SiouxSports.com Forum

2006/2007 Women's Basketball

4siouxnow

Let's face it - other than the Crouse years, the Sioux women's BB team has had a history of disappointing in the tournaments almost every year. They have almost never played their best ball at tournament time. Look at 2005 and 2006 for example. This seems to be a consistancy going back to the years when we competed with NDSU. I think Robuck is a great recruiter, but facts are facts.

The same can be said for just about every team that plays the game. Only 1 team wins their last game of the year; the Champs!!! I just think we need to appreciate the fact that we have a women's team that wins 28-32 games EVERY year. Right now we aren't doing that.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think we need to appreciate the fact that we have a women's team that wins 28-32 games EVERY year.
Couldn't agree more.

The 1996-1999 teams, from a historical perspective, set a standard no team can possibly live up to. It also seems the strength of the some teams within DII has caught up to the North Central Conference. Are we becoming like Kentucky fans, where no coach and nothing less than a championship can possibly satisfy them?

Although defense has a lot to do with shooting percentage, in the first half, FGCU shot 67% from 3-point range and 68% from the field. FGCU's Chelsea Dermyer, who had a 5 ppg average going into the game, shot 88% for the game and 100% from 3-point range. In the first half, FGCU's starters missed a total of five shots. No team can expect to win with the opponent shooting the lights out for like that.

Couldn't agree more.

The 1996-1999 teams, from a historical perspective, set a standard no team can possibly live up to. It also seems the strength of the some teams within DII has caught up to the North Central Conference. Are we becoming like Kentucky fans, where no coach and nothing less than a championship can possibly satisfy them?

Although defense has a lot to do with shooting percentage, in the first half, FGCU shot 67% from 3-point range and 68% from the field. FGCU's Chelsea Dermyer, who had a 5 ppg average going into the game, shot 88% for the game and 100% from 3-point range. In the first half, FGCU's starters missed a total of five shots. No team can expect to win with the opponent shooting the lights out for like that.

I agree to an extent, but a couple of recent examples show that it can be done. Kearney shot absolutely lights-out against the Sioux in the first half. Some defensive adjustments were made, and they fell off considerably in the second half. Also, in the Gulf Coast-Clayton State game, Gulf Coast shot a very high percentage in the first half to jump out to a big lead. However, Clayton State switched up defenses in the second half, and Gulf Coast struggled badly. Clayton State easily could have won that game, and they were not a very good team IMO. It was a combination of some poor defensive play, great shooting by Gulf Coast and a very poor job of taking care of the ball by the Sioux that caused the big first half deficit. The problem was, nothing improved in the second half. I didn't expect to come back and win after being behind by that much, but I did expect to make a run to at least cut the lead to single digits at some point.

I agree to an extent, but a couple of recent examples show that it can be done. Kearney shot absolutely lights-out against the Sioux in the first half. Some defensive adjustments were made, and they fell off considerably in the second half. Also, in the Gulf Coast-Clayton State game, Gulf Coast shot a very high percentage in the first half to jump out to a big lead. However, Clayton State switched up defenses in the second half, and Gulf Coast struggled badly. Clayton State easily could have won that game, and they were not a very good team IMO. It was a combination of some poor defensive play, great shooting by Gulf Coast and a very poor job of taking care of the ball by the Sioux that caused the big first half deficit. The problem was, nothing improved in the second half. I didn't expect to come back and win after being behind by that much, but I did expect to make a run to at least cut the lead to single digits at some point.

Against Kearney, UND coaches proved they are capable of making game-time adjustments. Against FGCU, the adjustment didn't work, as FGCU kept shooting insanely for the first few minutes of the second half. In a rematch, I would like UND's chances. With one loss and out, the tournament is nothing more than a crap shoot. Yesterday's Winona State loss was probably even more disappointing for their fans than UND's bad game loss was for ours.

For next year, I still like UND's chances.

I do not think as a athlete, coach or fan it is good to accept losing, that being said there is I believe a HUGE difference from Losing giving it your best efforts and what happened to the UND Women.

That was by far and away not their best effort as a Team, that includes everyone! My guess is that they feel the same way.

Great Season, can not wait til next year!

Going to miss Jahner's heart, drive, and determination....

Against Kearney, UND coaches proved they are capable of making game-time adjustments. Against FGCU, the adjustment didn't work, as FGCU kept shooting insanely for the first few minutes of the second half. In a rematch, I would like UND's chances. With one loss and out, the tournament is nothing more than a crap shoot. Yesterday's Winona State loss was probably even more disappointing for their fans than UND's bad game loss was for ours.

For next year, I still like UND's chances.

Honestly, I'd have to watch the tape to get a better idea of exactly how much of Gulf Coast's shooting percentage can be attributed to having open shots, i.e. poor defense, and how much was due to just making a lot of tough shots. Seeing it in person, it seemed like the defense was poor, but with no replays it's hard to say for sure.

Part of what makes the last couple of years so disappointing is that it really seemed like a title was there for the taking. I don't feel like either Grand Valley State last year, or Southern Conn. (or Gulf Coast) this year were at the level of some of the teams UND has seen at past national tournaments, such as Southern Indiana in 1997, Emporia State in 1998 and 1999, or Cal Poly Pomona in 2001. It seems like while there's more parity between the regions today, the top teams aren't as good as they used to be. That's my perception, anyway. By way of comparison, I've felt that the losses to end the past couple of years in women's basketball have been far more frustrating than in football, because in football I don't believe UND had a clear talent advantage by any means over GVSU, or over the 2004 Pitt State team. I've felt the past two women's basketball teams did have a clear talent advantage over the teams they've lost to. Coming into the Elite 8, I felt that all the Sioux had to do to win was have a shooting percentage somewhere in the 40's, don't turn the ball over more than 20 times and play decent defense. Unfortunately, against Gulf Coast only the first "requirement" was met IMO.

From a column in the Kearney paper today:

The best answer at a press conference came from North Dakota coach Gene Roebuck. His team had just been destroyed by Florida Gulf Coast, which looked every bit like the greatest team on earth. Roebuck, a veteran of many national tournaments, was asked to rate the Eagles against the best of all time.

He said,

I thought that quote was rather funny too. In the profession of coaching, similar to public office, you take heat when you shouldnt and you get praise when you shouldnt sometimes and vice versa. Not sure what he thought he would gain from that quote, except bitter feelings to people on a blog or internet web sites?

I don't know why anyone would be bitter. He said the correct thing. You can't call someone the best ever if they finish second. No one from FGCU should have taken it wrong. If he was asked, "Is that the best a team has ever played against you as a coach"? He would have answered the question differently I imagine. I don't think anyone has ever played too much better against a UND team.

• 4 months later...