SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's BB

UND Fan

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, all season long the Sioux had a propensity for having bouts of very poor shooting. I was afraid that eventually it would catch up to us, and last night it finally did. Between the whole team shooting in the mid-30 % range against a team not known for its defense (game up 89 points to an average Concordia-St. Paul team a couple of nights ago), and our two best players combining for just 12 points, it wasn't meant to be.

Next year, I kind of hope we don't win the NCC tournament again. It's certainly not as though it's helped us any in terms of winning the region. I believe that's five years in a row where we won the NCC tournament, but another NCC team ended up winning the regional. :silly:

It was a very disappointing night...almost difficult to watch. UND did not play their game at all. Playing timid is never going to get you very far. SCSU deserved the win last night. Classy comments from their coach in the paper. I just want to thank the team for a great season. It has been a pleasure to watch from November thru March. It didn't end how we wish it would have, but it was a tremendous season. To the seniors, Kristi and Amy, what a privilige to see them play. They will be missed. The one bright spot, the freshmen. One can only imagine how much they will improve to become the Amy's and Kristi's. I'll be ready for next season!!!! Outstanding season Ladies...thanks for being a bright spot for UND athletics throughout the season!

What a wasted season!! The Sioux choked, plain and simple. There's always next year. Maybe they should move the playoff games to the Hyslop??

What an insulting remark. They had and absolutely terrific and wonderful season. Yea they lost to a very good St. Cloud team in the last game of the Regional. Yes that is disappointing. But please don't downplay the rest of the season. That is a real slap in the face to the women and how they worked their butts off to win the first 34 games in a row. Great season. I'm looking forward to next year. Sometimes life is cruel but we all have to move forward and remember the good times. Go Sioux. Remember there are no guarantees when you step on the court. The women wanted to win just as bad as we wanted them to win. We should all be very proud of them.

The GOLDEN RULE prevails AGAIN!!!!

Kristi and Amy are two of the classiest people ever to wear a UND jersey....but the golden rule does prevail!!!

Treat others poorly in your life and you will not reap the rewards!!! Justice has been served once again this season!!!!!

The GOLDEN RULE prevails AGAIN!!!!

Kristi and Amy are two of the classiest people ever to wear a UND jersey....but the golden rule does prevail!!!

Treat others poorly in your life and you will not reap the rewards!!! Justice has been served once again this season!!!!!

Please explain..............

Congratulations on a successful season for the women's basketball team. True, they didn't go on to win the national championship but they have much to be proud of. Looking forward to more great seasons ahead.

One-game playoffs are a crap-shoot.

What I need to know about the state of UND's program right now is:

30-0 Undefeated Regular Season

2006 NCC Womens Basketball Regular Season Champions

2006 NCC Womens Basketball Tournament Champions (six-time defending)

2006 NCAA Regional Finalist

The rest, although bitterly disappointing, is an indicator of nothing save for coming up "snake eyes" one night of the crap-shoot.

One-game playoffs are a crap-shoot.

What I need to know about the state of UND's program right now is:

30-0 Undefeated Regular Season

2006 NCC Womens Basketball Regular Season Champions

2006 NCC Womens Basketball Tournament Champions (six-time defending)

2006 NCAA Regional Finalist

The rest, although bitterly disappointing, is an indicator of nothing save for coming up "snake eyes" one night of the crap-shoot.

Nice Spin!

One thing that struck me this year was that NOBODY played man-to-man against the Sioux. That was presumably because coaches knew that there was really no way to handle players like Langen, Boese and Kimbrough one-on-one. They were much better off sagging off, and forcing UND to beat them with outside shooting. In other words, they adjusted to give themselves the best possible chance to win. UND, on the other hand, played nothing but man-to-man, regardless of the opponent. In theory, that's fine, as I believe most coaches would agree that playing man-to-man is preferable, if you have the talent to do so. However, I believe that there are times that you need to have the willingness to switch up defenses if the situation calls for it. Two times that come to my mind are, not coincidentally, our two most recent losses (SCSU and Concordia-St. Paul). What do these two teams have in common? A guard who was very skilled as a one-on-one player. Obviously, in the two regional games we lost, Carlisle and Hansen went off for big points. It seems to me that maybe it would have been prudent to try a little zone, which would have made getting to the basket more difficult. If I had one piece of constructive criticism of Gene Roebuck, it's that he feels his team has the most talent (which it does), and therefore he's not willing to adjust to what other teams do. I've heard him say on the radio that he feels that playing zone is tantamount to admitting that you don't have the ability to defend certain opposing players, and presumably he's completely unwilling to "give in" by playing any zone whatsoever. I don't think there's any shame in adjusting when you have difficulty in stopping certain kinds of players, particularly when you're in a lose-and-you're-done situation. I'm certainly not suggesting that UND lost because of poor coaching or anything of the sort--merely that adjusting defenses isn't necessarily a bad thing, and that Gene may be a little too stubborn sometimes.