SiouxSports.com Forum

Random Nickname Ideas

GeauxSioux

So far, I'm on board with Warriors or Arrows.  I think both of those go along well with our current allowed imagry (i.e. Sioux heads, Sitting Bull statue), but doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with Indians. Please, no animals of any kind.  One possibilty that I have not seen anywhere is the Auroras, as in the northern lights.  That is definitely regional, and their predominant color is green.

Let's just say that UND still wants to remember its history with having the Sioux name and wants to choose a name that honors that.  What are the chances of the Standing Rock and Spirit Lake tribes suggesting and getting behind a name that is part of their heritage and that they felt would be appropriate for UND to use as a nickname.  Obviously anything relating to Sioux or any names given to their people they will not support (at least at SR).  But let's say they came up with a native american symbol, animal, name, etc that they fully supported and put it in writing and awarded it to UND.  There would be no way that the NCAA could say that a name picked by native american tribes in the state could be deemed hostile and abbusive.  I thnk that this option should at least be considered. 

Let's just say that UND still wants to remember its history with having the Sioux name and wants to choose a name that honors that. What are the chances of the Standing Rock and Spirit Lake tribes suggesting and getting behind a name that is part of their heritage and that they felt would be appropriate for UND to use as a nickname. Obviously anything relating to Sioux or any names given to their people they will not support (at least at SR). But let's say they came up with a native american symbol, animal, name, etc that they fully supported and put it in writing and awarded it to UND. There would be no way that the NCAA could say that a name picked by native american tribes in the state could be deemed hostile and abbusive. I thnk that this option should at least be considered.

I would think you need the Turtle Mtn Chippewa at that table, they won't allow to be excluded.

Let's just say that UND still wants to remember its history with having the Sioux name and wants to choose a name that honors that.  What are the chances of the Standing Rock and Spirit Lake tribes suggesting and getting behind a name that is part of their heritage and that they felt would be appropriate for UND to use as a nickname.  Obviously anything relating to Sioux or any names given to their people they will not support (at least at SR).  But let's say they came up with a native american symbol, animal, name, etc that they fully supported and put it in writing and awarded it to UND.  There would be no way that the NCAA could say that a name picked by native american tribes in the state could be deemed hostile and abbusive.  I thnk that this option should at least be considered. 

You'd still be at the whim of a change of opinion from multiple tribal councils for eternity.  Nothing to stop a future council from revoking the support.  I'll pass on that opportunity.

Standing Rock chose to stay on the sidelines during the Sioux nickname debate, effectively killing it. IMO, that's where they can remain during the new nickname selection.

Spirit Lake stayed on the sidelines before the settlement, so they can stay on the sidelines too.

Please...please...please...can we just put to bed anything related to or any involvement with NAs in this new nickname process.  That is the last group I want to hear from or have involved in anyway, shape or form.

• Upvote 3

Please...please...please...can we just put to bed anything related to or any involvement with NAs in this new nickname process. That is the last group I want to hear from or have involved in anyway, shape or form.

Now, now, now, Oxbow6, we're striving to be all-inclusive with this nickname process. President Kelley himself at this very moment is seeking volunteers from the cross-dressing circus midget and the vegetarian Satan-worshiper communities in North Dakota to assist in the effort.

Now, now, now, Oxbow6, we're striving to be all-inclusive with this nickname process. President Kelley himself at this very moment is seeking volunteers from the cross-dressing circus midget and the vegetarian Satan-worshiper communities in North Dakota to assist in the effort.

Did they get the satan worshiper from Devils Lake. ;)

Please...please...please...can we just put to bed anything related to or any involvement with NAs in this new nickname process. That is the last group I want to hear from or have involved in anyway, shape or form.

They had their say between 2005 and 2010 but one was a little late to the party (SL) and one never showed (SR). We will never be the Sioux so they (all sovereign nations) can stay out.