SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

21 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

At least they did something to get value out of the delay. That’s a fair trade.

Exactly. 

I was quite skeptical (who's playing what politics) when I heard this work had been paused.

Instead it seems Dr. Wynne deserves some credit for lowering student fees and the interest rate. ... Did he just take the lead on the race to the full-time role? 

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Exactly. 

I was quite skeptical (who's playing what politics) when I heard this work had been paused.

Instead it seems Dr. Wynne deserves some credit for lowering student fees and the interest rate. ... Did he just take the lead on the race to the full-time role? 

This!  I was not happy about this AT ALL - I am happy to say that I was wrong.  However, I think the Herald article mentioned that he wanted to wait on moving forward until the new President was in place, but the SBHE overruled him.  We may have just gotten lucky.

10 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

My advice to UND today:

Start knocking down the Union right now before someone gets a wise idea to try and stop it again. 

North Dakota University System Chancellor Mark Hagerott expressed additional concerns about the project. 

“My concerns with Memorial Union project is that the underlying demographic-economic landscape may be changing significantly since work on this project began some years ago, and even since the current students voted to place obligations on future students who were unable to vote for their future indebtedness,” he wrote.

Hagerott had suggested the next president, who will likely be named by December, should have an opportunity to shape the project. 

Moser would tell you it sounds like the NDUS President isn't happy that UND is going to get a nice new Union and says UND is going to be more of an online ed school soon so they don't need a new union.

Folks, reality check: 

It's been relatively flat for the last decade or so, and should stay that way, but come about 2024 the number HS grads will be start to drop significantly (say 10%). Not all colleges are going to survive that well. 

If you're not planning and preparing, now, for that you're going to have a lot of empty classroom and residence hall space. 

And those students, they're a 5G generation; they'll be looking more and more for online options. 

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/12/06/high-school-graduates-drop-number-and-be-increasingly-diverse 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Folks, reality check: 

It's been relatively flat for the last decade or so, and should stay that way, but come about 2024 the number HS grads will be start to drop significantly (say 10%). Not all colleges are going to survive that well. 

If you're not planning and preparing, now, for that you're going to have a lot of empty classroom and residence hall space. 

And those students, they're a 5G generation; they'll be looking more and more for online options. 

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/12/06/high-school-graduates-drop-number-and-be-increasingly-diverse 

The college scam is falling apart. Worthless institutions won’t survive. Those who bank on non stem education will really suffer.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The college scam is falling apart. Worthless institutions won’t survive. Those who bank on non stem education will really suffer.

I have trouble arguing against any of those three statements. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Wow, what great Pie In The Sky ideas. The only one that is remotely realistic anytime soon is HPC Phase 2, but nice-looking "what-ifs" 

I don't really see anything that's not doable within the next 15-20 years.  Can never plan too far ahead.  Not really a fan of the athlete housing deal at the site of memorial stadium though.  Would like to see them connect it to the other side of the HPC, if they aren't going to add windows on the East side.

Edit: A couple facts of note - that big building South of the HPC in the above pic isn't in the athletic departments 2018 master plan, and I don't see the softball field on there either.  It's supposed to be frat houses on the 2018 UND masater plan, but plans can change.  Maybe UND just wanted a rendering of what a new softball field could look like, without having a specific location in mind.   https://campus.und.edu/facilities-management/_files/docs/und-athletics-masterplan-0406.pdf
https://campus.und.edu/facilities-management/_files/docs/2018-master-plan.pdf