SiouxSports.com Forum

2006/2007 Women's Basketball

4siouxnow

Championship game on Sunday moved to 5pm...but point well taken

If USD wins, I bet there is a good chance that the Championship game will not be played. Both USD and, of course, UND are in the Regional so the game really doesn't mean too much. If UNO wins, they will need to come to GF. I fully agree - they would be worn-out!

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised that no one has posted this yet but USD beat UNO 73 - 58. For some reason the article doesn't mention much about the game tomorrow (today). I would assume it is still at 5. I'll be there with bells on!

According to today's Argus Leader, USD was planning to travel about halfway to Grand Forks after last night's game (probably didn't get on the road before 10 P.M.), and the rest of the way today. Their second-leading scorer, Jeana Hoffman, was injured last night and is doubtful. They are planning on staying in Grand Forks all week in anticipation of the regional being here next weekend.

It should be very interesting to see who gets the final two spots in the regional. Here are the final regional rankings, and the results since then:

1. North Dakota 24-3 15-3 (beat UMD)

2. Augustana (South Dakota) 19-5 17-3 (lost to UNO)

3. South Dakota 16-7 15-7 (beat MSU-Mankato, beat UNO)

4. Regis (Colorado) 19-5 18-3 (beat Mesa St., beat Kearney)

5. Metropolitan State 22-5 17-5 (beat Colorado Mines, beat CSU-Pueblo)

6. Concordia-St. Paul 16-9 14-8 (beat SW MN St., beat Wayne St.)

7. Nebraska-Kearney 17-8 17-7 (beat Western St., lost to Regis)

8. Northern State 16-7 16-6 (beat Bemidji St., lost to MSU-Moorhead)

9. St. Cloud State 13-10 11-10 (lost to UMD)

10. Minnesota State Moorhead 16-8 13-7 (beat Upper Iowa, beat Northern St.)

I think the top six are clearly in, and Moorhead has probably played themselves in by beating Northern in the NSIC tournament, and finishing ahead of them in the conference. That leaves Northern vs. Kearney for the last spot. Considering both went 1-1 in their conference tournament, it would be hard to justify Northern jumping them. Both teams have one very impressive non-conference win (Northern over UND; Kearney over USD). Although clearly it's not officially a selection criterion, I think the fact that Kearney is hosting the Elite 8 this year gives them a small intangible advantage over Northern. I expect to see UND vs. either MSU-Moorhead or Kearney in the first round.

North Central Region in Grand Forks

1 North Dakota

8 MSU Moorhead

4 Regis

5 Metro St.

3 South Dakota

6 Concordia St. Paul

2 Augustana

7 Nebraska Kearney

Full bracket here

http://www.ncaasports.com/basketball/women...ewable/2007/DII

I have to admit that I think the Sioux got a little bit of a break here, as I believe the second, third and fourth-best teams in the field are on the opposite side of the bracket. It's kind of interesting that the committee ensured that an RMAC team would make it out of the first round for one of the very few times ever. :lol:

1 North Dakota

8 MSU Moorhead

4 Regis

5 Metro St.

3 South Dakota

6 Concordia St. Paul

2 Augustana

7 Nebraska Kearney

Full bracket here

No surprises there. Including that the games will be played in Grand Forks.

Kearney with a bit of extra incentive, with the Elite Eight in Nebraska this year, but they seem unlikely to come out of that half of the bracket.

Here's wishing the Sioux Women a great weekend of BB.

I have to admit that I think the Sioux got a little bit of a break here, as I believe the second, third and fourth-best teams in the field are on the opposite side of the bracket. It's kind of interesting that the committee ensured that an RMAC team would make it out of the first round for one of the very few times ever. :lol:

Agree, although I note we only beat Metro by 3 early this year.

1 North Dakota

8 MSU Moorhead

4 Regis

5 Metro St.

3 South Dakota

6 Concordia St. Paul

2 Augustana

7 Nebraska Kearney

Full bracket here

Just printed out the official NCAA Div II brackets and they have UND's records at 18-9 ?? Just a simple mistake by those nice folks... :lol:

Agree, although I note we only beat Metro by 3 early this year.

True enough, it was a pretty tight game earlier this season (on a neutral court). But for whatever reason, although the RMAC does get occasional wins over the NCC in non-conference play, they never get it done in the regional. In fact, besides one appearance in the region title game by Kearney in either 1998 or 1999, I can't recall a single win by that conference in the regional.

I couldn't help but notice that when the NCAA announced the 64 teams in the Women's National Tournament they stated the nickname for 63 schools and accidentally forget to mention the nickname for UND. I am sure that was just an over sight by the NCAA. Does everyone agree with me? It wouldn't be very classy if they did it on purpose.

I couldn't help but notice that when the NCAA announced the 64 teams in the Women's National Tournament they stated the nickname for 63 schools and accidentally forget to mention the nickname for UND. I am sure that was just an over sight by the NCAA. Does everyone agree with me? It wouldn't be very classy if they did it on purpose.

I am sure it was a simple oversight. :lol:

Not to look to far ahead, but if UND can get through the regional they would have a likely quarterfinal matchup with number 1 ranked and undefeated Florida Gulf Coast University. FGCU has Jen Conely from Warren, MN(and 2 years at Lake Region) on their roster. FGCU has a first round matchup with a team they beat by 53 this season and the 3 seed is a team they beat by 44. They will probably have a regional tilt with Delta State to get to Kearney.

On another note, the NCAA must have an issue with the FGCU men's squad, they were ranked number 6 in the region(21-3 region record, 26-6 overall with 3 losses to D1 teams including a close loss to Butler a couple weeks ago and they just won the D2 independent tourney) as they were left out of the South regional?:lol: They got leaped by 2 teams that they beat this year.

FGCU is going Division 1 as well(no football)

My picks:

1 UND

8 MSU Moorhead

4 Regis

5 Metro St.

3 South Dakota

6 Concordia St. Paul

2 Augustana

7 Nebraska Kearney

semi-finals

1 UND

4 Regis

2 Augustana

6 Concordia-St. Paul

finals

1 UND

2 Augustana

The Sioux are due for a strong performance at the regional. Losing at home three straight years simply shouldn't happen.

Well, make that the second oversight then................the hockey programs from the West Regionals last year at the Ralph didn't have UND's name in it either, just North Dakota.