SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

I did not see St Cloud trapping in what I was watching, although I quit watching both games before they were over. Having dmen jump into the rush to score goals is not a characteristic of any trap that I know of- left wing or a 1-2-2 or 1-1-3 forecheck.

The measure of Hak as a coach will be can he get it done with a more "average" talent club

I never saw them trap either...at least not the traditional trap. They simply beat a team which lacked the motivation to beat another good team.

I think Hakstol's orthodoxy worked in the WCHA with teams like Anchorage, Tech and Bemidji. I don't think it will work as well in the NCHC with some of the teams (Miami, Denver, CC) we'll see week in and week out. But I guess all we can do is sit back and watch.

So Hakstol's orthodoxy worked in the WCHA (Bemidji wasn't even a member for the bulk of his coaching tenure) but it won't work against the five former WCHA conference opponents anymore because they now have NCHC patches on their jerseys?

serious question

whens the last time hak has had a team that has over achieved?

he has had a number of teams under achieved.

Well, in order to judge whether a team has over or under-achieved we would need to know the standard they were held to prior to the season. Can we accurately judge that? Or, is any team that didn't win a natty considered an underachiever? The only way to really evaluate something like this would be to compare preseason media and coaches polls to how the team finished that particular year. However, we all know how flawed early season polls are, so it is an inaccurate measure at best.

Care to take a shot at labeling all of Hak's seasons?

So Hakstol's orthodoxy worked in the WCHA (Bemidji wasn't even a member for the bulk of his coaching tenure) but it won't work against the five former WCHA conference opponents anymore because they now have NCHC patches on their jerseys?

This may not be totally accurate, but it should be close. I scanned the schedule posted on undsports.com year by year to find the results. This list includes all games against current NCHC teams since Hakstol became the head coach, including all tournaments, with the exception of this seasons games. You can add them in yourself if you are interested.

St. Cloud 23-11-7

Duluth 20-8-3

Colorado College 14-11-1

Denver 16-15-2

UNO 5-3

Miami 1-0-1

Western Michigan 1-0-0

Totals 80-48-14

This includes a total record of 12-5 against these teams in conference or national tournaments.

Records against current NCHC teams by year

04-05 7-8-1

05-06 11-5

06-07 7-3-3

07-08 9-5-2

08-09 6-4-3

09-10 10-7-1

10-11 12-5-1

11-12 10-5

12-13 8-6-3

I'll take the bait...

2004-2005: Overachieve. First year head coach with Blaiser's recruits. One very skilled (NHL) line, one skilled and experienced line, and awesome D. Its an overachieve, because the prior year was stacked (Parise, Bochenski) and this team made it all the way to the title game when they appeared to be a weaker team than the prior year.

2005-2006: Underachieve. Probably the most stacked team in Sioux history NHL talent wise. This team won the Final 5 and made it to the Frozen Four, but looking back this team was loaded and should've won a title. Period.

2006-2007: Underachieve. The potent DOT line year. Frozen Four, but no other hardware.

2007-2008: Underachieve. The pact year. Frozen Four, but no other hardware.

2008-2009: Overachieve. This team won the WCHA, surprisingly.

2009- 2010: Achieve. This team lost Chay to injury. Came back to win the Final Five.

2010- 2011: Underachieve. Pony Express team. Nothing other than a national title for this team would be acceptable.

2011-2012: Achieve. If you consider the injuries at the end of they year, it might be an overachieve to have won the Final Five. For what that's worth.

2012-2013: Achieve. This team would go as far as Kristo and Knight could take them. For being a one trick pony, the season's results were about right.

So, by my measure. We have 4 underachieves and 2 overachieves with 3 teams having years about how they should've. 2 underachieves by my measure were the best teams in the country (05-06 and 10-11) and should've won titles, and another underachieve (06-07) was maybe not the best team in the country, but certainly had the best line and could've won the NCAA with a great tournament.

Not saying to fire Hak, I'm just giving my two-cent evaluation on the teams' performances. Winning a natty the two years where I say we had the best team in the country, and nobody is calling for Dave's head.

• Upvote 2

I think that's a pretty fair assessment, Yzerman. I definitely agree with the 05-05 and 10-11 teams. I would bump the 11-12 team into the overachieve category.

Also, if one of the overachieve years had been a natty, nobody would be complaining. That's what Blais was able to do. He had a couple teams that by all rights should've won it all but didn't. He was simply able to get his overachievers to the top....with a little help, of course (Michigan choked in '97).

I'll take the bait...

2004-2005: Overachieve. First year head coach with Blaiser's recruits. One very skilled (NHL) line, one skilled and experienced line, and awesome D. Its an overachieve, because the prior year was stacked (Parise, Bochenski) and this team made it all the way to the title game when they appeared to be a weaker team than the prior year.

2005-2006: Underachieve. Probably the most stacked team in Sioux history NHL talent wise. This team won the Final 5 and made it to the Frozen Four, but looking back this team was loaded and should've won a title. Period.

2006-2007: Underachieve. The potent DOT line year. Frozen Four, but no other hardware.

2007-2008: Underachieve. The pact year. Frozen Four, but no other hardware.

2008-2009: Overachieve. This team won the WCHA, surprisingly.

2009- 2010: Achieve. This team lost Chay to injury. Came back to win the Final Five.

2010- 2011: Underachieve. Pony Express team. Nothing other than a national title for this team would be acceptable.

2011-2012: Achieve. If you consider the injuries at the end of they year, it might be an overachieve to have won the Final Five. For what that's worth.

2012-2013: Achieve. This team would go as far as Kristo and Knight could take them. For being a one trick pony, the season's results were about right.

So, by my measure. We have 4 underachieves and 2 overachieves with 3 teams having years about how they should've. 2 underachieves by my measure were the best teams in the country (05-06 and 10-11) and should've won titles, and another underachieve (06-07) was maybe not the best team in the country, but certainly had the best line and could've won the NCAA with a great tournament.

Not saying to fire Hak, I'm just giving my two-cent evaluation on the teams' performances. Winning a natty the two years where I say we had the best team in the country, and nobody is calling for Dave's head.

If they were a one-trick pony last year, then if the Sioux finish .500 this year it should be considered an overachieve.

It's just as early for st cloud...

True, but do you think there are fans for SCSU sayings "we are going to win it all, look at how good they are" then there is the reasonable fans that come back and say " whoa whoa whoa, its way to early to be that confident"... Just saying..

but its so early...

That's what I have been waiting to hear. Not that I disagree but this is typically the excuse one hears until the Christmas break...because we all knows what happens after the break! ;)

If Hak was fired I wonder who would want a job that they are going to get fired from if they don't win a national in a set time frame? There have been only 19 teams that have won in 65 years. Of course they would get plenty of people who would want the job. How many though would have reservations about wanting to coach under that kind of pressure as an outsider in a very incestual situation?

I didn't bother reading though this thread but NO, it is NOT time to fire Hak. SCSU is a good team this year and we are young. What do you really expect?

The football coaching situation needs to be addressed right now and the hockey season is early. Settle in because it is a long hockey season and these young guys will build chemistry.

Our lines aren't even clicking yet and I'm not sure the coaching staff has definite lines yet developed. We went against a solid WCHA team who has a large amount of Jr.s and Sr.s and they don't take anytime off during the game. Our youth hurt us because we had two definite 5 min portions of periods where we stood around and let them physically dominate us and shoot on our goalie. When we start to play a full game, the hard work will pay off and the line chemistry will start to produce results.

Our lines aren't even clicking yet and I'm not sure the coaching staff has definite lines yet developed. We went against a solid NCHC team who has a large amount of Jr.s and Sr.s and they don't take anytime off during the game. Our youth hurt us because we had two definite 5 min portions of periods where we stood around and let them physically dominate us and shoot on our goalie. When we start to play a full game, the hard work will pay off and the line chemistry will start to produce results.

Fixed your post.

We went against a solid WCHA team who has a large amount of Jr.s and Sr.s and they don't take anytime off during the game. Our youth hurt us because we had two definite 5 min portions of periods where we stood around and let them physically dominate us and shoot on our goalie.

Yet we have a large amount of Jr's that did practically nothing...