SiouxSports.com Forum

2006/2007 Women's Basketball

4siouxnow

I've seen a lot of UND women's basketball games since the late 80's, and I can't recall a better performance than tonight. It was a credit to Kearney that they were able to stay within six at the half. They just didn't miss many shots in the first half, but then again, neither did the Sioux. In the second half, Kearney's shots weren't falling as consistently, and the Sioux continued firing on all cylinders, with Kimbrough and Langen taking turns dominating, and some deadly 3-point shooting. I'm really looking forward to the Elite 8. If UND plays like they did for most of the regional, they have a very good chance to win it all. I'm quite sure Florida Gulf Coast hasn't faced anything like what they're going to see next week.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I saw on the internet, they only named four: Fisher from UNK, Kimbrough, Langen and MVP Maffin! There had to be more but...... I suppose they were players not in attendance.

All-North Central Region Team:

Kelsey Maffin, UND (Most Outstanding Player)

Kierah Kimbrough, UND

Ashley Langen UND

Liz Fischer, Nebraska-Kearney

Katie LaViolette, Concordia-St. Paul

I really felt Chrissia Jahner, and Danni Guinn were derserving also.....

Maybe it would help if I coached UNK, I heard thier Coach went into labor this afternoon....?

Yes she did. Gave birth to a baby boy, and 5 hours later was at the Betty to help coach her team, although she left most of the coaching to her assistant. Thats committment.

I'm kinda curious, which is why I'm asking this question now and even though I'm asking it in the women's basketball thread, it's dirrected to all sports. Here's the question....................Cheerleaders. Athletes, whatever the sport, have a commitment to the team and play whenever the games are scheduled whether it be over Christmas break or spring break etc. Isn't there any kind of commitment when it comes to the cheerleaders? When school breaks come up, the cheerleaders can leave too just like the students? no commitment to the sport to which they cheer for? Not trying to make an issue of this, like I said, always been curious about it and after last nights women's basketball game, decided to ask the question.

FGCU's tallest player is only 5'11", so I expect they must play a lot of zone. Regardless, I doubt they've seen one post player, let alone two, like Langen and Kimbrough. As Bakken alluded to in his blog last night, this Sioux team has arguably the best half court offense of any of UND's Elite 8 teams. The defense isn't as strong as it's usually been, and they don't score as many transition baskets as most of the teams of the past, but in a half court game, I like the chances of this team against anybody.

I was actually at the FGCU-Delta St game last night. FGCU is a good team, no doubt about that. Yes they have not played a very tough schedule, reason being is that when you are a good independent team without a conference nobody wants to play you. Delta St has been a good team in the south for years and they beat them handily last night. That being said, I don't think they have enough fire power to stay with the likes of UND. They are a solid team with a couple very good players(Steffi Sorenson & Katie Shrader) but I would be surprised if UND did not beat them by at least 10 pts.

I was actually at the FGCU-Delta St game last night. FGCU is a good team, no doubt about that. Yes they have not played a very tough schedule, reason being is that when you are a good independent team without a conference nobody wants to play you. Delta St has been a good team in the south for years and they beat them handily last night. That being said, I don't think they have enough fire power to stay with the likes of UND. They are a solid team with a couple very good players(Steffi Sorenson & Katie Shrader) but I would be surprised if UND did not beat them by at least 10 pts.

What kind of defense does Gulf Coast play, i.e. zone or man? I read somewhere that Delta's best post player suffered a season-ending injury earlier in the season, so they were apparently short-handed this year, but I agree it was still a quality win for FCGU.

Looking at the bracket supplied by the earlier link, it doesn't appear the opening round is on TV. Or, will WDAZ step in and do the Sioux game?

I believe the 1990 and 1991 men's Elite 8, and the 1998, 1999 and 2001 women's Elite 8 games were all televised by WDAZ, but after the football playoff game vs. UNO wasn't televised despite all past road playoff games being on, it's hard to predict what might happen with regard to tv.

I believe the 1990 and 1991 men's Elite 8, and the 1998, 1999 and 2001 women's Elite 8 games were all televised by WDAZ, but after the football playoff game vs. UNO wasn't televised despite all past road playoff games being on, it's hard to predict what might happen with regard to tv.

I know they are working on it.....Hopefully it works out.

Probably already posted but both semis and Finals on ESPN-Affiliates

I'm kinda curious, which is why I'm asking this question now and even though I'm asking it in the women's basketball thread, it's dirrected to all sports. Here's the question....................Cheerleaders. Athletes, whatever the sport, have a commitment to the team and play whenever the games are scheduled whether it be over Christmas break or spring break etc. Isn't there any kind of commitment when it comes to the cheerleaders? When school breaks come up, the cheerleaders can leave too just like the students? no commitment to the sport to which they cheer for? Not trying to make an issue of this, like I said, always been curious about it and after last nights women's basketball game, decided to ask the question.

Athletes usually are on scholarship. Just like the band, until they start getting paid (in tuition or other form), they have the perfect right to take their breaks.

Part of it, is that if they live on campus they have to find another place to stay, since the dorms close. I'm not sure what the athletes do.