SiouxSports.com Forum

2006/2007 Women's Basketball

4siouxnow

Sioux win and Augie lose, great night. Now we have a one game lead and simply need to care of business and win these last two which won't be easy on the road. CJ was awesome tonight with 25 pts and 10 boards.

Definitely need to win the last two games, but if the Sioux and Augie did tie, who would get the top seed? I know the Sioux beat Augie pretty good, is that the first tie-breaker after head to head?

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely need to win the last two games, but if the Sioux and Augie did tie, who would get the top seed? I know the Sioux beat Augie pretty good, is that the first tie-breaker?

The first tie breaker is head-to-head, which of course is a push. I believe the next tie breaker is how the teams did against the third place team, and then the fourth place team, and on down the line. Hopefully St. Cloud continues their hot play against Augie on Saturday. That game is in St. Cloud.

UND defeated UNO today 81-66, to clinch a share of the NCC title. Unfortunately, Augie also beat SCSU, meaning (I think) that they would own the tiebreaker over UND should the Sioux lose against UMD next week, and should Augie defeat USD. The bottom line though is that UND completely controls its own destiny. Beat UMD, and win the title outright, which would mean hosting the NCC tournament.

When the Sioux women won a share of the conference title last Saturday they added another trophy to the case. They have been the NCC Regular season Conference Champions 7 of the last 10 years. In the last ten years they have been National Champions 3 times and Runnerup once. They have won 6 straight post season Conference Championships which is every one they have held recently. Hopefully they will get number 7 this year. That is quite a resume. Congratulations.

The last regional rankings are out:

North Central Region

1. North Dakota 24-3 15-3

2. Augustana (South Dakota) 19-5 17-3

3. South Dakota 16-7 15-7

4. Regis (Colorado) 19-5 18-3

5. Metropolitan State 22-5 17-5

6. Concordia-St. Paul 16-9 14-8

7. Nebraska-Kearney 17-8 17-7

8. Northern State 16-7 16-6

9. St. Cloud State 13-10 11-10

10. Minnesota State Moorhead 16-8 13-7

I'm still surprised that the committee keeps putting three NCC teams as one, two, three. That can't be popular politically among at least some members from the other two conferences. The first two positions are easy to justify. But USD, with 7 losses, at 3?

A couple of quick points... with St. Cloud St. getting drubbed at home- last wkend to USD and the loss tonight-- I don't see SCSU making the regional. (is that a good thing for the Sioux?... they have been a recent thorn in the side) Augie gets upset by UNO for the 2nd time this season- depending on how USD does in GF this weekend USD could move to 2, Regis to 3 and Augie to 4. (Kearney and Metro both won tonight...) Tonight in the Northern Sun-Northern St. MSU Moorehead & Concordia St. Paul all won with their tournament in St. Paul this weekend.

Basicly what I'm trying to do is... pass along a couple of winners tonight, and start a little conversation about how the final seeding into the regional will play out.

Also, just a couple of notes of non-conference teams that we've played this year. Lewis U whom the Sioux beat back in Nov. is #1 in the Great Lakes Region 24-3 on their season. Texas A&M Commerce whom the Sioux beat in Orlando in overtime is 5th 19-6 in the South Central Region, Seattle Pacific is at 4 in the West Region.

The Sioux have played some good competition this year and hopefully that will be a benefit at this time of year.

A couple of quick points... with St. Cloud St. getting drubbed at home- last wkend to USD and the loss tonight-- I don't see SCSU making the regional. (is that a good thing for the Sioux?... they have been a recent thorn in the side) Augie gets upset by UNO for the 2nd time this season- depending on how USD does in GF this weekend USD could move to 2, Regis to 3 and Augie to 4. (Kearney and Metro both won tonight...) Tonight in the Northern Sun-Northern St. MSU Moorehead & Concordia St. Paul all won with their tournament in St. Paul this weekend.

Basicly what I'm trying to do is... pass along a couple of winners tonight, and start a little conversation about how the final seeding into the regional will play out.

My feeling is that the top two seeds were already set prior to the conference tournaments. I think there was some threat of Augie jumping to number one had they won the tournament, but obviously that's out the window now. I think USD could very well drop if they don't win the tournament, particularly if either Regis or Metro wins the RMAC tournament. St. Cloud St. should be out. Right now, I think the following teams are in for sure:

UND

Augie

Regis

Metro

USD

Concordia-St. Paul

The other two spots will be filled either by an unexpected winner of a conference tournament, or among Northern State, MSU-Moorhead and Kearney.

Omaha still hasn't made it to Vermillion- road is closed, I guess the roads and weather down there is way worse. What happens if they can't make to USD to play their game tomorrow? They would have to play it tomorrow in order for us to continue the tournament wouldn't they? Do we still play ours? Plus, isn't there a deadline that the conference tournament games have to be completed by 6p Sunday for seeding and regional selection?

Omaha still hasn't made it to Vermillion- road is closed, I guess the roads and weather down there is way worse. What happens if they can't make to USD to play their game tomorrow? They would have to play it tomorrow in order for us to continue the tournament wouldn't they? Do we still play ours? Plus, isn't there a deadline that the conference tournament games have to be completed by 6p Sunday for seeding and regional selection?

The UNO-USD game has been moved to 7 tonight. If UND wins today, they will be playing a very tired, very travel-weary team tomorrow in Grand Forks. I can't imagine playing a 7 p.m. game in Vermillion, and then travelling all the way to Grand Forks for a 3 p.m. game the next day.

The UNO-USD game has been moved to 7 tonight. If UND wins today, they will be playing a very tired, very travel-weary team tomorrow in Grand Forks. I can't imagine playing a 7 p.m. game in Vermillion, and then travelling all the way to Grand Forks for a 3 p.m. game the next day.

Championship game on Sunday moved to 5pm...but point well taken