SiouxSports.com Forum

2006/2007 Women's Basketball

4siouxnow

I believe UND will be playing at 3:00. I know every effort was going to be made to avoid a head-to-head with the hockey game.

Who has control over the start times, the NCAA or the host, UND? Assuming we win on Friday night, I'd like to catch the game on Saturday as I'll be in GF for the hockey game. I hope UND plays at 4:00 on Saturday. Nothing like looking ahead/past opponents! :lol::silly:

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regis has good guards, but inside they will get brutalized by UND should the two teams meet. Plus, particularly with Jahner and Beck, UND has the defensive players to keep the Lopezes somewhat in check. I haven't been impressed with Regis at all in the past two regional tournaments. The thing about the RMAC teams is that they will not, under any circumstances, play the top NCC teams unless it's in the state of Colorado, or occasionally in a tournament on a neutral court. Once they get on NCC turf (which only happens in the regional), they really tend to struggle. The only legit non-conference opponent Regis played this year outside of the state of Colorado was CSU-Chico (the number 2 seed from the west region). Chico beat them by 25.

Regis has good guards, but inside they will get brutalized by UND should the two teams meet. Plus, particularly with Jahner and Beck, UND has the defensive players to keep the Lopezes somewhat in check. I haven't been impressed with Regis at all in the past two regional tournaments. The thing about the RMAC teams is that they will not, under any circumstances, play the top NCC teams unless it's in the state of Colorado, or occasionally in a tournament on a neutral court. Once they get on NCC turf (which only happens in the regional), they really tend to struggle. The only legit non-conference opponent Regis played this year outside of the state of Colorado was CSU-Chico (the number 2 seed from the west region). Chico beat them by 25.

Agree somewhat, but I think this is a different Regis team...

Common Oppents

Regis 66 vs USD 67 at Colo Christian...... UND Won by 2 in OT, 9 at Home, 23 Tourney

Regis 94 vs Mary 61 at Colo Christian...... UND won by 10

Regis 67 vs Metro 72

Regis 76 vs Metro 62...... UND won by 3

Regis 70 vs Metro 50

Regis 97 vs St Cloud 72...... UND loss by 5, won by 20

It appears that UND Scores were closer with Metro, Mary, St Cloud and only a 1 point to USD who we had two tough games and one breather in the Tourney (Best Player Out)...?

I do agree that the RMAC is not anywhere near the competition of the NCC, but Regis does look better, I taped the RMAC Championship game for the UND staff and the Lopez Twins were impressive.

They also however got handled by Emporia State 73-55 at Home.

Agree somewhat, but I think this is a different Regis team...

Common Oppents

Regis 66 vs USD 67 at Colo Christian...... UND Won by 2 in OT, 9 at Home, 23 Tourney

Regis 94 vs Mary 61 at Colo Christian...... UND won by 10

Regis 67 vs Metro 72

Regis 76 vs Metro 62...... UND won by 3

Regis 70 vs Metro 50

Regis 97 vs St Cloud 72...... UND loss by 5, won by 20

It appears that UND Scores were closer with Metro, Mary, St Cloud and only a 1 point to USD who we had two tough games and one breather in the Tourney (Best Player Out)...?

I do agree that the RMAC is not anywhere near the competition of the NCC, but Regis does look better, I taped the RMAC Championship game for the UND staff and the Lopez Twins were impressive.

They also however got handled by Emporia State 73-55 at Home.

I don't mean to imply that Regis is a bad team. I just feel that they tend to do better early in the season, particularly at home or on a neutral court. Some recent examples:

2003-04

UND 73, Regis 71 (at Regis)

2005-06

UND 78, Regis 70 (in Florida)

Judging solely on those results, one would think Regis would have been a factor in the regional tournaments. But here is how they've fared:

SDSU 91, Regis 76

SDSU 107, Regis 71

UMD 73, Regis 60

Northern St. 89, Regis 79

In fact, since the 1999-2000 season, the RMAC is a combined 0-15 at regional tournaments. Unless an RMAC team goes undefeated during the regular season, or beats a really good non-conference opponent on the road, I just have a very hard time taking them too seriously. Obviously I hope the UND team takes everybody seriously, but as a fan, I'm just very skeptical of the RMAC in women's basketball.

Brian MacPherson of the St. Cloud Times doesn't agree with Roebuck for coach of the year. link. But really, what other better candidates were there? Augustana was picked third, and got second. USD was picked fourth, and got third. Should Roebuck be penalized because UND was picked first?

Another interesting question is the mvp issue. Certainly, Quigley's numbers were outstanding. But the inescapable fact is that SCSU underachieved as a team, and finished a disappoining tie for fourth. Historically, the conference coaches have generally picked the mvp from a team that finished at or near the top. Quigley's numbers were even better last year, and SCSU was a strong second in the league, but Kristi Boese was named mvp. I think a distinction can be drawn between the best player, which Quigley was, and the most valuable player. Honestly, I think a good case could be made that the true most valuable player may have been Carissa Jahner. In addition to being the heart and soul of the league's best team and the conference's best defender, she was among the top 10 in the league in scoring, assists, field goal %, free throw %, steals, 3-point field goal %, 3-pointers made and assist-to-turnover ratio.

Just printed out the official NCAA Div II brackets and they have UND's records at 18-9 ?? Just a simple mistake by those nice folks... :D

UND's record has been updated to 29-3 on the Championship Bracket.

First round for the Sioux starts at 3PM! It looks like UND is going to webcast the Metro State/Regis game starting at 12:45PM.

GO SIOUX!!!

Hold on Fighting Sioux fans as you may never see this again in your lifetime...

As seen this evening on www.ncaasports.com:

holycrap.jpg

That's right...the UND "hostile and abusive" jersey being worn in the playoffs on homecourt on the front page of the NCAA website.

:)

I thought the Sioux looked extremely good today. Jahner was exceptional, and in spite of some rather uneven officiating which kept them saddled with fouls, Kimbrough and Langen both managed to pretty much reach their averages. After watching Regis play today, let's just say I really like the matchup. Before the tournament I felt UND would have a huge advantage inside, and Regis did nothing today to suggest otherwise.

Wow, Nebraska-Kearney, the number 7 seed, knocked off the 2 seed Augie tonight. I guess that long layoff (they hadn't played since Feb. 28) hurt the Vikings more than expected. This is the first time in many years than an RMAC team has won a game at the regional (aside from Regis's game today against fellow RMAC team Metro--the "somebody-had-to-win" game). It's all up to UND now to uphold the tradition of an NCC team winning the regional literally every single year.

Saturday's semi's:

1. UND vs. 4. Regis

6. Concordia-St. Paul vs. 7. Nebraska-Kearney :)

Wow, Nebraska-Kearney, the number 7 seed, knocked off the 2 seed Augie tonight. I guess that long layoff (they hadn't played since Feb. 28) hurt the Vikings more than expected. This is the first time in many years than an RMAC team has won a game at the regional (aside from Regis's game today against fellow RMAC team Metro--the "somebody-had-to-win" game). It's all up to UND now to uphold the tradition of an NCC team winning the regional literally every single year.

Saturday's semi's:

1. UND vs. 4. Regis

6. Concordia-St. Paul vs. 7. Nebraska-Kearney :silly:

If the Sioux play anything like they did yesterday, I like our chances....