SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

That building wouldn’t cost all that much. Not a lot going into it.

I know that it didn't make financial sense, but I'm one of those dumbos that hated to see baseball cut.  Dodson was an outstanding recruiter, getting good talent to come to a (far) northern school like UND.  Amazing to see how well some of his final recruits did at major schools the last couple of years.  I remember 3 or 4 summers ago how his powerhitting first baseman ( I forget his name) won the college home run derby against players from P5 and other conferences.  And I read recently that one of his lefthanded pitchers (again, I forget his name) has made it to a AAA team.

• Upvote 1

Jeff Campbell

Zach Muckenhirn

Also had former commit Wallner get drafted 39th overall after lighting it up at Southern Miss and former player Miles Lewis playing very well at Michigan just as examples to your comment about Dodson's recruiting.

4 hours ago, northernraider said:

Wow, what great Pie In The Sky ideas. The only one that is remotely realistic anytime soon is HPC Phase 2, but nice-looking "what-ifs" 

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I don't really see anything that's not doable within the next 15-20 years.  Can never plan too far ahead.  Not really a fan of the athlete housing deal at the site of memorial stadium though.  Would like to see them connect it to the other side of the HPC, if they aren't going to add windows on the East side.

Edit: A couple facts of note - that big building South of the HPC in the above pic isn't in the athletic departments 2018 master plan, and I don't see the softball field on there either.  It's supposed to be frat houses on the 2018 UND masater plan, but plans can change.  Maybe UND just wanted a rendering of what a new softball field could look like, without having a specific location in mind.   https://campus.und.edu/facilities-management/_files/docs/und-athletics-masterplan-0406.pdf
https://campus.und.edu/facilities-management/_files/docs/2018-master-plan.pdf

Bring any sport onto campus would be good, but I don't think a new single sport stadium is a wise financial investment at UND right now. Now if they could find a way to make a stadium on campus that could host multiple sports that are currently off campus, I'd be on board. Otherwise they might want to wait on new stadiums until they have few more years of stable funding from the staten 

Also, didn't they just agree to partially fund upgrading their existing stadium?

31 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Jeff Campbell

Zach Muckenhirn

Also had former commit Wallner get drafted 39th overall after lighting it up at Southern Miss and former player Miles Lewis playing very well at Michigan just as examples to your comment about Dodson's recruiting.

Yes, thanks!  I remember watching Campbell win it on TV against several players from big schools; produced some good old UND pride!  Also remember Muckenhirn beating Southern Cal 2-1 or 1-0 as part of winning 2 out of 3 at Southern Cal in our last season of baseball.

54 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

assuming this diamond would be for our current softball team and not bringing back baseball?

Given that city block is about 365' from curb to curb north to south (University to 2nd Ave N, thank you Google maps) that's a softball field. 

Allowing for stadium and street standoffs you have about 220' down the left field line which is a minimum. 

On 7/16/2019 at 2:50 PM, UNDBIZ said:

Chaves knowa the athletic dorm gives away the intent, so he says the plans were intended to be behind curtains.

Mostly only big time P5 programs have exclusive athletic dorms.

https://hailfloridahail.com/2019/06/16/florida-athletics-university-plans-overhaul-athletics-dorms/

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article104426576.html

Not aware that any FCS program has one.

On 7/16/2019 at 9:18 AM, forksandspoons said:

und-athletics-01.jpg

On 7/16/2019 at 10:47 AM, MoSiouxFan said:

Softball field/stadium?  Pretty luxurious/impressive, if so.  That would be a lot money to put into a sport that doesn't draw anybody.

On 7/16/2019 at 12:03 PM, SiouxSherm94 said:

Not focused on the stadium really but what's behind..... my kids are absolutely going here if the university ends up getting THIS big of a facelift. Much better use of the parking lot. Unreal concept

This would be the entrance to the UND campus as coming from the east down University Ave. Much more an intro to the U than a part of a softball field, very impressive.

East of left field is the Human Nutrition Lab.
East of home plate is the so called Helicopter Pad Home owned by a friend of mine.
Intersection by home plate is University Ave and N 25th St.
NE of intersection is University Park
North of right field is the East end of Greek Rho.
West of right field would be the proposed addition of Greek Housing.
SW of center field is the outdoor FB/track field.
South of left field is HPC.