SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

12 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Some of those buildings should have been knocked down years ago.

The space that will be available in the old med school is really going to screw with usage ratios.

Not all space is created equally.  Seems like many are assuming that the old med school represents thousands of useable, Class A, move-in ready, square footage, but I wonder if that's really the case.  It's an old building that has been significantly repurposed at least once.  And the retrofitting costs could be enormous.  There's a reason (or $130MM reasons) the med school wanted out, I reckon, and it probably had nothing to do with the old building's mint condition.

Does the administration need cadaver storage or a fume hood?  Wait...don't answer that. :)

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Not all space is created equally.  Seems like many are assuming that the old med school represents thousands of useable, Class A, move-in ready, square footage, but I wonder if that's really the case.  It's an old building that has been significantly repurposed at least once.  And the retrofitting costs could be enormous.  There's a reason (or $130MM reasons) the med school wanted out, I reckon, and it probably had nothing to do with the old building's mint condition.

Does the administration need cadaver storage or a fume hood?  Wait...don't answer that. :)

Don't disagree with any of that. However I'd guess some of the spaces currently being occupied aren't ideal and unfortunately I doubt the usage ratio that is used isn't likely going to differentiate on how "usable" a space is, just whether or not it is being used. If that is the case, makes sense to move whatever you can into the old med school and take the buildings you can offline.

47 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

At least part of the problem for the Med School was that they were being asked to increase the number of students, and they were already out of space. Some of the labs were being scheduled at almost twice their capacity. And the state wanted them to increase classes by 24% to make more doctors available in the state. They needed either a large addition, plus an upgrade in technology for the old school, or needed to replace it. The state legislature chose the new option as the best overall.

A lot of the space in the old Med School building has been remodeled in the past 10 or 15 years. It has office space and classroom space. It is a 60 year old building, but it is more than serviceable for a wide variety of programs, and will be an upgrade for many from their current homes.

2 hours ago, Siouxper Slam 29 said:

Does anyone know when Schafer is supposed to be signing off on the budget cuts?  Thought it was going to be yesterday but never heard anything.

He sent out an email about an hour ago saying that he was signing off on it with no changes and a 2 percent tuition increase.

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

0.5% may not seem like much, but to your average 5 year full-time student, a 0.5% tuition increase per year is going to add up to over $500. Nice to knock off a month's payment or 2, depending on debt load.

I don't know where you got your math lesson from but you are WRONG.   Tuition is $7965 per year, which figures to $39.82 per year, times 5 years amounts to $199.10.   I'm guessing you included room and board, which isn't part of tuition.

I'm quite disappointed that tuition is going up at all.   I don't see how these kids can keep borrowing to pay for school.    It gets pricey when you have to pay it back.

I suppose you could argue that you are quoting Non resident tuition,  and yes MN is higher too, but they don't pay $20,000 a year either

http://und.edu/admissions/undergraduate/costs-and-aid/

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TRex said:

I don't know where you got your math lesson from but you are WRONG.   Tuition is $7965 per year, which figures to $39.82 per year, times 5 years amounts to $199.10.   I'm guessing you included room and board, which isn't part of tuition.

I'm quite disappointed that tuition is going up at all.   I don't see how these kids can keep borrowing to pay for school.    It gets pricey when you have to pay it back.

I said 0.5% per year. Keeping it simple and not doing the added work of compounding interest, we're talking $40 year one, $80 year 2, $120 year 3, etc. for a total of $600.

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

I said 0.5% per year. Keeping it simple and not doing the added work of compounding interest, we're talking $40 year one, $80 year 2, $120 year 3, etc. for a total of $600.

I just got done editing my earlier post, but $40 a year times 5 is still $200, not $600.

Just now, TRex said:

I just got done editing my earlier post, but $40 a year times 5 is still $200, not $600.

My calculation was for an additional 0.5% increase every year. So year 1 is $40, year 2 charge continues the $40 plus an additional $40, year 3 continues the $80 plus an additional $40, year 4 continues the $120 plus an additional $40...

14 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

My calculation was for an additional 0.5% increase every year. So year 1 is $40, year 2 charge continues the $40 plus an additional $40, year 3 continues the $80 plus an additional $40, year 4 continues the $120 plus an additional $40...

Maybe there's a UNDMATH poster we can consult?

• Upvote 2

2% for everyone except Med and Law which are going up 2.5%. Yay, we just increased this past year too right? 

On 4/26/2016 at 11:39 PM, 82SiouxGuy said:

At least part of the problem for the Med School was that they were being asked to increase the number of students, and they were already out of space. Some of the labs were being scheduled at almost twice their capacity. And the state wanted them to increase classes by 24% to make more doctors available in the state. They needed either a large addition, plus an upgrade in technology for the old school, or needed to replace it. The state legislature chose the new option as the best overall.

A lot of the space in the old Med School building has been remodeled in the past 10 or 15 years. It has office space and classroom space. It is a 60 year old building, but it is more than serviceable for a wide variety of programs, and will be an upgrade for many from their current homes.

Yes the Med School was running out of space for everything. I have heard anatomy is staying at the old building as well. Some programs that are apart of the SMHS don't even have offices or their own classrooms in the current med school. I know Occupational Therapy and Athletic Training will have some resources move from Hyslop to the new med school. How much I don't know, as the Hyslop will still be a base for both i assume.

6 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Maybe there's a UNDMATH poster we can consult?

I've taken algebra, geometry, trig, statistics, calculus, linear algebra and all those memories are telling me fast Eddie could of stuck the students for a half percent more of the tuition increase, but didn't. So, in a budget scalpel surgery like this, with the Medical School helping and paying the full 2.5 % increase in tuition, the majority of students have a little less burden than most might have lately expected.  And by the way where could of Eddie got the respirator for Baseball Program?

1 minute ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I've taken algebra, geometry, trig, statistics, calculus, linear algebra and all those memories are telling me fast Eddie could of stuck the students for a half percent more of the tuition increase, but didn't. So, in a budget scalpel surgery like this, with the Medical School helping and paying the full 2.5 % increase in tuition, the majority of students have a little less burden than most might have lately expected.  And by the way where could of Eddie got the respirator for the Baseball Program?

Maybe you should have taken a class to help with your sense of humor?

The ND SBoHE chimes in:
http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/4020258-higher-ed-board-critiques-budget-cuts-talks-und-music-therapy-suspension

" ... this is one round of budget cuts and I don't think it's going to get better in the next year or two," ... 

... some board members said they were surprised they hadn't heard more about universities working together to meet the budget demands.

"From all of the cuts, I heard one instance* of any kind of partnership to create cost savings," SBHE member Nick Hacker said. "Frankly, I'm disappointed."

*Interim UND President Ed Schafer said he is partnering with Lake Region State College to supplement the potential elimination of the American Sign Language program.

" ... this is one round of budget cuts and I don't think it's going to get better in the next year or two," ... 

So with UND going above and beyond (for various reasons), is it just going to be easier to manage the next round of cuts or will they be given any leeway because they trimmed beyond what was required in this round?

I hope McFeely goes back and asks his "sources" at NDSU about how financially stable they are.  Like I mentioned when he wrote the article, my neighbor works on their campus and people are very nervous and aware cuts are going to happen or need to happen.  He also mentioned that could be why some recent contracts and things got finalized before any expenses started to be examined.   

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

So with UND going above and beyond (for various reasons), is it just going to be easier to manage the next round of cuts or will they be given any leeway because they trimmed beyond what was required in this round?

I wouldn't expect leeway (the number is the number and you have to hit the number), but I suspect the groundwork is/has been done at UND by Schafer's moves and when (not if according that Board member) the next State mandate budget cuts happen UND will be prepared to just manage the plan already put in place. 

I do like how Schafer did have goodwill built up by having a plan for Sign Language with LRCC. It's like Ed knows what State officials are going to say/think/ask before they do it.