SiouxSports.com Forum

The Nickel Trophy

Blackheart

How many hockey schools are full DI in all sports? You have to take that into account.

Why? If they fund hockey at the D-1 level and participate in the postseason tournament, what does it have to do with the rest of their athletic department? I should have pointed out that the 6 Ivy League hockey schools don't offer scholarships but do participate in the playoffs. And on the FCS side in the Patriot League, 6 of the 7 schools just started offering scholarships in 2012.

How many hockey schools are full DI in all sports? You have to take that into account.

Why? Schools like Duluth and St Cloud might be lower level institutions in other sports but they compete at the same level in hockey and have an equal shot at a championship. That's not the case with the Pioneer, Ivy, SWAC, and most of the Patriot teams. Those schools do not compete for the FCS title and are FCS in name only. The number of teams competing for an FCS title vs a D1 hockey title are fairly close. The two accomplishments are basically the same thing; a college sports championship that 90% of the country doesn't give a damn about.

Anyways, who else thinks the Nickel Trophy should be in public view in the Alerus? Just anywhere in the public eye, I would love to see it in person.

Seen it, held it. Easiest way to display it would be in a case that you can see it on all sides then there is no pissing match about what side is facing out. So the next question is where does it get displayed? On campus, the Alerus, the state museum in Bismarck?

Why? Schools like Duluth and St Cloud might be smaller institutions but they compete at the same level and have an equal shot at a championship. That's not the case with the Pioneer, Ivy, SWAC, and most of the Patriot teams. Those schools do not compete for the FCS title and are FCS in name only. The number of teams competing for an FCS title vs a D1 hockey title are fairly close. The two accomplishments are basically the same thing; a college sports championship that 90% of the country doesn't give a damn about.

I believe St. Cloud State's enrollment is larger than FUs. Don't know that enrollment comes into play - plenty of big players in NCAA basketball don't have large enrollments.

Better yet, let's compare professional sports contracts. Who has more players at the top level of their sport?

Toews, Oshie, Parise, etc... All making big dollar contracts.

Who is a "big boy" in college hockey? Why, UND, that's who! When college hockey is mentioned, UND is a known player in that sport.

FCS is fine. But, it's tier II football.

How about let's not. No one said FCS football is more successful than the NHL. Also, you obviously know the NHL is far more popular than college hockey. Simply look at national television contracts: NHL is well represented whereas college hockey certainly is not. Also, college basketball and college football are well televised nationally. Again, college hockey is not.

For the players, college hockey is worth it because it brings them to the major stage: the NHL. FCS football may not have the same amount of professional athletes as college hockey, but that's simply because of availability. Far less colleges participate in hockey relative to football, so there naturally is greater competition. The reason more colleges compete in football than hockey: the popularity and revenue. Obviously that is a bit restricted at UND because football can only get so big.

College hockey is great (especially UND hockey!), but there's no reason to belittle FCS football with it. FCS football is essentially identical to college hockey in following and support.

• Upvote 3

I believe St. Cloud State's enrollment is larger than FUs. Don't know that enrollment comes into play - plenty of big players in NCAA basketball don't have large enrollments.

I was going for lower level but I wasn't very clear. The argument doesn't change. Do the basketball accomplishments of Georgetown, Villanova, and Butler get diminished because their other sports aren't at the same level? No.

How about let's not. No one said FCS football is more successful than the NHL. Also, you obviously know the NHL is far more popular than college hockey. Simply look at national television contracts: NHL is well represented whereas college hockey certainly is not. Also, college basketball and college football are well televised nationally. Again, college hockey is not.

For the players, college hockey is worth it because it brings them to the major stage: the NHL. FCS football may not have the same amount of professional athletes as college hockey, but that's simply because of availability. Far less colleges participate in hockey relative to football, so there naturally is greater competition. The reason more colleges compete in football than hockey: the popularity and revenue. Obviously that is a bit restricted at UND because football can only get so big.

College hockey is great (especially UND hockey!), but there's no reason to belittle FCS football with it. FCS football is essentially identical to college hockey in following and support.

No. Let's do.

Far more people attend and support high school basketball in the United States than the NBA. High school football than the NFL. That doesn't mean high school basketball and football are at a higher level.

Insecurity about FCS is on you. Sorry you feel butthurt that FCS is tier II. It is. That's the way it is. I support UND in FCS. But, it's tier II football. The percentage of players in the NFL from FCS is much less than the percentage of hockey players from D-I hockey that are in the NHL. That's reality.

UND is one of the big boys in college hockey. The University of Agriculture and Applied Science is not a big boy in college football. Fact. Not fiction.

Drunk, fat and stupid is no way to go through life. Especially in Fargo.

Seen it, held it. Easiest way to display it would be in a case that you can see it on all sides then there is no pissing match about what side is facing out. So the next question is where does it get displayed? On campus, the Alerus, the state museum in Bismarck?

I'd like to see it in the Alerus Center next to the large UND football sign by the front door. Display it standing up in a glass case with a sign that shows the scores from every Nickel Trophy game.

No. Let's do.

Far more people attend and support high school basketball in the United States than the NBA. High school football than the NFL. That doesn't mean high school basketball and football are at a higher level.

Insecurity about FCS is on you. Sorry you feel butthurt that FCS is tier II. It is. That's the way it is. I support UND in FCS. But, it's tier II football. The percentage of players in the NFL from FCS is much less than the percentage of hockey players from D-I hockey that are in the NHL. That's reality.

UND is one of the big boys in college hockey. The University of Agriculture and Applied Science is not a big boy in college football. Fact. Not fiction.

Drunk, fat and stupid is no way to go through life. Especially in Fargo.

Perhaps we should try a little something called common sense.

Football, in general, is far more popular and successful than hockey within this country.

We can continue to debate the FCS vs. NCAA hockey thing if you want, but I'd rather look at it like this.

Tier II football equals DI collegiate hockey. This is because tier I football is way way out of the league of college hockey. No comparison.

Furthermore, it is possible for FCS football to put our school and athletic program on the map nationally, even amongst your beloved tier I schools.

Unfortunately, it's already been done 70 miles south of us.

Take a look: http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/dennis-dodd/24156447/no-fbs-fcs-north-dakota-state-is-fbs-top-25-caliber

Football, in general, is far more popular and successful than hockey within this country.

We can continue to debate the FCS vs. NCAA hockey thing if you want, but I'd rather look at it like this.

Tier II football equals DI collegiate hockey. This is because tier I football is way way out of the league of college hockey. No comparison.

Furthermore, it is possible for FCS football to put our school and athletic program on the map nationally, even amongst your beloved tier I schools.

Take a look: http://mweb.cbssport...-top-25-caliber

What map are you looking at anyway? How about internationally? Look at the Olympics. Where are the FCS athletes on the world stage? I'll never understand why a UND "fan" would belittle the successes of the hockey program....or any of our programs for that matter. If we had a world class Croquet Team, I would not be going on UND chat boards, siding with FU fans, and belittling the successes of the Croquet Program using the misguided logic that it's not as important as other sports. SMH. Hockey is Hockey. Football is football. Croquet is croquet. Being the best at the highest level offered in your sport is something to be proud of, not something to be belittled by going full retard on meaningless stats.

Take a look: http://mweb.cbssport...-top-25-caliber

Common sense?

That's funny. FCS is, by all accounts, is tier II college football. You bury your head in the sand and refuse to admit it is as such.

Over 30% of the NHL rosters are filled with college hockey players. FCS football doesn't even come close to that percentage in the NFL.

Bohl is the reason that opinion piece was written. He's a Wyoming Cowboy now. He went FBS, but Wyoming isn't even a top FBS program, much less in a top conference in FBS. More proof that the university to the south isn't even close to being a top program in college football.

Yup.. common sense dictates the truth. UND is a top college hockey school. FU isn't even close to being a top football school by any measure.

Common sense?

That's funny. FCS is, by all accounts, is tier II college football. You bury your head in the sand and refuse to admit it is as such.

Over 30% of the NHL rosters are filled with college hockey players. FCS football doesn't even come close to that percentage in the NFL.

Bohl is the reason that opinion piece was written. He's a Wyoming Cowboy now. He went FBS, but Wyoming isn't even a top FBS program, much less in a top conference in FBS. More proof that the university to the south isn't even close to being a top program in college football.

Yup.. common sense dictates the truth. UND is a top college hockey school. FU isn't even close to being a top football school by any measure.

College hockey's relative lack of a national fanbase, and FCS not being the top tier of college football and limited fanbase...are not valid reasons for anyone to try to diminish the accomplishments of either program.

What map are you looking at anyway? How about internationally? Look at the Olympics. Where are the FCS athletes on the world stage? I'll never understand why a UND "fan" would belittle the successes of the hockey program....or any of our programs for that matter. If we had a world class Croquet Team, I would not be going on UND chat boards, siding with FU fans, and belittling the successes of the Croquet Program using the misguided logic that it's not as important as other sports. SMH. Hockey is Hockey. Football is football. Croquet is croquet. Being the best at the highest level offered in your sport is something to be proud of, not something to be belittled by going full retard on meaningless stats.

As I stated in my earlier post, in the United States (which is what I meant by "football, in general, is far more popular and successful than hockey within this country.") football is considered the more popular sport. This does indeed change when dealing internationally.

Comparing collegiate hockey to FCS football is not "belittling" UND hockey, but rather it simply portrays two NCAA classifications (DI hockey and FCS [D-1AA] football) possessed by UND that both deserve recognition and respect. There is no reason to say collegiate hockey is greater than FCS football. With that said, UND is certainly a more established hockey school and that goes without debate.

Again, bringing up different sports along with hypothetical situations does not prove I am criticizing UND hockey. I attend nearly every home UND hockey game and enthusiastically support the team each and every year. With that said, I understand it doesn't make UND hockey any more popular in terms of national perception.

Lastly, I would like to say "going full retard" is perhaps a bit unnecessary and inappropriate. Statistics show that football is the most popular and successful sport in the United States, so why not embrace FCS football and UND football. I personally believe FCS football and collegiate hockey are extremely similar. Simply stating one is played at the highest level and the other isn't does not work in this case because of football's national status.

• Upvote 2

There is no question that in general football is much more popular than hockey. It ain't even close.

UND hockey is the highest level of college hockey available. Kids grow up dreaming of playing for UND or BC or U of M...

Nobody dreams of playing in the second tier. If a local kid has the option of playing at Alabama, Notre Dame... we aren't winning many of those battles.

To play this level of football you need to be an exceptional athlete. No question about that. I am not belittling them at all. But winning at this level is quite different than being the best college team in the nation. I'd equate it to winning the net division opposed to the scratch./gross division.

I frankly thought that NDSU should use their success to try to transition up.

• Upvote 1

As I stated in my earlier post, in the United States (which is what I meant by "football, in general, is far more popular and successful than hockey within this country.") football is considered the more popular sport. This does indeed change when dealing with international sports.

Comparing collegiate hockey to FCS football is not "belittling" UND hockey, but rather it simply portrays two NCAA classifications (DI hockey and FCS [D-1AA] football) possessed by UND that both deserve recognition and respect. There is no reason to say collegiate hockey is greater than FCS football. With that said, UND is certainly a more established hockey school and that goes without debate.

Again, bringing up different sports along with hypothetical situations does not prove I am criticizing UND hockey. I attend nearly every home UND hockey game and enthusiastically support the team each and every year. With that said, I understand it doesn't make UND hockey any more popular than what it is already perceived nationally.

Lastly, I would like to say to "going full retard" is perhaps a bit unnecessary and inappropriate. Statistics show that football is the most popular and successful sport in the United States, so why not embrace FCS football and UND football. I personally believe FCS football and collegiate hockey are extremely similar. Simply stating one is played at the highest level and the other isn't does not work in this case because of football's national status.

At the same time the bison fans that believe ndsu football bears a bigger impact on ofootball than und does to hockey are greatly mistaken. To compare und hockey to ndsu football is quite simply putting und hockey down. Und hockey>ndsu football.

• Upvote 1

Common sense?

Without question I acknowledged that FCS football is tier II football, but like I said earlier, due to the national status of football, I believe collegiate hockey is not superior relative to FCS football.

Professional pipelines do not make FCS football a lesser classification and sport. Again, there is greater competition for the NFL because it is a nationally acclaimed game.

I am not trying in anyway to criticize UND's hockey program, because it is a top 5 athletics program, and as a UND graduate and North Dakota resident, I am very proud of that; however, I also do not condone criticism of FCS football via NCAA hockey.

There is a bit of a misconception here I believe. I am not stating that UND football is greater than UND hockey, but rather I am saying FCS football is on par with DI collegiate hockey. The average FCS program spends the same amount as the average DI college hockey program. In my estimation, the average FCS and DI hockey budget is around $2 to $2.5 million.

In conclusion, to end on a postive note, let's all be appreciative that the University of North Dakota has a higher than average budget in both FCS football and DI hockey - that is something to be proud of.

Go Sioux!

Outsiders are wrong. Football and basketball are king in north Dakota...whether that be at the high school level or college is irrelevant.

Outsiders are wrong. Football and basketball are king in north Dakota...whether that be at the high school level or college is irrelevant.

Since when? If you are saying Football or Basketball at NDSU is king...how many years have they been selling out their stadium? You might be mistaken with the fair weather/band wagon jumpers....

• Upvote 1