SiouxSports.com Forum

The Nickel Trophy

Blackheart

I'm going to revisit this ridiculous topic again only in minor detail. In my opinion, the game not being played annually is nothing more than complete childish behavior on the part of Gene Taylor. There also is a sense of entitlement and arrogance in Fargo that prevents it from getting done. If/when NDSU sinks back down to mediocrity over the next few years, the game will hopefully look more appealing to Ag School AD employees.

Otherwise, the focus will need to be on us (UND). NDSU-topics are the only school-related topics that spark debate with the UND-faithful other than UND-centered topics themselves (realistically, other "rival schools", such as Montana and Montana State, haven't got there yet). If that in itself doesn't persuade individuals that the rivalry is a sleeping giant, then I don't know what will.

As far as Kolpack goes, he's nothing more than an NDSU die-hard in the Fargo media. There's absolutely zero neutrality with him. Nearly ANY student currently at NDSU from North Dakota would know about the [former] UND-NDSU rivalry and the Nickel Trophy. As a North Dakota resident, I know the rivalry talk still goes on strong within the state, and I presume most 18-22 year old North Dakota kids are also well informed of the rivalry.

Nope. They know NDSU and UND used to play in football. Many of them don't know a trophy was involved or what kind of trophy was involved. Simply put....we were anywhere from 7-11 the last time the teams played in football. Can't be surprised kids don't remember stuff from that long ago.

In 2004 UND cut ties with both the SU's when they moved up since then SDSU has played UND in every sport INCLUDING football, NDSU has played UND in every sport EXCEPT football. Now explain why Gene Taylor can't get UND on a home and home will SDSU, and now USD can? Answer...to scared of the consequences of an upset. Bison fans would have loved to put 50+ on UND's poor defense but he never got the game scheduled. And as for fans not knowing about the Nickel Trophy that's just plain ignorance on Kolpack.

Because apparently there is only one Div 1 University in North Dakota. Just ask your new volleyball coach.

The battle for the trophy is over - even if they play how could they justify playing for a trophy that has an icon on it that has been retired and for some is considered mis-use of Native Americans - if UND and USD can't play for Sitting Bully anymore I can't see how the anti-nickname crowd would ever allow for a game to be played with a Sioux logo on it.

• Upvote 2

The battle for the trophy is over - even if they play how could they justify playing for a trophy that has an icon on it that has been retired and for some is considered mis-use of Native Americans - if UND and USD can't play for Sitting Bully anymore I can't see how the anti-nickname crowd would ever allow for a game to be played with a Sioux logo on it.

And when next year UND will have a new name and logo the Nickel should just be placed in a trophy case with the 2001 NCAA National Championship trophy, and the Sitting Bull Trophy at the Alerus Center.

And when next year UND will have a new name and logo the Nickel should just be placed in a trophy case with the 2001 NCAA National Championship trophy, and the Sitting Bull Trophy at the Alerus Center.

Some football programs have to hold onto Division 2 trophies, while others have Division 1 trophies to display.

Some football programs have to hold onto Division 2 trophies, while others have Division 1 trophies to display.

So NDSU got rid of all their DII trophies in football and women's basketball? You do know that Fargo landfill is filling up, or did they recycle them.

it is filling up rather quickly with all of the ndsu garbage spewing out of your mouth.

What NDSU garbage? I simply said UND need to take the Nickel, the Sitting Bull Trophy, and their NCAA Championship trophy from 01 and put it on display at the Alerus Center. What's wrong with that???

What NDSU garbage? I simply said UND need to take the Nickel, the Sitting Bull Trophy, and their NCAA Championship trophy from 01 and put it on display at the Alerus Center. What's wrong with that???

Nothing wrong with that. Do they display the nickel with the Bison or the Sioux Head exposed, since they have moved away from the mascot?

Great idea - and since the Alerus is a public building if it were to be stolen it would be considered a crime. But with job openings at Best Buy and as petition signature takers drying up there might be some looking for a job like this that fits their skills.

You can't play for a trophy without the team name. No Indian head (Sioux), the trophy should be retired.

And some football programs are in for a rude awakening when the Division 1 titles stop coming and "that other school in North Dakota" starts contending for Division 1 trophies of their own. :glare:

Just keep running your mouth, son. Your day is coming. :angry:

• Upvote 1

And some schools like to display the highest level of division one national championship trophies opposed to those inconsequential, best of the lousiest, subdivision things...

And some schools like to display the highest level of division one national championship trophies opposed to those inconsequential, best of the lousiest, subdivision things...

This attitude from hockey fans is embarrassing and laughable. FCS is Division 1 and happens to be the same level of competition that UND (the same school you cheer for in hockey) plays at. Are you a "UND Fan" or a "UND Hockey Fan"? If you don't care about lousy subdivision FCS football, then just stay in the hockey forum until you can come up with some better smack.

• Upvote 3

This attitude from hockey fans is embarrassing and laughable. FCS is Division 1 and happens to be the same level of competition that UND (the same school you cheer for in hockey) plays at. Are you a "UND Fan" or a "UND Hockey Fan"? If you don't care about lousy subdivision FCS football, then just stay in the hockey forum until you can come up with some better smack.

^^^^ this

I'm a UND fanatic, but I do realize that our football team won't be competing against the big boys. It's just the way it is.

I'm a UND fanatic, but I do realize that our football team won't be competing against the big boys. It's just the way it is.

Hockey doesn't have "big boys" because it's not a popular collegiate sport relative to football, basketball, and even baseball.

Also, our team gets to compete against an FBS team nearly season, along with playing top 10 FCS teams which are often just as good as half the FBS teams.