SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's BB

UND Fan

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know we have a recruit coming in from Iowa. Does anybody know what her season was like and what expectations there are for her next year as a Sioux. How good is she?

She averaged 15 ppg, and made a ton of 3's. She was named all-state, but since Iowa has separate all-state teams for all the different classes, I'm not sure how prestigious that really is. In any event, I expect she'll provide some good outside shooting.

With the implosion that seems to be going on at Minnesota (multiple players transferring), I wonder what the odds are that a player like Broback could end up in the NCC for her senior year? She's officially left the program as of yesterday. I wonder how happy Roysland is? Granted, she only has one year left, but it sure doesn't look like the Gophers will be very good next year, and there seem to be some problems there.

With the implosion that seems to be going on at Minnesota (multiple players transferring), I wonder what the odds are that a player like Broback could end up in the NCC for her senior year? She's officially left the program as of yesterday. I wonder how happy Roysland is? Granted, she only has one year left, but it sure doesn't look like the Gophers will be very good next year, and there seem to be some problems there.

Kelly Roysland is now the only Senior left with the Gopher women's basketball team. Liz Podominick has left to pursue her Olympic experience. Most say Broback is done with basketball but I remember the rumor a few years back that Roysland was interested in a transfer to UND. If she did so, she would not have to sit out a year. Has anyone heard anything?

There is an article in todays Fargo Forum about Ashley Samuelson from Underwood Minnesota and that she is transferring from Colorado State and wants to play for either the Sioux or the Bison. In 2004 she was the Fargo Forum player of the year. She played one year there. Amy has 5 more scholarships than Gene to start with. We lost two players this year and we have 3 players coming in now so I wonder if Gene even has any money available to entice her here. She was released at Colorado State so does anybody know how good she is.

There is an article in todays Fargo Forum about Ashley Samuelson from Underwood Minnesota and that she is transferring from Colorado State and wants to play for either the Sioux or the Bison. In 2004 she was the Fargo Forum player of the year. She played one year there. Amy has 5 more scholarships than Gene to start with. We lost two players this year and we have 3 players coming in now so I wonder if Gene even has any money available to entice her here. She was released at Colorado State so does anybody know how good she is.

Samuelson was one of the final 5 for Miss Minnesota Basketball along with Kimbrough. I believe she is also the all time steals leader for MSHSL, but don't quote me on that. I saw her play once in an All-Star game, so it is hard to judge as they are not playing with their regular team. She can jump and shoot. Not sure why she was released from Colorado but I'm sure she has talent. I would assume she'd be a 3 or 4. Guess it would matter if she wanted to remain "D-I" or if UND has the money or the need for her.

Samuelson was one of the final 5 for Miss Minnesota Basketball along with Kimbrough. I believe she is also the all time steals leader for MSHSL, but don't quote me on that. I saw her play once in an All-Star game, so it is hard to judge as they are not playing with their regular team. She can jump and shoot. Not sure why she was released from Colorado but I'm sure she has talent. I would assume she'd be a 3 or 4. Guess it would matter if she wanted to remain "D-I" or if UND has the money or the need for her.

Since she's apparently going to be visiting UND, I assume Roebuck must be interested, and could free up the necessary scholarship money. I guess I'd question how much we "need" another player at the 3/4 positions, but who knows? If she wants to win a lot of games, she'll come to UND. If she is mostly concerned about playing division I for her entire career, she'll go to NDSU.

Normally, yes, but because she was released from her scholarship, she wouldn't have to sit out a year, according to Steve Hallstrom. link.

I didn't think "released" mattered.

Wasn't that the case with that kid at Iowa (that wanted to transfer to, I think it was, Indiana)?

I didn't think "released" mattered.

Wasn't that the case with that kid at Iowa (that wanted to transfer to, I think it was, Indiana)?

I'm assuming the key distinction is that if a kid is essentially cut, which is what apparently happened here, it wouldn't be fair to force him/her to sit out a season. If a kid simply decides to transfer because he/she isn't satisfied with playing time, etc., then the rule requiring the sitting out of one season applies. But I haven't researched it, so I can't say for certain whether Hallstrom is correct or not.

EDIT: Maybe it's semantics, but I probably should have said that her scholarship wasn't renewed, as opposed to being released from her scholarship.

Any athlete who transfers from one school to another is "released" from their scholarship. Every athlete that goes from one DI to another has to sit out a year. The only exception may be when a school drops a sport. Then an athlete in that sport may be able to move to another without having to sit for a year.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow...It looks different around here...(new look at the top of the page)..I wish Mr. Brewster the best...he has been good for UND...especially recruiting. Anyone know if the women's BB schedule is out yet?? Can hardly wait!

• 2 months later...