Binding Agreement" FAQs. 

 

In any other context a "binding agreement" to provide a service in exchange for something of value would be a contract. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Yeah I realized that after I posted.  But if National Letter of Intent is a binding contract, did he not break the contract?  but to get away from the JT Miller avenue, how iron clad is a National Letter of Intent?  Let's say the next boy wonder is persuade for reasons unknown to sign a National Letter of Intent to the Gophers, said boy wonder for reasons undisclosed wants to play for UND, can a legal team make this happen?

Pretty challenging, first, ask yourself if your smart enough to go to college?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Pretty challenging, first, ask yourself if your smart enough to go to college?

 Mafia in three, two ...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree 100% with the article, recruiting is happening way too early.  I am still trying to figure out how a 13 or 14 year old is even in a position to give a verbal commit.  According to the NCAA D1 Hockey recruiting rules a coach can't even call you until Jan 1 of your sophomore year.  I realize that you can call the coach at your own expense, but how awkward is that?  Oh, I'm sure there is back channel communications advising the recruit to call the coach.  Bunch of shady crap.  Maybe I am just the stupid one, my oldest is a sophomore I better get working the phones.

I also fail to see how well these players can be projected at such a young age.  I am watching it happen right now, one season can be a huge difference for a player in terms of their development.  How these guys can project 5 years out is beyond me.  The system leads to a lot of late developers falling through the cracks and many early developers not reaching their full potential because of the reasons stated in the article.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Pretty challenging, first, ask yourself if your smart enough to go to college?

not sure what you are driving at, is there something you want clarified?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2018 at 4:39 PM, SiouxScore said:

The gentleman's agreement is the stupidest thing ever. Makes no sens for a program like UND, Minnesota, Denver, Michigan, BC, BU to follow it. I'd be very much in favor of the UND staff continue to recruit whoever they think will help UND until that player has signed his NLI.

Agreed, it was developed to help the smaller schools.  Well they have caught up and there is more parity than ever before.  Some kids get better as they grow and mature, we should be able to talk to them until they sign their NLI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Don't call an NLI a "contract" else the player would be ... < wait for it > ... under contract. <-- PROFESSIONAL! 

It is merely a "binding agreement" ... :blink: :silly:

"Binding Agreement" FAQs. 

 

In any other context a "binding agreement" to provide a service in exchange for something of value would be a contract. 

Being that this kids are minors, can they actually be legally bound to the agreement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fabbro captain at BU next year.  How did they get a first rounder to stay 3 years. Crazy.  Chad Krys second rounder, he’s back too for a third year.... as well as their goalie.  They should be solid next year.

UMD has everyone back and SCSU didn’t lose nearly as much as I thought they would.  It’s gonna be tough sledding in the NCHC next year.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Fabbro captain at BU next year.  How did they get a first rounder to stay 3 years. Crazy.  Chad Krys second rounder, he’s back too for a third year.... as well as their goalie.  They should be solid next year.

UMD has everyone back and SCSU didn’t lose nearly as much as I thought they would.  It’s gonna be tough sledding in the NCHC next year.

I think Jimmy Schuldt is still undecided, according to the SC Times article I read. I’d guess he’ll be back though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Fabbro captain at BU next year.  How did they get a first rounder to stay 3 years. Crazy.  Chad Krys second rounder, he’s back too for a third year.... as well as their goalie.  They should be solid next year.

UMD has everyone back and SCSU didn’t lose nearly as much as I thought they would.  It’s gonna be tough sledding in the NCHC next year.

A little early to say that.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Fabbro captain at BU next year.  How did they get a first rounder to stay 3 years. Crazy.  Chad Krys second rounder, he’s back too for a third year.... as well as their goalie.  They should be solid next year.

UMD has everyone back and SCSU didn’t lose nearly as much as I thought they would.  It’s gonna be tough sledding in the NCHC next year.

It's always tough sledding in the NCHC.  Just ask Denver.  UMD does not have what I would say "has everyone back".  They have 6 seniors and Kuhlman and J. Thomas were key contributors.  With Anderson going early they have to be holding their breath on Tufte.  That being said, I am sure they will not be pushovers but numerous teams in the NCHC could very well have better years with UND being one of those teams.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 3:57 PM, franchise said:

Being that this kids are minors, can they actually be legally bound to the agreement?

Fabulous question. I don't know.
Does a minor's parent sign it as well? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×